Adrian Wilson injured

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I that makes sense Kerouac, and personally I thought Rhodes deserved the Pro-bowl again last year and I think Wilson would agree he deserved it more than he did.

That, and when I was watching highlights of the Dallas game, I saw Johnson just get embarrassed by Jason Witten in the end zone. Turned around like he was a high school player. :bang:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
me no like going into a second consecutive season where we're going to be depending on another key defensive player whos' going to "try" and get back on the field at some point while coming back from a serious injury. This has 2010 Gerald Hayes written all over it.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Found this great site on Bicep Rupture/Tear good read doesn't look as bad as I tought.

http://www.eorthopod.com/content/biceps-rupture

FYI Hayes was back and this realy bad and not something to "come back" from.

Nonsurgical Treatment

Doctors usually treat a ruptured long head of biceps tendon without surgery. This is especially true for older individuals who can tolerate loss of arm strength or if the injury occurs in the nondominant arm.
You must be registered for see images attach

Not having surgery usually only results in a moderate loss of strength. The short head of the biceps is still attached and continues to supply strength to raise the arm up. Flexion of the elbow may be affected, but supination (the motion of twisting the forearm such as when you use a screwdriver) is usually affected more. Not repairing a ruptured biceps reduces supination strength by about 20 percent.
Nonsurgical measures could include a sling to rest the shoulder. Patients may be given anti-inflammatory medicine to help ease pain and swelling and to help return people to activity sooner after a biceps tendon rupture. These medications include common over-the-counter drugs such as ibuprofen.
Doctors may have their patients work with a physical or occupational therapist. At first, your therapist will give you tips how to rest your shoulder and how to do your activities without putting extra strain on the sore area.
Your therapist may apply ice and electrical stimulation to ease pain. Exercises are used to gradually strengthen other muscles that help do the work of a normal biceps muscle.

Last edited:

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Nonsurgical Rehabilitation

In cases where the ruptured biceps tendon is treated nonsurgically, you will need to avoid heavy arm activity for three to four weeks. (PRESEASON) As the pain and swelling resolve, you should be safe to begin doing more normal activities.
If the tendon is only partially torn, however, recovery takes longer. Patients usually need to rest the shoulder using a protective sling. As symptoms ease, a carefully progressed rehabilitation program under the supervision of a physical or occupational therapist usually follows. This often involves four to six weeks of therapy.

Let's see if he has a sling on the next few weeks.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
"The decision regarding partial tears is a little more involved. The activity level of the patient (low demand vs. high demand) will be one of the primary determining factors. Low demand patients (minimal labor-intensive activities) will typically do well with conservative treatment (rehabilitation). High demand patients will usually require surgery to allow them to return to labor-intensive activities or athletic competition.

between the 6-9 month post-op period, which includes a return to full unrestricted function.

"The recovery after a partial tear can be significantly less, but is heavily dependent upon the size of the tear and how much had to be reattached. The physician will typically dictate the post-op progression based on the surgical findings."

So is what he has a partial tear? If so surgery might be a better option than having him back game 1 and risking further deterioration down the line. Get it taken care of now! The right way!

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nonsurgical Rehabilitation

In cases where the ruptured biceps tendon is treated nonsurgically, you will need to avoid heavy arm activity for three to four weeks. (PRESEASON) As the pain and swelling resolve, you should be safe to begin doing more normal activities.
If the tendon is only partially torn, however, recovery takes longer. Patients usually need to rest the shoulder using a protective sling. As symptoms ease, a carefully progressed rehabilitation program under the supervision of a physical or occupational therapist usually follows. This often involves four to six weeks of therapy.

Let's see if he has a sling on the next few weeks.

One of the problems going this route is that once you begin using the arm you permanently lose the option of correcting it by surgery. And, IMO, the loss of strength (especially when supinating) is at least 30%. Skipping surgery was the right choice for me but I was in my 50's when it happened and I was not a professional athlete. Unless Adrian plans to retire after this season, I'd suggest shutting it down and having it fixed. That's assuming it's a full tear of course. If it's a partial tear that's a different story.

Steve

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
read whatever site that's gonna make your feel better, but after talking to my dad who's an orthopod and my best friend who's an orthopod at Mayo, both of whom have season tickets and bleed red like I do, let's just say I'm not getting my hopes up that Wilson comes back or can really make any impact this season.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
read whatever site that's gonna make your feel better, but after talking to my dad who's an orthopod and my best friend who's an orthopod at Mayo, both of whom have season tickets and bleed red like I do, let's just say I'm not getting my hopes up that Wilson comes back or can really make any impact this season.
Most orthopedic surgeons know what they are talking about, so that is not so good to hear.

I may be alone in this, but I kinda look forward to seeing what Rashad can do.

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I like K9's idea of a safety swap, but that's dependent of scheme and how heavily it's slated to position power over personnel power.

The question is, which is the best option?
Moving Rhodes and trying to marginalize risk, but handicap Rhodes clear playmaking ability from the spot he had last year, or do you keep him where he is to continue his impact an gamble that there's anyone currently on the roster who can play half as competently as Wilson?

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
One of the problems going this route is that once you begin using the arm you permanently lose the option of correcting it by surgery. And, IMO, the loss of strength (especially when supinating) is at least 30%. Skipping surgery was the right choice for me but I was in my 50's when it happened and I was not a professional athlete. Unless Adrian plans to retire after this season, I'd suggest shutting it down and having it fixed. That's assuming it's a full tear of course. If it's a partial tear that's a different story.

Steve

That is exactly what I was trying to highlight. There will be a loss of strength that will never be recovered if surgery is ruled out as an option. Surgery is the correct way of fixing this. Rehab is a bandaid.

WarnerHOF

Registered
Reaction score
Definitely take the surgery IMO. Playoffs are still 50/50 even with him playing.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Memo to #24 -

You don't have to prove to anyone how relentless and badass you are as an athlete.

But if there is even the remotest risk that playing thru the injury and/or skipping surgery will (a) risk permanent injury or (b) impede your recovery, do the smart thing, have the surgery and live to fight another day.

Of course, if the medics feel there's a way for you to remain in action without risking further injury, you trust them and you feel you can do it...by all means, go for it.

Bottom line - this is one of those times where "smart" must trump "badass."