Aldridge chat

sunsfn

Reaction score
If the suns trade Marion for someone other than McGrady, it will be someone llike Bryon Colangelo said. Veteran for leadership.
Who that is I do not know?
Illgauskus is a good player, but I would not call him a leader, and that is what Bryan wants. (verbal leader)

:cool:

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My guess is the Suns trade Marion to the Lakers for Kobe so he can sign for more. It will also benefit us as it will allow us to also sign Okur. JJ moves to SF to replace Marion. Just a guess, but is it realistic?

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
KloD said:
My guess is the Suns trade Marion to the Lakers for Kobe so he can sign for more. It will also benefit us as it will allow us to also sign Okur. JJ moves to SF to replace Marion. Just a guess, but is it realistic?

Not a chance in hell. The Los Angeles Lakers are not going to help their division foe by clearing Shawn Marion's contract from the Suns salary cap while giving them one of the best players in the game.

Let's just say for arguments sake that Kobe Bryant went to the Lakers and said, "I'm signing with the Phoenix Suns." Of course we are also assuming that the Phoenix Suns have cleared enough salary cap to sign him for a free agent maximum contract. At the very least the Lakers would want Shawn Marion and Joe Johnson in a sign and trade. I'm not even sure that would get it done.

Joe Mama

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
At the very least the Lakers would want Shawn Marion and Joe Johnson in a sign and trade. I'm not even sure that would get it done.

Joe Mama

And unless Kobe put pressure on the suns, they would never get it.

I think it is unlikely that the Lakers would want Marion back, but who knows. I mean we really don't have an idea of what kind of GM Mitch Kupchak is. We know he wants to win, and deal with established players, not young guys.

We also know for the next 3 years, or more is Shaq signs an extension, the rest of their contracts are pretty irrelevent. If Kobe leaves, I would think they would lock up Shaq, or deal him pretty soon. If their plan is to resign Shaq, then it isn't out of the question IMO. I mean Shawn would be pretty effective, and would defer to Shaq all the time.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I really can't see the Lakers doing a sign and trade within the West, much less within the Pacific Division. They'd want to send him to the East so they would only have to play him twice a year.

Errntknght

Reaction score
I know the Lakers are saying they'll never do a sign and trade with Kobe, but common sense says they would once they knew they were going to lose him. Anyway, suppose they would trade Kobe for Shawn and JJ, with JJ having signed an extension. How many people here would do that trade? My vote would be no, in case anyone's interested... (This is assuming that we cannot get Kobe any other way.)

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Errntknght said:
I know the Lakers are saying they'll never do a sign and trade with Kobe, but common sense says they would once they knew they were going to lose him. Anyway, suppose they would trade Kobe for Shawn and JJ, with JJ having signed an extension. How many people here would do that trade? My vote would be no, in case anyone's interested... (This is assuming that we cannot get Kobe any other way.)

I'm not sure Kobe would want to come if Shawn and JJ aren't here. There is no way that you can replace what JJ does for what he makes. Kobe wants to be the team leader, but he wants to do it with a strong supporting cast. The drop off on free agents after Kobe is pretty steep.