2024 Draft Countdown/NFL Prospects thread

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea, I find it astounding as hell that McCarthy could go in the first round let alone in the top 5.

Agree. I cannot believe he is being hyped to that level. I wouldn't put him ahead of Nix or Penix even. But, then you think of Richardson and Lance.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Eh. The chance that both WRs turn into superstars is very small. In the meantime, you can play both of them at the same time, plus Michael Wilson and/or Rondale Moore and/or Greg Dortch.

I think the Cards have more needs than just WR to justify concentrating resources at the position. If this roster comes out of the first two waves of free agency stronger than I expect right now, I wouldn't mind them doubling down at WR, Edge, or CB, to be honest.
A lot depends on what the Cardinals do at 4, but I agree.

OT, CB, DT, EDGE are all options at 27 that should have decent prospects available.

What is kinda funny is that taking a WR at 4 limits the rest of the draft for the Cardinals because it doesn't allow them to really take advantage of the depth available.

If the Cardinals traded back and then selected

Dallas Turner - EDGE (let's say Giants at 6)
Adonai Mitchell - WR (27) (might have to trade up)
Troy Fautanu - OT (35)
Kris Jenkins - DT (39 Giants round 2)

If all of those players hit, that probably results in the best haul but a WR at 4 (6 in this scenario)

Nabers/Odunze - WR
Armarius Mims - OT (27)
Ennnis Rakestraw - CB (35)
Jenkins or Cooper Beebe at 39

Probably my favorite trade down scenario would be the above scenario with the Giants

6- Nabers / Odunze
Trade up to the early 20s - Byron Murphy (2025 2nd if needed)
35 - Kingsley Suamataia / Troy Fautanu
39 - Devondre Sweat

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
sure seems like he is going round 1, and prior to 27

i think the OTs who could fall are Mims (injury history / lack of experience), Guyton (lack of experience) and Morgan (average physicals)
I would on Morgan. Guyton and Mims are tough because they have prototype builds that NFL teams love. i think Fautanu is better but that doesn't mean he will be drafted first.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I would on Morgan. Guyton and Mims are tough because they have prototype builds that NFL teams love. i think Fautanu is better but that doesn't mean he will be drafted first.
Guyton is a unit. Dudes knuckles nearly drag the ground. Teams love those long arms

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's not too crazy. With the overall depth of the WR class, the Cardinals can make the case that you could get a WR later who can be an impact player.

People seem so sure that the top 3 guys are going to produce the best WR's in this class. History shows that rarely happens.

It's not inconceivable that AD Mitchell or Brian Thomas or Troy Franklin have the best careers.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think the plan might be to try and wait out Humphries return. Probably sign a midtier vet and then draft a developmental guy.

Hump is already on the downslope. His ACL injury should really be the final straw in what is an elite tackle class.

I'd be fine with Morgan or Rosengarten at #35 though to play RT.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Hump is already on the downslope. His ACL injury should really be the final straw in what is an elite tackle class.

I'd be fine with Morgan or Rosengarten at #35 though to play RT.
The Cardinals probably can get by with Beach and a lesser vet at RT and let the OT rush push a really prospect at a different position to #27 and #35.

Multiple ways to skin a cat.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Cardinals probably can get by with Beach and a lesser vet at RT and let the OT rush push a really prospect at a different position to #27 and #35.

Multiple ways to skin a cat.

Kyle Odegard said the Cards will not go into the season intending to start Beech. Said that at 35 they see him just as a backup option.

akg102

Veteran
Reaction score
People seem so sure that the top 3 guys are going to produce the best WR's in this class. History shows that rarely happens.

It's not inconceivable that AD Mitchell or Brian Thomas or Troy Franklin have the best careers.

I think Mitchell is the one that's likely to hit from that group. I think he'll have a better career than Nabers with a decent QB.

Card'em

All Star
Reaction score
Tackles like Jordan Morgan or Kingsley Suamataia will hopefully be available with the 27th pick in the first round or even with their early second round pick. It's likely that the top 7 tackles will be gone by pick 27 in the first round.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Given the certainty that three QBs, and possibly four or five will be selected in round one, the CARDS #35 pick is a de facto first rounder amongst position players available.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Mitchell is the one that's likely to hit from that group. I think he'll have a better career than Nabers with a decent QB.

WR is a tough position to call. Nobody expected Kupp, Nacua, Tyreek, Diggs, AJ Brown, Keenan Allen, Davante Adams etc to be the best WR's in their class.

Excluding the last couple of drafts as it's still early, the only receivers that have gone #1 and turned out to be the best in the class are Chase and Moore. And I think they are the only 2 since Megatron.

And I think a none first round guy has turned out to be the best in that span more times than 1st round guys.

On saying that I'm confident the top 3 guys in this draft will be very good players, it just wouldn't surprise me if in 5 years time some 2nd round guy had the better career.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
WR is a tough position to call. Nobody expected Kupp, Nacua, Tyreek, Diggs, AJ Brown, Keenan Allen, Davante Adams etc to be the best WR's in their class.

Excluding the last couple of drafts as it's still early, the only receivers that have gone #1 and turned out to be the best in the class are Chase and Moore. And I think they are the only 2 since Megatron.

And I think a none first round guy has turned out to be the best in that span more times than 1st round guys.

On saying that I'm confident the top 3 guys in this draft will be very good players, it just wouldn't surprise me if in 5 years time some 2nd round guy had the better career.
Worth mentioning that the Cards don't need the best WR in the draft class to continue improving; they just need a guy who can consistently be in the top 12. You don't have to focus on winning the lottery; just accumulate Ws.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Worth mentioning that the Cards don't need the best WR in the draft class to continue improving; they just need a guy who can consistently be in the top 12. You don't have to focus on winning the lottery; just accumulate Ws.

For sure. Just pointing out people seem very certain X or Y will be the best guy and it rarely works out that way.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Graham Barton possibly gone by 27

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

602 Native

Reaction score
Just remember Mac Jones, and Zach Wilson were both over drafted after putting up meh numbers and accomplishments in college.

Happens most of the time for QBs.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Alt
Fashanu
Fuaga
Latham
Mims
Fautanu
Guyton
Barton
Morgan
Suamataia

It’s a deep enough class than at least 2-3 of those guys will be around at #27. If the Cards go DL or corner at #27 I think we see them trade up from #35 for a remaining tackle.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Even non-superstars get paid at WR.

Imagine having to pay a top 10 WR contract (likely highest paid WR with the way contracts work) and another guy who would possibly fit in the top 10-20 spot if he worked out.

Nope, I'll wait until round three and get a solid guy while also signing a veteran.
what if the round 3 guy turns out to be a star? I know less likely but possible.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ryderckarm