30 Million In Cap Space...put up or shut up time!

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Well, we have the cap space. There are playmakers at positions where we have needs. Put up or shut up time for the Cards. We have the stadium. We have the cap space. We have the needs. Show me the effort.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Stout said:
Well, we have the cap space. There are playmakers at positions where we have needs. Put up or shut up time for the Cards. We have the stadium. We have the cap space. We have the needs. Show me the effort.

I hear you loud and clear Stout. There will be excuse makers if we leave $15 mil on the table. Count on it. You can bet other teams will make very good use of this money and a lot faster than us.

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stout said:

Ok, I'll see what I can do.

CardsFan222

Rookie
Reaction score
I think we might have a hard time spending all of it.

Im only for spending $ if its worth spending .I would like them 2 spend 16 to 20 on free agents and spend the rest on extending guys like Dockett and Dansby

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
CardsFan222 said:

Im only for spending $ if its worth spending .I would like them 2 spend 16 to 20 on free agents and spend the rest on extending guys like Dockett and Dansby

We don't have to have a hard time spending it. If we have SOOO much cap space, and SOOO many people are paranoid about getting a proven superstar like James because he represents a long-term risk, why not take a huge hit this year and sign James to a deal that's low, low risk in the 2nd year on? Make him have a 10 million cap hit this year, and at or near the minimum from here on out? He'll get his money guaranteed, and we still have over 10 million to bring in a few quality starters. What's wrong with that?

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Stout said:
We don't have to have a hard time spending it. If we have SOOO much cap space, and SOOO many people are paranoid about getting a proven superstar like James because he represents a long-term risk, why not take a huge hit this year and sign James to a deal that's low, low risk in the 2nd year on? Make him have a 10 million cap hit this year, and at or near the minimum from here on out? He'll get his money guaranteed, and we still have over 10 million to bring in a few quality starters. What's wrong with that?

I like that approach; however..........:cards: are we looking still at the old Cardinals or :newcards: The new ones?

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like I said Stout.

I have no disagreement except that just spending money is not the same as progess. I do think we need to spend to make progress so we are in about the same place.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
nidan said:
Like I said Stout.

I have no disagreement except that just spending money is not the same as progess. I do think we need to spend to make progress so we are in about the same place.

All right, it's cool. I'm going to do my best not to freak out in the first few days of FA (thereby breaking the yearly tradition ;) ), but we need to do extremely well for this to be a successful offseason.

ThunderCard

Reaction score
Stout said:
All right, it's cool. I'm going to do my best not to freak out in the first few days of FA (thereby breaking the yearly tradition ;) ), but we need to do extremely well for this to be a successful offseason.

I always say the exact same thing to. Every year it is I will not freak out if we do not make a huge impact in the first few days. Then the first few days turn into weeks and before you know it the Cards are dumpster diving. I expect this year to be the same.... Wake up at 5-6 Am and check the free agent signings like a Kid at Christmas only to have nothing happen. Then when all the great players are off the board we start over paying scrubs. Then when the scrubs are signed I think up of magical ways our coaching staff will bring out the best in them. Then the season starts and I watch the scrubs play only to bury my head in the sand and doing one of these :bang:

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
There is something wrong with all of us. I wake up every couple of hours and watch the ESPN ticker, just to see if we signed anybody. Were sick...SICK I tell ya.

Doc Cardinal

Old Fart
Reaction score
WisconsinCard said:
There is something wrong with all of us. I wake up every couple of hours and watch the ESPN ticker, just to see if we signed anybody. Were sick...SICK I tell ya.

I hear ya.

Last year I even got excited over Oliver Ross.:confused:

Cards Czar

The Bird is the Word
Reaction score
WisconsinCard said:

I have had this Cardinal Flu for over 37 yrs. Just in the last couple of weeks have I been feeling better. Comon Cardinals I want to be full and healthy for just once.

Navy Mike

spanky1

Reaction score
Stout said:
Ugh, I know!!! Me too! Well, this year, if it's Milford Brown and Kyle Kosier, I'll not be fooled...I'll be raging mad!

Face it Stout.....you won't be happy unless we spend every last dime on FA's.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
spanky1 said:
Face it Stout.....you won't be happy unless we spend every last dime on FA's.

Um, no...and don't be an arrogant puppet-master wannabe and try to put words in my mouth, thanks. We can't spend the rookie pool, we need 1-2 million for injuries, so no, you're quite wrong. Hit the reset button.

I will be upset if we take 5-10 million into the year under the promise to extend more players. You can extend players without crippling yourself in FA.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well, we have the cap space.
So does every other team.

I'm not so sure I like the impact of this deal on the Cardinals.

It takes several other cap-stressed teams off the hook so that some guys who'd be on the open market for us will no longer be available.

It means that some teams who'd have been unavailable to compete for free agents due to cap problems can now vie with the Cardinals for certain players.

You can't sign draft picks below round one for more than four years - i.e. we're a young team. We get to develop our young players to get them ready to be raided by other teams after four years.

Within the context of the overall agreement, I view the extra cap money as "competitive-neutral" for the Cardinals, and harbor lingering suspicions that, once again, the Bidwills along with a few other teams have been asked to be the "Mikey's" of the NFL so that Dan Snyder doesn't have to pay for past cap sins.

That said, the NFL has a deal. Stability for the next 4 - 6 years has been assured. That's a good thing overall - but not necessarily for the competitive cap position of the Cardinals.

spanky1

Reaction score
Stout said:
Um, no...and don't be an arrogant puppet-master wannabe and try to put words in my mouth, thanks. We can't spend the rookie pool, we need 1-2 million for injuries, so no, you're quite wrong. Hit the reset button.

I will be upset if we take 5-10 million into the year under the promise to extend more players. You can extend players without crippling yourself in FA.

Whatever.......

Without taking $5-$10MM into next year, how do you propose to have enough cap space to resign those like Dansby, Dockett, Leonard Davis, Step and or Leckey (whoever steps it up this year) and any other potential UFA/RFA that we might have? The cap only increases $7MM for 2007 from 2006.

Using all of whatever is left after the rookie pool and allowance for an injury pool is foolhardy and reckless and absolutely poor business planning......and if this makes me an arrogant, puppet-master wannabe (whatever the heck this hybrid of name calling may mean?).....then so be it. Having an eye open for "a rainy day" must be a foreign thought to someone who lives in Vegas.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Stout said:

I am with you Stout but one has to wonder if the Bidwills have 30 million dollars in real money they are willing to spend? Remember we were the only team in thee NFL to lose money recently. Perhaps these people do not have the cash flow to finance 30 mil? If they do not have the cash they can only blame themselves. If they do then spend it and get this train on the tracks.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
CardsFan222 said:

As a fan I am for spending every last penny. Money unspent is not going to do us any good what so ever. If you want the Bidwills to have more money then you have a point.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
nidan said:
Like I said Stout.

We have been not spending money for years and where is the progress. It is time to take some risk and stop being conservative fuddy duddys.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
WisconsinCard said:

When is the last time we signed a big time FA that made a difference. The closest thing to this is an aging Kurt Warner. Until we have some good signings we are still the same old Cardinals. New stadiums do not win games. Players do.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05