Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
·
53m
Former Dolphins and Cowboys center Connor Williams reached agreement on a one-year deal worth up to $6 million, including $3M guaranteed, with the Seattle Seahawks. The deal was negotiated and confirmed by Drew Rosenhaus and Ryan Matha.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Lions traded for their QB. Niners have made big FA additions. Bengals have a top QB. We don't.
Eh the lions traded a better qb for goff. That wasn’t an upgrade.

Who have niners signed? I can’t really think of any big ones. They traded for Trent williams, but that’s awhile ago now - was it even the current gm?

And you can’t really extend the Brady/mahomes argument to every good QB imo. That’s a good solid bengals team as evidenced by their performer with browning last year.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
No, you don’t. You never do because you never name these players you’re talking about. It would be actually be understandable if you did to see if it was actually reasonable or not.

I always have the same thoughts when it is time to name these actual players you’re talking about.
You can make this argument but you have to admit the reality that they do exist, whether you can name them or not. It’s surely not your contention that no worthwhile free agents are ever available, is it? Unless that’s what you’re arguing, the argument of “name them!” is kind of disingenuous because we aren’t professionals gms who should be expertly versed in who they are.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
There were about seven QB's drafted in the first or second round, this year. By their second season, who do you think will be considered VG QB's? Not having any scouting expertise, but I think that this will be considered a vg/great QB class.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
But the other good teams have pretty much done the same thing who don't have Brady or Mahomes. The Niners started their rebuild by mostly building through the draft and not making major FA signings or trades. Yes they traded for Jimmy, but that didn't work out that well for them in the long run because he just wasn't good enough.
They literally traded for the best left tackle in the history of the nfl.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
You can make this argument but you have to admit the reality that they do exist, whether you can name them or not. It’s surely not your contention that no worthwhile free agents are ever available, is it? Unless that’s what you’re arguing, the argument of “name them!” is kind of disingenuous because we aren’t professionals gms who should be expertly versed in who they are.

It's hardly a disingenuous retort to ask a poster who wants the team to spend in Free Agency to suggest who he wants and how much he's willing to pay for their services.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Who have niners signed? I can’t really think of any big ones. They traded for Trent williams, but that’s awhile ago now - was it even the current gm?

And you can’t really extend the Brady/mahomes argument to every good QB imo. That’s a good solid bengals team as evidenced by their performer with browning last year.
For the Lions David Montgomery, Josh Reynolds, and Graham Glasgow were all FA signings.

For the 49ers, McCaffery, Juszczyk, and Jake Brendel were all brough in from elsewhere along with Williams. People in particular thought the fullback signing was insane at the time. On defense Clelin Ferrell, Javon Hargrave, Charvarious Ward, and Tashaun Gipson were all imports.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
No team runs out 25 free agents. Four of the 2023 Lions’ 13 offensive starters (counting two backs and 3 WR) were acquired from another team. Another six were on their rookie contracts.
I had forgotten that they took a solid rb from the bears. That’s a good acquisition.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

coming off their 4-12 2018 season, the Niners went out and made a splash in the off-season, signing Kwon Alexander to a 4 year, 54 million dollar deal making him THE RICHEST ILB EVER at the time. Signed him RIGHT when the tampering window ended.

That same year, they also traded for Dee Ford and signed him to a five year $87.5 million dollar contract.

Again, these were the moves before they were good in the 2018 off-season, along with making moves in 2017 like trading for Jimmy G (and handing him a massive contract), Pierre Garcon to a 5 year 47 million dollar deal that happened BEFORE the Niners were actually good. They've consistently made big splashes in FA and trades along with drafting well. That doesn't necessarily mean those big splashes paid off... but they weren't afraid to try and add talent in FA, trades AND the draft, never really operating in any manner like we have the last two off-seasons.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

Hargraves, for one.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Exactamundo.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I feel like the lowest correlation between draft position and quality among the top roles is edge.

TJ Watt was drafted 30th overall
Josh Hines-Allen 7th overall
Trey Hendrickson 103rd overall
Khalil Mack 5th overall
Danielle Hunter 88th overall
Maxx Crosby 106th overall
Micah Parsons 12th overall
Myles Garrett 1st overall

That’s 2 top five picks in the top 8 sack getters in 2023. I think we’re more likely than not going to pick between 8 and 14.
But 4 in top 12. Thats statistically significant.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It's hardly a disingenuous retort to ask a poster who wants the team to spend in Free Agency to suggest who he wants and how much he's willing to pay for their services.
But it’s not the shut-down-the-conversation point that it’s made out to be. There are absokutely 100% a spectrum of useful low/mid/high free agents available to help a cardinals team every single year. Just because stout doesn’t know all the personnel on all the other teams that aren’t his favorite team doesn’t mean an argument that our gm should be a more aggressive spender in free agency doesn’t exist. Most fans only know superstars on other teams. A fans knowledge doesn’t dictate whether there were useful free agents to be had. To argue such (and make no mistake, that’s what “name them!” is essentially arguing) is kinda stupid.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
For the Lions David Montgomery, Josh Reynolds, and Graham Glasgow were all FA signings.

For the 49ers, McCaffery, Juszczyk, and Jake Brendel were all brough in from elsewhere along with Williams. People in particular thought the fullback signing was insane at the time. On defense Clelin Ferrell, Javon Hargrave, Charvarious Ward, and Tashaun Gipson were all imports.
I can’t believe I didn’t think of mccaffrey.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
He would rather have 7-8 quality players on the front 7 than 1 star and 6 jags.
That’s not what he said. Go back and read it again. He wants three “7’s” instead of one 10. I asked him who were these 7’s? Cuz we don’t have one in the front 7 at present. Not a single “7” much less three of them.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
But 4 in top 12. Thats statistically significant.

That's where I expect the Cards to be drafting this year. The 2023 Minnesota Vikings went 7-10 and drafted 10th overall last year. The 2023 Denver Broncos went 8-9 and drafted 12th.

He would rather have 7-8 quality players on the front 7 than 1 star and 6 jags.

I don't think these are the only options. If you only have seven quality players in your front seven, you're one injury away from having a pretty weak link out there. There aren't (m)any good defenses out there without a star in the front seven, though.

How many years into their run did they make the trade? Most of the roster is homegrown.

Most of every roster is homegrown. It's a strawman to say "you want to make this roster out of FAs and trades." No one is saying that. You're going to have ~40-60% of your starters as guys on their first contract with you. Your ceiling as a team is usually how many of the rest are players you've developed and kept around through regime change and free agents you've brought in.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Most of every roster is homegrown. It's a strawman to say "you want to make this roster out of FAs and trades." No one is saying that. You're going to have ~40-60% of your starters as guys on their first contract with you. Your ceiling as a team is usually how many of the rest are players you've developed and kept around through regime change and free agents you've brought in.
How is it a strawman? I'm not painting other arguments in an untrue manner, which is what the definition of a strawman is.

The argument is that it is more prudent early in a rebuild not to blow money on risky free agents. Dropping $28 million on a guy who produces one more pressure than Dennis Gardeck is stupid.

Burns's stock dropped so much that he went from the Panthers turning down, reportedly, three 1st picks, to the Panthers accepting Rosen-like compensation. Giants are gambling that he won't be a quitter when he's playing with a better supporting cast. Does that sound like a good fit for the Cardinals roster?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sparky