Amare enjoying his fame

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
s

Amare Stoudemire is standing in the center of a room filled with toy guns, football helmets, baseball gloves, hockey sticks and enough basketball shoes to make a Foot Locker. Usually, the sight of all this gear hanging from every inch of a closet-sized space would be enough of an attention grabber. As it is, the man in the middle of it all is struggling to get his 6-10, 245-pound frame into a black body suit. When he finishes, Stoudemire looks like he's about to go scuba diving as he tugs on his neck line, trying to get some air. "This thing is real tight," he says. "And real hot too."

Stoudemire is going through this for a motion capture session at the Sony Computer Entertainment studios in San Diego for his new video game, NBA '06, which will be released next month. While the other toys in the room were used for past motion capture sessions on games such as SOCOM: US Navy SEALs, MLB '06 and Gretzky NHL '06, Stoudemire doesn't need any accessories when he's all suited up. "Being on the cover of a video game is big," Stoudemire says. "It's like being on the cover of a magazine. You're in elite company. I remember growing up, the guy on the cover was the one that you wanted to play with and now I'm that guy."

Before hitting the makeshift court, set up in the center of the warehouse-sized studio, Stoudemire stands still while dozens of small reflective balls or "markers" are attached to his body suit -- from the top of the black skull cap he's wearing to the heels of his size-17 Jordans. With more than 40 cameras situated around the court to capture his every move, the motion capture team, comprised of three men sitting in front of their respective computers, is able to get an accurate reproduction of how Stoudemire does what he does best.

The markers outlining his body record each move on the computer screens. Like a movie producer, the man behind the first computer raises his hand and says, "Action!" and Stoudemire showcases his moves, from a sweet mid-range jumper, to a monstrous tomahawk jam that nearly knocks over the basket and few pricey cameras in the process. "The graphics in these games are crazy now," Stoudemire says. "I used to play Bulls versus Blazers on Sega Genesis when I was growing up, but now the games are so realistic and now you can see know why."

After leading the Suns to a league-best 62-20 record and into the Western Conference Finals where he averaged 37 points and nine rebounds per game last season, Stoudemire has enjoyed the perks of being one of the NBA's newest stars this offseason. His schedule has included everything from posing for magazine covers to getting a lap dance from Destiny's Child at a recent concert in Phoenix. "There's a lot of things coming my way because of the success that I've had," says Stoudemire. "But I always knew I was going to be successful because I worked so hard at it, so whatever opportunities come my way I try to take advantage of them."

The biggest opportunity Stoudemire will take advantage of in the near future is his contract, which expires after next season. Stoudemire looks to improve upon his rookie deal, which will pay him about $2.6 million next season. He could sign a five-year $72.6 million contract -- the most Phoenix can offer the all-star power forward under the new collective-bargaining agreement.
Although Stoudemire will make more money staying in Phoenix than if he goes to another team, he says he won't completely close the door on possible suitors. The highest-profile team on that list is the Los Angeles Lakers, who have worked in earnest this summer to clear as much cap room as possible for the 2007 off-season, refusing to sign any new players for more than two years."I'm a businessman," says Stoudemire. "I'm going to listen but I already know what they got to say, 'Amare, we want to give you the max.'"

While the Suns contract would be slightly more lucrative than the Lakers', many people believe the money lost on the contract can be replaced with the endorsements and acting gigs that come with playing in a big city such as Los Angeles.

"It's true," says Stoudemire, whose favorite vacation spot is California's sun-kissed Malibu Beach. "I think New York and LA are the two highest market cities and both of those places are great as far as opportunities go off the court."

Although Stoudemire might be the top player on many teams' wish lists, it would still be a major surprise to most -- even him -- if he weren't wearing a Suns' uniform for the foreseeable future. "I'm happy here," says Stoudemire. "My focus is on the Suns and doing big things with this team."

As Stoudemire wraps up his motion capture session, he doesn't miss the opportunity to hit a few shots from the outside before calling it a day with one last powerful dunk. "I'm always improving my skills and they never have me as good as I should be in the game," he says. "So now they got a sneak peak at what I got going on, but the video game version of me will never be as good as the real me. It can't, I'm real-life flesh and blood baby."

The only drawback to being the real Stoudemire these days is getting into -- and now out of -- that pesky skin-tight body suit.

Two things come to mind after reading this:

1) What does Jay-z think about this?

2) I'm not sure how to take this article. It says good thing about the suns but I have never heard him be so open about playing for another team either,,,,,,,,

Skratchy_Seal

Registered
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1) I'm sure Jay-Z was sitting right next to him, and enjoying the show as well. :)

2) I wouldn't worry too much about it. It sounds like he's just telling it how it is. I can't disagree with anything he said.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Link?

This is NOT a good article for Suns fans. He is supposed to be signing an extension right now. The fact that he is talking about other teams at this point cannot be interpreted any other way.

Does this article originate in LA? It seems like its purpose is to sway Amare some.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I have to agree, the article raises concerns. But you know what? There's nothing we can do about it. Stoudemire could also suffer a career-ending injury, or suddenly lose his motivation, Ricky Williams-style. So let's just enjoy the ride for as long as he plays in Phoenix.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
To tell you the truth I think Amare really does want to play with Kobe. Their work ethics are the same, and it is important to both players that everyone works as hard as them (see Shaq and Marbury).

Not to mention Amare has said Kobe is the best player in the NBA.

It is all moot though, I don't think I have ever heard a free agent close the door on signing somewhere else before the ink dries. Amare will ink here, simple as that.

playstation

Selfless Service
Reaction score
if he stays he stays, if he goes he goes. I am now an amare stoudemire fan. there are some players that you're just a fan of no matter where they play. he's that for me. up there with lebron, shaq, and KG.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
playstation said:
if he stays he stays, if he goes he goes. I am now an amare stoudemire fan. there are some players that you're just a fan of no matter where they play. he's that for me. up there with lebron, shaq, and KG.

not me. If he somehow left the Phoenix Suns he would be public enemy #1. I would hate him more than Karl Malone, Gary Payton, Carmelo Anthony, Jason Kidd, Sam Cassell, Latrell Sprewell, Larry Brown, Antoine Walker, and Kobe Bryant combined. To be quite honest I love Amare Stoudemire on the basketball court, but otherwise I don't think the lot of him. His ego is out of control.

If Amare Stoudemire leaves I'll get an Amare voodoo doll and light fires under it's crotch daily.

Joe Mama

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
If Amare Stoudemire leaves I'll get an Amare voodoo doll and light fires under its crotch daily.

I have a hunch that this is what would happen:

Stoudemire looks like he's about to go platform diving as he tugs on his waistband, trying to clear some room. "This thing is real tight," he says. "And real hot too."

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
not me. If he somehow left the Phoenix Suns he would be public enemy #1. I would hate him more than Karl Malone, Gary Payton, Carmelo Anthony, Jason Kidd, Sam Cassell, Latrell Sprewell, Larry Brown, Antoine Walker, and Kobe Bryant combined. To be quite honest I love Amare Stoudemire on the basketball court, but otherwise I don't think the lot of him. His ego is out of control.

If Amare Stoudemire leaves I'll get an Amare voodoo doll and light fires under it's crotch daily.

Joe Mama

The amare bashing has begun, it is not amare's fault if he leaves it is everyones favorite Wildcats' fault the most defended man in Phoenix Mr. Foamy, if he can't keep his players what does that say about him? oh I know he paid $400M for the Suns big freaking deal, I dont give a damn what you and your investment buddies paid! It is time to step up foamy not all of us are going to give you a free ride anymore...hey we have Kurt thomas and boris diaw, god bless you bobby.

No excuses, you can't hide behind the spin on Amare.

Last edited:

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
and another thing I don't care if he "wants to be here or not if he tries tobolt next year you match, none of that don't want to be here crap don't want to pay him crap.

400m lol what a freaking joke I can't believe this guy is getting a free pass on this...talk about pulling the wool over your eyes.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
You are being ridiculous. Sarver will send Amare a max contract, that is all he can do. The jury is still out on whether the Suns will be better next year or not.

Not to mention Amare knows full well about JJ's desires to be the man and not be in the shadows. He said as much in an interview a month ago or so.

In other words, if Amare leaves it is totally on him. You cannot point the blame at Sarver for that one, doing so would only point to your own ignorance.

scotsman13

Reaction score
Treesquid said:
The amare bashing has begun, it is not amare's fault if he leaves it is everyones favorite Wildcats' fault the most defended man in Phoenix Mr. Foamy, if he can't keep his players what does that say about him? oh I know he paid $400M for the Suns big freaking deal, I dont give a damn what you and your investment buddies paid! It is time to step up foamy not all of us are going to give you a free ride anymore...hey we have Kurt thomas and boris diaw, god bless you bobby.

dang squid it is time to get over it. jj is gone. there is no clue, no hint, nothing that sarver isnt willing to give amare the max contact, right now. heck as a matter of fact what we have heard that amare wants a opt out after 3 years of the new contact, so that he can sign for a bigger one.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Treesquid, Amare Stoudemire said a couple weeks ago that he loves Sarver. I believe he said something about the owner being like a best pal. Amare goes with him to Wall Street. He goes on recruiting trips with him. He tells management and he wants Kurt Thomas and it's done.

I guarantee they asked Amare his opinion about the JJ situation. I seriously doubt Amare put up much of a fight to keep JJ. Furthermore even Sarver has acknowledged that it was a mistake not to re-sign JJ last summer for the $50 million. He gets a pass because there were legitimate concerns about giving JJ that contract, especially with the rest of the team was locked into big, long-term deals.

Amare will sign the extension as long as the Phoenix Suns gave him that three-year option he wants. He knows the Phoenix Suns will match any offer for him, and he isn't going to risk two more seasons without a long-term deal to get away. In 4 years it's another story. The summer of 2009 will be incredibly stressful for the Phoenix Suns and their fans.

Joe Mama

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Treesquid said:
and another thing I don't care if he "wants to be here or not if he tries tobolt next year you match, none of that don't want to be here crap don't want to pay him crap.

400m lol what a freaking joke I can't believe this guy is getting a free pass on this...talk about pulling the wool over your eyes.

I'm with you.
If Amare leaves Sarver has to take responsibility.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Treesquid said:

All of your posts are filled with such hatred. :shrug:

OP
OP
Arizona's Finest

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Most likely Amare is just playing the free agent get as much leverage as possible game ( i know there is a limit to what he can get financially but its in his best interests to drive up the price as much as possible) Its also likley that the article was written with an LA spin (even though its cnnsi.com) becuse of the large readership out there.

What worries me is how much time he spends in SOcal (seems alot like the shaq situation minus the crappy movies) and I do think that Amare respects Kobe.

The bottom line is this It is Sarver's fault if he leaves. I know Sarver is doing everything in his power (or so reports say) but he needs to make this the most comfortable, profitable and winning situation for the next two years and really he should get his signature on the dotted line NOW. If he cant do it now, its his job to make this the most desirable place to play for Amare so he wouldn't even think of taking less money elsewhere. That is in Sarver's control.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
How is it in Sarver's control? You make it sound like all the owner has to do is spend money and try real hard, and the team will be great. News flash: At least 20 other owners in the league are trying to do exactly the same thing, and only a few of them wind up with elite teams.

Quit looking for someone to blame everything on. If Stoudemire leaves, it's because he wants to leave. Ultimately it's his decision. That is how free agency works.

OP
OP
Arizona's Finest

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
elindholm said:
How is it in Sarver's control? You make it sound like all the owner has to do is spend money and try real hard, and the team will be great. News flash: At least 20 other owners in the league are trying to do exactly the same thing, and only a few of them wind up with elite teams.

Quit looking for someone to blame everything on. If Stoudemire leaves, it's because he wants to leave. Ultimately it's his decision. That is how free agency works.

Eric its on management to making this an atmosphere he wants to play in. If he leaves its becuse he thinks he has a better chance to win w/ Phil and Kobe (and maybe rightfully so). Its not just about "spend money and trying real hard"..Notice how guys like TD and KG stay in their smaller cities becuse the teams do everything in their power to keep them. We have to develop a similar atmosphere.

You dont think management had anything to do with Joe leaving? In hindsight we are better off for it and no one can fault Sarver for not giving Joe 50 million last year but that won't hold water with Amare. Joe percieved that their were numerous slights of him over the last year. Right or wrong, Sarver needs to have a better touch with his players because he sure as hell seemed shocked when that bit of news came out.

They need to drop rose petals to and from the arena for Amare, give him his own street name and bring in every player Amare wants. It is in Sarvers control, and it starts now. I dont need anyone to blame, but free agency is a persuasion game and we have a head start. If he leaves, Sarver, Colangelo, and STAT will all have culpibility. But no one will look worse to Suns fans than Sarver. And that is just the hard truth.

Quit defending EVERYTHING the guy does like he can do no wrong. Yes, I too was impressed by his interview, Yes i think he really wants to win. But Yes I do think that he has things he doesn't know how to handle yet, and im not going to give him a free pass if Amare walks. He will make great moves and he will make mistakes. He will be lauded for his good moves and skewered for his failures. Amare leaving would be an unequivocal failure. But he doesn't walk on water and you shouldn't treat him as such.

Kolo

Reaction score
Arizona's Finest said:
Its not just about "spend money and trying real hard"..Notice how guys like TD and KG stay in their smaller cities becuse the teams do everything in their power to keep them. We have to develop a similar atmosphere.

Notice how Shaq burned the Magic in '94, going from a promising young team to a rebuilding one because he wanted to live in L.A.

OP
OP
Arizona's Finest

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Kolobotomy said:
Notice how Shaq burned the Magic in '94, going from a promising young team to a rebuilding one because he wanted to live in L.A.

yeah that "rebuilding" team didn't turn out to well, did they.....:rolleyes: ?

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Notice how guys like TD and KG stay in their smaller cities becuse the teams do everything in their power to keep them. We have to develop a similar atmosphere.

Duncan's team had already won a title by the time he hit unrestricted free agency. If the Suns win the title within the next few years, that will help a lot.

I don't expect Garnett to last through his current contract. I think he'll demand a trade, once this year's team starts struggling, and get it, probably within a year and a half.

Joe percieved that their were numerous slights of him over the last year. Right or wrong, Sarver needs to have a better touch with his players because he sure as hell seemed shocked when that bit of news came out.

You act like you've never dealt with a hypertalented, aloof hotshot whose mind is in constant confusion about how to find the best combination of success and "respect." When someone is that screwed up and full of himself, there isn't a lot you can do. Sarver's "shock" might have been legitimate, or it might have been spin, but who cares? Johnson had made up his mind.

They need to drop rose petals to and from the arena for Amare, give him his own street name and bring in every player Amare wants.

Not necessarily. Stoudemire's personnel moves might hurt the franchise, as when Kidd instructed the Nets to get Mourning. That move blew up in their faces, and probably even Kidd now wishes that he'd kept his mouth shut. But in general, yes, they should be tuned in to what Stoudemire thinks is best for the team, because his opinion is important.

Quit defending EVERYTHING the guy does like he can do no wrong.

This comes completely out of left field. All I'm doing is saying that he's not responsible for everything that does go wrong. I think Sarver is a goof who doesn't have a clear idea of what he's doing. His decisions have, for the most part, been pretty good, but that's probably more by accident than due to any profound vision or wisdom.

But get a grip -- he's just the majority owner. He's not God or even the general manager. It's not his fault if the scoreboard lights go out, or someone's jersey doesn't fit right, or if it's 105 degrees outside at tipoff and the fans are all grouchy. And if Stoudemire somehow gets it into his head that he simply has to go to Los Angeles in order to fulfill his promise, that's not Sarver's fault either.

Kolo

Reaction score
Arizona's Finest said:
yeah that "rebuilding" team didn't turn out to well, did they.....:rolleyes: ?

The point being (I thought it couldn't be more obvious), no matter what potential a team has or what it offers in terms of money or straight groveling, if a player really wants to go to L.A. (or anywhere else, for that matter) and a max contract is there for the taking, he'll go. I think Sarver's doing everything he can to keep Amare, from letting him ring the bell at the NYSE to kissing his ass as a player at every opportunity. We'll offer him a max contract, but if L.A. has cap room and Amare is a free agent wants to play with Kobe and in front of Jack Nicholson and star in Kazaam II, he'll sign with the Lakers. And I'll throw up in my mouth.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Kolobotomy said:
The point being (I thought it couldn't be more obvious), no matter what potential a team has or what it offers in terms of money or straight groveling, if a player really wants to go to L.A. (or anywhere else, for that matter) and a max contract is there for the taking, he'll go. I think Sarver's doing everything he can to keep Amare, from letting him ring the bell at the NYSE to kissing his ass as a player at every opportunity. We'll offer him a max contract, but if L.A. has cap room and Amare is a free agent wants to play with Kobe and in front of Jack Nicholson and star in Kazaam II, he'll sign with the Lakers. And I'll throw up in my mouth.
I agree.

If it comes down to a restricted free agent contract offer, like JJ, and Amare said he wanted to play in LA, Sarver wouldn't even blink, he'd say he's matching. There's a big difference between a potential first ballot hall of fame in the making PF and a developing two guard with a fragile ego.

That's the reason it was too risky to sign JJ at $70 million. The guy is too big a risk. Amare at $72 million seems like a bargain. People are putting too much emphasis using the JJ free agency experience on Amare's status. BIG difference to me. ;)

OP
OP
Arizona's Finest

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
I dont think Amare will leave.... (theres alot of money on the table and we have shown to do everything in our power to win) but you assume Amare will be dead set on going to LA at the beginning of this season and then take off as soon as he gets the chance. My point is that what happens from this point on (and we have no idea, it could be really bad or really good) will determine Amare's decision on where he goes either next year or when he get UFA. If we have a winning contending team, we pay him, and afford him whatever else he deems necessary for him to remain in Phoenix, he will stay.

Amare and Shaq is a good comparison becuse if he leaves for any reason, our franchise is set back 5-10 years just as the Orlando Magic are only finally getting it together. Joe might be a different situation entirely, but history is bound to repeat itself if you make the same mistakes. As of now i see no reason Amare should leave as he is very comfortable. That comfortability needs to be maintained at its highest level until he signs for the max. He is a once in a decade player and the biggest young talent the Suns have ever had. Sarver has a hand dealt to him right now, and the moves he makes will be important to how the rest of the game plays out. I'm not assuming Sarver has the powers of God, I just think the decision has more to do with what Sarver does than you do.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake