2024-2025 Around the NBA Thread

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's also deep in his own head. Golden State fans cheered him and tried to bring him up no matter how bad he was playing, I suspect Dallas fans will not be so loving when Klay goes 3-13... Luka probably won't either.
This. Unless he has a turnaround he appears to be a shell of his former self. If that proves to be a misstep for the Mavs? Sweet.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It feels like everyone has signed with the Clippers. Seems like they have 30 players on their roster.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Chaplin

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
It feels like everyone has signed with the Clippers. Seems like they have 30 players on their roster.

Losing PG is a blow. And Westbrook too. It's Harden and Kawhi and a bunch of retreads.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Western Conference Tiers:

Cream of the crop: Thunder, Wolves
Contenders: Nuggets, Mavs
Capable of winning a playoff series if opposing team has injuries: Suns, Lakers, Pelicans, Kings
No man’s land/purgatory: Warriors, Clippers, Grizzlies
Two years away from being pretty good: Rockets, Spurs
Absolute trash: Jazz, Blazers

Lorenzo

Reaction score
This. Unless he has a turnaround he appears to be a shell of his former self. If that proves to be a misstep for the Mavs? Sweet.
I like the move, don't love it. I don't know that it will be a misstep with what they gave up and what they are paying him. what I respect about the mavs, comparative to the cowboys, stars, and even tex rangers after last year, is that they aren't just standing pat and losing guys in FA and hoping things will get better. today the mavs made a big move to get a third scorer that is far more reliable than what they had to end the season. Klay is not the player that he was, but dallas wouldn't have him otherwise, and don't need him to be that version. they need him to make some open shots at near 40% level.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the move, don't love it. I don't know that it will be a misstep with what they gave up and what they are paying him. what I respect about the mavs, comparative to the cowboys, stars, and even tex rangers after last year, is that they aren't just standing pat and losing guys in FA and hoping things will get better. today the mavs made a big move to get a third scorer that is far more reliable than what they had to end the season. Klay is not the player that he was, but dallas wouldn't have him otherwise, and don't need him to be that version. they need him to make some open shots at near 40% level.

I think this has the potential to be another good trade by Dallas. The Mavs only trade Josh Green and a couple of second round picks to get Klay Thompson. With two stars around him, he should get a lot of open looks. I'm sure Klay wants to prove he is still a star caliber player. It's a risk, but not a huge one. Plus, Dallas remains a very deep team, a team that made it to the Finals.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Capable of winning a playoff series if opposing team has injuries: Suns, Lakers, Pelicans, Kings

I think the Grizzlies are going to be a lot better next year, health permitting.

I also think the Rockets are kind of listless, but that is probably because I think Jalen Green is a chucker who can't shoot, closer to being Kelly Oubre than a star.

I also would toss the Lakers into the purgatory with potential to really have the wheels fly off. Might put the Kings in pergatory too and the Suns are for sure headed there, if they are not there already.

The good news for the Suns is, other than the Grizzlies, I don't think anyone else got significantly better and I think a lot of teams out west got worse.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I think the Grizzlies are going to be a lot better next year, health permitting.

I also think the Rockets are kind of listless, but that is probably because I think Jalen Green is a chucker who can't shoot, closer to being Kelly Oubre than a star.

I also would toss the Lakers into the purgatory with potential to really have the wheels fly off. Might put the Kings in pergatory too and the Suns are for sure headed there, if they are not there already.

The good news for the Suns is, other than the Grizzlies, I don't think anyone else got significantly better and I think a lot of teams out west got worse.

Houston has a lot of picks to trade including ours. I’m a believer in Udoka but you’re probably right about Green.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
LOL

Warriors ended up getting 2 2nd rounders for Klay Thompson in the sign-and-trade. I'm sure Curry is super happy now.
He should be. I don't care what anyone says getting rid of Klay is addition by subtraction.

I think Dallas is absolutely nuts wanting him.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I don't think Rockets and Spurs are two years away. Both could be quite good this year.

I without a doubt would switch the Suns roster for eithers happily.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think this has the potential to be another good trade by Dallas. The Mavs only trade Josh Green and a couple of second round picks to get Klay Thompson. With two stars around him, he should get a lot of open looks. I'm sure Klay wants to prove he is still a star caliber player. It's a risk, but not a huge one. Plus, Dallas remains a very deep team, a team that made it to the Finals.

I always believed that with major injuries, it takes more than a few years to recover. Its been about 4? i think since both injuries and I think we will see a bounce back year for Klay. But yes he'll need to do less off the ball and do more catch and shoot.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I always believed that with major injuries, it takes more than a few years to recover. Its been about 4? i think since both injuries and I think we will see a bounce back year for Klay. But yes he'll need to do less off the ball and do more catch and shoot.
He is 4 years older.

Teams often get sucked into the trap of believing they are getting some version of the guy he used to be.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yeah, Klay missed a couple of seasons with injury. It's a risk but the Mavericks are in the position to take it. If he returns anywhere near his previous form, it could help Dallas get over the hump. I really like the Mavericks depth.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah, Klay missed a couple of seasons with injury. It's a risk but the Mavericks are in the position to take it. If he returns anywhere near his previous form, it could help Dallas get over the hump. I really like the Mavericks depth.

They lost two JR's for Klay. I'm not sure if they going to do something to replace DJJr.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They lost two JR's for Klay. I'm not sure if they going to do something to replace DJJr.

I think Naji Marshall helps with the loss of Jones.

The Mavs have a solid roster.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
James Wiseman goes to the Pacers.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I think Naji Marshall helps with the loss of Jones.

The Mavs have a solid roster.

good post! Jones Jr. was wanting more money. The mavericks had Jones Jr. on a bargain deal which was great for both sides last season. Jones Jr. gave them very little in the way of scoring other than wide open dunks. his 3 point shot completely disappeared after the 2nd round of the playoffs. Jones and many other players were a liability on offense through large stretches of the playoffs, particularly the finals. dallas had to address that aspect of their team and they have, but still could do more. I like that they kept J. Hardy and didn't trade him away. He's a guy that is a pure scorer and has some upside. I hope that he takes a step forward next year.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
He should be. I don't care what anyone says getting rid of Klay is addition by subtraction.

I think Dallas is absolutely nuts wanting him.
I highly doubt curry or Lebron who also wanted Thompson see it that way.

it was a different time and a completely different player, but I remember when dallas got Marion. I didn't think much of it at the time because I thought Marion's career was over. Turns out that Marion was one of their top players on their title team. Older players who are on the down side can still be valuable. and I don't know if suns fans fully appreciated what Marion brought to the table in how he defended players like dirk and Tony Parker. The mavs don't need Thompson to be the player he was in the past. they need him to make the open clutch shots because that is something that they are lacking. If he can average 15 points a game for dallas that is a big deal.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
He is 4 years older.

Teams often get sucked into the trap of believing they are getting some version of the guy he used to be.
I doubt that the mavericks see Thompson as the player that he once was. J-Kidd knows the value of what Klay can bring to the team in his old age. Thompson can make open shots and spread the floor. He is comfortable taking clutch shots. that is what dallas lacked in the finals.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Boston’s owner won a title and said I’m out:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Boston’s owner won a title and said I’m out:

There's like $700 million owed to Jayson and Jaylen. Throw in Jrue and Derrick White and they're over a billion owed in the next 4 years or so. Can't blame him for selling high.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stbmd