2024 Texans pick watch thread

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
At this point I agree with those who are discussing trading up from 27 in round 1. It is definitely more of an option now. Shouldn't just wait and see what falls.
If we stay put at 4 i wouldn't trade up from 27 to 10/15 range
Instead if we add multiple picks trading down from 4 i would invest some of those picks to trade up from 27

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Instead if we add multiple picks trading down from 4 i would invest some of those picks to trade up from 27
For the right player I would Trade up. The middle 3rd should bring us up in the 17-19 range. The low 3rd rounder in the 20-22 range.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I personally feel like there is going to be a tier of players that ends somewhere around 20, and I would prefer to move into that group vs take the best of the next. And if I am less interested in taking an interior OL player in round 1 or any other non-premium position player, it limits me to OT, WR, EDGE, DT. (I don't love this CB class in round 1 at this point)

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I personally feel like there is going to be a tier of players that ends somewhere around 20, and I would prefer to move into that group vs take the best of the next. And if I am less interested in taking an interior OL player in round 1 or any other non-premium position player, it limits me to OT, WR, EDGE, DT. (I don't love this CB class in round 1 at this point)
I like Cooper DeJuan or Koolaid at our Texans pick.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
FWIW, I think in the mid-20s you're better off taking the best player and not worrying about positional value.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I like Cooper DeJuan or Koolaid at our Texans pick.
would not count on it. Gannons system just doesnt require elite corner play...I mean, we all know having an elite lock down guy is awesome... but JG regularly rushes four and drops seven...in that style of defense you just dont invest heavily in corners. My guess is, we drafted our starters last year...and will add a couple more later round guys this year to the backfield.... I would expect to see heavier investment in DT and DE,,,at least one guy in the middle that commands a double team...and a couple guys who can get pressure up the middle

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
would not count on it. Gannons system just doesnt require elite corner play...I mean, we all know having an elite lock down guy is awesome... but JG regularly rushes four and drops seven...in that style of defense you just dont invest heavily in corners. My guess is, we drafted our starters last year...and will add a couple more later round guys this year to the backfield.... I would expect to see heavier investment in DT and DE,,,at least one guy in the middle that commands a double team...and a couple guys who can get pressure up the middle
I don't count on it. In fact, I don't think either player will be there.

If I were Monti though and both were on the board with the Texans pick, they would be on my board being considered. (leaning towards Cooper)

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
My guess is, we drafted our starters last year
Who do you think these guys are?

Kei'Trel Clark, who got benched, earned his way back into the rotation, and then was promptly benched again?

Garrett Williams, who played nine games, one of which he played more than 79% of the defensive snaps, and began and ended his rookie season inactive for injury?

Starling Thomas?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I think the post round one CBs even less. Maybe Josh Newton round three, but I think if you look at how weak CB is overall, he should be gone by then.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Conference Championship game participant corners (Draft position)
BAL - Ronald Darby (2nd)
BAL - Marlon Humphrey (1st - 16th overall)*
BAL - Arthur Maulet (UDFA)
BAL - Rock Ya-Sin (2nd)
DET - Cameron Sutton (3rd)
DET - Jerry Jacobs (UDFA)
DET - Ifeatu Melifonwu (3rd)
SFO - Deommodore Lenoir (5th)
SFO - Charvarious Ward (UDFA)
SFO - Isaiah Oliver (2nd)
SFO - Ambry Thomas (3rd)
KAN - Trent McDuffee (1st - 21st overall)
KAN - L'Jarius Sneed (4th)
KAN - Jaylen Watson (7th)
KAN - Joshua Williams (4th)

Maybe a highly-drafted cornerback is neither necessary nor sufficient for success?

The Ravens have zero corners who played the majority of their teams' defensive snaps this year.

My youngest son just turned 12, but maybe it's not too late to re-name him Deommodore?

* IR

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

Kei'Trel Clark, who got benched, earned his way back into the rotation, and then was promptly benched again?

Garrett Williams, who played nine games, one of which he played more than 79% of the defensive snaps, and began and ended his rookie season inactive for injury?

Starling Thomas?
Yup

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
I don't think so. According to the trade chart, he still came out ahead. We all got overly excited about the pick being top 10 and that is skewing it.
I should have been more clear. I mean he rolled snake eyes in that it's not a top 10 pick like most thought. I with you and Monti I make that trade 9 out of 10 times.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

Starling Thomas?
I think we will also grab another late rounder or two to compete

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Uhhhhhh Gannon had Darius Slay who was an elite CB for years until injuries and age caught up with this season. Bradberry also was very good for a bit until this season.

Not saying we need Revis on one side and Jalen Ramsey on the other, but we can't just hinge on Late Day 2/Day 3 picks.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
FWIW, I think in the mid-20s you're better off taking the best player and not worrying about positional value.
I think I worded my post poorly. If you have needs at OT, WR, DT and EDGE, and the draft gives you a first round with 5, 5, 2, 3 of quality players at those positions, I would prefer to move up and grab one than remain at 27 and draft a CB or IOL or something else.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
For the most part, the NFL right now does not require elite corner play, at least not in the regular season. So many teams runs a ton of shell coverage or two-high coverage right now. Fewer QBs in the league who can dissect zone schemes.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
For the most part, the NFL right now does not require elite corner play, at least not in the regular season. So many teams runs a ton of shell coverage or two-high coverage right now. Fewer QBs in the league who can dissect zone schemes.
Right , and with that truth it makes more sense to draft a couple athletic developmental corners every year until you have a good crew and spend your premium draft picks on higher priority positions....then bring in a vet in the summer if it looks like you need help

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Right , and with that truth it makes more sense to draft a couple athletic developmental corners every year until you have a good crew and spend your premium draft picks on higher priority positions....then bring in a vet in the summer if it looks like you need help
I think we'll look to bring the floor of the corner group up with a midlevel free agent like Kenny Moore, Stephon Gilmore, or Chidobe Awuzie, see if we can bring back Antonio Hamilton, use one of our thirds on a prospect, and go from there.

We need more professional players on the defense.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cooper seems very stiff for a S, and not a Kool Aid fan for round 1. There are always 32 players drafted in the first round but not always 32 players with first round grades.
Agree to disagree. I think both are first round talents.