A Steeler fan's assessment of the Superbowl

Preacher

Rookie
Reaction score
Obviously, there will be some holes here as i don't know your team as well as I would like, however, I will definitely alleviate that over the next two weeks.

But here are the interesting matchups as I see them, in no particular order

1. Cards WR's TE's and RB's against the Steelers' DB's. It needs to be said up front, the Cards two top WR's are very good, and very fun to watch. The heart they showed yesterday was VERY impressive. They are going to be dangerous. So how do the Steelers match up? There are two answers here. The first answer is personnel. Now a whole lot of people don't know much about Ike Taylor. But Ike has quietly shutdown many of the best WR's in the NFL. He has lined up against T.O. when he and Philly were still on good terms, Ike has lined up against Moss this year when Moss and the pats were still routing people, he has consistantly shut down Braylon Edwards of teh Browns and the Bengals receivers, who are actually pretty good. So there isn't as big a mis-match as some might think. It will be a good battle.

On the other side is an old man that is slow, seemingly quiet, and not much flash at all. However, DeShea Townsend seems to always make the plays. Add to him McFadden and Gay, and we have a VERy good set of DB's. Our Safety tandem is possibly the best in the league, VERY hard hitting and ball hawking, as both was on show last night. Our LB's RUN LIKE DEER, Timmons for instance, can line up as a CB and cover well. He ran down Darren Sproles FROM BEHIND.

Add to all that the scheming. Tomlin has brought in a little of the Tampa Two (which was originally designed in Pittsburgh by the way, so it is ironic it is coming home) to help with LeBeau (Def. Coord.) and his fire-blitz scheme.

The bottom line is, if the Cards had very good TE, I would be very worried about the passing offense. However, they don't. That doesn't mean I am not worried. It does mean however, that between the Steeler DB's and the scheming, we have it within ourselves to limit the big plays and slow down the game. Which puts the pressure on the run.

2. James vs. our LB's and DL. Edgerrin James is a good running back. But the stats really do speak for themselves. You simply do not run on the Pittsburgh Steelers. We have only had 2 100+ rushing games against in something like the last 120 games. Both were at teh end of last year when our D was decimated with injuries and worn out by a new coach that pushed them too hard (practiced in pads and hitting almost throughout the year). That means it will all fall on the shoulders of Warner.

3. Warner vs. LeBeau. This is tough. I REALLY like Warner. Partly, it is his stand in faith. Part of it is his story. Part of it is just the fact that I think he is a really good football player. If he is given time, with the talent of the WR's you all have, he WILL pick our zone coverage apart. He is a proven QB at the NFL level for years. I think he deserves the HOF. The question is, will he be able to adjust to LeBeau's schemes and blitz packages? Then continue to readjust throughout the game? The key to Warner, like most QB's, is to put pressure on him quickly and continually. Make him throw the ball up so that our D can ball hawk line up the recievers for big (legal) hits which puts fear in the next time they go up for a pass (go back and watch some of our Bengal games. Our D literally had T.J. Housyourmama and Ocho stinko curling up into a little ball as soon as they touched the football). Thus, I think this entire battle will rest in one place, the rush.

4. Blitzburgh Rush vs. Cards Line and RB's picking it up. Here is where the rubber meets the road. We have two MONSTERS on the OLB position. Yesterday, the Ravens controlled them somewhat, but they were able to push the pocket up into the DL for sacks. BIg Snack (Casey Hampton) eats up two gaps, causing a lot of blockers to double him. In all honesty, LeBeau doesn't run as much trickery as he did when Whiz and Grimm were there. It is now a blunt force rush. . . with some slight of hand thrown in.

And it will be a battle, because the Cards seem to protect pretty dang well. I think it will be won or lost right here. Can you guys keep Harrison, Woodley, and Timmons away from Warner? Yes, and you have a DANG good shot at winning. No, and we have a dang good shot at winning.

Wow. I am worn out. Pitts offense vs. Cards. defense will have to be done at a later time. ;)

EndZone

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
You forgot Breaston and the RB's out of the backfield. Arrington has proved dangerous.

NeverSayDieFan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Hey, Preacher...

VERY GOOD evaluation. Wasn't sure about spelling assessment-(LOL) The Steelers' "D" is the BEST we'll see. EVEN better than the Eagles and that's saying something. I think the X-factors are 1./ Fitz' is uncanny at catching the ball at its' highest point. If Kurt can just get it in his area I think he'll catch it. 2./ As cardinal fans we've seen the GREATNESS of "Q". This is the moment he's waited for. ...And now that he's even angrier?? Man, it's a scary thought. "Q" in the open-field looking to run over people. Remember, our WR's are like yours. They luv' to dish it right back at you. ...And finally, Steve Breaston. IF you forget about him, he'll make that "key" catch to keep the chains moving on. ...And he's got speed, too. Though right now we're in CAN'T STOP FITZ'-mode.
I think it's going to be a GREAT battle. :D

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
That was a cheap head to head shot on McGhee late in the game.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
That was a cheap head to head shot on McGhee late in the game.

I'm not so certain it's a cheapshot, it would be hailed as a great hit 20 years ago. Now with the rule changes it's an illegal hit, but he put himself in just as much danger with that kind of tackle. The rules are pretty strict and I would anticipate him being suspended

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
As usual, you are entirely underestimating the Cards... Terrific! Be sure to tell all of your buddies and anyone associated with the Steelers to do the same.

This should be a great game. The best offense in football versus the best defense.
My view is that their is not a defense in the game today that can control the Cards offense for 4 quarters. In short, I see the Cards putting up 30 points at a minimum. So the question will become, can the Steelers score on a pace equal to the Cards?
In my opinion, I don't see it... I really don't. Ben is not a prolific passer. Your WR's are not prolific pass-catchers (Ward is a beast, but he's slowed and aging...). And it's extremely rare and entirely non-existent in the post season that a RB is able to be effective against the Cards run defense...
I can see the outcome of this game being something like 31 - 17 in favor of the Cards...

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It's a shame the media is poo-pooing on this game because it actually is a pretty good match up

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
Steeler fans are forgetting one important thing. You have to score points in order to win a game. Arizona will score. How much? Well that depends how much Kool-Aid you have been drinking. Personally, I am into my third cup, so I think they can score 20+ (2 TDs and a couple of FGs). I don't believe the Cards will be able to put up 30+ points against the Steelers D, especially if the Cards can't get some mileage out of the TE position or the RBs (run or passing out of the backfield).

Here is the question Steeler Fans should be asking themselves. Can the Steelers put up 20+ pts on the Cards? Remember, Whiz knows the Steeler offense...

It should be a great game, but I wouldn't pick against the Cardinals D. Those issues they had in the 3rd quarter yesterday will be sorted out in two weeks.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fitzgerald has been forced to become the big-play guy with Boldin's absence, but he is -- if anything -- the premiere chain-moving receive in the NFL. He's like a TE with receiver speed. That's the real challenge for any CB covering him. It's one thing to keep up with him down the field. It's entirely another to lock down on him on those short routes and sideline jump balls. Guys like TO get frustrated when the ball doesn't come their way down the field, but Fitz is pretty happy if he catches 8 balls at 10 yards a clip.

The Cards have been sending him on longer-developing drag routes to help get him open, but I sort of doubt they'll employ that much against Pittsburgh because it's unlikely Warner will have time to allow them to develop. Boldin, on the other hand, is the guy to watch on short drag routes and running with the ball after the catch. Like Fitz, he's just a beast to tackle because he's so strong, and as fast as most downfield receivers.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Colts and Bolts were both able to pass on the Steelers in Pit and I expect the Cards to be able to do the same. Steelers are going to need to put some points on the board and force multiple turnovers to win.

Cards are now 11-0 on the year when they win or tie the turnover battle and I expect that to hold true in the SB.

DuMaCac

Reaction score
2. James vs. our LB's and DL. Edgerrin James is a good running back. But the stats really do speak for themselves. You simply do not run on the Pittsburgh Steelers. We have only had 2 100+ rushing games against in something like the last 120 games. Both were at teh end of last year when our D was decimated with injuries and worn out by a new coach that pushed them too hard (practiced in pads and hitting almost throughout the year). That means it will all fall on the shoulders of Warner.

all your assessments are very well put, but i think this is wrong. stats really don't mean anything in the playoffs or the SuperBowl. Ex: AZ was around the 25 or 26 against the run. atl is the 2nd best rushing team in the league, held Turner around 60yds (average per game is 152.7). Car 3rd best rushing team in the league, we held BOTH RB's 75 yds(152.2 average per game). Eagles held teams to an average of 19 points per game all season, we put up 32 points. i would just like to say our running game isnt GREAT, but they do enough to keep the def honest and to control the game and thats all we need. Again stats dont mean diddly squat! get rdy for the 3rd 100+ rushing! =)

Reaction score
I think you guys actually underestimate the Steelers defense from some of the comments I've read. Can you pass on us - yes, but don't expect to scorch us. There are plays our defense is willing to give up and the Colts are pretty exceptional at exploiting those short quick slant or quick out's we will give up. We give them up because we will tackle you after the catch. The chargers got most of their yardage and points in the 4th quarter when the game was in garbage time so I wouldn't use them to try to judge the game. I suspect you'll see us playing a defense much like we used last night playing Ryan Clark and Troy Polamalu deep to help with coverage which will leave our short field open - it's just how well can you capitalize on this... I suspect pretty well with the talent at WR and TE you posses. Kurt Warner has been pretty stellar under pressure this year, but I hope the talent and speed we have on at LB and DE will be enough to keep the pressure high on him to keep him pressured most of the game and hope to force him into a mistake.

I do think it's a little late in the game to keep riding this "We don't get respect" or "they're under estimating us". In a twist off Green's words... You are who we think you are - a red hot, high octane passing offense with a reinvigorated defense and rushing attack. If you think the Steelers of all teams who was written off most of the season will under estimate you then you have another thing coming.

btw Hi, looking forward to some fun conversations/discussions with you guys... Visit us on Steelersfever if you want we're a pretty fun bunch

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I think you guys actually underestimate the Steelers defense from some of the comments I've read. Can you pass on us - yes, but don't expect to scorch us. There are plays our defense is willing to give up and the Colts are pretty exceptional at exploiting those short quick slant or quick out's we will give up. We give them up because we will tackle you after the catch. The chargers got most of their yardage and points in the 4th quarter when the game was in garbage time so I wouldn't use them to try to judge the game. I suspect you'll see us playing a defense much like we used last night playing Ryan Clark and Troy Polamalu deep to help with coverage which will leave our short field open - it's just how well can you capitalize on this... I suspect pretty well with the talent at WR and TE you posses. Kurt Warner has been pretty stellar under pressure this year, but I hope the talent and speed we have on at LB and DE will be enough to keep the pressure high on him to keep him pressured most of the game and hope to force him into a mistake.

I do think it's a little late in the game to keep riding this "We don't get respect" or "they're under estimating us". In a twist off Green's words... You are who we think you are - a red hot, high octane passing offense with a reinvigorated defense and rushing attack. If you think the Steelers of all teams who was written off most of the season will under estimate you then you have another thing coming.

btw Hi, looking forward to some fun conversations/discussions with you guys... Visit us on Steelersfever if you want we're a pretty fun bunch

The Steelers - as always - are a superbly coached team... So no, I don't think anyone who knows this game would expect that they would take the Cards lightly... They will be a fine-tuned machine in two weeks, as will we.
Also, we realyl don't have much talent at all at TE. The truly astonishing thing is that we've done all this with very little to no help at the TE position. Amazing...
My second favorite team in the NFL is the Steelers... Candidly, they were my first until I moved to AZ back in '01, where I caught Cardinal fever... I'll be rooting for the Cards and appreciate the job the Steelers and Tomlin have done this year.
In the end, I just don't see the Steelers being able to keep up the scoring on par with the Cards...

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
all your assessments are very well put, but i think this is wrong. stats really don't mean anything in the playoffs or the SuperBowl. Ex: AZ was around the 25 or 26 against the run. atl is the 2nd best rushing team in the league, held Turner around 60yds (average per game is 152.7). Car 3rd best rushing team in the league, we held BOTH RB's 75 yds(152.2 average per game). Eagles held teams to an average of 19 points per game all season, we put up 32 points. i would just like to say our running game isnt GREAT, but they do enough to keep the def honest and to control the game and thats all we need. Again stats dont mean diddly squat! get rdy for the 3rd 100+ rushing! =)

Well, I think only in the Cards' best dreams will they rush for 100 yards, but that's hardly the point of the Cards running game. It's there to serve two purposes:

- To force the linebackers and safeties to respect the LOS
- To keep the clock running to help the defense

Rushing yardage is secondary to YPC on 1st down and 3rd down conversion percentage. If the Cards only rush for 75 yards but regularly get into 2nd-and-6 situations, they will be elated. If the Cards convert 40 or more percent on third down, they will feel accomplished against that Steelers defense.

You could argue those flips to the backs that pick up 3 or 4 yards is "running game - supplemented," because they serve they exact same purpose.

Reaction score
The Steelers - as always - are a superbly coached team... So no, I don't think anyone who knows this game would expect that they would take the Cards lightly... They will be a fine-tuned machine in two weeks, as will we.
Also, we realyl don't have much talent at all at TE. The truly astonishing thing is that we've done all this with very little to no help at the TE position. Amazing...
My second favorite team in the NFL is the Steelers... Candidly, they were my first until I moved to AZ back in '01, where I caught Cardinal fever... I'll be rooting for the Cards and appreciate the job the Steelers and Tomlin have done this year.
In the end, I just don't see the Steelers being able to keep up the scoring on par with the Cards...

This is where the fun begins, I just don't think you'll be scoring as much as you think :D

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hah, hoping for the reverse of your hope. All I'm hoping for is to get our running game going enough to keep our time of possession high to keep Fitz off the field.

And that, of course, means the Steelers come out throwing downfield off play-action.

I'm actually anticipating this, and have sent a few of my zone blitz ideas to Pendergrast for the opening defensive series.;)

OP
OP
P

Preacher

Rookie
Reaction score
Of course I am going to disagree with most of you... but it is good to read answers that don't consist of "the steelers suck."

As far as the running game goes, it is the focal point of our defensive game. The Chargers had an excellent running game with Sproles. He was held in check. The Ravens had a great set of RB's. They too were held in check.

No, if you do beat us, it will be in the air.

BTW, remember the passing game of San Diego came about because it was late in the game and we were up by quite a few points. Anyone that has followed Dick LeBeau's steelers knows that he will trade yards and points for time on the clock. It is frustrating, but he does it.

SpokaneCardfan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Funny thing is , nobody is talking about Ben's pass protection. I believe he was sacked or hit more than any other QB this season. I could be wrong on that stat but he was way up there in sacks.If I'm Clancy, I would be sending ADub on a blind side safety blitz quite a bit at the start of the game. If it is successful he might just get a turnover or make him hurry his passes more throughout the game.

perivolaki

perivolaki
Reaction score
Of course I am going to disagree with most of you... but it is good to read answers that don't consist of "the steelers suck."

As far as the running game goes, it is the focal point of our defensive game. The Chargers had an excellent running game with Sproles. He was held in check. The Ravens had a great set of RB's. They too were held in check.

BTW, remember the passing game of San Diego came about because it was late in the game and we were up by quite a few points. Anyone that has followed Dick LeBeau's steelers knows that he will trade yards and points for time on the clock. It is frustrating, but he does it.

What most don't get is the running game works because teams are forced to deal with the pass. As the passing game becomes effective the oppositions run defense suffers. Or at least thats how it's woked so far.:D

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
That was a good run down.

My arguements would be on 1 & 3.

1. If your team does not account for Steve Breaston we will win this game. He is a stud, and has proven to be so throughout the season. He can carry the load if need be. Not to mention he is FAST!

Ike Taylor will have to play the game of his life against Fitzgerald.

3. Warner does NOT need a lot of time in the pocket. He gets the ball out very quickly, and he can be extremely dangerous against the blitz. With a healthy Anquan Boldin the blitz will be rolling the dice against us.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

The Steelers suck :p Sorry, too good of a setup.

This game, to me, really boils down to two different aspects of the game: the Steelers blitz and the Steelers running game. The Steelers are at their best blitzing the hell out of the QB. Warner is at his best when torching the blitz. It will all come down to whether the line can give him just enough time, and whether Warner can make those snap decisions. If so, the Steelers will have a long day. If not, our offense will have a long day. Also, if the Cards can shut down the run game as we have all postseason, it will be a long day for the Steelers. I think this boils down to force of will and mistakes. Will the Steelers be hungry enough at OL to impose their will on the defense? Will the weak-spot of the Steelers offense, their OL, make a ton of stupid penalties and miss assignments as they have throughout the year? If we can shut down the run and make their offense one-dimensional, woe to the Steelers. If we can't, then woe to our defense.

Those are the two phases of the game that will decide this matchup, IMO. And there's no telling how it will go in either case. Man, ain't this Super Bowl thing fun?

OP
OP
P

Preacher

Rookie
Reaction score
Funny thing is , nobody is talking about Ben's pass protection. I believe he was sacked or hit more than any other QB this season. I could be wrong on that stat but he was way up there in sacks.If I'm Clancy, I would be sending ADub on a blind side safety blitz quite a bit at the start of the game. If it is successful he might just get a turnover or make him hurry his passes more throughout the game.

I am THOROUGHLY disappointed in you. Being from my hometown, I thought you would have a better head on your shoulders than choosing the Cards! :D:D

Seriously... When it is all said and done, this is going to be a fun game.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

first, i congratulate you guys on making it to the superbowl. terrific, isn't it? i know y'all are more familiar with it, but man, that doesn't make it any less terrific!

second, your rush scares me but for one thing . . . kurt warner's ability to burn the blitz. all the stats show him to be the 4th most productive qb in burning the blitz this year, and it showed again against the eagles, other than in the third quarter (though if he doesn't overthrow Q on that middle seam we're talking another 7 points). if lebeau goes blitz crazy warner's ability to get the ball of quickly may result in HUGE plays. but honestly, i think lebeau plays it a little more conservatively, which i also think helps as it will likely keep warner clean.

an interesting side story will be who has the bigger impact, polamalu or adrian wilson. wilson clearly outplayed dawkins last week, can he do the same this week? one of his strong points is blitzing the qb. pittsburgh has had a pretty tough time keeping big ben clean. and our defense finally has teeth. if we can rattle ben, he might revert back to bad decisionmaking and our defense has become adept at taking advantage of bad decisions by qbs.

also, i sincerely hope you don't expect to have fast willie tee off on us. i realize he's healthy now, and yeah, his speed does cause me a bit of worry, but we've shut down michael turner, deangelo williams, and brian westbrook in successive weeks. we're ready for a fourth top rated runner.

finally, one of you stated that the underneath stuff will be open. thus far in the playoffs we've been making big plays downfield in the passing game, but if you look at our early season success it was pretty much predicated on short routes. both Q and fitz are more "possession" type receivers anyway. this plays to our strength. then, once you creep your safeties up, BAM we send fitz long for the jump ball.

now don't get me wrong, all this is not say i think this game will be a cakewalk, far from it. but there are strengths and weaknesses to every opponent and i cannot wait to see how whis gameplans to the weaknesses of your personnel. luckily there is very little that your coaching staff knows of the cards. i like that advantage too.

we are winning the superbowl.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser