2024 Draft Countdown/NFL Prospects thread

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
This is what is tough.

On one hand, you need multiple high level weapons to consistently succeed in the league. That X-Factor with another very good weapon beside him to transform that offense. Even if MHJR isn’t there, I believe Nabers fits this bill as well.

On the other hand, I love the thought of having a dominant OLine. I love the thought of a Nick Bosa or TJ Watt making little to no impact because they’re getting locked down on both sides at EDGE. When you’re in the playoffs, you know you’re going against multiple great/elite EDGE players. Love the thought of a OLine just taking over the game.

It’s so tough. Glad I’m not the one making that decision.
Yeah. MHJ is the only WR I am considering over Fashanu and possibly Alt. He is just such a unique prosect and has the combination of size and speed I feel Kyler needs.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I get that argument also, but while drafting Fash forecloses the possibility of MHJ, there are a handful of better-than-Hollywood WRs in every draft and we could potentially get such a player with one of our other picks.

I don’t understand falling in love with individual prospects in general tho.

Indeed, it's not like MHJ is the only good WR in this draft. And the drop off from the top O line is far steeper than the drop off between WR's.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Bengals are really the prime example of why O line is more valuable than WR.

You need both, but you need O line first, because what you can do with your WR's is dependant on your QB having time and not being on his ass.

The Bengals were one pass play away from winning the Superbowl. Chase was open, but Burrow was sacked before he could get the pass off. No matter how good your WR is they can't do anything if their QB is layed out.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
The Bengals are really the prime example of why O line is more valuable than WR.

You need both, but you need O line first, because what you can do with your WR's is dependant on your QB having time and not being on his ass.

The Bengals were one pass play away from winning the Superbowl. Chase was open, but Burrow was sacked before he could get the pass off. No matter how good your WR is they can't do anything if their QB is layed out.
So you're using 1 play to try and validate your point. The Bengals don't get to the SB without Jamar Chase.
The Bengals were in a situation much like the Cards. They were considering Chase or Sewell with their pick. Either get your QB weapons or draft to protect him. The Bengals made the right move and went with the better player, Chase.

The good thing about the Cards situation is, if things fall right, they can get Harrison and Alt.

Whatever happened to everyone saying draft BPA? If that's the case, it's not even a question. Harrison is the best player and it's not really all that close.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So you're using 1 play to try and validate your point. The Bengals don't get to the SB without Jamar Chase.
The Bengals were in a situation much like the Cards. They were considering Chase or Sewell with their pick. Either get your QB weapons or draft to protect him. The Bengals made the right move and went with the better player, Chase.

The good thing about the Cards situation is, if things fall right, they can get Harrison and Alt.

Whatever happened to everyone saying draft BPA? If that's the case, it's not even a question. Harrison is the best player and it's not really all that close.

Did they? Lions are dominating, Sewell is having a Pro Bowl / All Pro 2nd team minimum level season and Goff has been turned from a bum kicked out of LA into a legit QB. Partly because he has legit protection.

Your trenches are your foundations. Everything is built on them.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Did they? Lions are dominating, Sewell is having a Pro Bowl / All Pro 2nd team minimum level season and Goff has been turned from a bum kicked out of LA into a legit QB. Partly because he has legit protection.

Your trenches are your foundations. Everything is built on them.
This argument is terrible. Chase has already been an All Pro and Pro Bowler and was a primary contributor in consecutive runs to the Conference Championship and one to the Super Bowl.

There are multiple ways to do this, but there are no winners in an argument about whether the Bengals or Lions front offices are smarter.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After the Cards' week 11 loss, they're hanging on to a top 3 pick in the latest projection from The Athletic:
TeamProjected WinsPlayoff Chance
1. Carolina -> Chicago3.30.0%
2. NY Giants4.10.1%
3. Arizona4.30.1%
4. New England4.50.0%
5. Chicago5.41.0%
6. Washington5.80.7%
7. Tennessee6.00.5%
8. NY Jets7.03.7%
9. Las Vegas7.22.8%
10. LA Rams7.214.1%
Additional commentary related to the Cards:

It’s a ‘big’ week for the top 10​

• Carolina at Tennessee

• New England at New York Giants

The winner probably drops out of the race for No. 1.

• Los Angeles Rams at Arizona

Could Marvin Harrison Jr. change the Cardinals’ trajectory?​

As has been discussed and will continue to be discussed, the Cardinals could have a Kyler Murray decision to make this offseason. The 26-year-old quarterback still has five years left on his $220 million contract (although any guaranteed money runs out before that fifth year, 2028). Arizona, meanwhile, is projected to land at No. 2 in April’s draft and also holds Houston’s first-round slot (projected at No. 23), courtesy of a ’23 draft trade.

That’s a perfect setup to nab a QB (Caleb Williams or Drake Maye), then come back later in Round 1 to find another plug-and-play starter who can help accelerate a rebuild. Except … well, which plan gives this franchise more hope? Williams/Maye plus whatever comes later in Round 1? Or Murray plus Marvin Harrison Jr. — and maybe a little sweetener from trading down to No. 3?

Harrison is elite, full stop. Our draft guru, Dane Brugler, called him “the best wide receiver prospect that I have evaluated over the last decade.” He’d help shift that Arizona offense for the better, probably more quickly than any incoming QB could.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

Thanks for making the point for WRs, as the Bengals were and are not known for having a top OL group. They are known for having lots of weapons in the WR room, though.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Would love to get MHJ, but, imo, we'd probably have to draft in the top three in order to do that. Chicago is the key as they are certain to have the #1 pick. Don't know if they will stay with Fields or not. Pretty sure Giants and Patroits will go QB, so if the Bears decide that they'll stay with Fields, I can see a trade with NE or NY, if they are #2 or#3, and will still be able to get MHJ, after two QB's go. We'll still have options including:
1. Trade down if someone wants the 3rd QB.
2. Fashanu or Alt.
3. Top (whoever it is) defensive player in the draft.
4. A big WR. You choose.

I want to win every game, starting with the Rams, but know it will hurt the team in the long run. And that's the life of a Cardinals fan.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Thanks for making the point for WRs, as the Bengals were and are not known for having a top OL group. They are known for having lots of weapons in the WR room, though.

What did they win?

They averaged 23 points a game through the playoffs with that trio of WR's. Burrow was sacked 19x in the postseason. They won on defense, not their WR trio, by allowing 20.5 points per game.

Nobody is saying WR's are not important. They just aren't as important as your OL unit.

I'm fine with taking MHJ if he is there if the FO consider him the best talent on the board. I think the draft should be about talent over need. But back in the real world OL is more important that WR, which is obvious because for WR to perform they need the QB to perform, and for the QB to perform, they need an OL that can allow them the time.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
What did they win?

They averaged 23 points a game through the playoffs with that trio of WR's. Burrow was sacked 19x in the postseason. They won on defense, not their WR trio, by allowing 20.5 points per game.

Nobody is saying WR's are not important. They just aren't as important as your OL unit.

I'm fine with taking MHJ if he is there if the FO consider him the best talent on the board. I think the draft should be about talent over need. But back in the real world OL is more important that WR, which is obvious because for WR to perform they need the QB to perform, and for the QB to perform, they need an OL that can allow them the time.
They won their division and the AFC. Basing your theory on only winning the SB is ridiculous. That would mean Dan Marino was a bum and Tom Brady was a loser almost 2/3 of his career. I get the SB is the goal but that can't be your sole basis for analysis. There are so many factors that go in to winning a SB. Look at a couple years ago. Josh Allen and the Bills losing a coin flip was a huge factor in determining the SB winner.

Also, on the Cards SB run, Larry Fitzgerald absolutely dominated the playoffs. You can argue he WAS the reason they went to the SB. But, I guess it was a failure since they didn't win it all. The Cards starting OT's that year were Mike Gandy and Levi Brown.

I agree, take the best player. That's Harrison by a mile.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
What did they win?

@Cbus cardsfan nailed it in the post below. I do agree with the bolded statement above, and feel MHJ is the best player in the draft. Finally, the argument has never been "Is the WR position more important than the OL." That would be a silly argument, as the OL overall is clearly more important. The argument has been about if we should sink all of our top assets into the OL first and foremost, or if we should partly do so and take the top-end WR instead of spending all of our top draft assets on the OL. We spent a top 10 pick on OL last draft; we don't absolutely need to do so again in the upcoming draft.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Josh Allen and the Bills losing a coin flip was a huge factor in determining the SB winner.
I know it’s not the main point, but…

Would it really? They probably would’ve lost against Cinci in the AFC Championship game anyway.

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
SF, Rams, Seahawks or Cards. Rank KM against these three QB’s. They win in part because of their supporting cast. MHJ and trade if you have to to draft Fashano/Alt.

Last edited:

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SF, Rams, Seahawks or Cards. Rank KM against these three QB’s. They win in part because of their supporting cast. MHJ and trade if you have to to draft Fashano/Alt.
This. If we are going to go for it, this is what I hope Monti does.
There would still be plenty of draft picks and free agents to fill the holes.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Starting to think we won't draft an OT in round 1 this year.

DJ's contract hit would be too large and if we are sticking with Kyler- we need to add "starters" not replace them.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Starting to think we won't draft an OT in round 1 this year.

DJ's contract hit would be too large and if we are sticking with Kyler- we need to add "starters" not replace them.
I think you could play a top rookie OT pick at LG for a year and be in really good shape before moving them outside.

Humphries contract is also imminently tradable if you decide to move on.

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I’ll bet Joe Burrows wrist wished they had a better oline. The Bengals are 5-5 and without their franchise QB for the rest of the season.

Either way we should be able to get a good player at both the WR position and Oline in the first round. I would be a lot happier if they spent big dollars in free agency on the trenches though.

Last edited:

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I’ll bet Joe Burrows wrist wished they had a better oline. The Bengals are 5-5 and without their franchise QB for the rest of the season.

Either way we should be able to get a good player at both the WR position and Oline in the first round. I would be a lot happier if they spent big dollars in free agency on the trenches though.
Maybe not what you're implying, but Burrow was happy to use his wrist while signing his mega deal. JaMar Chase played a big role in getting it.

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Maybe not what you're implying, but Burrow was happy to use his wrist while signing his mega deal. JaMar Chase played a big role in getting it.
That’s fair, and when Chase signs his mega deal they better start hitting on lineman in the draft or they’ll have $100 million in two players and continue to be at the bottom of their division.

That being said I would much rather be in the Bengals situation than our own. Lol

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake