A funny thing happened on the way to 4-9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
D-Dogg said:
Josh hasn't shown us anything, other than giving us a target to throw tomatoes at while the defense and offensive line sneak off out the back door. If people stopped propping up Josh, we might be able to identify the real problems and spend less time arguing about a guy that most likely WON'T be on the team next season.

:thumbup:

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
11 tds, 15 interceptions, 1 rushing TD, 8 fumbles lost - record as a starter 5-8 and the only QB who couldn't make THE play(at least ONCE) to beat the worst team in football two times this season - only in Cardinal land could this guy be seen as the QB of the future. :shrug:

Terry Bradshaw had 6 tds and 24 interceptions in his first full year of play... and nobody in the "cheap seats" wanted him. He was. according to them - the "dumbest SOB who ever placed hands on a centre's butt".

Holding off judgment on Josh's career might serve you and others well.

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Crazy Canuck said:
Terry Bradshaw had 6 tds and 24 interceptions in his first full year of play... and nobody in the "cheap seats" wanted him. He was. according to them - the "dumbest SOB who ever placed hands on a centre's butt".

Bradshaw is the poster child of being lucky to have talent at every position around him. There are 2 ways to win a superbowl

Servicable QB with great defense and offensive talent

Or Superstar QB with above average to average talent around him.

Unfortunately for you Crazy Josh is neither a superstar nor Servicable. :shrug:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Crazy Canuck said:

This is the dumbest argument, ever. Ryan Leaf had 2 TDs and 18 INTs his first season as a starter. Look how that ended up. The difference is that both were high first-round picks who were starting in their rookie seasons. Josh McCown is a thrird-year player with a lot of game time behind him. And he's not getting any better. Josh plays all right against bad teams, and poorly against good ones.

Maybe he can be a successful long-term backup for some team. Maybe he can resucitate (sp) his career in NFL Europe, or something. But how long ought we to stick with this guy, when the stadium opening (read: deadline for respectabiltiy) is just two years away? If we have to wait that long and McCown doesn't pan out, it will set this team back even further.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Crazy Canuck said:

Could happen. Especially if Step turns into Mike Webster,Dockett to Joe Greene (the player not the coach), Dansby to Jack Ham, Hayes into Jack Lambert, and they draft or get as free agents Franco Harris and Mel Blount.

They already have their Swann and Stallworth.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
swd1974 said:
Bradshaw is the poster child of being lucky to have talent at every position around him. There are 2 ways to win a superbowl

Servicable QB with great defense and offensive talent

Or Superstar QB with above average to average talent around him.

Unfortunately for you Crazy Josh is neither a superstar nor Servicable. :shrug:

Unfortunately for me :confused:

All I have said is that it's a bit early to judge how well Josh will adapt to the requirements of being a QB in the NFL...

and you, with all of the certainty of one who can see the future... feels comfortable making final judgment at this point. :shrug:

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
This is the dumbest argument, ever. Ryan Leaf had 2 TDs and 18 INTs his first season as a starter. Look how that ended up. The difference is that both were high first-round picks who were starting in their rookie seasons. Josh McCown is a thrird-year player with a lot of game time behind him. And he's not getting any better. Josh plays all right against bad teams, and poorly against good ones.

Maybe he can be a successful long-term backup for some team. Maybe he can resucitate (sp) his career in NFL Europe, or something. But how long ought we to stick with this guy, when the stadium opening (read: deadline for respectabiltiy) is just two years away? If we have to wait that long and McCown doesn't pan out, it will set this team back even further.

The Leaf example... only reinforces my point about it being difficult to tell how things will turn out in a career ... and so, one should reserve judgment. As for this "apples and oranges" comparison between the value of draft position and holding a clip board... well, if not "dumb" it's certainly the product of a second rate mind. :D

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Skkorpion said:
The Cardinals found a quarterback who can play. The funny thing is, only the reporters and half the fans believe it.

The coach isn't sold on him. Half the fans aren't sold on him. But I am. Josh McCown can play. He's a tough guy with some learning to go but he is showing improvement to go with his considerable physical skills.

The season ended when he was benched. The team was shaken by it and hasn't recovered. A decent defense went in the tank. A coach I like, Denny Green, lost his team the day he benched McCown. And yesterday, McCown's second half brilliance almost gave Denny back his team. But it didn't happen because the Cardinals again couldn't stop the 49ers in overtime. End result: season over.

So some team found a quarterback yesterday but it might not be the Cardinals. Josh McCown will play somewhere next year, somewhere he is appreciated, but that may not be here. Denny Green admitted this morning in his news conference that he worries all the time about losing his team when losing sets in. Well. losing has set in.

If I am right about McCown, the offense will play well over the last three games and that may translate into better defensive play. If not, the team will get blown out three times and McCown will be out of football next year.
I'm betting on Josh McCown. He's got what it takes. I'm just afraid it will take him somewhere else next year.

Good post Skkorp - Yea I agree, Green toyed with the product too much to put his own personal stamp on it - and it backfired - from letting go the likes of Blake (who wasn't the long term answer) for King (guess what - Boldin was pressing for him anyway) , Kendall and D. Jackson.

It hurt the team this year. Maybe with more plyers through FA and another good draft, we'll be OK.

But know this - He's no offensive genius like he touted. He's just like any HC who needs BIG TALENT to make the team go. At least he's ADMITTING FAULT NOW. That he's alot to blame for this mess. This year. Which he is.

On the McCown thing - Green has said all year he thinks he'll be good. Although his actions spoke differently. Josh is not a starter in this league IMO. And while the Cards are out of it - will not be a true indicator of whether he is. Although he'll show improvement IMO.

Last edited:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Crazy Canuck said:
The Leaf example... only reinforces my point about it being difficult to tell how things will turn out in a career ... and so, one should reserve judgment. As for this "apples and oranges" comparison between the value of draft position and holding a clip board... well, if not "dumb" it's certainly the product of a second rate mind. :D

Huh? Maybe we should just start every player until they retire, since you never know when or if they're going to turn into a real NFL player. Is that what you're arguing? What are you saying?

Nice to resort to name calling. If you don't think that there's a correlation between draft position and eventual NFL success, you haven't been following the NFL for very long. There's a reason that everyone in the NFL passed on Josh McCown multiple times, and that no one--at all-- passed on Terry Bradshaw. But whatever. If you can't get that at this point, I can't explain it to you.

chickenhead

Reaction score
If only we could start everyone... It's a question of the odds both during and after the draft. Given what we've seen, what are the odds that McCown will be taking us to the playoffs in the next few years? Compare that with the alternatives...we'll just have to wait to see who the team is actively considering.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Crazy Canuck said:

Terry was the number one overall draft pick. Josh was a third rounder.

There's a reason for that....

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
chickenhead said:
If only we could start everyone... It's a question of the odds both during and after the draft. Given what we've seen, what are the odds that McCown will be taking us to the playoffs in the next few years? Compare that with the alternatives...we'll just have to wait to see who the team is actively considering.

Goes without saying - this team will definately have a new QB and RB next year regardless what happens now. FO SURE.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
Huh? Maybe we should just start every player until they retire, since you never know when or if they're going to turn into a real NFL player. Is that what you're arguing? What are you saying?

Nice to resort to name calling. If you don't think that there's a correlation between draft position and eventual NFL success, you haven't been following the NFL for very long. There's a reason that everyone in the NFL passed on Josh McCown multiple times, and that no one--at all-- passed on Terry Bradshaw. But whatever. If you can't get that at this point, I can't explain it to you.

"Name Calling"...

Given a choice between "dumb" - "dumber" and "dumbest" - you qualify my simple suggestion that it's difficult to make definitive judgments on less than a full year of starts as "dumbest".

I'll leave you to chose between "slightly exaggerated" - "exaggerated" and "grossly exaggerated" to describe your interjection.

How long a young QB gets to prove himself is a judgement call to be made by the professional, and, I'll trust their acumen over someone who plants his butt in front of a TV and lays claim to expertise by virtue... :wave:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Crazy Canuck said:
"Name Calling"...

Given a choice between "dumb" - "dumber" and "dumbest" - you qualify my simple suggestion that it's difficult to make definitive judgments on less than a full year of starts as "dumbest".

I'll leave you to chose between "slightly exaggerated" - "exaggerated" and "grossly exaggerated" to describe your interjection.

How long a young QB gets to prove himself is a judgement call to be made by the professional, and, I'll trust their acumen over someone who plants his butt in front of a TV and lays claim to expertise by virtue... :wave:

Looks like Tango has taken up a new handle. If you've been paying attention, Canuck, you'll notice tht the "professionals" have already made their judgement on the career of Josh McCown. Were John Navarre healthy, Mr. McCown would not be starting.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
D-Dogg said:
Terry was the number one overall draft pick. Josh was a third rounder.

There's a reason for that....

Yeah... and the PATS have collected the silver ware with a guy drafted in the 6th round...

So, what's the reasoning behind that?

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
Looks like Tango has taken up a new handle. If you've been paying attention, Canuck, you'll notice tht the "professionals" have already made their judgement on the career of Josh McCown. Were John Navarre healthy, Mr. McCown would not be starting.

I'm not Tango... but if he thinks that someone who describes himself as "a living legend" has delusions of adequacy... I'd tend to agree with him for one of the few times...

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Crazy Canuck said:
Yeah... and the PATS have collected the silver ware with a guy drafted in the 6th round...

So, what's the reasoning behind that?

Maybe because he came right in and won games. :shrug:

Tom Brady would be stocking shelves somewhere if he had come in and played the Pats out of the playoffs that year, and Bledsoe would probably still be in NE.

This has to do with Josh exactly how, other than being the polar opposite?

SeattleCard

Back in Arizona!!!
Reaction score
Skkorp, I agree with you. I think McCown has a future, hopefully with the Cards.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It still amazes me that all these prognosticators seem to already know that Josh will not be a starter in this league. Anytime you debate that, you are labeled as a Josh lover or a koolaider.

Funny, since it is a fact that this is Josh's 3rd year in the league.

It is also a fact that this is his first year starting.

It is also a fact that he has started 13 games, which is the equivalent of less than a full season.

It is also a fact that he has started 10 games in this system that DG has implemented.

What is not a fact, but widely agreed upon at this point is that the previous coaching staff was suspect at best. So why would anyone that thinks that would expect anything spectacular out of the qb from that regime is beyond me. He is a young QB that is argueably a rookie at the position based on the # of games played and based on the previous lack of coaching.

I don't know if he will ever improve to the point that we all would hope. I do know that he has done some things that given his cheap price, his young age and given that there are so many holes in the entire team that he will almost certainly be given the chance to return.

How he progresses over these last couple of games will matter. Why? Because even though the cards are out of the playoffs, the teams that they play will sure as hell be fighting to get in.

Cats

Rookie
Reaction score
This says it all!

You must be registered for see images

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cats said:
This says it all!

Awesome pic :thumbup:

I do like the guy personally and wish with all my might that he has the skills you need to be born with. I dont see it. But I wish I did.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the guy too, just not as our QB. I actually think he's got the intangibles of heart and desire. That can't be denied. However, he doesn't have some very fundamental things that he should have. Accuracy especially.

When I say he might get Quan or Fitz killed, I'm not joking...those high balls are very dangerous and the vast majority of Josh's throws are high.

I wish the guy the best, he's nice and a good guy.

But I don't want a team of nice, good guys. I want a team of talented guys.

Coach Mac was a nice, good guy too. He was also a horrible coach. :shrug:

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
clif said:
It still amazes me that all these prognosticators seem to already know that Josh will not be a starter in this league. Anytime you debate that, you are labeled as a Josh lover or a koolaider.

Funny, since it is a fact that this is Josh's 3rd year in the league.

It is also a fact that this is his first year starting.

It is also a fact that he has started 13 games, which is the equivalent of less than a full season.

It is also a fact that he has started 10 games in this system that DG has implemented.

What is not a fact, but widely agreed upon at this point is that the previous coaching staff was suspect at best. So why would anyone that thinks that would expect anything spectacular out of the qb from that regime is beyond me. He is a young QB that is argueably a rookie at the position based on the # of games played and based on the previous lack of coaching.

I don't know if he will ever improve to the point that we all would hope. I do know that he has done some things that given his cheap price, his young age and given that there are so many holes in the entire team that he will almost certainly be given the chance to return.

How he progresses over these last couple of games will matter. Why? Because even though the cards are out of the playoffs, the teams that they play will sure as hell be fighting to get in.

:thumbup:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cats said:
This says it all!

that is a great pic - until you look in the back and realize that there a player from a team that is 1-11 standing behind him and we are so pumped up because we put ourselves into a 25 point hole against the worst team in football. That picture would also be a hell of a lot better if it came after maybe we scored the winning TD against the worst team in football. Alas we didn't - we lost to the worst team in professional football because our D and Offense both were horrendous for 2 and half quarters.

Also - if that game had been played against anyone with a .500 record or even a couple games below - Josh may have shown something - but the fact that it was against the worst team in football and we still couldn't get over the hump to beat them - means NOTHING.

Very interested to see how Josh plays against the Lambs this weekend now that the pressure's completely off. I actually bet he plays quite well and will look like "Chad Pennington"(that one's for youy Tango. ;) ) standing on the sidelines holding a clip-board for someone else next season.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05