Adrian Wilson injured

OP
OP
AzWins23

AzWins23

Reaction score
@AdamSchefter: Cardinals Pro Bowl S Adrian Wilson has a torn muscle in his bicep, but he is determined to try to play with it. Will get 2nd opinion.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@AdamSchefter: Cardinals Pro Bowl S Adrian Wilson has a torn muscle in his bicep, but he is determined to try to play with it. Will get 2nd opinion.

This scenario hardly plays out in the teams favor. Also, 3 or 4 years ago I would have said a 80% Wilson is better than most. I am not so sure anymore based on the last couple seasons.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
This scenario hardly plays out in the teams favor. Also, 3 or 4 years ago I would have said a 80% Wilson is better than most. I am not so sure anymore based on the last couple seasons.

My sources tell me that if all else fails, Wilson will just rip off the lame arm and beat Vernon Davis to death with it when we play SF.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
He's doing cardio work on a separate field. So, evidently no sling. There's hope!

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
What is up with Rashad Johnson? Can this guy play or what? I know he doesn't have the game of Adrian Wilson, but can he at least be a good player?

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I thought rashad was a FS? Even for a fs, he looked pretty small and wasn't very physical from what I can remember. Move Rhodes over to SS?

jerseyred

Rookie
Reaction score
Here we go again!...... last year he played hurt and look how bad he was now here we go again, I had something to say about this yesterday and got jumped on look I get it you guys like aw a lot that's ok , but you have to Stop thinking in the past he is not a kid anymore having a older player playing hurt at certain spots can hurt the team, be straight he is the worst cover safety in football, if I had a ten bucks for every time a player said I had a bad year because I was hurt I would be right
I

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Here we go again!...... last year he played hurt and look how bad he was now here we go again, I had something to say about this yesterday and got jumped on look I get it you guys like aw a lot that's ok , but you have to Stop thinking in the past he is not a kid anymore having a older player playing hurt at certain spots can hurt the team, be straight he is the worst cover safety in football, if I had a ten bucks for every time a player said I had a bad year because I was hurt I would be right
I

Who is the second worst cover safety?

Curious, because the worst one made it to the Pro Bowl in a year when he was hobbled by a hip injury that needed surgery.

It's not his decision whether he plays, in the final instance and if Horton decides he's the best guy to put out there, that's OK with me.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I

you had a point until you said he is the worst cover safety in football.

PS: cover safety = FS not so much SS.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
one can question Wilson's cover skills but no one should ever question his word, if he says he'll be ready for game 1, he will be ready

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
Game one would be great, but like you desertdawg, I would be more than happy if he sat out the first three of four weeks if it meant he would be better off.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I'm guessing that Rashard moved in to Kerry Rhodes' free safety position, and Rhodes stepped in to Wilson's responsibilities.

Johnson is not a very good player and is probably another blown third-round draft pick by the organization. He should've replaced Antrel Rolle, but right now he has a roster spot by virtue of the team bringing in no competition for him for two years running.

On the other hand, I think that Rhodes can really, really excel taking on more of Wilson's responsibilities. He can cover man and read zones. He's not as straight-line fast as Wilson is, but he's probably more flexible. He doesn't hit or blitz as well as Wilson does, but he can be effective in that role.

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
does not the FS normally call the coverages in the secondary and it more responsible for coverage than the SS., I personally would like Rhodes to stay at that FS position than move him to a spot where a weakness would exist even more dangerously at FS in his absence

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
does not the FS normally call the coverages in the secondary and it more responsible for coverage than the SS., I personally would like Rhodes to stay at that FS position than move him to a spot where a weakness would exist even more dangerously at FS in his absence

Think of it this way: Would you rather have Kerry Rhodes involved in more plays, or Rashard Johnson? There's no reason why Rhodes can't call coverages from the FS spot, but if it's between asking Johnson to make more plays and asking Rhodes to do so, I'm going to put my faith in the former Pro Bowler.

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
I that makes sense Kerouac, and personally I thought Rhodes deserved the Pro-bowl again last year and I think Wilson would agree he deserved it more than he did.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I pulled this from a web site discussion board. Sounds like if you do a lot of weight work and play a sport such as football surgery is more likely the way to go to fix it. Not saying this is what AW has however note the bold area.

Marc Bernier at the Alabama Sports Medicine and Orthopaedic Center (ASMOC), replies:

"From the description you have given, it would appear that you have suffered a distal biceps tendon tear. This injury is most commonly caused by a vigorous eccentric contraction (lengthens whilst contracting) of the biceps muscle, similar to the mechanism you have described.

"The symptoms you have reported are textbook for this injury:

* a popping felt at the elbow;
* localized swelling and bruising at the area;
* and a significant loss of strength in elbow flexion and supination.

"The more severe the injury, the easier it is to diagnose. When the tendon is completely ruptured, the biceps muscle will retract towards the shoulder, resulting in a ball-like appearance ½ - ¾ of the way up the arm. The tendon can be partially torn, which appears to be the case in your situation .

Illustration: anatomy of the biceps

"The surgical decision depends on the severity of the injury and the activity level of the patient. In most cases, complete ruptures of the tendon require surgical correction, which involves reattaching the tendon to its insertion site.

"The decision regarding partial tears is a little more involved. The activity level of the patient (low demand vs. high demand) will be one of the primary determining factors. Low demand patients (minimal labor-intensive activities) will typically do well with conservative treatment (rehabilitation). High demand patients will usually require surgery to allow them to return to labor-intensive activities or athletic competition.

"This surgery involves reattaching the torn portion of the tendon. If most of the tendon is torn and is functionally deficient, the surgeon may detach the remaining intact fibers, and perform a complete surgical correction.

"The recovery after reattachment of a complete rupture is a very gradual process, and the speed at which the rehabilitation can be progressed is based on the healing process. Very basic exercises for ROM (Range of Movement) are performed initially for the first 6-8 weeks, followed by light strengthening exercises. These are started with 1 pound weights and gradually increased as strength and symptoms allow. Light weight training can be performed (bench press, shoulder press) at the 3 - 3 ½ month post-op mark. Generally speaking, strength becomes normalized anywhere between the 6-9 month post-op period, which includes a return to full unrestricted function.

"The recovery after a partial tear can be significantly less, but is heavily dependent upon the size of the tear and how much had to be reattached. The physician will typically dictate the post-op progression based on the surgical findings."

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Ugh! Torn tendon.

Completely ? Partially ?

If it is completely torn, then shut him down.

If it is partially torn, and he wants to risk it ? It is his arm. But, it won't last long, IMO.

Get the surgery, and shut him down for the season. In reality I think this team is going to be ready to be a big contender next year, and I would rather have a healthy Wilson for next year.

Last edited:

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Ugh! Torn tendon.

Completely ? Partially ?

If it is completely torn, then shut him down.

If it is partially torn, and he wants to risk it ? It is his arm. But, it won't last long, IMO.

Get the surgery, and shut him down for the season. In reality I think this team is going to be ready to be a big contender next year, and I would rather have a healthy Wilson for next year.

Evidently, it's partial and he intends to play.