A guy whose name i haven't seen mentioned

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
[QUOTEIf they conclude that Cardinals ownership wouldn't let Green hire high-priced assistants, or spend enough in free agency to fill the remaining gaps in personnel, or failed to support him in other significant ways, the top prospects will keep walking.
][/QUOTE]

it has been pretty well documented whatever green wants he gets. he was in charge of hiring his own staff. granted the bidwills are not just go out spend a lot of money. they wanted to mold themselves out of the patriots and eagles organzations who are always under the salary cap and don't pay their assistants very much. people want to criticize the play calling. the play calling hasn't been that bad. the players havn't been exicuting the plays. trust me head coaches have ego's just as big as players do. most of these coaches have been former players. they are going to say they can turn this franchise around with the players the cardinals have. it is all about ego and being the best.

to answer bigredark:

he probally wouldn't with what you said. i am still wishing the cardinals would have went after charlie weis. since norte dame is weis's dream job then he will probally retire there. then again you never know what will bring a coach to a team. maybe a falling out if the weis doesn't get the fighting irish to a championship game. that is what ND is all about. that could be a reason.

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
We don't need a new head coach. The only weakness in the coaching staff is the OC. There is no reason to bring in a new head coach and a new coaching staff. Our major weakness is the OL. Lets focus on improving the OL and the other "problems" will go away.

i agree that the playcalling as something to be desire. the offensive line has been horrible. it is pathecic that james hasn't rushed for a hundred yards yet. with the amount of carries he is getting he should have been over the 100 yard mark at least 3 times already. that line needs to get some attitude and a mean streak. they don't have that.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would love to have Marty as the head coach of the Cards.

I would HATE Marty as the head coach of the Cards.

Martyball sucks.

Why in the would would you take a running minded coach for a team with the best WRs in the league and an up and coming superstar QB?

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I would HATE Marty as the head coach of the Cards.

Martyball sucks.

Why in the would would you take a running minded coach for a team with the best WRs in the league and an up and coming superstar QB?
Because we can't run the ball and it costs us most games. ;)

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because we can't run the ball and it costs us most games. ;)

Under Marty we'd never pass the ball. Fitz and Boldin would catch 90 balls between them total, and would leave town as soon as they could.

How about we get someone who understands both the run AND the pass. Marty only gets half that equation. And unless we built an Oline under Marty, we'd have a team that still couldn't run, and additionally they couldn't pass either.

I'd rather have 5 more years of Denny than any year of Martyball.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Martzyball...no thanks.

But I just realized I have a pretty deep dislike for Marty...I hate him as much as some of you hate Denny.

Wild Card

Surfin' Bird
Reaction score
Under Marty we'd never pass the ball. Fitz and Boldin would catch 90 balls between them total, and would leave town as soon as they could.

How about we get someone who understands both the run AND the pass. Marty only gets half that equation. And unless we built an Oline under Marty, we'd have a team that still couldn't run, and additionally they couldn't pass either.

D-D:

That's awfully simplistic, dontcha think?

Named NFL Coach of the Year for 2004, Schottenheimer has led his teams to the playoffs 12 times, more than any other active NFL coach. Only Don Shula (19) and Tom Landry (18) have led their teams to more playoff appearances. His regular-season record is pretty impressive, too:

1984-88 Cleveland Browns 44-27 .620
1989-98 Kansas City Chiefs 101-58-1 .634
2001 Washington Redskins 8-8 .500
2002- San Diego Chargers 36-32 .529

Current NFL coaches who got their first coaching job with Schottenheimer include Bill Cowher, Gunther Cunningham, Tony Dungy and Herman Edwards. Not a bad track record in selecting assistant coaches, eh?

And the idea that Schottenheimer can't direct an offense that both runs and passes effectively--given the necessary players--is absurd. Maybe you missed Drew Brees being named to the Pro Bowl for the 2004 season, during which he completed 262-400 for 3,159 yards and 27 TDs in leading the Chargers to a 12-4 record. (Not unlike the stats put up by Bernie Kosar with the Browns in the 1987 season--241-389-3,033, 22 TDs--when he was named to the Pro Bowl.)

Sorry for going off like this, but I think it's ridiculous for any Cardinals fan to turn up his/her nose at the prospect of Marty Schottenheimer signing up to coach the Cards. We should be so lucky.

WC

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

I'd rather have 5 more years of Denny than any year of Martyball.
You are just crabby cuz you are caught with your pants down. It's ok....you aren't the only one that was fooled into thinking DG was anything more than a glorified talent scout...and he can't even do that. His drafts suck....minus FITZ/Leinart and Pope.

BigRedArk

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
You are just crabby cuz you are caught with your pants down. It's ok....you aren't the only one that was fooled into thinking DG was anything more than a glorified talent scout...and he can't even do that. His drafts suck....minus FITZ/Leinart and Pope.

Pope? He hasn't done much yet has he? Dansby has done more than Pope.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
D-D:

That's awfully simplistic, dontcha think?

Named NFL Coach of the Year for 2004, Schottenheimer has led his teams to the playoffs 12 times, more than any other active NFL coach. Only Don Shula (19) and Tom Landry (18) have led their teams to more playoff appearances. His regular-season record is pretty impressive, too:

1984-88 Cleveland Browns 44-27 .620
1989-98 Kansas City Chiefs 101-58-1 .634
2001 Washington Redskins 8-8 .500
2002- San Diego Chargers 36-32 .529

Current NFL coaches who got their first coaching job with Schottenheimer include Bill Cowher, Gunther Cunningham, Tony Dungy and Herman Edwards. Not a bad track record in selecting assistant coaches, eh?

And the idea that Schottenheimer can't direct an offense that both runs and passes effectively--given the necessary players--is absurd. Maybe you missed Drew Brees being named to the Pro Bowl for the 2004 season, during which he completed 262-400 for 3,159 yards and 27 TDs in leading the Chargers to a 12-4 record. (Not unlike the stats put up by Bernie Kosar with the Browns in the 1987 season--241-389-3,033, 22 TDs--when he was named to the Pro Bowl.)

Sorry for going off like this, but I think it's ridiculous for any Cardinals fan to turn up his/her nose at the prospect of Marty Schottenheimer signing up to coach the Cards. We should be so lucky.

WC

5-12 career playoff record, hasn't won a playoff game since 1993...which BTW is a longer playoff win drought than Dennis Green (Green's playoff record is 4-8--a slightly better winning %).

In the last 6 years Marty has had 2 winning seasons, assuming he breaks .500 this year that'll be 3 in 7. Better than the Cards but that'll be the exact same number of winning winning seasons as Green had in his last 7.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
5-12 career playoff record, hasn't won a playoff game since 1993...which BTW is a longer playoff win drought than Dennis Green (Green's playoff record is 4-8--a slightly better winning %).

In the last 6 years Marty has had 2 winning seasons, assuming he breaks .500 this year that'll be 3 in 7. Better than the Cards but that'll be the exact same number of winning winning seasons as Green had in his last 7.

Marty will also be be 3 of his last 4 while Green will be 0 for his last 4 - the game has passed Denny by - at least Marty's teams are still competitive.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Marty will also be be 3 of his last 4 while Green will be 0 for his last 4 - the game has passed Denny by - at least Marty's teams are still competitive.

I'm not defending Green but I think going to Marty is a lateral move or at least not enough of a improvement to justify it.

We need to go the direction that teams like the Bears and Panthers have done and get a good coordinator off a winning team. No more re-treads.

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
i don't care what anyone says. schottenheimer is a winner. the chargers just throttled the 49ers. they did it by a balance attack. that is something the cardinals dont' have. they threw the ball a lot. tomlinson punched it in from the goaline 4 times yesterday. that is something the cardinals havnt been able to do. i seen O'neal convert on 3 straight 3rd and short situations. something that the cardinals can't do right now. for some reason schottenheimer can get his players to exicute plays. schottenheimer is a damn good coach. with this all said, it looks like schottenheimier is going to be staying in san diego, if the chargers keep on winning like they are.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05