2024 Draft Countdown/NFL Prospects thread

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Wilson Is our wr2 at the start of the next season i would be extremely disappointed
I cant even Imagine a third rounder being wr1
Being disappointed that our high 3rd round pick could be depended on to be our 2nd WR going into his second year is an early indictment of the GM.

Fitz4Ever

Veteran
Reaction score
If Wilson Is our wr2 at the start of the next season i would be extremely disappointed
Well I think you better get used to the idea, unless you want to count Moore or Dortch as the WR2.

Best case is we get MHJ to be the immediate WR#1. Worst case scenario is we overspend for Hollywood and keep pretending hes a WR1.

My point was that if we were somehow able to get Bowers with our 2nd pick, it could create a unique and pretty dynamic offense. Running a 2 TE set as our base with McBride and Bowers and a dedication to the run game and Kyler using play action from under center....I would be fine with Wilson were the #2 WR...because he would be the 4th option in the passing game.

I know people will rip the idea because we legitimately do have other more pressing needs, but imagine getting MHJ at #3 and Bowers with the Texans pick. If either of those 2 guys live up to 3/4 of their expectations we are talking about an offense that is REALLY hard to defend. You cant expect to put LB's on McBride and Bowers...so you have to have safeties in the box. That creates 1 on 1 matchups with our 2 outside WR's and that puts them in positions to win.

Add in the advantage in the run game that a 2 TE set provides, and the play action game Kyler could run, and we would be able to run the ball, kill teams over the middle with our 2 TE's, and set ourselves up for big chunk plays for our WR's running deep routes with 1 on 1 mathups.

If the draft fell that way, and we got MHJ and Bowers in the 1st, then I think you use 2 of the next 3 picks upgrading the O-Line, and then try to snag a CB that can at least get on the field. Maybe a Kris Draines or a Josh Newton.

MHJ
Bowers
Kaylen King (CB)
Tyler Guyton (RT)
Christian Haynes (OG)

Would be an incredible first 2 days of the draft

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Thats awesome, insightful analysis. Im not saying that how it will go, or even it should...but the point is that if Bowers is there at #18 or wherever our 2nd pick is, we could do a lot worse.
It's pretty hard to use two TEs effectively. I can only really think of the Patriots as a team that used two TEs effectively and even then the utility isn't worth a fairly valuable draft asset.

I'd argue that even throwing a second round pick at TE right now would be a massive waste. I'd gamble on a guy like Lachey from Iowa in round four. I know @kerouac9 would agree with what I am saying.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
It's pretty hard to use two TEs effectively. I can only really think of the Patriots as a team that used two TEs effectively and even then the utility isn't worth a fairly valuable draft asset.

I'd argue that even throwing a second round pick at TE right now would be a massive waste. I'd gamble on a guy like Lachey from Iowa in round four. I know @kerouac9 would agree with what I am saying.
I would take Lachey in round 3. Only need about 45% - 55% of snaps to justify it.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
My biggest disappointment for the 2024 will be if the Cardinals don't add at least one DL/Edge early. I wanted Keanu Benton last year and he's been a pretty solid player right away.
This is an unserious organization if they take offensive players with five of their first six picks. The Atlanta Falcons scored 23 points in our house. The LA Rams scored 37 in our house.

Rookie Undrafted free agent Startling Thomas played 100% of the snaps at cornerback -- more than draft picks Garrett Williams, Kei'Trel Clark, and Marco Wilson. Clark and Wilson played zero snaps on the defense. Cam Thomas played four defensive snaps.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
This is an unserious organization if they take offensive players with five of their first six picks. The Atlanta Falcons scored 23 points in our house. The LA Rams scored 37 in our house.

Rookie Undrafted free agent Startling Thomas played 100% of the snaps at cornerback -- more than draft picks Garrett Williams, Kei'Trel Clark, and Marco Wilson. Clark and Wilson played zero snaps on the defense. Cam Thomas played four defensive snaps.
I want to see Max two of the day two and day three picks being used on offense. Free agency I really only want a cheap LG and a WR.

Christian Wilkins or Madubuike should be shown Brinks trucks to come here. I'd also throw a Kirk-like contract at Calvin Ridley, not because he's the best WR out there, but because I think the other guys would take obscene money to leave their situations to come here and I doubt Jacksonville would pay another WR that money.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I want to see Max two of the day two and day three picks being used on offense. Free agency I really only want a cheap LG and a WR.

Christian Wilkins or Madubuike should be shown Brinks trucks to come here. I'd also throw a Kirk-like contract at Calvin Ridley, not because he's the best WR out there, but because I think the other guys would take obscene money to leave their situations to come here and I doubt Jacksonville would pay another WR that money.
I just don't think this team is going anywhere without a franchise-defining player on the defensive side of the ball. I'm sure that Monti hoped a top-shelf defensive prospect would arise, but it doesn't look like that guy is going to bubble up (at least right now).

It sure seems like Calvin Ridley has struggled as a pure-perimeter wideout with Jacksonville.

Fitz4Ever

Veteran
Reaction score
I just don't think this team is going anywhere without a franchise-defining player on the defensive side of the ball. I'm sure that Monti hoped a top-shelf defensive prospect would arise, but it doesn't look like that guy is going to bubble up (at least right now).

It sure seems like Calvin Ridley has struggled as a pure-perimeter wideout with Jacksonville.
I agree...my entire point was that if Bowers made it to our 2nd pick, he would be considered BPA at that point, and possibly too much value to pass up on, but we might also be able to work a trade down at that point.

IMO the best defensive player in the draft is Verse. I wouldnt take him at 3, because I dont see many, if any, "franchise defining" defensive players in this draft at all. Of course there will end up being some really good players, but none are good enough for the #3 pick. Verse is the best pass rusher in the class, and brings a great motor and good/great on field production. He isn't a "project", he would start day 1.

Speaking of, I don't really see a huge difference between the top 6 CBs. Kool-Aid is probably considered the best, but I think he will go between 3 and our next pick. I wouldnt be opposed to trading down and grabbing 2 CB's in that top 6-7 group. The one Im most torn on is Dejean, he seems like a safety to me, but he is a good player. If I had my ideal situation I would get King and maybe Lassiter in the 2nd round rather than taking a CB with the Texans pick.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Putting on my scarlet and gray glasses, the Cardinals could just do a heavy OSU draft and be sitting pretty.
Round 1-MHjr.
Round 2-Denzel Burke
Round 3- Tyliek Williams

I think those 3 could easily end up being the best players at their position. Btw, stay away from JTT.
Supplement those guys with the other picks and they'll have had a great draft.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Man fans are so fickle. 10 weeks ago after the first Niners game he was a legit WR1 prospect. Kyler plays like ass and now he's not even a WR2.

This is going to be like Trey McBride last year all over again. Wilson is going to be a very good starting WR.

Here's the very first play of Sundays game and Kyler throwing high and wide to a wide open Wilson on a dig that would have been a 20+ yard gain.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Being disappointed that our high 3rd round pick could be depended on to be our 2nd WR going into his second year is an early indictment of the GM.

Wilson was drafted 9 picks short of the 4th round and 5 of them were comp picks.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Man fans are so fickle. 10 weeks ago after the first Niners game he was a legit WR1 prospect. Kyler plays like ass and now he's not ever WR2.
Yes, why should our conclusions change just based on 3x more data? Why can't we just stick with our initial impressions, especially when he's been out injured for an extended period of time?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Some of Wilson's issues are that he is a route running WR for a QB who struggles to throw to routes on time. It essentially negates Wilson's strengths. Also, little game speed work together due to both players having injuries.

If he can't throw to a guy that gets open on speed (Brown) and he can't throw to a guy that gets open with route running ability (Wilson), then who can he throw to?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
If he can't throw to a guy that gets open on speed (Brown) and he can't throw to a guy that gets open with route running ability (Wilson), then who can he throw to?

I don't think "speed" is the differentiator that people think it is in the NFL. The difference between a 4.35 guy and a 4.49 guy over 20-30 yards is minimum. Even with Tyreek heel, the suddenness in and out of breaks and precision in route-running is far, far more important.

I don't think our "speed" guys in Ronale Moore and Hollywood Brown show much of either factor.

OP
OP
football karma

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Man fans are so fickle. 10 weeks ago after the first Niners game he was a legit WR1 prospect. Kyler plays like ass and now he's not ever WR2.

This is going to be like Trey McBride last year all over again. Wilson is going to be a very good starting WR.

Here's the very first play of Sundays game and Kyler throwing high and wide to a wide open Wilson on a dig that would have been a 20+ yard gain.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
that play isnt the best example to make the point you are trying to make -- a scramble play that had Wilson running to the opposite side of the field that Murray moved to.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Luke Lachey would be a great late round pick up.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think "speed" is the differentiator that people think it is in the NFL. The difference between a 4.35 guy and a 4.49 guy over 20-30 yards is minimum. Even with Tyreek heel, the suddenness in and out of breaks and precision in route-running is far, far more important.

I don't think our "speed" guys in Ronale Moore and Hollywood Brown show much of either factor.

Ok, what WR in 5 years has Kyler done well with other than Hopkins who he could just throw it to and know he would adjust and make a great catch?

I said for years he made Kirk look like crap and nobody wanted to resign him and as soon as he gets to the Jags he looks like a legit NFL wide receiver.

My point being, Kyler so far has not really allowed any WR outside of a top 5 guy and likely Hall of Fame WR, to show anything.