OP
OP
Cheesebeef

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
I know you didn't say that, but I'm just trying to understand what you DO think about Dalembert getting a near max contract. Foyle got one of those last year, and we all know what happened there.

you;d think you'd learn soemthing about implying things. ;)

The difference between Foyle and Dalembert is that it's pretty well known league wide that when given his shot, Dalembert put up VERY impressive numbers but Jim O'Brien had somethiung against him - and apparently against the entire team. I don't believe Foyle ever hada stretch like Dalembert had at the end of the season two years ago where every night he looked like a force to be reckoned with. REgardless - teams will continue to pony up for big men - they don't learn their lesson (Calivn Booth anyone) - but ultimately whoever takes the gamble on Dalembert is gonna get a hell of a plyer. I think the kid's gonna be a stud.

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
Jesus, I don't even need to read the crap in this thread before knowing exactly where it's headed.

Trade Marion for Dalembert and Korver? Are you kidding?

Yeah, Marion played like a scared little girl in the WCF.

But, he was money in the regular season and playoffs up until the WCF. He took his game to another level. Any other team just WISHES they had a Shawn Marion!

Seriously, some of you have too much time on your hands.

OP
OP
Cheesebeef

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
As much as I wish he scored more, he did have double digit rebounding in 3 of the 5 games, with the other 2 having 9. That's not being a ghost. And that's no reason to all of a sudden turn him into the scapegoat of everything you dislike about the Suns. :rolleyes:

And PLEASE, for the love of God, stop with the personal attacks!

where was the personal attacks in the post you quoted? And I'm not turning him into the scapegoat of everything about the Suns - that's another of your misdirects that has no basis in fact again. I've maintained all along that we do not break this core up for at least another year and the reason we lost was because Q AND Marion were completely AWOL and because we couldn't get a stop.

Now if you will please putting words into my mouth - especially in light of statements made that completely contradict what you've written, it would be appreciated and maybe then we can have a civil dicsussion.:thumbup:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
where was the personal attacks in the post you quoted? And I'm not turning him into the scapegoat of everything about the Suns - that's another of your misdirects that has no basis in fact again. I've maintained all along that we do not break this core up for at least another year and the reason we lost was because Q AND Marion were completely AWOL and because we couldn't get a stop.

Now if you will please putting words into my mouth - especially in light of statements made that completely contradict what you've written, it would be appreciated and maybe then we can have a civil dicsussion.:thumbup:

You of all people have no idea what a "civil discussion" is, so don't be making yourself out to be a saint.

OP
OP
Cheesebeef

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sly fly said:
Jesus, I don't even need to read the crap in this thread before knowing exactly where it's headed.

you do realize that only ONE person on this thread suggested this and no one has yet to agree with him, right?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
sly fly said:

Yeah, Marion played like a scared little girl in the WCF.

But, he was money in the regular season and playoffs up until the WCF. He took his game to another level. Any other team just WISHES they had a Shawn Marion!

Seriously, some of you have too much time on your hands.

EXACTLY!!

OP
OP
Cheesebeef

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
You of all people have no idea what a "civil discussion" is, so don't be making yourself out to be a saint.

Again - never said I was saint - but when you start the discussion with "I am so sick of you" - where the hell do you think it's gonna go Chap?

OP
OP
Cheesebeef

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
EXACTLY!!

wow - you really get off on this don't you? Tell me - who here has ACTUALLY AGREED WITH WASTED FATE ABOUT TRADING MARION FOR SD AND KORVER?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
wow - you really get off on this don't you? Tell me - who here has ACTUALLY AGREED WITH WASTED FATE ABOUT TRADING MARION FOR SD AND KORVER?

:biglaugh:

That's not the real point here, but whatever you think ammunition you need, more power to you.

OP
OP
Cheesebeef

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
:biglaugh:

That's not the real point here, but whatever you think ammunition you need, more power to you.

then why did you so emphatically say EXACTLY? Is about too much time on your hands - I'd agree - I'm right with you there - but it seems like you are making it out to be that everyone wants Marion traded - when in reality one person suggested it and no one else agreed - then you made the assertion that Marion was the best regular season player on the team, I called that ridiculous (not a personal attack - I gave reasons why I thought it was ridiculous - and in case you don't "ridiculous" is an adjective used to describe something one thinks if very dubious) and then you said you were sick of me (which could quantify as a personal attack - but I didn't take it that way) and then you went on to put words in people's mouths - so again - what is the point here?

OP
OP
Cheesebeef

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
\

and is this even english?;)

Man - I need to go do something...

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Hey now....Marion for Korver and Dalembert wouldnt be THAT bad of a deal... ;)

OP
OP
Cheesebeef

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hey Chap - sorry if today got out of hand - humblest apologies - bottom line - like I told the tree trunk who was to kick the snot out of me after I tried kicking his windows in at a Suns v. Lakers game back in 1996)still can't believe I got kicked out of the greatest Suns comebakc of all time) - Fellow Suns fans shouldn't be fighting with each other. My bad dude - let's hope Marion continues to grow and finally will make me praise his skills as he's drenched in champagne holding that golden trophy above his head!

AZZenny

Reaction score
Be nice if all that friendly 'give and take' could be removed from what was originally a celebratory thread. :rolleyes:

Amare32

STAT man
Reaction score
The only way Marion won't get bashed by some Suns fans and people in the media is when he moves back to his natural small forward position. He did a great job this year playing the 4 spot but when he has to go up against guys like Duncan that not only leaves him at a disadvantage on the defensive end. It also doesn't give Amare much to work with inside in terms of taking some pressure off him. This team needs a big with Marion at the 3. Getting a big is the tough part.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Amare32 said:
The only way Marion won't get bashed by some Suns fans and people in the media is when he moves back to his natural small forward position. He did a great job this year playing the 4 spot but when he has to go up against guys like Duncan that not only leaves him at a disadvantage on the defensive end. It also doesn't give Amare much to work with inside in terms of taking some pressure off him. This team needs a big with Marion at the 3. Getting a big is the tough part.

that sounds good in theory, but Shawn Marion struggled in the one series where he spent minimal time defending power forwards. Amare and Hunter defended Duncan most of the time in the WCF.

Joe Mama

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
that sounds good in theory, but Shawn Marion struggled in the one series where he spent minimal time defending power forwards.

I hadn't thought of that, but you're absolutely right. So that begs the question, what the heck is Marion complaining so much about?

cly2tw

Reaction score
Marion in Suns system is a better PF than a SF. In fact, there are only a couple really good complete or lowpost oriented PFs that he cant defend: Duncan, Rasheed, Dyce, Randolf, Odom, and more. He ahs no big problem with Dirk and KG. All in all, as long as he can neutralize them to certain extent, our overpowering offense will win the game for us, on which he is a mismatch for most opposing PFs too.

But he is not a very good defender at SF. He is better now at not biting on every fake, but his latteral agility is still one-dimentional and he can be easily shaken off by crossovers. Without an intimidating paint presence, we will get burned by penetrations, like we did in the Spurs series. His strength is rebounding and stealing the ball with his quick jumps. But those stats alone won't make him a good defender. Coaches rightfully ignored him for the all-defensive teams.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
cly2tw said:
Marion in Suns system is a better PF than a SF. In fact, there are only a couple really good complete or lowpost oriented PFs that he cant defend: Duncan, Rasheed, Dyce, Randolf, Odom, and more. He ahs no big problem with Dirk and KG. All in all, as long as he can neutralize them to certain extent, our overpowering offense will win the game for us, on which he is a mismatch for most opposing PFs too.

But he is not a very good defender at SF. He is better now at not biting on every fake, but his latteral agility is still one-dimentional and he can be easily shaken off by crossovers. Without an intimidating paint presence, we will get burned by penetrations, like we did in the Spurs series. His strength is rebounding and stealing the ball with his quick jumps. But those stats alone won't make him a good defender. Coaches rightfully ignored him for the all-defensive teams.

Let's not fool ourselves here. Shawn Marion needs double-team help against most power forwards in the NBA. In fact he needs double-team help against a lot of small forwards these days. Most of the time the defense would be better if he was guarding the small forward though. He struggled to defend Ginobilli, but who hasn't?

My original point was that nobody can blame Shawn Marion's struggles in the San Antonio series on the energy he had to use to defend Tim Duncan because he didn't spend that much time guarding him.

Joe Mama

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Marion had a very long year. He played in the Olympics, averaged 38.8 minutes a game in 81 regular season games, and had to play guys who are 5 inches taller and 50 pounds heavier. Then, in the conference championship, he is guarded by the league's premier defender and doesn't get many open shots.

In the conference finals, Hunter averaged 20.6 minutes a game, with 7 of those when Amare was on the bench. So Marion was on Duncan or another big around 25 minutes a game against the Spurs.