football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
well -- he is probably better than anyone on their roster --

which really says more about the WRs on their roster

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Do the Niners still have Darrall Jackson?

They can take a good leg from each and make a darn good late 30's WR!

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
:biglaugh:

Gotta say... at the beginning of today I was worried about the 49ers, rumored at getting Faneca, Briggs, Pace, JaVon Walker, ect...

Signing Bruce and Foster is great news...

For Cards Fans...

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Niners were screwed the instant they signed Martz as OC. They will be a friggin train wreck next year.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
The Lions had 36 turnovers last year and the 49ers had 34. The Lions scored over 100 more points though. Bruce is an upgrade. Foster is better depth and an upgrade over Hicks/Robinson. Their defense gave up fewer points than Arizona's and beat the Card's twice. How are these upgrades good news for Arizona? Niners points will go up and Arizona wants to scale back their offense.

Games have to be played but I see the Niners getting better and they already swept Arizona last year.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Lions had 36 turnovers last year and the 49ers had 34. The Lions scored over 100 more points though. Bruce is an upgrade. Foster is better depth and an upgrade over Hicks/Robinson. Their defense gave up fewer points than Arizona's and beat the Card's twice. How are these upgrades good news for Arizona? Niners points will go up and Arizona wants to scale back their offense.

Games have to be played but I see the Niners getting better and they already swept Arizona last year.

Well, Bruce is what, 47 or something?

I just think they sucked last year, and they are going to suck again next year. Will we participate in their beat down? :shrug: I never say we're going to put it on any particular team. No way.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
Bruce is 35 and is very similar to Rice in terms of physical condition. He hasn't taken a lot of hits and may not be as fast as he once was, but he's still fast. A real upgrade over what SF had. He's an actual downfield(not deep) threat that will help the running game and Vernon Davis at TE.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

You have to understand that the better the 49ers are, the better the Cards chances of beating them. Its only when the 49ers aren't very good that the Cards have trouble winning games against SF.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
... and they signed Justin Smith DE Bengals. Bruce steps right in to Martz system. Lelie goes bye bye.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
The niners suck

and that is why it sucked losing to them last season. Justin Smith and Issac Bruce...yawn, they still suck. I just hope Bruce predicts a win over the Cardinals like he did when with the Rams last season. Oh, the Niners suck if I forgot to mention it.

young tone

5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPS!!!!!
Reaction score
Well Isaac Bruce was a real good signing for us. Come on we all know Bruce wasnt to be the main guy. He came in to help out our young receivers (Hill, and whoever we draft this year) about the Martz system. Not only that but he can still be productive while doing it (not like Dilfer). Great moveimho, especially Ram fans crying about seeing Bruce in a Red and Gold jersey....

Bruce is still a precise route runner, he can still get open. Only 2 yr 3 mill deal, not too much

ramfanjoe

Reaction score
Bruce is 35 and is very similar to Rice in terms of physical condition. He hasn't taken a lot of hits and may not be as fast as he once was, but he's still fast. A real upgrade over what SF had. He's an actual downfield(not deep) threat that will help the running game and Vernon Davis at TE.

That is a pretty terrible evaluation on Bruce's current skill set. He will not be an upgrade over D. Jack, as ineffective as he was for the niners last year. He not fast, and he will be very slow on the grass in San Fran. He lacks the toughness and durability to take on DB's. He hits the turf as soon as he catches the ball and when he doesn't hit the turf he gets caught from behind. He is good for 3-4 TD's per year and his yards per catch have been on the decline, even when Martz was his OC. He will be 36 during the season and is not worth 4 million or 3 million per year. The Rams were good to offer him 3 million at his age. Your comparison to Rice is laughable, Bruce will come no where close to matching what Rice did in his two seasons as a Raider.

Last edited:

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is a pretty terrible evaluation on Bruce's current skill set. He will not be an upgrade over D. Jack, as ineffective as he was for the niners last year. He not fast, and he will be very slow on the grass in San Fran. He lacks the toughness and durability to take on DB's. He hits the turf as soon as he catches the ball and when he doesn't hit the turf he gets caught from behind. He is good for 3-4 TD's per year and his yards per catch have been on the decline, even when Martz was his OC. He will be 36 during the season and is not worth 4 million or 3 million per year. The Rams were good to offer him 3 million at his age. Your comparison to Rice is laughable, Bruce will come no where close to matching what Rice did in his two seasons as a Raider.

D. Jack. ?

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Bruce's career clearly makes him in the end one of the best Wrs to play the game, but he is also clearly not even close to what he used to be.

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
I find the Justin Smith signing the most curious by the 49ers.

i wonder if this is SF's new GM hedging his bets on what kind of defense his coach in 2009 (i.e. Nolan's replacement) will run -- because Justin Smith isnt a 3-4 type. At 275 lbs, Smith will spend 1st and 2nd down lined up on a tackle.

This reminds me of St. Louis drafting Adam Carriker, a lifelong defensive end, and then insisting that he is a defensive tackle. After a wasted rookie year, they had concluded that he probably should be at defensive end.

Finally -- maybe they go after it in the draft, but I am surprised the 49ers havent tried to bring in a slot type guy at WR -- I think this is the player that really makes Martz's offense go -- he had Az Hakim and Kevin Curtis in St. L, Mike Furrey in Detroit. I just dont see anyone on the SF roster who can fill that role.

Last edited:

young tone

5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPS!!!!!
Reaction score
Well Im expecting the Niners to draft a WR somewhere in the draft and with Bruce being signed, he can help and mentor the WR we draft and Jason Hill. He has been in the Martz offense so he he can teach and make some sort of impact for us. I dont think he will be a number 1 guy here, but we'll see what moves the Niners make for the draft...

I have to say though, I am glad we got Bruce, I was skeptical at first but I understand the logic. Nolan is on a short leash, so he needs a vet to come and contribute and help our young receivers.

Under Martz, Davis will be utilized very well. I can only imagine what Martz has in store for VD.

We wont be a great offense next year but definitely improved and fans here will be interested....

I like the Smith signing BTW. Way too much money but thats free angency. He will put pressure and help out Manny Lawson. Our pass rush, again not going to be great, but will be better off than last year. It will help out Clements and Harris.

Its going to be interesting in SF. It has got me excited but after last offseason's expectations, I am definitely hesitant to predict anything....but we'll see

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05