A painful memory: Pack and Saints offered entire draft for Wadsworth.

MastersofCombat

Basketball Junkie
Reaction score
Fred Taylor = Not a bust instead he has busted his ass to be a good player.
that was stupid to put him in there. We havent had a RB with a year that FT had since the Cardinals have been here.
he is still lethal mind you and I would start him over any of our current RBs.(I do like Marcell but no one in Card org is enamaroed with him.)

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It gets even worse after round 1. Look at drafts from the recent years drafting is tough. If you take a guy who is a good solid starter you did well. If you get an all-pro you did well.

Nice of you guys to come clean on leaf just about everyone know claims they didn't like Leaf. Mandrich was a bust as an OT. There were plenty of pros who had Leaf and Mandrich rated high. Just look at that list. Drafting is hard work and it gets harder by each round that is why drafting down for picks is very dangerous! Your odds of hitting decrease as you move lower.

As for that year's draft look at the guy draft at #21. That says a lot don't it!

Savage58

Defense, Defense, DEFENSE
Reaction score
Oran said:
1998 first round busts:

Wadsworth
Leaf
Enis
Fred Taylor
Tra Thomas
Jason Peter
Robert Edwards
Terry Fair
John Avery
Marcus Nash
Leon Bender
and a lot more never lived up to their billing potential.

Why is Tra Thomas and Fred Taylor on this list? Tra Thomas is one of the best tackles in football. Taylor was injured for 2 years, and has been injury for the last 2, he's a stud, and a game breaker.

Terry Fair wasn't that bad either, plays a decent CB and was a decent return man for a few years. I gotta play my man up, as I got to play him in HS when he was at South Mountain. :thumbup:

Capital Card

The Kobayashi of Kool-Aid
Reaction score
I admit, I not only wanted Wadsworth, I cried when we got him, and wished he could have married my sister. Oh wait, that was Bob Ferguson, not me....sorry.

Actually, I was elated we got him. He was billed as the player we needed, and was pumped over how we raped San Diego to get him. All of the so-called "experts" agreed that we were one of the big winners for that draft class.

Tough about the injury, but Skkorp is right, I remember reading lots of negative posts on the old board about Andre up at Flag during his sophmore season.

Also, I don't ever recall seeing that two teams offered their entire drafts to get him. Sorry to disbelieve, but without a link, it's pure revisionist history.

Go Cards!!!

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Skkorpion said:
Scott, I confess I liked Leaf over Peyton Manning. Dumb, dumb, dumb!

I did too! I think he fooled a whole lot of people with his act. He just never had the drive to become a player in the NFL. He had all the talent, but thats the problem when you give kids millions of dollars up front. What do they have to prove? They are set for life.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I originally wanted Randy Moss in that draft...but was eventually persuaded by other Cardinal fans that Wadsworth HAD to be our choice(I liked him over Woodson).

Oh and I liked Leaf too, I saw him play in person one time in SDS and he was awesome--although ASU led by Ryan Kealy ended up winning the game. A great game, scoreboard got lit up.

I also don't remember the Pack and Saints offering their entire draft. I do remember Ron Wolf saying that he thought Wadsworth was the best player in the draft by a wide margin though and he would like to have him but didn't believe he'd have the ammuntion to move up to get him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05