6 BARGAIN FAs for Cards to check out

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
The following are excerpts that I took from Featured Columnist Dan Hope's, Jan. 2, 2015 article for the Bleacher Report. Each of these players are fits for the Cardinals, and all come at very good bargains. While I realize that not all can be taken for money reasons, ALL of these players fit a particular need for the Cards, and All are starter quality:

OL-----A Q Shipley, C/G, Colts: With Sendlein becoming a FA in 2016, procuring a quality replacement for him at a very reasonable rate this year would be smart. In addition, Shipley would supplant Alan Faniaca at the RG position this year. He is already familiar with BA's playbook, and should be ready to step in immediately.
According to 'Hope', Shipley has arguably been the Colts best interior offensive lineman in 2014. Seeing as the Colts have insisted on starting other linemen ahead of him, he will come cheaply for 2015 as a Restricted Free Agent. In his three years, Shipley has started with the Ravens, and with the Colts, and has not played badly. Experienced at both Center and Guard, he projects as an ideal interior swing back-up, and also as a starter for a team in need of a center or a guard. He should be available for 2.5 to 3 Mil. per year in the second wave of free agency.

TE-----Virgil Green, Broncos: As a role player for the Broncos, Green won't be a big-ticket FA this year, but he could be a BREAK-OUT player for the team that picks him up. Green has become a KEY run-blocker for the Broncos, (graded as 4th best in the NFL), by 'Pro Football Focus' this year. In the 2011 Draft, he was more heralded for his athleticism and receiving than for his blocking. With a 4.64 forty, and a 42.5 inch vertical, he was one of the best performers in that Combine.
Only catching 23 passes for 206 yards at Denver, his lack of productivity was as much due to the wealth of established pass catching weapons, as any lack of skill on his part. Because of the many big veteran contracts Denver has to already negotiate, Green could be signed for about 2 Mil per year, (and could WELL outperform his contract).

OLB-----Justin Durant, Cowboys: Durant started strong in 2014 before tearing a bicep in Week 6. He recorded 49 tackles, 4 passes defensed, and 2 forced fumbles before going on IR. With fellow LBs, Rolando McClain, and Bruce Carter as younger free agents, and with Sean Lee returning from injury, and Anthony Hitchens having a strong rookie season, there may not be room under the cap for Durant at Dallas.
Durant could be a potential starter at SOLB, or WILB in a 4/3, or as an ILB in a 3/4 configuration. At the age of 29, Durant could be available for 2.5 to 3 Mil per year for a one or two year deal. He could be well worth taking a chance on a team in need of a starter, or a key rotational player at LB.

OLB/DE-----Brian Orakpo, Redskins: This stand-out is considered one of the best at his position in the NFL, but due to suffering three pectoral tears in the past few years, he will no longer command the 11 plus Mil that he had been getting. A three time Pro-Bowler, Orakpo is an excellent edge defender when healthy. He is likely to sign a short term deal in hopes of re-establishing himself for the future at far less than he was making.
It would make sense for him to sign with a contender looking to upgrade either as a 3/4 OLB, or as a 4/3 DE. For that team he could come at a cheaper rate than some of the first rate free agent pass rushers, and potentially make a big impact on a new defense.

RB-----Justin Forsett, Ravens: Forsett might be the 'best bargain' among all the FA, RBs in 2015. He rushed for 1266 yards in 2014, (5th most in the NFL). He also had 8 TDs, and caught 44 passes for 263 yards. A 29 year old with no spectacular traits, he will not likely carry a 'top tier' value. Proven to be a productive feature back, he should be available for 3.5 Mil or less.

FS-----Rahim Moore, Broncos: After suffering a horrifying medical condition in 2013, (acute compartment syndrome), and nearly having to have his leg amputated, Moore started all 16 games for the Broncs in 2014 at FS. He recorded 49 tackles, 4 ints, and 2 forced fumbles.
Even so, he is unlikely to command big money as a FA. While the Broncos have too many other big contracts to sign, he qualifies as an average-level FS with an injury history that could leave some teams hesitant. A solidly established starter, he could be available as a 2nd tier player for 3 to 4 Mil per year. He could provide a team with a solid FS for however many years they choose to ink him.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Luv Durant & Green, those would be very good additions Fish.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I really like Durant, but so does Dallas. And I doubt hed be as cheap as you may think.

Orakpo will get money on reputation alone. Guy is way too injured. Hes missed like 23 game in the last 2 seasons.

And no more paying TEs. Weve got 2 big, young, cheap options in Niklas and Fells. They are enough. We could have Gronk and hes prob end the season with 14 catches.

OP
OP
Catfish

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
I really like Durant, but so does Dallas. And I doubt hed be as cheap as you may think.

Orakpo will get money on reputation alone. Guy is way too injured. Hes missed like 23 game in the last 2 seasons.

And no more paying TEs. Weve got 2 big, young, cheap options in Niklas and Fells. They are enough. We could have Gronk and hes prob end the season with 14 catches.

According to the article, Dallas has already had discussions about whether or not to keep Durant, and opted for the latter as of now.

Green is a proven commodity who would cost only about half a mil more than Niklas if I recall, and he has done absolutely nothing to earn that 1.5 mil.

You might be right about Orakpo getting a lot more money, but the FO did say that they would explore some big end FAs this year.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I still like Orakpo, because he is just the kind of gamble we can afford. He has the possibility to be a force while the other options gets us basically what we have now and that is nothing major :)

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Green is a proven commodity who would cost only about half a mil more than Niklas if I recall, and he has done absolutely nothing to earn that 1.5 mil.

Even if money werent a factor, I want Niklas to get every single snap possible.
I dont even want Fells taking snaps from him.

Given we never use TEs, it really bugged me when we burned a 2nd rounder on him.

But we did, therefore I want him to earn that 2nd round distinction. No being backup. He starts day 1 next year and plays every snap till he eventually hurts himself, as all cards do.

OP
OP
Catfish

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Even if money werent a factor, I want Niklas to get every single snap possible.
I dont even want Fells taking snaps from him.

Given we never use TEs, it really bugged me when we burned a 2nd rounder on him.

But we did, therefore I want him to earn that 2nd round distinction. No being backup. He starts day 1 next year and plays every snap till he eventually hurts himself, as all cards do.

Really? You would put a personal vendetta ahead of the success of the team?

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Really? You would put a personal vendetta ahead of the success of the team?

Yes. Wasted 2nd round picks hurt this team more than I ever could anyways.

Not saying Niklas was a wasted pick, yet.

Thats what Im trying to prevent by making sure he doesnt get buried on the depth chart. You only get good at this game by playing it.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I don't think any of those players will be bargains, and the ones who are cheap are because they are terrible.

Sean Weatherspoon is probably more of a bargain candidate.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
RB-----Justin Forsett, Ravens: Forsett might be the 'best bargain' among all the FA, RBs in 2015. He rushed for 1266 yards in 2014, (5th most in the NFL). He also had 8 TDs, and caught 44 passes for 263 yards. A 29 year old with no spectacular traits, he will not likely carry a 'top tier' value. Proven to be a productive feature back, he should be available for 3.5 Mil or less.

I like a lot of your picks, but Forsett is too small for what we need. Ravens OL is much, much better at Run Blocking than ours. We need to build with youth all around and build it from the ground UP....literally. :)

OP
OP
Catfish

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Well-----EXCUSE ME-----So much for Forsett being a 29 year old, (under the radar), back. With all the media coverage of Ray Rice this year for the Ravens, it appeared that Frosett would not command a lot of money. Forget that !!!!! If no one knew about him before today, they do now! He might not be a sensational back, but he sure has put his game out there for the world to see, and I'm sorry, because the Cards will not be buying this one I fear. He has just pretty much priced himself out of our market.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It will be fun to see who SK picks up off the bargain table this offseason. Not sure he's really missed on any yet. Ginn is the only one who comes to mind that I turned out hating the signing.

The list of good to great signings is rather lengthy.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well-----EXCUSE ME-----So much for Forsett being a 29 year old, (under the radar), back. With all the media coverage of Ray Rice this year for the Ravens, it appeared that Frosett would not command a lot of money. Forget that !!!!! If no one knew about him before today, they do now! He might not be a sensational back, but he sure has put his game out there for the world to see, and I'm sorry, because the Cards will not be buying this one I fear. He has just pretty much priced himself out of our market.

he has speed,very elusive and can read plays well ,he is patience to find a hole and he hit it
but i think we have something similiar with kerwynn williams

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
The following are excerpts that I took from Featured Columnist Dan Hope's, Jan. 2, 2015 article for the Bleacher Report. Each of these players are fits for the Cardinals, and all come at very good bargains. While I realize that not all can be taken for money reasons, ALL of these players fit a particular need for the Cards, and All are starter quality:

OL-----A Q Shipley, C/G, Colts: With Sendlein becoming a FA in 2016, procuring a quality replacement for him at a very reasonable rate this year would be smart. In addition, Shipley would supplant Alan Faniaca at the RG position this year. He is already familiar with BA's playbook, and should be ready to step in immediately.
According to 'Hope', Shipley has arguably been the Colts best interior offensive lineman in 2014. Seeing as the Colts have insisted on starting other linemen ahead of him, he will come cheaply for 2015 as a Restricted Free Agent. In his three years, Shipley has started with the Ravens, and with the Colts, and has not played badly. Experienced at both Center and Guard, he projects as an ideal interior swing back-up, and also as a starter for a team in need of a center or a guard. He should be available for 2.5 to 3 Mil. per year in the second wave of free agency.

TE-----Virgil Green, Broncos: As a role player for the Broncos, Green won't be a big-ticket FA this year, but he could be a BREAK-OUT player for the team that picks him up. Green has become a KEY run-blocker for the Broncos, (graded as 4th best in the NFL), by 'Pro Football Focus' this year. In the 2011 Draft, he was more heralded for his athleticism and receiving than for his blocking. With a 4.64 forty, and a 42.5 inch vertical, he was one of the best performers in that Combine.
Only catching 23 passes for 206 yards at Denver, his lack of productivity was as much due to the wealth of established pass catching weapons, as any lack of skill on his part. Because of the many big veteran contracts Denver has to already negotiate, Green could be signed for about 2 Mil per year, (and could WELL outperform his contract).

OLB-----Justin Durant, Cowboys: Durant started strong in 2014 before tearing a bicep in Week 6. He recorded 49 tackles, 4 passes defensed, and 2 forced fumbles before going on IR. With fellow LBs, Rolando McClain, and Bruce Carter as younger free agents, and with Sean Lee returning from injury, and Anthony Hitchens having a strong rookie season, there may not be room under the cap for Durant at Dallas.
Durant could be a potential starter at SOLB, or WILB in a 4/3, or as an ILB in a 3/4 configuration. At the age of 29, Durant could be available for 2.5 to 3 Mil per year for a one or two year deal. He could be well worth taking a chance on a team in need of a starter, or a key rotational player at LB.

OLB/DE-----Brian Orakpo, Redskins: This stand-out is considered one of the best at his position in the NFL, but due to suffering three pectoral tears in the past few years, he will no longer command the 11 plus Mil that he had been getting. A three time Pro-Bowler, Orakpo is an excellent edge defender when healthy. He is likely to sign a short term deal in hopes of re-establishing himself for the future at far less than he was making.
It would make sense for him to sign with a contender looking to upgrade either as a 3/4 OLB, or as a 4/3 DE. For that team he could come at a cheaper rate than some of the first rate free agent pass rushers, and potentially make a big impact on a new defense.

FS-----Rahim Moore, Broncos: After suffering a horrifying medical condition in 2013, (acute compartment syndrome), and nearly having to have his leg amputated, Moore started all 16 games for the Broncs in 2014 at FS. He recorded 49 tackles, 4 ints, and 2 forced fumbles.
Even so, he is unlikely to command big money as a FA. While the Broncos have too many other big contracts to sign, he qualifies as an average-level FS with an injury history that could leave some teams hesitant. A solidly established starter, he could be available as a 2nd tier player for 3 to 4 Mil per year. He could provide a team with a solid FS for however many years they choose to ink him.

Good list Catfish, very respectable, mine is a little different at each position.

OL: If you are going to pay 3 mil for Shipley then keep Sendlien and draft a center in the late rounds, and bring in a host of guys in the offseason. Centers are not hard to find in the NFL, IMO. Plus there is no one that really stands out in free agency in this up coming offseason when it comes to offensive linemen. Nice to have the offensive line in the condition it is right now, yes, guard is an issue, but I feel our tackles are in great shape. I would like to see the team upgrade from Bradley Sowell to be honest, but that is another topic all together.

TE: I know the topic is BARGAIN free agents, but there is too much opportunity at tight end in this upcoming free agency.

Julius Thomas, Jordan Cameron, Charles Clay, Jermaine Gresham, and Zack Miller are all possibilities, IMO. Zack Miller being that "prove it" type player that the Cardinals like to sign. As for Vigil Green.....just not sold on him, and I don't know where his role would be. Would he have to beat out Carlson?

Not to mention I also really like, Lance Kendricks, Daniel Fells, Bear Pascoe, and Tony Moeaki to come in and compete with Darren Fells. I am still surprised that Arians doesn't go after a Bear Pascoe type whom is so big he is practically a small offensive tackle.

ILB: I am with you on this one in what we need at the position. Something that is going to EXPLODE as a valuable commodity is a good coverage linebacker in the NFL. Don't believe me? Then why would Deone Bucannon be put a ILBer ? Because of his coverage ability. These guys are hard to find, so much tho, that guys like Bucannon are going to be used like the Cardinals did more and more. Heck, look at the Panthers and Thomas Davis, look back at when Davis was drafted, he was a safety in college. Its not too far fetched, we always said Adrian Wilson could have played a little lineback back in the day, but I digress.....

Justin Durant doesn't make my list, but barely. Why ? His ONLY value to the Cardinals would be his coverage abilities and speed. This year was a little busy for me so I really didn't watch too many games, and when I did, it was pure entertainment, no half-arse scouting. Thus does Durant still have anything left in his legs ? I loved him with the Jaguars, his speed was very good. But, that was a while ago. If the Cardinals kick his tires, I wouldn't complain, but he has to be a coverage, WILB, or he is not worth bringing in, IMO.

That all being said, sets me up for the question: "Well, smartypants, if not Durant then who?" I don't have much to respond to that with, my very short list for that WILB/coverage linebacker role is:

- Akeem Ayers, NE
- Geno Hayes, Jac
- DJ Williams, Chi <--- But, this is JUST like Justin Durant's situation

Now, to stay in the vein of inside linebackers, realize our only real starter that we can say is currently on the roster as I write this is Kevin Minter, and he is getting to be bust worthy if he cannot beat out Glenn Carson for playing time. So, there is a HUGE void at ILBer, and both positions. Even if Larry Foote comes back (and that is FAR from certain), he is going to be part time. My short list of SILB is as follows:

- David Harris, NYJ
- Lance Briggs, Chi
- Larry Foote, AZ
- Brandon Spikes, Buf
- Rey Maualuga, Cin
- Jasper Brinkley, Min

** BTW - At the end of the year, Sam Acho played a little SILB. **

Pass Rusher: Best list of free agent pass rushers I have seen...maybe ever. First off, write in, with ink, Alex Okafor for one of the pass rushing spots on the team. This guy can get the job done.

Now for free agents, the situation is always if the players get tagged/resigned, so how many of these guys get to free agency ? But, as of right now, they are going to be available. I 100% agree with the player you have above, BTW. Here is my shortlist:

- Justin Houston/Tamba Hali, KC (Like Fitz, and Boldin, they can't have both)
- Brian Orakpo, WAS
- Derrick Morgan, Ten
- Greg Hardy, Car (NFL gods taketh away (DWaste), maybe giveth ?)
- Brandon Graham, Phi/Trent Cole, Phi (same thing as Houston and Hali)
- Jabaal Sheard, Cle
- John Abraham, AZ (Redemption or just plain crazy ?)
- Jerry Hughes, Buf
- Brooks Reed, Hou

RB: Not a fan of Justin Forsett, I would rather a stronger, power back. Not to mention I would rather go into camp with Kerwynn Williams, who is under contract for next season, then Forsett. Ellington is going to play running back but hopefully will be used more like a Jamaal Charles. Thus a compliment back would be nice. A grinder. My short list is made up of running backs that may be looking for a job going into June:

- Frank Gore, SF
- Marshaun Lynch, Sea
- Mark Ingram, NO
- Darren McFadden, Oak
- Ahmad Bradshaw, Ind
- Roy Helu, Was

Defensive Back: Not sure I see the Cardinals bringing in another safety. The safeties under contract for next season are:

- Rashad Johnson
- Deone Bucannon (he has to go back to safety at some point)
- Tyrann Mathieu
- Tony Jefferson
- Chris Clemons (signed late this season)

For free agency safeties, I was looking at "tweeners" and only one stuck out in my mind. Sherrod Martin, Jac, kid had great speed coming out of college, I and know he got hurt at some point with Jac, but if his speed is any where near where it was coming out of college, he would be a good piece to have on the roster since it would increase the speed in the safety position. Role player type guy. I would be confident in saying, IMO, Sherrod Martin could cover a guy like Luke Wilson (TE, on Seahawks).

Staying with the defensive back position, the big question is what is going to happen with Antonio Cromartie ? He is not signed for next year so my short list of free agent cornerbacks is:

- Antonio Cromartie, AZ
- Byron Maxwell, Sea
- Darius Butler, Ind
- Charles Tillman, Chi
- Brandon Flowers, SD (expensive)
- Mike Jenkins, TB (meh)

Cool post, thanks for sharing. Comments are welcome

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

I very much disagree.

There is good opportunity to get a pass catching TE, with some speed. Carlson is good but he can be upgraded upon.

I think our blocking tight ends, between Niklas and Fells is in good shape.

Rob Housler was supposed to have a big role in this team, and he can't get that job done. I see the Cardinals really going after a tight end.

I would love to see a player like Charles Clay come in.

JMHO

jmt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I very much disagree.

There is good opportunity to get a pass catching TE, with some speed. Carlson is good but he can be upgraded upon.

I think our blocking tight ends, between Niklas and Fells is in good shape.

Rob Housler was supposed to have a big role in this team, and he can't get that job done. I see the Cardinals really going after a tight end.

I would love to see a player like Charles Clay come in.

JMHO

Carlson and housler both stink. Hopefully they have turned in their play books,

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Carlson and housler both stink. Hopefully they have turned in their play books,

I don't get the negative vibes going towards Carlson. He wasn't a superstar but he wasn't brought in to be one, IMO.

Solid signing, and he was a solid player, IMHO.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't get the negative vibes going towards Carlson. He wasn't a superstar but he wasn't brought in to be one, IMO.

Solid signing, and he was a solid player, IMHO.

yes but he didnt show anything as a blocker tigh end
i watched olsen yesterday , considered a receiver tigh end but putting a couple of great blocks aganst seahawks defense

OP
OP
Catfish

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Good list Catfish, very respectable, mine is a little different at each position.

OL: If you are going to pay 3 mil for Shipley then keep Sendlien and draft a center in the late rounds, and bring in a host of guys in the offseason. Centers are not hard to find in the NFL, IMO. Plus there is no one that really stands out in free agency in this up coming offseason when it comes to offensive linemen. Nice to have the offensive line in the condition it is right now, yes, guard is an issue, but I feel our tackles are in great shape. I would like to see the team upgrade from Bradley Sowell to be honest, but that is another topic all together.

TE: I know the topic is BARGAIN free agents, but there is too much opportunity at tight end in this upcoming free agency.

Julius Thomas, Jordan Cameron, Charles Clay, Jermaine Gresham, and Zack Miller are all possibilities, IMO. Zack Miller being that "prove it" type player that the Cardinals like to sign. As for Vigil Green.....just not sold on him, and I don't know where his role would be. Would he have to beat out Carlson?

Not to mention I also really like, Lance Kendricks, Daniel Fells, Bear Pascoe, and Tony Moeaki to come in and compete with Darren Fells. I am still surprised that Arians doesn't go after a Bear Pascoe type whom is so big he is practically a small offensive tackle.

ILB: I am with you on this one in what we need at the position. Something that is going to EXPLODE as a valuable commodity is a good coverage linebacker in the NFL. Don't believe me? Then why would Deone Bucannon be put a ILBer ? Because of his coverage ability. These guys are hard to find, so much tho, that guys like Bucannon are going to be used like the Cardinals did more and more. Heck, look at the Panthers and Thomas Davis, look back at when Davis was drafted, he was a safety in college. Its not too far fetched, we always said Adrian Wilson could have played a little lineback back in the day, but I digress.....

Justin Durant doesn't make my list, but barely. Why ? His ONLY value to the Cardinals would be his coverage abilities and speed. This year was a little busy for me so I really didn't watch too many games, and when I did, it was pure entertainment, no half-arse scouting. Thus does Durant still have anything left in his legs ? I loved him with the Jaguars, his speed was very good. But, that was a while ago. If the Cardinals kick his tires, I wouldn't complain, but he has to be a coverage, WILB, or he is not worth bringing in, IMO.

That all being said, sets me up for the question: "Well, smartypants, if not Durant then who?" I don't have much to respond to that with, my very short list for that WILB/coverage linebacker role is:

- Akeem Ayers, NE
- Geno Hayes, Jac
- DJ Williams, Chi <--- But, this is JUST like Justin Durant's situation

Now, to stay in the vein of inside linebackers, realize our only real starter that we can say is currently on the roster as I write this is Kevin Minter, and he is getting to be bust worthy if he cannot beat out Glenn Carson for playing time. So, there is a HUGE void at ILBer, and both positions. Even if Larry Foote comes back (and that is FAR from certain), he is going to be part time. My short list of SILB is as follows:

- David Harris, NYJ
- Lance Briggs, Chi
- Larry Foote, AZ
- Brandon Spikes, Buf
- Rey Maualuga, Cin
- Jasper Brinkley, Min

** BTW - At the end of the year, Sam Acho played a little SILB. **

Pass Rusher: Best list of free agent pass rushers I have seen...maybe ever. First off, write in, with ink, Alex Okafor for one of the pass rushing spots on the team. This guy can get the job done.

Now for free agents, the situation is always if the players get tagged/resigned, so how many of these guys get to free agency ? But, as of right now, they are going to be available. I 100% agree with the player you have above, BTW. Here is my shortlist:

- Justin Houston/Tamba Hali, KC (Like Fitz, and Boldin, they can't have both)
- Brian Orakpo, WAS
- Derrick Morgan, Ten
- Greg Hardy, Car (NFL gods taketh away (DWaste), maybe giveth ?)
- Brandon Graham, Phi/Trent Cole, Phi (same thing as Houston and Hali)
- Jabaal Sheard, Cle
- John Abraham, AZ (Redemption or just plain crazy ?)
- Jerry Hughes, Buf
- Brooks Reed, Hou

RB: Not a fan of Justin Forsett, I would rather a stronger, power back. Not to mention I would rather go into camp with Kerwynn Williams, who is under contract for next season, then Forsett. Ellington is going to play running back but hopefully will be used more like a Jamaal Charles. Thus a compliment back would be nice. A grinder. My short list is made up of running backs that may be looking for a job going into June:

- Frank Gore, SF
- Marshaun Lynch, Sea
- Mark Ingram, NO
- Darren McFadden, Oak
- Ahmad Bradshaw, Ind
- Roy Helu, Was

Defensive Back: Not sure I see the Cardinals bringing in another safety. The safeties under contract for next season are:

- Rashad Johnson
- Tyrann Mathieu
- Tony Jefferson

For free agency safeties, I was looking at "tweeners" and only one stuck out in my mind. Sherrod Martin, Jac, kid had great speed coming out of college, I and know he got hurt at some point with Jac, but if his speed is any where near where it was coming out of college, he would be a good piece to have on the roster since it would increase the speed in the safety position. Role player type guy. I would be confident in saying, IMO, Sherrod Martin could cover a guy like Luke Wilson (TE, on Seahawks).

Staying with the defensive back position, the big question is what is going to happen with Antonio Cromartie ? He is not signed for next year so my short list of free agent cornerbacks is:

- Antonio Cromartie, AZ
- Byron Maxwell, Sea
- Darius Butler, Ind
- Charles Tillman, Chi
- Mike Jenkins, TB (meh)

ALL RIGHT MUFFIN !!! I can't argue with your OL assessment.

At TE, I could agree with either Clay or Zack Miller. I still like Green though, because he came out of college a proven and very athletic pass catcher. He has now developed into an 'elite' run blocker, but was pretty much ignored in Peyton Manning's wealth of receiving potentials. Never got the chance to really perform. I think we could add him to Niklas and Fells, and keep all three. (One of them might even develop into an occasional H-back type for those third downs where the opponent stacks the box), and still give us an escape receiver out of the backfield if the QB gets flushed. I think three like this is all we have to carry on the roster.

LB It was for his coverage ability and speed that I specifically selected Justin Durant. We sorely lacked D-Wash's cover skills on the TE's these past two year, and his speed could also help to spy on mobile QB's like Wilson and Kaepernik. I hope that something positive can still come of Washington, but I just don't have any faith that it will, I guess that this is just my way of surrendering to that end. Durant might be excellent for us at ILB in the 3/4.
I still don't have an answer for Minter so the draft is almost a definite.

Rush OLB-----I agree with Okafor like you do. He came on very well this year and shows a lot of upside yet. He has been good in this mix of defensive players and is a keeper in my mind. If we could get a solid run-stuffer in the middle, then on rare occasions, (when we run a 4 man front), we could pair Durant with Okafor at the edge. That might be fun to look at. I like your SILB selections, but just don't know where the money would come from.

More to come later:

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
ALL RIGHT MUFFIN !!! I can't argue with your OL assessment.

At TE, I could agree with either Clay or Zack Miller. I still like Green though, because he came out of college a proven and very athletic pass catcher. He has now developed into an 'elite' run blocker, but was pretty much ignored in Peyton Manning's wealth of receiving potentials. Never got the chance to really perform. I think we could add him to Niklas and Fells, and keep all three. (One of them might even develop into an occasional H-back type for those third downs where the opponent stacks the box), and still give us an escape receiver out of the backfield if the QB gets flushed. I think three like this is all we have to carry on the roster.

LB It was for his coverage ability and speed that I specifically selected Justin Durant. We sorely lacked D-Wash's cover skills on the TE's these past two year, and his speed could also help to spy on mobile QB's like Wilson and Kaepernik. I hope that something positive can still come of Washington, but I just don't have any faith that it will, I guess that this is just my way of surrendering to that end. Durant might be excellent for us at ILB in the 3/4.
I still don't have an answer for Minter so the draft is almost a definite.

Rush OLB-----I agree with Okafor like you do. He came on very well this year and shows a lot of upside yet. He has been good in this mix of defensive players and is a keeper in my mind. If we could get a solid run-stuffer in the middle, then on rare occasions, (when we run a 4 man front), we could pair Durant with Okafor at the edge. That might be fun to look at. I like your SILB selections, but just don't know where the money would come from.

More to come later:

I think that solid run stuffer in the middle has to be a vet, more of knowing how to call a defense and knowing where to get involved more than actually being the one making the final tackle... Minter seems to be neither, and someone similar to Foote fits the bill if a player like Washington is back there :)

OP
OP
Catfish

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
I think that solid run stuffer in the middle has to be a vet, more of knowing how to call a defense and knowing where to get involved more than actually being the one making the final tackle... Minter seems to be neither, and someone similar to Foote fits the bill if a player like Washington is back there :)

Agreed. I just don't know how much Foote has left in the tank. This season was very hard on all our serviceable LBrs. He may just call it quits.

OP
OP
Catfish

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score

- Frank Gore, SF
- Marshaun Lynch, Sea
- Mark Ingram, NO
- Darren McFadden, Oak
- Ahmad Bradshaw, Ind
- Roy Helu, Was

- Rashad Johnson
- Tyrann Mathieu
- Tony Jefferson

- Antonio Cromartie, AZ
- Byron Maxwell, Sea
- Darius Butler, Ind
- Charles Tillman, Chi
- Mike Jenkins, TB (meh)

Reference Forsett-----I became a big fan when I realized that he had a breakout year with 1300 yards for the regular season in a fill-in role for Rice. He was totally under the radar money wise, and I figured him to be a bargain at that point. Then he had two really big playoff games against the Steelers and then the Pats. His price went up hugely with that large TV audience. He was a lot like Williams, (who I really like too, and I felt we could have kept Forsett, Ellington, Williams, and Taylor on the roster and been pretty solid, especially with Forsett proving his durability. He won't be a bargain anymore I fear. Gotta like your big back selections, but would go for one of the cheaper ones. Actually, with this RB class coming out of college this year, I would try to draft a big durable, (between the tackles), back.

As for Defensive backs, I just don't see Cro staying here. He had a great year and got noticed big time. He can command a lot of money. I am not sure if he would be interested in another short contract just to play here, unless he believes we could get a SB shot in 2015. Even then, he might have already been taken in this FA class, before we get the rest of the roster lined out to where it would look enticing for him to stay.

I've enjoyed this exchange of ideas Muffin. I like to try to find possible matches that Keim might be considering, along with the way he keeps the price down. Its fun, and doesn't cost me anything. I am really looking forward to seeing him pretty much finish out our roster this year. He got a great start in years 1 and 2. I like how he tends to use free agency to set up the draft for us to do well there. I am really loving on this Front Office, the Coaching Staff and the Ownership. Looking to more fun times ahead.

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
I thought Forsett was the most dangerous RB on the Seahawks roster back when they traded for lynch, I remember he SHREDDED us in a game in 09 when he got a feature backs workload. Completely forgot about him until he got a chance to be the starter this year, cool to see a guy finally get a chance to breakout and take advantage of it. He should easily have a few more seasons left in him, has next to no mileage on his body for a 29yo RB.

OP
OP
Catfish

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
I thought Forsett was the most dangerous RB on the Seahawks roster back when they traded for lynch, I remember he SHREDDED us in a game in 09 when he got a feature backs workload. Completely forgot about him until he got a chance to be the starter this year, cool to see a guy finally get a chance to breakout and take advantage of it. He should easily have a few more seasons left in him, has next to no mileage on his body for a 29yo RB.

I wasn't aware of his history 187, I just really was excited about his break-out this year. I really like the way he runs. Too bad he will probably get a lot more money than we could pay now. Thanks for filling us in on him 187.

Funny how a guy can go for years with out catching a break, then all of a sudden really get with it. Kind of makes you wonder how a guy like Cooper would react if he had a coach who would "coach 'im hard-----hug 'im later" and give him some confidence. I have a feeling he was about to become a badass run-blocking guard when he got hurt. Now he can't seem to crack the lineup. He might be setting there just like Forsett did all those years, just waiting for a chance. I sure hope the switch comes on for him this year. Our QBs could use some help on the interior line.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I'm not interested in "run stuffing" ILBs, as that is a nice way to say athletically limited. I want athletic ILBs who can cover, and if they are stout against the run, even better.