Amare and the Playoffs

cobbler

Registered
Reaction score
I think a lot of the Amare being a terrible rebounder stuff gets brought up because he has set the bar so high on the offensive end. Yes he may be 8th or 9th in rebounding and the numbers when compared to the better rebounders are close. However, he has distanced himself from those others by a wide margin on the offensive end and people expect the defensive end to follow suit. Add to that, the highlight above the rim dunks that he creates so often and people wonder why he cannot grab EVERY REBOUND. It's all perception and the numbers as Steel has pointed out....show that.

It all about being mentally prepared to play D, blocking out, and desire. On another note, and i hedge to even mention it fearing a backlash, but on offense your are creating and he knows what he wants and is going to do. Defense is reactionary, you have adapt and make quick decisions. Maybe Amare, and this is NOT a dig, just isnt a quick thinker?

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think a lot of the Amare being a terrible rebounder stuff gets brought up because he has set the bar so high on the offensive end. Yes he may be 8th or 9th in rebounding and the numbers when compared to the better rebounders are close. However, he has distanced himself from those others by a wide margin on the offensive end and people expect the defensive end to follow suit. Add to that, the highlight above the rim dunks that he creates so often and people wonder why he cannot grab EVERY REBOUND.

It all about being mentally prepared to play D, blocking out, and desire. On another note, and i hedge to even mention it fearing a backlash, but on offense your are creating and he knows what he wants and is going to do. Defense is reactionary, you have adapt and make quick decisions. Maybe Amare, and this is NOT a dig, just isnt a quick thinker?

No backlash. That is very good possibility. Amare might not have great instincts when it comes to defense. Also, I don't think playing out of position this entire time has helped his overall development on the defensive front. So that is a very realistic possibility IMO.

I think you also bring up a good point in regards to his rebounding that expectations are through the roof. I think you might be right that often the media thinks Amare should get every single rebound as you stated. The reality is he is separated by only about 1 per game from the rest of the top 5.

Good points.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No backlash. That is very good possibility. Amare might not have great instincts when it comes to defense. Also, I don't think playing out of position this entire time has helped his overall development on the defensive front. So that is a very realistic possibility IMO.

yeah, I don't know if all the blame is on Amare. Personally, I don't think he's the most cerebral player on the court (judging from his reactions on D, accumulation of just incredibly stupid fouls, and letting teams (aka the Spurs) get into his head, but I also think this coaching staff just doesn't teach (or teach enough) basic defensive fundamentals and with Amare having made the jump straight from high school, that basically means he's never learned them. Neither of those factors have helped him develop skills that he needs to become mentioned amongst the elite of the elite.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah, I don't know if all the blame is on Amare. Personally, I don't think he's the most cerebral player on the court (judging from his reactions on D, accumulation of just incredibly stupid fouls, and letting teams (aka the Spurs) get into his head, but I also think this coaching staff just doesn't teach (or teach enough) basic defensive fundamentals and with Amare having made the jump straight from high school, that basically means he's never learned them. Neither of those factors have helped him develop skills that he needs to become mentioned amongst the elite of the elite.

That's a great point. Skipping college that coming to a team thats entire system was based on offense and running....exactly when is Amare suppose to get the direction he needs. I think Treesquid touched on that as well.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you know what's really weird? I've been watching Amare for his entire career and I never remembered thinking he was atrocious defensively until this season... and I do think that watching him play now. I mean, this was his worst statistical year rebounding, but I... eh who cares. Bring on the playoffs already!

phxrising

Registered
Reaction score
could he have fared any worse?

I'm curious to see those numbers. Not because I don't believe you, just because I haven't seen them and maybe my perception of him is still rooted in the beyond pathetic D he was playing when matched up against Cs.

The media doesn't call those guys out because a) Amare is an acknowledged unstoppable force who gets his points against anyone and everyone and b) because there's very few players in the league with as much skill/talent/athleticism as Amare. Amare's supposed to have those huge games., thus it's not out of the norm and attention isn't drawn to his defender. What's not supposed to happen is that every guy he goes up against does better than what they usually do. That's why he gets the criticism. I don't see why you don't understand that.

good point nut this is not only Amare, the Suns all year have had that problem at every position thought the season.

AfroSuns

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you know what's really weird? I've been watching Amare for his entire career and I never remembered thinking he was atrocious defensively until this season... and I do think that watching him play now. I mean, this was his worst statistical year rebounding, but I... eh who cares. Bring on the playoffs already!

Let's not forget this is a guy who returned from macrofracture knee surgery, his explosivess may have diminished but i am sure any team would be greatfull for the current Amare, as long as the role players step up and play their part, The suns can beat any team in the playoff.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake