2024 1st round pick #4 is Marvin Harrison Jr

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I was going to abstain from this thread but it's still pretty stupid. He's played about 1/3 of his rookie year and asked to be #1 target and has teams game planning for him. He's going against bigger, stronger, faster DB's as the #1 option and adjusting. It's going to be a process.

I agree the drop on the last drive was ridiculous and needs to be caught. But now, he's "not a dog" or passive. You guys know nothing about his personality on, or off, the field. I also agree that having a legit veteran, someone for the defense to focus on, opposite of him would have been a big help. But that's not the case. He didn't start at OSU as a freshman. In fact, barely was factor until the bowl game against Utah. Then exploded year 2.

The weird thing I've noticed is when he's pretty open, Murray seems to not see him but when he's in close quarters, Murray targets him.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
That's not what your statement was.
Open it up to all positions. Please name all the players of late that show that a lot of players have been considered generational. I'm genuinely curious where you're getting this from.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Lmao there's 3-4 "generational talents" every single draft.

Joe Alt recently, Kyle Pitts & Bijan Robinson. Leonard Fournette, Trevor Lawrence, Noah Fant, Kyler Murray, Trent Richardson, Andrew Luck, Chase Young, Saquan, Reggie Bush

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was going to abstain from this thread but it's still pretty stupid. He's played about 1/3 of his rookie year and asked to be #1 target and has teams game planning for him. He's going against bigger, stronger, faster DB's as the #1 option and adjusting. It's going to be a process.

I agree the drop on the last drive was ridiculous and needs to be caught. But now, he's "not a dog" or passive. You guys know nothing about his personality on, or off, the field. I also agree that having a legit veteran, someone for the defense to focus on, opposite of him would have been a big help. But that's not the case. He didn't start at OSU as a freshman. In fact, barely was factor until the bowl game against Utah. Then exploded year 2.

The weird thing I've noticed is when he's pretty open, Murray seems to not see him but when he's in close quarters, Murray targets him.

how is a thread about our first pick stupid?

He's currently on pace for 41 catches and over 700 yards. not horrible but not 4th overall pick best WR in the draft handed the top WR spot good.

Again one of the things that really caught me last night was how Orlovsky kept saying we needed to put Marv in the slot more because that's where he's most effective, we didn't draft him 4th overall and make him the X receiver, to line up in the slot. I have no issue with moving him around but 7 games in if we're having to put him in the slot to get him open that's a little concerning.

He was being covered by a rookie most of last night, they had safety help yes but other than the one play where he was wide open but Kyler was running for his life, and one high throw by Kyler too high for Marv, there wasn't too many he's open and didn't get the ball plays. Even the one that Conner dropped where Dan O wanted it to go to Marv, he was really that much more open than Conner and the throw to Conner was a much easier throw, he just dropped it.

For this offense to get better we need big plays, the guys we were counting on to provide that from the draft, Marv and Benson, aren't doing it.

I watched one of those QB analysis channels today while waiting at the doctors office and they were saying the same thing, the fact that they're moving him into the slot to get favorable matchups has to be concerning, you expected him to be able to win 1 on 1 outside, and even against doubles sometimes that was something everyone said in college he's being doubled more than anybody and still always open.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Lmao there's 3-4 "generational talents" every single draft.

Joe Alt recently, Kyle Pitts & Bijan Robinson. Leonard Fournette, Trevor Lawrence, Noah Fant, Kyler Murray, Trent Richardson, Andrew Luck, Chase Young, Saquan, Reggie Bush
This list is your evidence of 3-4 players being labeled generational talents every single draft? Lol.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Open it up to all positions. Please name all the players of late that show that a lot of players have been considered generational. I'm genuinely curious where you're getting this from.
Caleb Williams
Brock Bowers
Bijan Robinson
Jalen Carter
Trevor Lawrence
Kyle Pitts
Saquon Barkley
Quenton Nelson
Roquan Smith
Myles Garrett
Jadeveon Clowney
Cam Newton

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Caleb Williams
Brock Bowers
Bijan Robinson
Jalen Carter
Trevor Lawrence
Kyle Pitts
Saquon Barkley
Quenton Nelson
Roquan Smith
Myles Garrett
Jadeveon Clowney
Cam Newton
We can quibble over the generational nature of some of these names, but this doesn't strike me as "a lot" by any standard.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Seems like a decent sample size from memory to dispute your claim. Weird hill to die on.
You stated there were 3-4 from every draft and didn't name close to that.

Looking at your list, I bolded who I thought might fit the label: Joe Alt recently, Kyle Pitts & Bijan Robinson. Leonard Fournette, Trevor Lawrence, Noah Fant, Kyler Murray, Trent Richardson, Andrew Luck, Chase Young, Saquan, Reggie Bush

I do love the random Reggie Bush inclusion from 20 years ago.

Regardless, you're naming maybe 1 or 2 guys a year, which for an entire generation doesn't seem like a lot!

Dan H

ASFN Addict
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
how is a thread about our first pick stupid?

He's currently on pace for 41 catches and over 700 yards. not horrible but not 4th overall pick best WR in the draft handed the top WR spot good.

Again one of the things that really caught me last night was how Orlovsky kept saying we needed to put Marv in the slot more because that's where he's most effective, we didn't draft him 4th overall and make him the X receiver, to line up in the slot. I have no issue with moving him around but 7 games in if we're having to put him in the slot to get him open that's a little concerning.

He was being covered by a rookie most of last night, they had safety help yes but other than the one play where he was wide open but Kyler was running for his life, and one high throw by Kyler too high for Marv, there wasn't too many he's open and didn't get the ball plays. Even the one that Conner dropped where Dan O wanted it to go to Marv, he was really that much more open than Conner and the throw to Conner was a much easier throw, he just dropped it.

For this offense to get better we need big plays, the guys we were counting on to provide that from the draft, Marv and Benson, aren't doing it.

I watched one of those QB analysis channels today while waiting at the doctors office and they were saying the same thing, the fact that they're moving him into the slot to get favorable matchups has to be concerning, you expected him to be able to win 1 on 1 outside, and even against doubles sometimes that was something everyone said in college he's being doubled more than anybody and still always open.
Fitz was 3rd overall and had 58 for 780.

Everyone needs to relax.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In my unscientific opinion, I don't hear "generational talent" used a lot to describe players here or anywhere else. It seems to me that term is thrown around in a negative way to attack players who are not as good as some think they should be.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It’s okay to just admit he’s really underwhelming so far. To call the thread pretty stupid in the face of what’s going on on the field continues to paint you as nothing more than the Kyler Can Do No Wrong crowd.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
It’s okay to just admit he’s really underwhelming so far. To call the thread pretty stupid in the face of what’s going on on the field continues to paint you as nothing more than the Kyler Can Do No Wrong crowd.
Yeah it’s not like Malik Nabers and Brian Thomas aren’t going through the same stuff.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah it’s not like Malik Nabers and Brian Thomas aren’t going through the same stuff.
Hell, even Keon Coleman is playing at the same level as Marv and he was taken 20ish picks later, facing the same stuff.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Caleb Williams
Brock Bowers
Bijan Robinson
Jalen Carter
Trevor Lawrence
Kyle Pitts
Saquon Barkley
Quenton Nelson
Roquan Smith
Myles Garrett
Jadeveon Clowney
Cam Newton
And some of those were not hailed as generational. Just exceptional.
I was all for Q. Nelson but never heard him called generational before the draft..."once in a decade guard prospect" seems to ring a bell

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fitz was 3rd overall and had 58 for 780.

Everyone needs to relax.

But Fitz wasn't drafted to be the #1 guy, he was sharing the ball with Boldin and I think we had Breaston then too.

Dan H

ASFN Addict
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
But Fitz wasn't drafted to be the #1 guy, he was sharing the ball with Boldin and I think we had Breaston then too.
Boldin only played 10 games and the other leading receivers in 2004 were Skillet Hands and Freddie Jones. Breaston's rookie year was 2007.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Off topic, but how the hell is Jamesen Williams only suspended two games? If he were a Cardinal, after his history, he’d be gone a year.
Why should he have been suspended more than two games? That's what the CBA dictates for a first-time violation of the performance enhancing substances policy... which has nothing to do with the gambling policy.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Not worried about Marv.
Marv is a rookie.
Marv is playing like a rookie.
Legacy players do not pick up right where daddy left off.

Lumps, disappointments, and learning curves are all part of the process.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Hell, even Keon Coleman is playing at the same level as Marv and he was taken 20ish picks later, facing the same stuff.
Nabers had 4 catches for 41 yards last game. He’s really had 1 big game.

Coleman, Thomas, and Oduzne are all 2nd, 3rd, or even 4th options. They’re not the focus of the defense and have veteran WR’s commanding attention.

I’m not saying Harrison hasn’t struggled. I’m saying it’s not surprising with the position he’s been put in with all the expectations.

I’m saying I think the thread is stupid because of all the projections on to his personality and toughness and to think a rookie is going to step right into the #1 role on a team lacking in veteran WR talent and expect him to dominate NFL DBs and schemes from the get go.

I said the same thing about when people were already writing off Trey Benson.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan