A funny thing happened on the way to 4-9

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
TRW said:
I laugh every time I hear Josh mentioned as the "Quarterback of the future", "best chance for us to win", "has all the tools", etc., etc.
Cheese and I talked about this during halftime. The sad thing is, Josh IS the "best chance for us to win", and that is not a defense of Josh.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
40yearfan said:
Skkorp, I agree with you. I think a big part of Josh's problem this year is that the offensive coaches have tried to protect him and not really opened the game plan up. I've always been a big proponent of throwing them into the lake and letting them swim or drown.

When we got down by 25 points, the OC finally started to open the game up and make Josh throw passes. They abandoned the old run on first and second down and throw on third and long, and let Josh start flinging the ball. The other thing they did that was out of character is that the offense finally got a sense of urgency and actually starting running plays without getting into a 10 second huddle first. I believe Josh plays better under this type of pressure.

Hopefully, next week, we will see this sense of urgency during the whole game, score some points and pick up a win.

i don't get this. navarre seemed to throw downfield more. does that mean the coaching staff only had training wheels on mccown and not the first time starting rookie 7th round draft choice? explain this one to me.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
11 tds, 15 interceptions, 1 rushing TD, 8 fumbles lost - record as a starter 5-8 and the only QB who couldn't make THE play(at least ONCE) to beat the worst team in football two times this season - only in Cardinal land could this guy be seen as the QB of the future. :shrug:

put that guy in a movie not about the cardinals and every one of you says, that's the qb who's gonna be cut at the end of the season.

cdex99

Registered
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
They're 20th-ranked now, but it'll probably get worse. They're almost without doubt the least-talented secondary in the NFL. Worse than Green Bay's.

Again, scoring 18 points when your defense is playing lights-out and you're down by 25 is good. Throwing TD passes is more impressive. Getting your team the win as the clock runs down in regulation or overtime is better.

When the game became close, Josh McCown went from Garbage Time Pro Bowler to Can't Make Plays When It Counts. At least Jake Plummer won some of those games for us. But don't take my word for it:

1.5 defense-adjusted points above replacement.
Let's not forget that it was the defense that gave us the garbage time. This defense has been on a tremendous decline for several weeks now. How do you let a second string running back look like an all pro. How do you let a second string quarterback score three TD's and ZERO picks? They did this the last time we played.

Honestly, the passing game looked a lot more opened up. Boldin reminded us why we all fell in love with him last year. Bryant Johnson continues to improve. If Josh continues his play like the second half yesterday, then he'll be here next year. I also think that if there is an expirienced QB out there or rookie draft pick, they'll be here to challenge Josh for the starting position. I don't think there will be a clear cut starter named until training camp.

On the positive I thought Dansby played Eric Johnson extremely well.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Ouchie-Z-Clown said:
put that guy in a movie not about the cardinals and every one of you says, that's the qb who's gonna be cut at the end of the season.

That's about what Jeff Blake did last year with an equally weak running game, worse WRs, and a WR coach dressing up as an offensive coordinator and there was not a single person in here or around the media that wanted to keep him around.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
*sigh* and the obsession with one position continues...

I really want to know what the hell team everybody is watching that thinks that this team is one player away from doing anything. We have no running game, Our Wrs had trouble getting open against one of the worst secondaries in football, and not to mention a whole other mess of problems.

Josh McCown did well given the circumstances. Does that mean he gets a free pass to be called savior of this football team? No. Does that mean he gets another week to prove if this week was a fluke or not? Absolutely it should.

I keep seeing conversations on here that make it seem that we are the ONLY team in the NFL without a franchise QB (those that have earned the title not those that had it given to them). If you truly believe that you don't watch many NFL games besides Cardinals games. The overwhelming majority of the QBs in the league are mediocre or worse (I'm sorry I had to bring reality to this conversation but someone had to do it).

My goals for the offseason would be to get a FA QB to add to the mix with McCown and Navarre. We need an experienced QB to have on this team that could lead this team (if McCown steals the job away from him than so be it).

WE HAVE FAR TOO MANY NEEDS TO TRY AND GET 2 QBS IN THE OFFSEASON!!!

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Evil Ash said:

I really want to know what the hell team everybody is watching that thinks that this team is one player away from doing anything. We have no running game, Our Wrs had trouble getting open against one of the worst secondaries in football, and not to mention a whole other mess of problems.

Josh McCown did well given the circumstances. Does that mean he gets a free pass to be called savior of this football team? No. Does that mean he gets another week to prove if this week was a fluke or not? Absolutely it should.

I keep seeing conversations on here that make it seem that we are the ONLY team in the NFL without a franchise QB (those that have earned the title not those that had it given to them). If you truly believe that you don't watch many NFL games besides Cardinals games. The overwhelming majority of the QBs in the league are mediocre or worse (I'm sorry I had to bring reality to this conversation but someone had to do it).

My goals for the offseason would be to get a FA QB to add to the mix with McCown and Navarre. We need an experienced QB to have on this team that could lead this team (if McCown steals the job away from him than so be it).

WE HAVE FAR TOO MANY NEEDS TO TRY AND GET 2 QBS IN THE OFFSEASON!!!
I agree with you. :thumbup:
The funny thing is the quickest way to start an arguement is to mention religion, politics and QB play.

The Qb play was not the problem yesterday, but of course by me saying that I must think Josh is the saviour ... :(

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
I'm not going to even dignify some of these responses with the effort it takes to rebut them.

I might as well be arguing for abortion rights to a gathering of NUNS.

SIGH is all I need to say.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
conraddobler said:
I'm not going to even dignify some of these responses with the effort it takes to rebut them.

In other words, you got nuthin.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
Skkorp - I think the above post is complete nonsense and you're talking now like you were back in last year's pre-season. Let Josh play that well against ANY OTHER TEAM than Frisco and maybe - just maybe - you have a case. Or better yet - If JOsh even leads us back to a WIN - maybe you have a case, but you are sounding an awful lot like "This year's team can either be very bad . . . or very good." We all know how that went.

Brilliance? Brilliance beats the 49ers - Good for the entire game - BEATS the 49ers - very good for one and half quarters doesn't.

You are entitled to your opinion, but I think it's unbelievably pre-mature to say that a QB who has only looked good in two games (both against the worst team in the NFL - and both losses where ultimately he couldn't make THE play to somehow lift this team up) is now suddenly the future.

I know you want to believe - we all do - but I just can't go there.

This team cannot afford to enter anothr season with a QB who "may" make a nfl starting QB. Granted we may not be able to find one in FA but McCown will be in his 3rd year and the time has passed for him to sink or swim. He has three games left. He had better show one heck of a lot of real performance or else the coach and mangement will look like complete fools if they do no go out and find the best QB available. Keep him if we can but no way he goes into training camp with the position locked up. We had best find someone with some proven experience to get us out of this funk. We have been looking for the QB of the future for a decade now and it seems to take this team much to long to figure out if the QB they have is even a starting QB much less the QB of he future. When you are 4-9 something has to be wrong with the QB. Our record is what it is because of the Coach,QB, and no running game. Something has to happen. I would think the Bidwills and Graves are very disappointed along with a lot of fans.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
D-Dogg said:
In other words, you got nuthin.

No I don't feel it's productive to argue an issue that has been hacked to death.

We can go over this again if you don't understand.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
Evil Ash said:

OMG! The voice of reason! :thumbup:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
cdex99 said:
Let's not forget that it was the defense that gave us the garbage time. This defense has been on a tremendous decline for several weeks now. How do you let a second string running back look like an all pro. How do you let a second string quarterback score three TD's and ZERO picks? They did this the last time we played.

Really? As far as I could tell, it wasn't the defense going three and out over and over for the first two and a half quarters. And it wasn't the defense that failed to nut it up when it counted in overtime (didn't Josh get his chance to be The Man? The three and out from the five didn't help matters much). Did the defense give up too much? Yeah. Were they probably exhausted in second possession in overtime when they already had their backs against the wall? Yeah. Was that all their fault? No.

Josh played his "game management" game against the 49ers until there were 10 minutes left in the third quarter, and started leading a comeback when the game was a laugher. I know, because that's when I started my column. He just looked okay for the first two and a third quarters, but "okay" isn't going to get the job done when your backs are averaging 2.5 YPC. That's when it becomes your game, and Josh wasn't able to move the chains while the game was competitive. You can't put the game in the hands of your kicker at home.

Ash is right that the only problem isn't McCown. This game is totally different if we had an actual runningback (in fact, we could draft Cedric Benson and sign Kevan Barlow and just have this mess taken care of by June 2). But Skkorp started this thread saying that somewhere along the line we found our QB. What a joke that is. The offensive line was good in pass protection, and McCown, in junk time, still wasn't able to reach the benchmarks that starting QBs all around the league have set against the worst secondary in the NFL.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
john h said:
This team cannot afford to enter anothr season with a QB who "may" make a nfl starting QB. Granted we may not be able to find one in FA but McCown will be in his 3rd year and the time has passed for him to sink or swim. He has three games left. He had better show one heck of a lot of real performance or else the coach and mangement will look like complete fools if they do no go out and find the best QB available. Keep him if we can but no way he goes into training camp with the position locked up. We had best find someone with some proven experience to get us out of this funk. We have been looking for the QB of the future for a decade now and it seems to take this team much to long to figure out if the QB they have is even a starting QB much less the QB of he future. When you are 4-9 something has to be wrong with the QB. Our record is what it is because of the Coach,QB, and no running game. Something has to happen. I would think the Bidwills and Graves are very disappointed along with a lot of fans.

There are no saving Josh scenarios left.

He's gone and just be happy about that. Denny is not going to all of a sudden fall in love with the guy he only did that to get Fitzgerald.

The fact is that Graves dosen't like him and Denny dosen't either so why are people so God awful afraid of him that he has to be dragged burning through town to make sure he isn't our starter.

He's not going to be on the team so why is everyone so afraid he will be?

I'd be shocked if he returns in any capacity next year... SHOCKED.

I think this is a waste of effort. I like Josh but he's done here.

cdex99

Registered
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
Really? As far as I could tell, it wasn't the defense going three and out over and over for the first two and a half quarters. And it wasn't the defense that failed to nut it up when it counted in overtime (didn't Josh get his chance to be The Man? The three and out from the five didn't help matters much). Did the defense give up too much? Yeah. Were they probably exhausted in second possession in overtime when they already had their backs against the wall? Yeah. Was that all their fault? No.
Never once said it was all their fault. But they did give up 28 points in the first half. I'm sure they were tired in OT, but 3 and 17 just after a huge sack and the D lets them get the first down? C'mon. We've played this team twice and both times they were able to score their season high. I'm just saying that Josh isn't entirly at fault for this one. It should be the offense as a whole if you're going to place blame.

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
Skkorpion said:
The Cardinals found a quarterback who can play. The funny thing is, only the reporters and half the fans believe it.

The coach isn't sold on him. Half the fans aren't sold on him. But I am. Josh McCown can play. He's a tough guy with some learning to go but he is showing improvement to go with his considerable physical skills.

The season ended when he was benched. The team was shaken by it and hasn't recovered. A decent defense went in the tank. A coach I like, Denny Green, lost his team the day he benched McCown. And yesterday, McCown's second half brilliance almost gave Denny back his team. But it didn't happen because the Cardinals again couldn't stop the 49ers in overtime. End result: season over.

So some team found a quarterback yesterday but it might not be the Cardinals. Josh McCown will play somewhere next year, somewhere he is appreciated, but that may not be here. Denny Green admitted this morning in his news conference that he worries all the time about losing his team when losing sets in. Well. losing has set in.

If I am right about McCown, the offense will play well over the last three games and that may translate into better defensive play. If not, the team will get blown out three times and McCown will be out of football next year.
I'm betting on Josh McCown. He's got what it takes. I'm just afraid it will take him somewhere else next year.

Remember, he's restricted, AZ would be dumb not to tender him. Josh was a slow starter in the NFL. I have wondered more than a few times if he was just a little slow picking up Denny's system.

Well, here's his shot. He's got some games, he's been brought down to earth. Just play like he did at the end of last year, keep him around to develope next year and let's see what happens

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
But Skkorp started this thread saying that somewhere along the line we found our QB. What a joke that is. The offensive line was good in pass protection, and McCown, in junk time, still wasn't able to reach the benchmarks that starting QBs all around the league have set against the worst secondary in the NFL.

This is why you have these reactions. It isn't like we (those who don't drink McCoolaid) don't realize there are problems across this team. However, its the people who really, really, really like Josh (The Lovetunnelers) who constantly talk about how great he is, how he's the QB of the future, how he's got it all together, how he's really showed us something, blah blah blah, that cause these reactions.

I overreact to the Josh Love, I admit. He's probably not as sucky as I claim, though that still makes him really bad. But the instant McCown lovefest that happens when he plays is disgusting, and insulting. It's ok to say the guy didn't fall on his face, and has a lot of heart. But to take that a step further and say he's the savior when he's yet to jump down off the cross and win us anything important is ridiculous.

Josh hasn't shown us anything, other than giving us a target to throw tomatoes at while the defense and offensive line sneak off out the back door. If people stopped propping up Josh, we might be able to identify the real problems and spend less time arguing about a guy that most likely WON'T be on the team next season.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
D-Dogg said:
This is why you have these reactions. It isn't like we (those who don't drink McCoolaid) don't realize there are problems across this team. However, its the people who really, really, really like Josh (The Lovetunnelers) who constantly talk about how great he is, how he's the QB of the future, how he's got it all together, how he's really showed us something, blah blah blah, that cause these reactions.

I overreact to the Josh Love, I admit. He's probably not as sucky as I claim, though that still makes him really bad. But the instant McCown lovefest that happens when he plays is disgusting, and insulting. It's ok to say the guy didn't fall on his face, and has a lot of heart. But to take that a step further and say he's the savior when he's yet to jump down off the cross and win us anything important is ridiculous.

Josh hasn't shown us anything, other than giving us a target to throw tomatoes at while the defense and offensive line sneak off out the back door. If people stopped propping up Josh, we might be able to identify the real problems and spend less time arguing about a guy that most likely WON'T be on the team next season.

That's about the most idiotic mistatement and skewing of peoples statements to date.

The love tunnel thing is cute and must mask some latent homosexuality issues you should really discuss with a qualified professional.

No one claimed he was the savior except our intrepid coach DG. He then benched the guy and promptly got his ass handed to him three games in a row.

I have no problem with him benching the guy for poor performance and it may have helped him develop but then again if Navarre dosen't get hurt I doubt we'd ever have seen Josh again.

I hope we find a good QB that is above reproach so that everyone can see that we still suck as a team and the QB issue can go away and idiots like you can find something else to blather on about.

If I get banned for this I consider it an honor and will enjoy not looking at dumb crap like this for a while.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
conraddobler said:
That's about the most idiotic mistatement and skewing of peoples statements to date.

The love tunnel thing is cute and must mask some latent homosexuality issues you should really discuss with a qualified professional.

No one claimed he was the savior except our intrepid coach DG. He then benched the guy and promptly got his ass handed to him three games in a row.

I have no problem with him benching the guy for poor performance and it may have helped him develop but then again if Navarre dosen't get hurt I doubt we'd ever have seen Josh again.

I hope we find a good QB that is above reproach so that everyone can see that we still suck as a team and the QB issue can go away and idiots like you can find something else to blather on about.

If I get banned for this I consider it an honor and will enjoy not looking at dumb crap like this for a while.

sheesh - are you Josh McCown? or should we just dub you That_Guy - the sequel.

I don't understand why you get so mad at this stuff Conrad - good lord. Calling people idiots - claiming they are homosexuals and need to get professional help - did Tango get a hold of your password or something?

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
sheesh - are you Josh McCown? or should we just dub you That_Guy - the sequel.

I don't understand why you get so mad at this stuff Conrad - good lord. Calling people idiots - claiming they are homosexuals and need to get professional help - did Tango get a hold of your password or something?

No I wrote it and I like it.

Any other questions?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
conraddobler said:
No I wrote it and I like it.

Any other questions?

no - but here's a suggestion - get NBA Ticket and watch the Phoenix Suns - THEY ARE THE BEST TEAM IN ALL OF SPORTS RIGHT NOW! Even if you're not from Phoenix - man do they take the edge off!!!!!!!

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
no - but here's a suggestion - get NBA Ticket and watch the Phoenix Suns - THEY ARE THE BEST TEAM IN ALL OF SPORTS RIGHT NOW! Even if you're not from Phoenix - man do they take the edge off!!!!!!!

I don't watch the NBA even in a NHL strike season.

You want futility become a St. Louis Blues fan.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
conraddobler said:
I don't watch the NBA even in a NHL strike season.

You want futility become a St. Louis Blues fan.

duuuuude!!!!!!! You don't know what you're missing! Did you watch NBA in the 80's - you know with Showtime and the Celts and Sixers - back when basketball was actually basketball? Cause that's how the Suns play - out of this world!

Just to make sure we're not too far off topic - Josh sucks.:D

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
This is ********. Some of you guys should go hang out with 49ers, Raiders or Cowboy fans since you like to insult Cards fans so much. Like it or not, Josh is going to start the rest of the season. He's the best QB that can play right now, and that sucks. Good QBs don't throw the ball into double coverage and five yards over the receivers heads in the first half, then play well in the second half. Really crappy QBs never play well. He's neither. You guys are fighting the wind.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05