2024 Draft Countdown/NFL Prospects thread

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
A scramble play? He just shuffled to his left away from the pressure. It's basic QB play.

He's a yard inside the hash. He's fully set. He's not under pressure. Wilson is 3 yards outside the hash when he releases the ball. How is this any different to him throwing to his left from his original position? He's basically throwing an out route but in the center of the field from an unpressured pocket.

The excuses Kyler gets here are wild. The top 15 QB's in the league make this throw 9 times out of 10. This is basic stuff.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
If Pedzig would commit to designing his gameplan around 2 TE sets, I would be all for it. Imagine the play action game we could have with Kyler under center, an upgraded interior Oline, and McBride and Bowers as our TE's. We could be a top 10 rushing team, and be DEADLY with big plays since safetys would have to play in the box to try and cover McBride and Bowers.

Hell, in this draft WR is so deep we could get a guy in the 3rd or later to play outside with Wilson. Maybe former Sundevil and current FSU athletic freak Johnny Wilson?
Just take a page out of the Patriots history when they had gronk and the killer.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
One thing I’ll say about Caleb Williams is that Lincoln Riley really did him no favors this season. Didn’t call any layup plays for him & basically had him freestyle all game. That’s real bad coaching.
I'm pretty sure that that it's the opposite. Riley was actually growing frustrated with Williams because he would freestyle and not play within the system. There was chatter on local radio out here late last year and even during the off season this year.. and that was one of the reasons that Kingsbury was brought in.. Riley thought he could hopefully be a bridge.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
One thing I’ll say about Caleb Williams is that Lincoln Riley really did him no favors this season. Didn’t call any layup plays for him & basically had him freestyle all game. That’s real bad coaching.
Agreed. Riley definitely not focused on growing his QBs.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that that it's the opposite. Riley was actually growing frustrated with Williams because he would freestyle and not play within the system. There was chatter on local radio out here late last year and even during the off season this year.. and that was one of the reasons that Kingsbury was brought in.. Riley thought he could hopefully be a bridge.
Meh. There is a growing theme of Riley's QBs not being fundamentally sound. Just not a focus for him.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What system? Going 4-5 wide a majority of the game despite lacking top tier WRs with a suspect OLine? Cause that’s exactly what people will be watching if they go back & look at Caleb’s tape this season.

It’s funny you bring up Kliff because I feel like Lincoln suspect playcalling was way more apparent this year with Kliff than last year without Kliff.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Nothing to do with talent--everything to do with availability. He had major injury problems coming into the draft and now has major injury questions in the NFL. It's not that he couldn't be a top WR and more that he can't be counted on.

Major injury questions? He banged up his shoulder playing a violent sport and missed 4 games.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Both excuses and blame are wild
Murray Will be evaluated next season hopefully with a better group of receivers
He Is not the same Murray right now, i follow both football and soccer, players coming from that injury need more time before being back at their best

That's fine, arguing that Murray is playing poorly is evident.

But people can't argue that Murray is playing poorly AND our receivers are bad, when there is evidence of them not being bad.

Maybe, just maybe, the guy throwing them the ball is the problem...

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Major injury questions? He banged up his shoulder playing a violent sport and missed 4 games.
He has missed multiple games each year of football since his Sophomore year of college/hasn’t played a full season since 2019 lol what in the hell are you talking about?

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Need to start looking up round 4/5ish RBs that would fit Petzing’s/Stefanski’s scheme.

If we’re able to draft MHJ, they’ll have to respect his presence + it’ll be easier to the run the ball than it is now. Could see us being a top 3 running team next season.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Need to start looking up round 4/5ish RBs that would fit Petzing’s/Stefanski’s scheme.

If we’re able to draft MHJ, they’ll have to respect his presence + it’ll be easier to the run the ball than it is now. Could see us being a top 3 running team next season.
It’s really hard for me to know if we’re actually good running the ball. It might get me to buy into the new DVOA site (which I’ve resisted because it’s blocked on my work computer).

YPA looks fine (3rd), but we’ve been sub-competitive in so many games it’s hard to see how distorted that might be.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
But people can't argue that Murray is playing poorly AND our receivers are bad, when there is evidence of them not being bad.

Maybe, just maybe, the guy throwing them the ball is the problem...

There is not evidence of them not being bad?
Murray didn't play well ok, but when I see the high angle camera I rarely see the wide receivers open

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is not evidence of them not being bad?
Murray didn't play well ok, but when I see the high angle camera I rarely see the wide receivers open
I sat in the upper deck at the Rams game. Yes, there were three or four times someone was open and didn't get the ball. But I saw a hell of a lot more of our WRs running with defenders like they were joined at the hip.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
What system? Going 4-5 wide a majority of the game despite lacking top tier WRs with a suspect OLine? Cause that’s exactly what people will be watching if they go back & look at Caleb’s tape this season.

It’s funny you bring up Kliff because I feel like Lincoln suspect playcalling was way more apparent this year with Kliff than last year without Kliff.
Kliff, the quarterback killer!!
It seems like it takes about 2 years for QB's(Mahomes/Baker) to recover from the Kingsbury effect so maybe there is hope for Kyler next year.

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Here are the top 11 fastest 40 times (just did a quick search). Outside of CJ I’m not sure any of these guys had above average careers.

Fitz4Ever

Veteran
Reaction score

There are several RBs in that range I would be thrilled to get.

Trey Benson - I think he will go earlier, but hes the best back in the draft IMO
Donovan Edwards, Bucky Irving - Best compliments to Conner
Braleon Allen & Audric Estime - Both later round guys that could become our RB1 in a year.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
There are several RBs in that range I would be thrilled to get.

Trey Benson - I think he will go earlier, but hes the best back in the draft IMO
Donovan Edwards, Bucky Irving - Best compliments to Conner
Braleon Allen & Audric Estime - Both later round guys that could become our RB1 in a year.
Yeah I like Estime in the 3rd...nearly identical runner to JC but a bit faster. Our running style wouldn't have to change a bit.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
When a guy is drafted with major injury concerns relied to durability and his rookie season is stunted by durability issues, yes, major injury questions. But you do you if you want to ignore it.