Adrian McPherson

Grand Canon

Rookie
Reaction score
Remember this guy from Florida State- I just noticed his name on the Draft eligible players- He was extremely talented player who got in some trouble, but I know he has all the tools to be sucessful- HE IS A MJOR UPGRADE OVER CHRIS LEWIS AND JOHN NAVARRE-

spanky1

Reaction score
If we still have our 3rd round pick come draft day (which I guarantee you we will because Green values day 1 picks too much to trade them......including for Henry or Bennett or whomever), I REALLY am getting excited about the potential of McPherson here.

blillyl

Reaction score
He might even be there in the 4th. I believe that he may have the greatest upside of any quarterback in the draft and could end up being the steal of the draft.

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
I would rather take Sproles if he is around. We could solve our return man problem and have a third down back.

OP
OP
G

Grand Canon

Rookie
Reaction score
Give Him A Chance- Best Prospect In Draft

From the internet:

The last time we checked in with Arena League rookie of the year Adrian McPherson, he had just finished his first, and only, season of Arena football and was facing a decision of a lifetime. To go, or not to go. The NFL was calling. We all know about the past, what is important is the future. What has Adrian McPherson been doing to realize his dream of playing in the NFL?

Step one was releasing agent Daryl Willis. Willis was being decertified by the NFL Players Association and would not be able to represent McPherson if and when he made himself eligible for the draft. The first big decision was finding an agent that would fairly represent him and show that he has changed since his days at Florida State. The search would not be a quick one and with many agents lining up to offer their services, it would be a trying one. After weighing his options, Adrian decided on renowned super-agent Leigh Steinberg. Steinberg is one of the most respected agents in the business and brings with him a solid reputation. The fact that he would represent McPherson was the first bit of light shining through the tunnel.

After finding the right agent, Adrian moved from Florida to California to train for the NFL Combine and private workouts. The trip to California would not be a vacation though. McPherson arrived in Newport Beach with a renewed work ethic and the determination to prove his doubters wrong. The big downside to Adrian physically is that many scouts felt like he was too skinny and not accurate enough to play in the NFL. Not to mention the so-called character concerns that people were labeling him with.

Working out six times a week with agents Bruce and Ryan Tollner, sons of Detroit Lions offensive coordinator Ted, would show Adrian how to become a better NFL quarterback and give him the strength to impress scouts. At a legit 6’4 and 190lbs, Adrian had work to do before showing NFL teams he was ready. While playing at Florida State, McPherson was also on the basketball team and would spend as much time preparing for that as he did football. He had always gotten by on talent alone, but now he is focusing solely on football and the results are impressing. Having gained 20 pounds of muscle in the past 6 months, McPherson is up to a solid 220lbs and running his 40 in 4.45 seconds and a 4.38 at one running. He has put up 26 reps of 225lbs, an amazing number for any skill position player.

All the reps and fast forty times will not make Adrian a good NFL quarterback though. Being a good passer will. Working out with former-NFL great Warren Moon has given Adrian a mentor and experienced voice to learn from. Moon has said that Adrian has the best arm he has ever seen and that working with him has been amazing. The one problem they are running into daily is that his foot speed is so fast that he has to learn to slow down in the pocket. As for the knock on his accuracy, Moon feels like his exposure to the Arena game improved his touch and accuracy.

What does all of this mean? It means that the NFL is taking notice that McPherson is back and is a legit Day One prospect. After a meet and greet session at the Senior Bowl, McPherson and his agents feel like they have a shot to move up draft boards quickly. Adrian met with many teams for a few hours and gave each team a chance to see the real person, not the one they read about in the newspapers. How high will he go on draft day? That’s dependant upon who you ask. Some draft sites have McPherson as an undrafted free agent and some NFL teams believe he is the best quarterback in the draft. It’s all going to get interesting soon enough though.

Be sure to check back often because we are the only draft site that can give you exclusive info on McPherson and his road to the NFL. In the coming weeks we’ll give you an inside look on workouts, his story and his projected spot in the draft.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow that is intriguing although speed is secondary for a QB. I'm actually not all that worried about the gambling stuff a lot of young college kids do that stuff most just don't get caught and kicked off the team. What concerns me about him is he's just played so little, but in that respect he's a lot like Drew Henson and at least he wasn't out playing another sport for several years.

spanky1

Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Wow that is intriguing although speed is secondary for a QB. I'm actually not all that worried about the gambling stuff a lot of young college kids do that stuff most just don't get caught and kicked off the team. What concerns me about him is he's just played so little, but in that respect he's a lot like Drew Henson and at least he wasn't out playing another sport for several years.

Drew Henson had been out of football for three years before being signed by Dallas.......not the case with McPherson.....very big difference.

spanky1

Reaction score
JPlay said:
I would rather take Sproles if he is around. We could solve our return man problem and have a third down back.

Sproles, with the 3rd round pick......are you daft ?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
spanky1 said:
Drew Henson had been out of football for three years before being signed by Dallas.......not the case with McPherson.....very big difference.

Which was why I wrote "but at least he wasn't out playing another sport for several years."

cdex99

Registered
Reaction score
He was suppossed to challenge Rix for the starting spot but got into trouble before anything could happen. The kid seems to have his head on straight and could be an exciting player in the league. If he's there, I'd take a chance on him. We've been doing pretty well lately with Florida State players.

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
spanky1 said:

Oh you would rather have a player that never had a full year in college and was thrown out for gambling....my bad.

spanky1

Reaction score
JPlay said:
Oh you would rather have a player that never had a full year in college and was thrown out for gambling....my bad.

But he did have a full year in the AFL.........and there is no questioning his level of talent irregardless of being thrown out of schoool.

Sproles is too damn small and using a day 1 pick on him is ludicrous......hell some "draft experts have him available in the 5th.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
spanky1 said:
But he did have a full year in the AFL.........and there is no questioning his level of talent irregardless of being thrown out of schoool.

Sproles is too damn small and using a day 1 pick on him is ludicrous......hell some "draft experts have him available in the 5th.

I agree on Sproles, but some draft experts have McPherson in the later rounds or undrafted. Talent is obvious but when you start considering the integrity of the game, some teams are going to be nervous.

I am not all that worried, if we drafted him we'd be watching him like a hawk, but pro leagues take gambling very seriously, alot more seriously than they take steroids for some odd reason.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I'd like to see McPherson in here, I really think that he could eventually be the answer to our quarterback woes. He is a huge risk, but hopefully he has recovered from the gambling issues that affected his college career.

As far as Sproles goes, I have been impressed when watching him carry the ball, but his size would prevent me from taking him with any of our day 1 picks. I weigh near 180 myself, and I don't think I could take the rigors of an NFL season.

RobbleRobble

Hope springs eternal
Reaction score
This thread is from a month ago, but I'm going to bump it back up as I was about to start my own Adrian McPherson thread.

We signed Warner, but clearly he isn't the long term answer. Are McCown or Navarre? I don't really think so. I'd really like to see us come out of this draft with a QB.

I've been pimping Alex Smith for awhile and actually think there is some chance that he falls to us at #8. If not, and we go CB/RB/Derrick Johnson at #8, I'll be pulling for McPherson in round 2.

When this thread was started, there was a lot of "if he's there in round 3" and "he'll be there in round 4" talk, but McPherson's stock is on the rise. To the point where some folks have speculated that he could make it to the first round. I don't think he gets to the first round, but I think its going to take an early 2nd round pick to draft him.

I like McPherson a lot and would certainlly want to take him over the likes of Charlie Frye, Orton, Andrew Walter, etc.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think the really intriguing thing about this year's draft is the wide variance of opinion on where certain players will be drafted between rounds 2 & 7.

For example, some "experts" feel Arrington will last through the 3rd round. Others feel he'll be gone by the middle of round 2.

Teams drafting on the basis of "need" will be in a quandry: If your strategy centers around a CB in the first round and Arrington later on, it begs the question: "If you select Arrington at #44, did you pick him too early and therefore squandered a pick?" Or: If you feel he's overvalued at #44, do you wait til your next pick (or 2 picks) and risk losing him?

This kind of gives credence to Dennis Green's "best player philosophy" and trust in your Board.

Poorknight1

Registered
Reaction score
I recant my previous statement about Spanky being crazy for taking McPherson before Round 5. While I still think it's a serious gamble it's a gamble I would be willing to take with the last pick of the third round. Especially if he gets one or two years to sit behind Warner. I still think you have to go for impact picks in the first three rounds but with the luxury of the extra pick...eh, take him and see what happens.

PK1

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JeffGollin said:
I think the really intriguing thing about this year's draft is the wide variance of opinion on where certain players will be drafted between rounds 2 & 7.

For example, some "experts" feel Arrington will last through the 3rd round. Others feel he'll be gone by the middle of round 2.

Teams drafting on the basis of "need" will be in a quandry: If your strategy centers around a CB in the first round and Arrington later on, it begs the question: "If you select Arrington at #44, did you pick him too early and therefore squandered a pick?" Or: If you feel he's overvalued at #44, do you wait til your next pick (or 2 picks) and risk losing him?

This kind of gives credence to Dennis Green's "best player philosophy" and trust in your Board.

GW:strategery:GW

scot182

Registered
Reaction score
the new espn mag with nash on the cover has a good article on him i wouldnt mind drafting this guy he is an exciting player to watch.

seesred

Reaction score
I like this guy a lot.He is the younger second coming of Warner. He had some problems back then and has been good from all accounts since then. I'd love us to be able to piuck him up with a late third or the fourth. I think he would push Navare and Mccown very hard for a roster spot or at the very least on the expanded training squad. Does anyone know if his life had gone somewhat smoother where he might have been picked in the draft?>

GBR

In Green we trust

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
RobbleRobble said:
This thread is from a month ago, but I'm going to bump it back up as I was about to start my own Adrian McPherson thread.

Post of the week.

Regards,

A-Bomb

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Can McPherson read a defense?? If all he has is fast legs and a strong arm.....no thanks!! We already have a QB like that, Josh McCown!!