2024 Free Agency thread

BulldogCard

Veteran
Reaction score
The Lions built a good oline and even tho it's aging; they stay on top of it. Harbaugh didn't blink and took Alt. Oline is pretty darn important to getting into the playoffs. Det ar SF NFCC; probably the best 2 olines in NFC.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
The Lions built a good oline and even tho it's aging; they stay on top of it. Harbaugh didn't blink and took Alt. Oline is pretty darn important to getting into the playoffs. Det ar SF NFCC; probably the best 2 olines in NFC.
The Lions OL includes one free agent, one draft pick from the current regime, and three holdovers from the previous regime.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
So you're saying to largely build through the draft but still make a few choice big moves? Thanks for agreeing with my opinion on what Monti should do.
The timing is what matters. If you look at those teams, early on in their rebuilds, they WEREN'T making a whole of major FA moves.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As much as I know we shouldn't right now... I would still be stoked if we sent Dallas 2 firsts and a third for Parsons then immediately signed him for 5 yrs 160m
And then he gets hurt and you’ve got nothing but less flexibility with the salary cap.
I think MO would rather have three 7’s than one 10.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
As much as I know we shouldn't right now... I would still be stoked if we sent Dallas 2 firsts and a third for Parsons then immediately signed him for 5 yrs 160m
It will probably take more than that to get Parsons. He's a pretty special player.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Why shouldn't we? Top pass rushers don't grow on trees, and we ain't getting one unless we suck again. Or unless we get suuuuper lucky. Monti's big swing at a pass rusher leaves zero confidence in his ability to find a gem there later. This deal would give you a proven pass rusher long-term. So, why not?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Why shouldn't we? Top pass rushers don't grow on trees, and we ain't getting one unless we suck again. Or unless we get suuuuper lucky. Monti's big swing at a pass rusher leaves zero confidence in his ability to find a gem there later. This deal would give you a proven pass rusher long-term. So, why not?
If the Cardinals have like an 8-9 season, I'd gamble on Parsons.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Top pass rushers don't grow on trees, and we ain't getting one unless we suck again.
I feel like the lowest correlation between draft position and quality among the top roles is edge.

TJ Watt was drafted 30th overall
Josh Hines-Allen 7th overall
Trey Hendrickson 103rd overall
Khalil Mack 5th overall
Danielle Hunter 88th overall
Maxx Crosby 106th overall
Micah Parsons 12th overall
Myles Garrett 1st overall

That’s 2 top five picks in the top 8 sack getters in 2023. I think we’re more likely than not going to pick between 8 and 14.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I feel like the lowest correlation between draft position and quality among the top roles is edge.

TJ Watt was drafted 30th overall
Josh Hines-Allen 7th overall
Trey Hendrickson 103rd overall
Khalil Mack 5th overall
Danielle Hunter 88th overall
Maxx Crosby 106th overall
Micah Parsons 12th overall
Myles Garrett 1st overall

That’s 2 top five picks in the top 8 sack getters in 2023. I think we’re more likely than not going to pick between 8 and 14.
I don't disagree. I just wonder if a freaking Cards GM will ever draft the TJ Watt or just keep drafting the BJ Ojularis of the world. Monti's small sample size at drafting high-end edge players is a big oh-fer.

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
4 players in the top 20 of pressures changed teams this off-season. Cardinals got none of them while sitting on a ton of cap space. The hops is that Maxx Crosby, Montez Sweat, Parsons, or Thibodeaux are on teams that are so bad, they decide to move bodies for picks.
I mentioned it in another post, but I doubt that Bidwill will pay enough cash to convince proven studs to come to Arizona. No, the players don't decide where their current team trades them to, but they do have the power to reject contract offers from the new team, and it happens fairly often in bigtime trades that the player and new team have the extension ready before executing the trade. Three of the four players you mention will want new contracts after next season. Many teams will not give away draft picks for shortterm rentals, and thus, suddenly the player do have some power over where he goes.

My hope is that Ossenfort already now calls the Giants and ask if Thibodeaux is available. Most likely he is not, but certainly they just paid Burns big money, and Thibodeaux has not been great in his two first seasons. Last year he got 11.5 sacks, but only two of them came from beating a starting o-lineman one-on-one. The others were against backups or clean-ups. And by all accounts he took a step back from his rookie season as a pass rusher. After this season, the Giants probably get rid of Daniel Jones somehow, which will leave them with between 22-47 million in dead money, and a lot of wasted cash. Again, Thibodeaux is on a cheap rookie contract, so it would be silly for the Giants to let him go, but no risk it - no biscuit, as BA would say. Who knows, maybe a couple of draft picks (including something like a 2nd), and saving a lot of cash would convince them. From the Cardinals perspective, certainly Bidwill would like to take on a rookie contract for a year or two.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't disagree. I just wonder if a freaking Cards GM will ever draft the TJ Watt or just keep drafting the BJ Ojularis of the world. Monti's small sample size at drafting high-end edge players is a big oh-fer.
That’s a little unfair after just 2 drafts and your example is his first draft.
Remember 29 other gm’s passed on TJ Watt and 36 passed on Chris Jones.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mentioned it in another post, but I doubt that Bidwill will pay enough cash to convince proven studs to come to Arizona. No, the players don't decide where their current team trades them to, but they do have the power to reject contract offers from the new team, and it happens fairly often in bigtime trades that the player and new team have the extension ready before executing the trade. Three of the four players you mention will want new contracts after next season. Many teams will not give away draft picks for shortterm rentals, and thus, suddenly the player do have some power over where he goes.

My hope is that Ossenfort already now calls the Giants and ask if Thibodeaux is available. Most likely he is not, but certainly they just paid Burns big money, and Thibodeaux has not been great in his two first seasons. Last year he got 11.5 sacks, but only two of them came from beating a starting o-lineman one-on-one. The others were against backups or clean-ups. And by all accounts he took a step back from his rookie season as a pass rusher. After this season, the Giants probably get rid of Daniel Jones somehow, which will leave them with between 22-47 million in dead money, and a lot of wasted cash. Again, Thibodeaux is on a cheap rookie contract, so it would be silly for the Giants to let him go, but no risk it - no biscuit, as BA would say. Who knows, maybe a couple of draft picks (including something like a 2nd), and saving a lot of cash would convince them. From the Cardinals perspective, certainly Bidwill would like to take on a rookie contract for a year or two.
Thibedeaux was the 5th player in the draft in 2022, had an okay rookie year, then broke out huge in year 2 with 11.5 sacks, 12 TFL and 50 tackles, is still on a cheap rookie deal for a couple years but… maybe the Giants would give up that young stud, cheap player… for maybe a 2nd and change?

That makes very little sense to me.

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Thibedeaux was the 5th player in the draft in 2022, had an okay rookie year, then broke out huge in year 2 with 11.5 sacks, 12 TFL and 50 tackles, is still on a cheap rookie deal for a couple years but… maybe the Giants would give up that young stud, cheap player… for maybe a 2nd and change?

That makes very little sense to me.
Well, Cheese, I did write that it is highly unlikely, but the thing is that even though his numbers were fine last season, he really didn't play that well. He is not considered an emerging star, which was probably also why they invested so much in Brian Burns.

Anyway, we are fortunate enough that the Cards signed Marquis Haynes, so everything is good.