2024-2025 Around the NBA Thread

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Sounds like a coaching problem with Mikal. He doesn't seem the type to have an ego or inner circle pushing and pulling him like a Kawhi Leonard type so I'd be hesitant to blame him for the change on his own rather than someone tried to fix what wasn't broken. Maybe it was someone with the Nets or the Knicks but I'd lean more towards Nets since they're a bad team who wanted him to be THE MAN rather than a complimentary player so who knows. Coaching it out of him should be possible since he's a smart player who has been an malleable player all his career in the spotlight, including college.

Mikal averaged 30ppg over 18 games for Brooklyn during that post-trade run two years ago on high efficiency. It was a fluke but I saw it with my own eyes. He was scoring from everywhere on the court and it’s not like they didn’t start to guard him differently after the 18th game.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mikal averaged 30ppg over 18 games for Brooklyn during that post-trade run two years ago on high efficiency. It was a fluke but I saw it with my own eyes. He was scoring from everywhere on the court and it’s not like they didn’t start to guard him differently after the 18th game.

I thought Bridges' game together before the Suns traded him. Hopefully no one is tinkering with his game.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Killian Hayes was released. Never really got it together but he has some height for a guard.

Looks like Monty didn’t like him, his minutes went down. Then the Nets, who knows what they are doing now.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Someone talk me down from Jamarion Sharp. I'd like two have him on a two-way contract if the Suns had room.

At least he knows where to play.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hey @Phrazbit please give us your take on whether the Suns should bring in Killian Hayes....

Everyone else can thank me later.

I was, literally, about to respond here, just flat out blasting off. Seeing your post made me laugh out loud.

He's awful, mega extreme terrible, there is no aspect of NBA ball that is isn't abjectly horrible at. He's Elfird Payton, only without the hair as an excuse.

Killian Hayes is a historically bad NBA player. Anyone who signs him and puts him on the court is worthy of an involuntary stint in an asylum.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eurohoops makes a stat comparison of Lebron James and Luka Doncic during their first six years in the NBA.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Armando Linwood Bacot Jr. is an American professional basketball player for the Memphis Grizzlies of the National Basketball Association. He played college basketball for the North Carolina Tar Heels of the Atlantic Coast Conference. He holds the program records for double-doubles and career rebounds. Wikipedia
Born: 2000 (age 24 years), Richmond, VA
Current team: Memphis Grizzlies (#00 / Center, Power forward)
Education: Trinity Episcopal School, IMG Academy
Parents: Christie Lomax, Armando Bacot Sr.
Height: 6′ 11″
League: NBA
Listed weight: 240 lb (109 kg)

Don't know anything about this guy. Just saw his pedigree at North Carolina. "He holds the program records for double-doubles and career rebounds." On the Tar Heels, this has some weight. We need rebounding. Could be interesting to kick the tires on this one?
Dirt worker. Earthbound. Good space rebounder but that’s it. Not an athlete.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lonnie Walker is available. He could help a contender. I wonder if the Suns have any interest.

I still cannot understand why Lonnie Walker is not on an NBA roster. He could help many teams, even a contender.

I've always been about BPA.

If the Suns were interested, a player could be waived later on to add a big man.

I have similar feelings about Collin Gillespie, but at least the Suns have him on a two-way contract.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I still cannot understand why Lonnie Walker is not on an NBA roster. He could help many teams, even a contender.

If the Suns were interested, a player could be waived later on to add a big man.

I have similar feelings about Collin Gillespie, but at least the Suns have him on a two-way contract.

The two way is great EXCEPT, I believe two way players are not available in the playoffs. So if we do find Gillespie a must have, we have to give him a full contract. Also, they can only play in half the regular season games. Makes you wonder if we grabbed him for availability next season when both the Morris and Jones contracts are expired?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think BPA is usually the right approach when drafting but not for rounding out a roster. Fit becomes even more important than actual talent when you're talking about the end of bench players. Nothing wrecks a team faster than locker room problems and nothing creates more locker room problems than disgruntled players. To be clear, I'm not saying this about Lonnie Walker specifically as I have no idea what kind of a fit he'd be in Phoenix. Nor am I suggesting that talent doesn't matter for those final spots, it just shouldn't be the only consideration.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Eurohoops makes a stat comparison of Lebron James and Luka Doncic during their first six years in the NBA.

Lebron’s first 6 years in the league were during an era where scoring and pace were way down compared to the last several years. There were still playoff games in the mid-2000’s where neither team was breaking 80 points.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The two way is great EXCEPT, I believe two way players are not available in the playoffs. So if we do find Gillespie a must have, we have to give him a full contract. Also, they can only play in half the regular season games. Makes you wonder if we grabbed him for availability next season when both the Morris and Jones contracts are expired?

I think the Suns want Gillespie primarily for the future and insurance at the point guard in case of injury.

Since I think the Suns want to keep him long term, it is why I have eyed the Suns signing him to a four-year contract now.

Minimally, I think he is a quality backup point guard. This has not changed my thinking the Suns will still need to find a rotation 4/5 before the playoffs. The Suns would need to waive someone to accomplish both.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think BPA is usually the right approach when drafting but not for rounding out a roster. Fit becomes even more important than actual talent when you're talking about the end of bench players. Nothing wrecks a team faster than locker room problems and nothing creates more locker room problems than disgruntled players. To be clear, I'm not saying this about Lonnie Walker specifically as I have no idea what kind of a fit he'd be in Phoenix. Nor am I suggesting that talent doesn't matter for those final spots, it just shouldn't be the only consideration.

Definitely, the Suns do not want a disruptive player or one that doesn't fit their scheme. I think BPA would have this caveat.

However, I wouldn't want the Suns to add a player that serves no purpose, like they did last season by adding Isaiah Thomas to the roster. I do like some edge on a player, though. It can't be all milk and cookies.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lebron’s first 6 years in the league were during an era where scoring and pace were way down compared to the last several years. There were still playoff games in the mid-2000’s where neither team was breaking 80 points.

Yeah, I was just surfing the internet when I found this. The stats numbers are interesting.

Before, I never thought of Lebron and Doncic in the same breath. I guess championships will be defining.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I think the Suns want Gillespie primarily for the future and insurance at the point guard in case of injury.

Since I think the Suns want to keep him long term, it is why I have eyed the Suns signing him to a four-year contract now.

Minimally, I think he is a quality backup point guard. This has not changed my thinking the Suns will still need to find a rotation 4/5 before the playoffs. The Suns would need to waive someone to accomplish both.
Yes. Back up and second unit scoring machine. Can he score against starting NBA players? Yes. Is he great against these starters? No. However, he's kinds one of those tweeter guys. Better than bench guys, not quite a starter. Coming in with the second unit, he would be fantastic. I can see why the Suns grabbed him on a two year deal.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes. Back up and second unit scoring machine. Can he score against starting NBA players? Yes. Is he great against these starters? No. However, he's kinds one of those tweeter guys. Better than bench guys, not quite a starter. Coming in with the second unit, he would be fantastic. I can see why the Suns grabbed him on a two year deal.

Yeah, I give the Suns credit for snagging him on a two-way contract. However, at the time, Tyus Jones had not been signed.

I want to keep him happy going forward.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Yeah, I give the Suns credit for snagging him on a two-way contract. However, at the time, Tyus Jones had not been signed.

I want to keep him happy going forward.
I think he's looking for any regular contract. In theory, doing what you say will be cheaper now than in the future. I think the Suns want to see how some regular season games go first. Heck, from what I saw Thursday, minus Grayson playing, it was hard to get him into the game.

I would be happy seeing Bud spread the minutes more not less. Let's hope the plan works and the suns can rest starters at the end of the 4th in each game.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And that comparison completely ignores Luka's weakest area, that being defense.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Definitely, the Suns do not want a disruptive player or one that doesn't fit their scheme. I think BPA would have this caveat.

However, I wouldn't want the Suns to add a player that serves no purpose, like they did last season by adding Isaiah Thomas to the roster. I do like some edge on a player, though. It can't be all milk and cookies.

I'm not pushing for the Suns to sign Jae Crowder, but he is an example of such a player when he first came to Phoenix.

The Suns could use some nastiness and length. However, adding such a player is easier said than done.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It looks like Monty Williams will be coaching high school basketball, where his son is a student.

This should be a good fit and where he will be happy.