30 Million In Cap Space...put up or shut up time!

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
This team is pissing me off right now...They've got to at least schedule some of the bigger names for a visit, who know's the players may like the city, the stadium, the coach, other players.

Make an attempt, that is all I am asking, getting mid-teir to low-teir guys from other teams will be just as easy to do, but the bigger talents will be off the board soon.

at least take a chance with a couple guys like:

Bently
Lewis
Hutchinson

and see what happens.

AAGGGHHHH!!!!:bang:

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is LeCharles Bentley's a FA yet ?

If not then calling his agent would be tampering

Rats

Somanyfreaks,SofewCircus'
Reaction score
I feel as if the defining thing for this FA period for the Cardinals is that they give the impression that they have fixed the Running game and that they really do fix the Run stopping game. What I mean is that eveyone knows DG is not going to change his game. HE is going to Pass, Pass, and Pass some more and run when it is required. Teams look at the Cards and say we can gameplan more for the pass because they can't adequetely Run the ball( especially inside the 10yd line). If we draft Lendale White...we have addressed this perception...If we sign Jamal Lewis...we have addressed this perception....IF we sign Bentley...we have addressed this perception. Signing the mid level journeyman does not address the perception that we can't or wont be able to run the football when needed. DG has shown that he likes complimentary backs...one for power inside the tackles and one for a homerun threat. Arrington could still be that homerun threat so we have to address a power back and a Center that can solidify the group, perhaps Mawae or Bentley. Defense is really where we cannot afford to whiff on a premium signing. Kemeotu has to be offered more $$$ here than any place else. IF he picks someplace else for less there isn't alot anyone can do or say about that. Then you go on to another widebody that will occupy space giving our super fast Freelance LBs to do what they do. Add Will Allen again, offering more than he can get anywhere else and we will have addressed the needs of our defense. Hayes should be like getting a FA LB in the middle and I would hope that we can still groom the young kid from Michigan as a Saftey. They have to offer what ever is necessary to fix there shortcomings. Now it is a Two way street...so who knows if guys will take the offers or go elsewhere for less....I guess we will wait and see.

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LoyaltyisaCurse said:
This team is pissing me off right now...They've got to at least schedule some of the bigger names for a visit, who know's the players may like the city, the stadium, the coach, other players.

Once again. Tampering !

Yuo also assume that players like Hutchinson want to come here or want to come at anything other than ridiculous prices.

Point is you don't know so what are they doing that is pissing you off. FA hasn't even started yet

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
nidan said:
Once again. Tampering !

Yuo also assume that players like Hutchinson want to come here or want to come at anything other than ridiculous prices.

Point is you don't know so what are they doing that is pissing you off. FA hasn't even started yet
Who is talking about tamperin NID?

I am saying that when the time comes for FA to begin, I want the Cards to get on the "effing" phone and make an attempt to get these guys, instead of already closing the book to go after the mid to low teir guys...

That is all I ask.

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You said they were pissing you of now.

FA hasn't started yet so they can't call anybody.

In fact I looked and all the guys mentioned here seem to be under contract today, so we can't call them or their agent.

I might have missed some transdactions but I looked through the ESPN FA transactin list for the last couple of weeks.

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LoyaltyisaCurse said:

From this. That is tampering

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
nidan said:
From this. That is tampering
:shrug: They are pissing me off right now because they said they would not even persue big name guys.

I want them to schedule them when FA begins...

How is that tampering?

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
nidan said:
You said they were pissing you of now.

FA hasn't started yet so they can't call anybody.

In fact I looked and all the guys mentioned here seem to be under contract today, so we can't call them or their agent.

I might have missed some transdactions but I looked through the ESPN FA transactin list for the last couple of weeks.

People are concerned because there are reports that the Cards are targeting what people consider inferior talent as FA acquisitions. Nothing wrong with being mad about that. Of course it would probably be better to wait and see if the reports are true.

Biggest change since Green arrived? Cardinal players aren't lining up to catch the first plane out of town. In the past the Cardinals couldn't keep their top players no matter what they offered them. Has to have been a major change in the Corporate culture for that to have happened.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
LoyaltyisaCurse said:
:shrug: They are pissing me off right now because they said they would not even persue big name guys.

I want them to schedule them when FA begins...

How is that tampering?

Scheduling requires a phone call, and if made before 12:01 Saturday it's TAMPERING!

BIM: pursue

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Crazy Canuck said:
Scheduling requires a phone call, and if made before 12:01 Saturday its TAMPERING!

I am not to sure about that. If it is tampering the NFL takes a blind eye to it. For example, Will Allen was already in town for a meeting before FA even started so why was he here unless we called him before the deadline.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Crazy Canuck said:
Scheduling requires a phone call, and if made before 12:01 Saturday it's TAMPERING!

thanks for the BIM... Thats why I said when FA starts...
icon14.gif

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ed Burmila said:
I disagree. Ross was absolutely horrendous all on his own. He didn't need help nor can he blame his awful performance on anyone else. It was so easy to beat him off the edge that opponents didn't even feel a need to try any other moves. Not to mention the penalties. He is the worst pass blocker I've seen in years, and no, I'm not changing my tune. I said that when they foolishly signed him. Just think - 4 more years left on his deal. Can you imagine how bad he'll be when he's 35?

With all that said, they can cut Ross, right now, and clear 700k in cap space even after absorbing his bonus all onto this year's cap. Say what you will about their free agent contracts, but, if they sign a dud, they can cut him with minimal pain. I think they did learn something from the Wadsworth, Swann, Simmons and Joyner disasters.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
joeshmo said:
I am not to sure about that. If it is tampering the NFL takes a blind eye to it. For example, Will Allen was already in town for a meeting before FA even started so why was he here unless we called him before the deadline.

How true. How else do teams manage to sign guys within hours of the start of free agency?

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
joeshmo said:

Good point : EP, I guess... :D

Ed Burmila

Registered
Reaction score
First of all, I believe Allen was released which makes him able to contact whomever he wants.

Second of all, tampering is rampant and the NFL ignores it. Remember in 1999 when the Buffalo Bills signed WR Kevin Williams away from the Cardinals at 12:05 AM on the first day of free agency?

Pretty amazing how his agent negotiated, read, and signed that contract in 5 minutes.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ed Burmila said:
Pretty amazing how his agent negotiated, read, and signed that contract in 5 minutes.

You mean you couldnt do that? :shrug:

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind if the cardinals splurged for once, hey let's try something different what's the worst thing that could happen you go 5-11 for the next 10 years? Normally, taking a risk is what you need to do to turn things around but luckily with the Cardinals You are risking nothing other than Bidwill's money when you are already consistently one of the worst teams in the NFL.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Ed Burmila said:
First of all, I believe Allen was released which makes him able to contact whomever he wants.

He wasnt released.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
joeshmo said:
I'm guessing we didn't call him directly. It's more likely we touched base with his agent through intermediaries and it went from there.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
nidan said:
Sure some teams [that have historicly sucked] tuned it around in several years. Some remind me, how long has Holmgren been in Seattle, 2 or 3 years is it ;). However fast [1-2 years] turnarounds require at least 1 or 2 things.
  1. The team didn't suck really bad for a long time. In this case probably on the roster had to be fixed.
  2. Luck. With a little bit of luck and the stars aligning somes you get the bear. Last year the bear got us.

pretty sure the rams turned it around instantaneously. and it wasn't luck, it was being aggressive. and they sucked for a LONG time and came outta nowhere. and don't tell me warner was "luck" 'cuz that team would have made the playoffs and been good (might not have the superbowl, but who knows) behind trent green too.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
nidan said:
Do you really think the Cards aren't planning to upgrade our OL and running game this offseason ? Because that's the impression I get from many here, they seem to think the Cardinals brain trust is to stupid to see what they see.

we could all be wrong, but so far all we're hearing is "we love jj" and "we're bringing in kosier and milford" . . . how much does that excite you about upgrading our OL and running game this offseason?

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Ouchie-Z-Clown said:
we could all be wrong, but so far all we're hearing is "we love jj" and "we're bringing in kosier and milford" . . . how much does that excite you about upgrading our OL and running game this offseason?

I can see it now, the Hogs of the 21st century...a real powerhouse running game. They will make one big splash, either rb or ol, that is my prediction.

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You misunderstand me Ouchie.

I didn't say that fast turnarounds are luck, I said they need luck. Big difference.

The point being that you can do everything right and still have it turn to a turd in your hand. The faster [aka more aggressively] you try to do it the more likely this result is.

I can think of a number of teams that have been historticly bad and seem to have improved recently
  1. Tampa
  2. Rams
  3. Seattle
  4. Bengals
  5. Patriots, I might be wrong here but didn't they suck not too many years ago ?
And we all know what they have in common. They all got new stadiums, does that suggest that the increased revenued helped? Also We had a worst stadium/stadium lease than any of theose teams, so what does that say ?