Supporting Member
Reaction score
Patty Mills signs with the Jazz.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Report LaMelo Ball plans to wear ankle braces this coming season.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I know ankles are critical. When I started playing Bball as a kid I kept twisting my ankles all the time. I had to do tons of calf raises to stop that from happening. Cutting, jumping, landing, changing directions, all at high speed are all ankle breakers. IDK how he's going to overcome all the ankle injuries he's had. Skeptical of the braces. I wish him the best.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Ball brother's dad apparently had them doing sprints up rather steep hills, several days a week from their early childhood, all the way through starting college.

The work ethic that takes is impressive but it also appears to have leveled a devastating toll on these dude's leg joints.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
The Ball brother's dad apparently had them doing sprints up rather steep hills, several days a week from their early childhood, all the way through starting college.

The work ethic that takes is impressive but it also appears to have leveled a devastating toll on these dude's leg joints.
I have been reading how modern training mixes in bicycle and pool work to get the muscles strong while sparing the joints. More emphasis on recovery than in the past.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I know ankles are critical. When I started playing Bball as a kid I kept twisting my ankles all the time. I had to do tons of calf raises to stop that from happening. Cutting, jumping, landing, changing directions, all at high speed are all ankle breakers. IDK how he's going to overcome all the ankle injuries he's had. Skeptical of the braces. I wish him the best.
It’s why we wore high tops back in those days.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s why we wore high tops back in those days.
High tops don't really work. I had a 90 degree separation playing ball in high tops. First thing my physical therapist told me is high tops were marketing hype. The majority of high tops wouldn't prevent the ankle from buckling and recommended wearing ankle supports when playing ball.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
High tops don't really work. I had a 90 degree separation playing ball in high tops. First thing my physical therapist told me is high tops were marketing hype. The majority of high tops wouldn't prevent the ankle from buckling and recommended wearing ankle supports when playing ball.
Ha! I didn't say they WORKED. I said that why we wore them. We certainly THOUGHT they worked.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, it was excepted as a truth when we were young.

This is true. I had more confidence wearing high tops. My guess is it still protects some parts of the foot, but players don't like to sacrifice the mobility low tops give.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I still rolled by ankle at least once a season, usually landing on someones foot after a rebound

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have been reading how modern training mixes in bicycle and pool work to get the muscles strong while sparing the joints. More emphasis on recovery than in the past.

More and more studies have shown that giving youth access to a wide variety of athletics lead to far greater outcomes in ability and health down the road than kids that focus on one sport.

There are some obvious ways that have presented on a large stage, like how many successful quarterbacks also played baseball, they learned how to throw from odd angles and on the run, but there are examples all over... Steve Nash playing soccer and seeing the field, the spacing and the passing lanes and expressing that through basketball. Most importantly, physical fitness, having the muscle memory to catch your weight from odd angles, and at the same time not having the constant, repetitive stress from only doing one activity your whole life... for the Ball brothers, running up a hill, for many NBA players, merely jumping and landing and the stress that takes on their knees, we see it the most in baseball, where many pitchers ruin their arms in their early 20s because they've done nothing but throw as hard as they can and nothing else athletically for a decade.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Things are out of control when guys like Kuminga are demanding full max contracts. Dude last season averaged 16.2 PPG, 2.2 Assists, 3.9 Rebounds, shot 52.9% from the field, and 32% from 3. He had a decent year last year but he has to do much better than that this year to justify that contract. No way is he worth a max contract right now.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Things are out of control when guys like Kuminga are demanding full max contracts. Dude last season averaged 16.2 PPG, 2.2 Assists, 3.9 Rebounds, shot 52.9% from the field, and 32% from 3. He had a decent year last year but he has to do much better than that this year to justify that contract. No way is he worth a max contract right now.
By all means, demand whatever you want. You are only worth what the highest bidder will give you. No way he gets offered the max. Who will be dumb enough. Not even the Wizards.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised no NBA team has signed Guerschon Yabusele of French Olympic team. I'd make room for him based on what I have seen.

Last edited:

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Well probably not but he is improving quite quickly. There are worse guys getting the max than him.

Reaction score
Suns history. Would you take pre-injury Antonio McDyess or pre-injury Amare Stoudemire, who was for all intense and purposes a replacement for McDyess? I would certainly take pre-injury McDyess, because he could play defense and was no slouch offensively. A more balanced player and probably as good an athlete as Stoudemire.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well probably not but he is improving quite quickly. There are worse guys getting the max than him.

Ayton, MPJ, and I'd say Lamelo as well all fit that criteria.

I believe Kuminga wants out of GS. If anyone remembers there were midseason reports he lost faith in his game developing there and wanted out. Those reports were walked back some but that had more to do with players getting fined for asking for trades now in the new CBA, IMO. He was covering himself. Now there's something he can do though and that's play hardball on an extension.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns history. Would you take pre-injury Antonio McDyess or pre-injury Amare Stoudemire, who was for all intense and purposes a replacement for McDyess? I would certainly take pre-injury McDyess, because he could play defense and was no slouch offensively. A more balanced player and probably as good an athlete as Stoudemire.
He was close to the natural dynamo that Amare was. He would have ended up one of the best offensive players of all time, IMO. And if they ever got him a coach that stressed D, he could have been at least solid there as well.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Can you try and keep your posts in the right threads? This question has nothing to do with 2024-25 NBA season. I know it's the off-season and it's slow but this is how threads get derailed and end up taking on new life.

Feel free to start a "Suns history" or "What If" thread.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

Amare easily. He was unstoppable at 22 and progressed so much in 3 years that there was no offensive ceiling. He was never a strong defender but pre-injury Amare was capable of making spectacular plays anywhere. I remember when the Suns had training camp in Tucson and it was being reported he needed knee surgery. There was no social media and we didn’t know the extent of the injury. It’s the most devastating “what if” in valley history behind the Kareem coin flip.