2024 Free Agency thread

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You can make this argument but you have to admit the reality that they do exist, whether you can name them or not. It’s surely not your contention that no worthwhile free agents are ever available, is it? Unless that’s what you’re arguing, the argument of “name them!” is kind of disingenuous because we aren’t professionals gms who should be expertly versed in who they are.
No, I think you missed my point entirely.

I want these players named so we can discuss & analyze as to whether they would be a good/bad, possible/impossible, fit/unfit acquisition for the team. I see K9 do it. I see Chop do it. I see Krang do it. I see Brit do it. I see you do it. I see a lot of people on here do it. A lot of us of here do it. It creates an interesting, modest, & enjoyable discussion. You don’t have to be a GM to do that. It’s not complexed at all.

Complaining just to complain is just so lame to me. Did you even know these guys exist before you seen their name pop up recently? Let’s talk about realistic solutions that could be fix a hole on this team.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
No, I think you missed my point entirely.

I want these players named so we can discuss & analyze as to whether they would be a good/bad, possible/impossible, fit/unfit acquisition for the team. I see K9 do it. I see Chop do it. I see Krang do it. I see Brit do it. I see you do it. I see a lot of people on here do it. A lot of us of here do it. It creates an interesting, modest, & enjoyable discussion. You don’t have to be a GM to do that. It’s not complexed at all.

Complaining just to complain is just so lame to me. Did you even know these guys exist before you seen their name pop up recently? Let’s talk about realistic solutions that could be fix a hole on this team.
I agree with @Stout general sentiment that the experts should know who to get, but I also agree it comes off as someone who complains without offering a solution.

I probably would've signed Hunter. I initially wanted a DT but was swayed by the argument that you can get by with adequate players if you have a great edge.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
How many years into their run did they make the trade? Most of the roster is homegrown.
In 2017
Both QBs were not home grown.
Top two WRs were not home grown.
FB is not home grown.
LG not home grown.
Most sacks was not home grown.

They won 6 games. Armstead, Buckner, Staley, and Ward were from previous regime.

49ers bring in a starting C, CB, OLB, and DE as FA. Sherman, Richberg, CAssius MArsh and Malcolm Smith.

Even when you jump to 2019, 8 of their starters on O and D were from other teams, and 5 more guys were from the previous regime.

I think the biggest thing you see is the difference in the roster when you scrape your roster to the bare bones like Monti did.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
But it’s not the shut-down-the-conversation point that it’s made out to be. There are absokutely 100% a spectrum of useful low/mid/high free agents available to help a cardinals team every single year. Just because stout doesn’t know all the personnel on all the other teams that aren’t his favorite team doesn’t mean an argument that our gm should be a more aggressive spender in free agency doesn’t exist. Most fans only know superstars on other teams. A fans knowledge doesn’t dictate whether there were useful free agents to be had. To argue such (and make no mistake, that’s what “name them!” is essentially arguing) is kinda stupid.
Explaining things to him is pointless, Ouchie. It's arguing just to get under your skin.

Stout

Reaction score
I agree with @Stout general sentiment that the experts should know who to get, but I also agree it comes off as someone who complains without offering a solution.

I probably would've signed Hunter. I initially wanted a DT but was swayed by the argument that you can get by with adequate players if you have a great edge.
LOL I don't need a solution to know when there's a problem. Ya know, like at edge.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
In 2017
Both QBs were not home grown.
Top two WRs were not home grown.
FB is not home grown.
LG not home grown.
Most sacks was not home grown.

They won 6 games. Armstead, Buckner, Staley, and Ward were from previous regime.
No big free agents. The free agents were mostly cheap type deals like Monti is doing.
49ers bring in a starting C, CB, OLB, and DE as FA. Sherman, Richberg, CAssius MArsh and Malcolm Smith.
Looks like a list of Monti free agents.
Even when you jump to 2019, 8 of their starters on O and D were from other teams, and 5 more guys were from the previous regime.

I think the biggest thing you see is the difference in the roster when you scrape your roster to the bare bones like Monti did.
I agree that as bad as the 9ers roster was when Shanny and Lynch got there, the Cardinals were much worse.

The glow of the 2021 was long gone and the roster looked pretty damn ugly because player development just didn't work out, but that was a Hallmark of most the Keim era.

I think this will be a very telling year for Monti. The team is now much younger than it was under probably all of the Keim era. There are some intriguing blend of young players, but at this point it's mostly intrigue.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He would rather have 7-8 quality players on the front 7 than 1 star and 6 jags.
That is such a false choice.

You realize good teams in the NFL have multiple stars on D or on offense without breaking their cap?

The bar is set so ridiculously low for this front office by a lot of posters.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Want to try to re-type that?

Ouchie can get through to the one poster who I have on ignore? I'm glad someone can :)
All this time of you wasting characters & you using Ouchie as your shield, you could have looked up who is on the FA list or who is on the trading block. Hilarious.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Ouchie can do, as with everyone else here, can do what you can’t do for whatever reason.

Some people show up to your office to point out problems.

Some people visit your office, outline problems, and offer possible solutions.

We know which best describes Stout.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I would fall in line with a lot of these complaints if Monti was here for 3 seasons already instead of just 1 so far.
1 season? He's had 2 drafts and 2 full offseasons of moves. Unless you're counting in season moves, we've seen essentially 2 years of his work at this point.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
1 season? He's had 2 drafts and 2 full offseasons of moves. Unless you're counting in season moves, we've seen essentially 2 years of his work at this point.
It's a mixed bag so far. He clearly wants to build through the draft....that's great but some of these guys need to start becoming stars. It's definitely iffy right now.

Stout

Reaction score
I would fall in line with a lot of these complaints if Monti was here for 3 seasons already instead of just 1 so far.
What part of "No one needs to make lists on demand to satisfy other posters" don't you get? Instead of wasting your time with this juvenile "your opinion isn't valid unless you provide lists on demand" nonsense, you could have just engaged the subject. You're the one who actually asked for my opinion, if you'll recall.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is such a false choice.

You realize good teams in the NFL have multiple stars on D or on offense without breaking their cap?

The bar is set so ridiculously low for this front office by a lot of posters.
This is what I believe MO is building toward. Stars will develop and stars will be brought in, apparently not as fast as you would like.

Last edited:

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
these guys need to start becoming stars.
We have agreed on most things so far, but this is where you lose me.

Maybe this is just me, but this comes off like we have a large enough sample size to make these conclusions like Monti has been here for 3 complete seasons.

It’s only been ONE complete season.

How statements like this are being made is really asinine to me.

Last edited:

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
We have agreed on most things so far, but this is where you lose me.

Maybe this is just me, but this comes off like we have a large enough sample size to make these conclusions like Monti has been here for 3 complete seasons.

It’s only been ONE complete season.

How statements like this are being made is really asinine to me.
I'm mostly optimistic.

I just think by the end of the season we can start making an opinion.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is what I believe MO is building toward. Stars will develop and stars will be brought in, apparently not as fast as you would like.
I didn’t see one player we drafted last year look like they had star potential. Some guys flashed an ability to be solid, but that was it.

(Edit: Actually… I think PJJ could be an above average T. Forgot about him).

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
But it’s not the shut-down-the-conversation point that it’s made out to be. There are absokutely 100% a spectrum of useful low/mid/high free agents available to help a cardinals team every single year. Just because stout doesn’t know all the personnel on all the other teams that aren’t his favorite team doesn’t mean an argument that our gm should be a more aggressive spender in free agency doesn’t exist. Most fans only know superstars on other teams. A fans knowledge doesn’t dictate whether there were useful free agents to be had. To argue such (and make no mistake, that’s what “name them!” is essentially arguing) is kinda stupid.
BS.
Asking someone to put a name to it is simply asking what they see/saw as a solution rather than just emo dumping negativity on the board.
"Come with solutions" has always been the right thing to do. It actually adds to the conversation and elicits buy in to agreeing on a solution.

GeorgiaCard88

Veteran
Reaction score
Preview to 2025 free agency edge rushers:

1) Josh Sweat, Philadelphia Eagles
2) Haason Reddick, New York Jets
3) Khalil Mack, Los Angeles Chargers
4) Malcolm Koonce, Las Vegas Raiders
5) DeMarcus Lawrence, Dallas Cowboys
6) Matt Judon, New England Patriots
7) Baron Browning, Denver Broncos
8) Chase Young, New Orleans Saints
9) Jonathon Cooper, Denver Broncos
10) Michael Hoecht, Los Angeles Rams

Literally any of these guys could bring our edge rush to a minimum of mediocrity

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sparky