$35.5M in cap space

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I see what you're saying, but again, we don't need to finish top of our division, or second, to make the playoffs and contend.
That's the hope.

It's very possible that Seattle falls apart with Carroll gone.

I think once Stafford is done, McVay won't be interested in a rebuild.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
That's the hope.

It's very possible that Seattle falls apart with Carroll gone.

I think once Stafford is done, McVay won't be interested in a rebuild.
Seattle will be putting in their scheme for first year coaches. If true they will struggle.

With Gannon as a head coach, I no longer fear the Rams and 49ers. I expect 4 hard fought games. Pound the rock!

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Around 10 players, split evenly preferably. And that's proven starter level talent, not potential. It doesn't have to be top tier talent, but should be someone the FO can count on.

Just looking at who is left from the 2022 team and it's basically Budda, JT, Kyler, Conner, Will Hernandez, Zaven Collins (at a different position) and Trey McBride, although McBride was nothing then and Zaven is a fringe starter currently.

And in my opinion only 1 of them is a potential top tier starter at an important position at that time, and that's Kyler. McBride has developed into someone with top 10 position potential.

I love Conner, but running back is an easy position to replace. Heck, Connor was a disposable running back when we picked him up. Safety is the running back of defense and it pains me that we have so much money in that position.

I'm missing Hump off here, although you could put him in if you want. For me he was always the Andy Dalton of left tackles. Initially promising enough to think he's a franchise player, but ultimately proved to be a bottom tier starter. I think the team would have moved away from him without the injury.

So Monti started with 5 total surefire starters (Kyler, Conner, Budda, JT, Hernandez) and none of them at WR, CB, Edge, DL. If you have 10 and those 10 are at key positions then even better.

The QB is a massive wildcard though. You hit on a good QB or get a QB playing lights out and it can make a below average roster a postseason team. Look at the '21 Cardinals, or last years Texans. Nobody looked at the Texans roster pre season and thought they were better than 5 wins.

Which is why I think this years team, while not there yet on paper, can surprise people if Kyler is good. I think even with last years worse roster we get 8 wins if Kyler is healthy.
McBride is already top 10. You can name me 10 better TEs right now?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
agree... Trey is top 5,...and a few of the guys ahead of him are aging out
I think he is right around 5 or 6 currently. He could be top 3 by the end of the year.

Outerlimits

Veteran
Reaction score
Mm, maybe. I will say this--we have zero excuses next year. IDGAF what happens this year, although we'd better be way improved--but Monti has to have this team ready to compete next year. Otherwise his plan will have failed. Now, with your 3 draft cycles, that would fit. I'm not saying I'm doubtful of the outcome. I think he's done well within the confines he or Mikey B have set for the team. Next offseason must break that mold, at least somewhat, IMO, if we're going to take a real shot.

I agree with this if Kyler plays well overall this season.

If Kyler plays poorly then Monti is obviously going to have to start over at QB. It would be foolish to run the GM out of town before he has an opportunity to choose the player at the most important position on the team.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I agree with this if Kyler plays well overall this season.

If Kyler plays poorly then Monti is obviously going to have to start over at QB. It would be foolish to run the GM out of town before he has an opportunity to choose the player at the most important position on the team.
Mm, I'd be 50/50 on this. Monti's the one who declared Kyler the guy and stuck with him. That's on him, fair or not. If Kyler sucks out loud, it may be early enough in Monti's tenure to give him another shot at QB, but it damn sure wouldn't be a "long development" time of like 3-years, similar to what he's getting with this rebuild.

Stout

Reaction score
Stout, what would you have said/done about Kyler, if you were Monti?
I'm not blaming him for backing Kyler; I think it was the only choice for many reasons. Either way, he did back Kyler, so he is in part tied to him. Now, he didn't draft Kyler, so that earns leeway if Kyler fails this year, for certain. If, however, we get two years beyond that--year four--and Monti shows no progress in getting the QBOF and we still stink, I don't think he gets year five.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm not blaming him for backing Kyler; I think it was the only choice for many reasons. Either way, he did back Kyler, so he is in part tied to him. Now, he didn't draft Kyler, so that earns leeway if Kyler fails this year, for certain. If, however, we get two years beyond that--year four--and Monti shows no progress in getting the QBOF and we still stink, I don't think he gets year five.
What is interesting? I’ve never been a fan of Kyler previously but I am now.

Could be maturity growth or i finally see his immense talent if used properly.

More likely I see him as a leader of men now.

Stout

Reaction score
What is interesting? I’ve never been a fan of Kyler previously but I am now.

Could be maturity growth or i finally see his immense talent if used properly.

More likely I see him as a leader of men now.
I'm not a fan of him beyond he's my team's QB. He did the bare minimum last year to get the nod this year, for me, and that is all. He's saying and doing all the right things in the offseason, but it remains to be seen if he will do it on the field.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of him beyond he's my team's QB. He did the bare minimum last year to get the nod this year, for me, and that is all. He's saying and doing all the right things in the offseason, but it remains to be seen if he will do it on the field.
He still hadn't shown us that he can read a defense

He busted his butt coming back from his injury and is saying the right things

Now it's time to see if he's for real

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think there is a clear top 6 at TE. Trey is in that group. Where in that group is a discussion. Right now I would 5th, but top 3 is aging and Trey is still developing, so should/could look different by season end
You must be registered for see images attach

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You keep saying this... where's the evidence?
All you have to do is watch him panic when his first read is covered

Where's your proof that he can?

Show us some film that shows him going through his progressions while standing in the pocket and not just dumping it off

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
All you have to do is watch him panic when his first read is covered

Where's your proof that he can?

Show us some film that shows him going through his progressions while standing in the pocket and not just dumping it off

You made the statement, so the 'proof' is on you.

Escaping a broken-down pocket is not 'panic'; it's an attempt to save the play.

Maybe you ought to take the time to review KYLER's play under our present competent play-caller and not harken back to the disaster that left town unceremoniously.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You made the statement, so the 'proof' is on you.

Escaping a broken-down pocket is not 'panic'; it's an attempt to save the play.

Maybe you ought to take the time to review KYLER's play under our present competent play-caller and not harken back to the disaster that left town unceremoniously.
I've watched everyone of his plays

My eyes don't lie

Hour many of the back foot throws food he make because of last second decisions because he didn't know where his open guy was or where they were supposed to be?

How many times did he throw the receivers open?

Compare his sand lot plays with guys like Warner and Brady who know where all the receivers are supposed to be

I want him to be the best and learning to read the defense will help him to elevate his game and help to over come his height disadvantage

Last edited:

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I've watched everyone of his plays

My eyes don't lie

Hour many of the back foot throws food he make because of last second decisions because he didn't know where his open guy was or where they were supposed to be?

How many times did he throw the receivers open?

Compare his sand lot plays with guys like Warner and Brady who know where all the receivers are supposed to be

I want him to be the best and learning to read the defense will help him to elevate his game and help to over come his height disadvantage
Yeah because if he ain't a hall of gamer then he's a bust.

Your eyes must have slept through the last 4 games of last season.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He is an average qb with occasional great highlight plays. That's plenty enough to take this team as far as it can go.
Assuming he can win in the playoffs of course.
Fair enough

But he still has areas of his game he could improve on and elevate his average status as you have him

Some here think he is elite and he is at times

He had the opportunity to step up his game to the next level

Let's see if did