After Further Review

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
With the help of the Direct Ticket 30 review, I recorded the game and ran it all in slow motion. Here’s what I saw.
1. Most of the blocking breakdowns were the result of poor blocking by tight ends or a failure of the offensive line to get clear on who would block which rusher. The latter was an issue last year as well, but San Fran barely stunted, so it’s scary the Cards didn’t look better.
2. Edge did a great job of picking his holes. He only made what appeared to be the inferior choice on two carriers. With just a little more help, he’d be unreal with this passing attack to keep the defense honest.
3. Cards receivers dropped at least 3 very catchable balls; however, the Cards have one of the best receiver sets I’ve ever seen. They should have called Johnson’s number more.
4. The punt coverage error was due to several people overrunning the play and amazing case of not holding their lanes all the way back to the line of scrimmage. I couldn’t get numbers, but I’m sure the coaching staff has them.
5. Pace & Huff often got caught too far inside and left the flat open.
6. The defensive tackles failed to hold the line on blocking plays and were typically handled by one-on-one blocking. No one anchored worth a hoot.
7. Warner had a great game except for the fumble and the idiotic grounding throw.
8. I saw some criticism of Rolle, but he looked good on tape. When the QB isn’t pressured any more than Smith was, you can’t hold coverage forever.
9. Green can really hit, but he needs to focus on coverage a little more.
10. Francisco had a nice game as a role player.
11. The Cards failed to collapse the pocket and there was rarely more than one defender pressuring the QB, which made sacks hard to come by since Smith is very mobile. Except for the fumble, Dockett was invisible.
12. Shipp played well on special teams.
13. The tackling was really bad.

We will know a great deal more about this team after week two. They held back so much that I know is in the game package; including that flea flicker another poster mentioned. I look for a fun game, but likely a tough loss.

Last edited:

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What a great write up. I hope it becomes a weekly special. :) :thumbup:

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Harry said:
5. Pace & Huff often got caught too far inside and left the flat open.

I saw this also. Expecially with Pace. Given that this was his first real game playing LB I'm hoping that it can easily be corrected. Chalk it up to lack of experience. Huff on the other hand should know better.

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
one grip about this write up. that is the comment on that idiotic grounding throw. he was trying to save a sack and get the ball to james. even if it was with his left hand. i know if warner would have completed that throw everyone would be saying "what a great play by warner". so spare me the idotic comments when a player is trying hard to win the game.

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
I will say this about Warner -- he just doesnt give up on a play -- even when he should.

Part of me thinks that Warner has soooo much time early in the game that he came to feel he could simply hold and hold the ball waiting for someone to come open -- a couple of those sacks came after Warner had been back there for quite some time.

Finally -- Kurt -- please-- if someone gets their hands on you in the pocket, just tuck that ball securely away and fall to the ground.

ReddBird

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with your comments on Rolle. Because of his draft position, alot of us want him to dazzle from Game One. I think he's got solid talent and will only get better.

And I loved watching the Edge run. Yeah, he didn't get a hundred yards -- but put Shipp or Arrington in his place, I don't think we get 30 yards.

Nice update.

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
here here harry!! thanks so much.... i guess every team has issues but in your commentary what was most troublesome was your observation that the same errors are occuring again vis a vis blocking assignments...

we know that the coaches watched the same film...many times over and we can expect that they will address what you noted.

if it takes a draft choice to get edwards we ought to think about that

BigRedArk

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Harry said:
We will know a great deal more about this team after week two. They held back so much that I know is in the game package; including that flea flicker another poster mentioned. I look for a fun game, but likely a tough loss.

I caught your vibe in that other thread Harry!!!:thumbup:

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
vinnymac said:
one grip about this write up. that is the comment on that idiotic grounding throw. he was trying to save a sack and get the ball to james. even if it was with his left hand. i know if warner would have completed that throw everyone would be saying "what a great play by warner". so spare me the idotic comments when a player is trying hard to win the game.

After watching Plummer, McCown and Blake all make disastrous mistakes trying the same thing (more than once for each guy and several returned for TDs) I'd much rather see Warner tuck it in a situation like that. Sometimes, the best move is to avoid making a bad play worse. It wouldn't make me doubt his competitiveness at all.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
ReddBird said:
And I loved watching the Edge run. Yeah, he didn't get a hundred yards -- but put Shipp or Arrington in his place, I don't think we get 30 yards.

The guy is literally a grinder. He simply does not go down on first contact. Hold your blocks and he will find the hole and gain positive yds.

PortlandCardFan

Reaction score
lobo said:
here here harry!! thanks so much.... i guess every team has issues but in your commentary what was most troublesome was your observation that the same errors are occuring again vis a vis blocking assignments...

we know that the coaches watched the same film...many times over and we can expect that they will address what you noted.

I think it has to do with shuffling the OL around. Let them be for 3 or 4 games a see what happens.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
vinnymac said:

I'll go along with Harry on this one. That idiotic play was Plummerish and could have cost us the game.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
vinnymac said:
so spare me the idotic comments when a player is trying hard to win the game.

just because someone is trying hard to win doesn't mean that they can't make a stupid choice. Harry was just call that play what it was.

Tony W

Ride it like u stole it!!!!!!!
Reaction score
ReddBird said:
I agree with your comments on Rolle. Because of his draft position, alot of us want him to dazzle from Game One. I think he's got solid talent and will only get better.

Nice update.

Does anyone else think he plays too far off his recievers? Granted no one gets by him after they make the catch but here's a novel idea........don't let them catch it at all..........just my honest opinion.

Reaction score
Harry said:
9. Green can really hit, but he needs to focus on coverage a little more.
Green made some good hits last week. He has great speed and is a decent cover corner...

Now if he will just learn when to turn and look for the ball he could become great. He never seems to get his head turned around until the ball is already there. Hopefully they are working on this...

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I saw the same things Harry. Nice job.

Did anyone else feel like they were about to have an epileptic seizure watching the plays rattle off so rapidly - one right after the other?

Also - I noticed my DVR is automatically setting up in advance its recording of the 30-minute rapid-replay for our next upcoming opponent (in this case, the Rams). How cool is that?

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lobo said:

The coaches have been seeing these mistakes for two years on film and they have yet to be corrected. Why should we believe they will be now?

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Shane H said:
The coaches have been seeing these mistakes for two years on film and they have yet to be corrected. Why should we believe they will be now?

Pressure, the honeymoon is over. He knew the first 2 years and tried to be a players coach because he knew he wasn't going to fired.

He knows he can be fired after this season and you can tell he feels the pressure (just look at his press conferences thus far).

Thats my theory anyways ... could be wrong.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Evil Ash said:
Pressure, the honeymoon is over. He knew the first 2 years and tried to be a players coach because he knew he wasn't going to fired.

He knows he can be fired after this season and you can tell he feels the pressure (just look at his press conferences thus far).

Thats my theory anyways ... could be wrong.

I hope your right ash I really do!

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
Harry said:
6. The defensive tackles failed to hold the line on blocking plays and were typically handled by one-on-one blocking. No one anchored worth a hoot.

11. The Cards failed to collapse the pocket and there was rarely more than one defender pressuring the QB, which made sacks hard to come by since Smith is very mobile. Except for the fumble, Dockett was invisible.

I was very dissapointed in how the DT's played. I know SF upgraded their OL but that is no excuse to be completetly manhandled at the LOS. If they don't learn from this game, it will be a very long season.

I am growing very sick of Dockett. The only time he contributes is when he's ankle biting a QB 5 yards out of bounds. He refused to line up across from Larry Allen and still played like crap when Allen went down with an injury. He aggravates the hell outta me

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Great Post, Harry. Watched the game last night and think you're spot on basicly on all points.

One thing that I noticed during the game. I might be reading way to much into this, but it seem to me that the pressure on Warner decreased when Bergen came in. Just that one catch (the non TD) was enough to keep more guys in coverage. I'm supecting Bergen is much better than Pope recognizing the D and adjusting to it, because it appeared that Warner suddenly had a hot-read and released the ball much quicker, when Bergen came in.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Shane H said:

Thought the exact same thing when I read that.

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
PortlandCardFan said:
I think it has to do with shuffling the OL around. Let them be for 3 or 4 games a see what happens.

i agree...here is a crazy thought...if i were king of the forest i would give all the OL a hearing test....maybe that is the problem for the false starts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05