Amare enjoying his fame

Neo

Red Tape Sorter
Reaction score
elindholm said:
I'm thinking of an opinion right now. It's two words, the first of which is four letters and begins with F...

Figs Rule?
Fish smell?
Fans rant?
Fibs deceive?
Fins stabilize?
Fads change?
Feds overstep?

These are all opinions that meet the description. I am at a loss for what the opinion could be.

On the other hand, I can think of an exclamation or invective that fits quite well.

OP
OP
Arizona's Finest

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
I am all for discourse....whats funny is while im not taking sunsfn's extreme view, no one seems to comment on any of my lengthy threads that are playing the devils advocate. Any points any one wants to refute from what i have said in this thread????

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Any points any one wants to refute from what i have said in this thread????

You mean besides the "Everything is Sarver's fault" angle? I've already written as extensive a refutation of that as I can.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
and he cut some administrative staff.

It is "claimed" he reduced the advance scouting staff and relied more on analyzing tapes. Obviously this had terrible impact on a team that won 62 and got to conference finals.

The administrative staff was not drastically reduced. All of the big name people, sans Chapman, are still in office. In fact, David Griffin has recieved a promotion bumping his pay scale up even more.

Chapman was removed because of conflict with Bryan.

He didn't understand why the scouts needed to travel when they could watch the video on TV. The scouts however never stopped traveling, Todd Quinter still goes on the road constantly. So while he didn't feel it was necessary to pay for the road trips he went along with the Cs and still sent everyone.

AZfinest, let me take a chance to reply to some of your points:

Nash and Q = Trading draft picks, not giving Joe 50 million

You can only count the draft pick as being traded once. Essentially they traded Q and their 2004 #7 pick for Kurt Thomas. Of course we had to trade the pick in order to sign Q in the first place.

Looking back this was simply a judgement call. It was also done before Sarver was in any sort of control (over a week before the deal closed). BC and JC wanted the cap space and figured the guy they wanted (Iggy) wasn't going to be there. Most mock drafts had him going anywhere from 3-5, so I can understand why they didn't think he would fall. They should have done better homework though.

To be honest I don't think the Suns would have given Joe 50 million dollars even if they didn't sign Q. It was a very high risk signing, and no one expected his value to baloon that much. I think I put the highest number out there in the beginning of the season for Joe (6 years, 60 million) and all but 1 or 2 people laughed me off. Turns out that number was way too low.

KT = getting rid of Q's contract

Getting rid of Qs contract wasn't a good thing for them to do. Q had a large signing bonus, and a trade kicker for 2.5 million dollars. So while looking at the cap numbers on hoopshype it looks like the Suns saved money, they broke even at best.

Remember what Sarver said about how you can't trade a player with a big upfront payment for a couple of years in order to make any sense? Well he violated his own rule in an effort to make Amare happy. He traded away a young player for an aging veteran and didn't even save a bunch of money like people suggest.

Bell = letting JJ walk (u can argue this but once again we have no idea of the mans real intentions, and you cant argue that one happened before the other)

I can argue what happened first quite easily. The Suns were very very intent on getting into conversations with Joe. It is all well documented. If they signed Bell to let JJ walk then why would they even bother to extend him an offer? Why would they go through all the effort (and money) in order to get him to resign?

I guess it could all be part of a giant master plan, but that is almost as far fetched as thinking Sarver is going to undercut Amare in contract negotiations.

He has proved to be cheap in day to day moves so it would be safe to say money is a concern in every endeavor. And he wont even get near the luxury tax.

Who cares if he won't go near the luxury tax? Only about 5 teams in the league will lose money due to the tax this season (when you account for the rebates). Only 2 of those 5 teams are competitive.

The argument i have been getting into the most this summer that some people dont seem to get is contracts are paid for EXPECTED production. In other words potential. Kwame Brown was not given 8 million by the Lakers becuse of his sick 4 pt average a game. Its because he has tools to develop and apparently the Lakers think they can get that out of him.

This is true, although it usually doesn't work out. Shawn Marion is the best example I can think of where a guy was paid based on potential, and a lot of people think he is still overpaid.

Also, Kwame may be getting 8 million a year - but he is only getting 16 million total. That is a far cry from 72 million. Not to mention LA doesn't exactly have a great track record with FA signings.

Bottom line: Joe should have been paid last year. Now hindsight is 20/20, but im convinced most NBA basketball people saw what i saw in Joe, and Sarver paid no mind.

Basketball people saw the good in Joe, they always have. There is a reason he was a lottery pick.

Of course most basketball people saw the bad in Joe too. If you put any other owner in Sarver's exact shoes I don't think that they would jump at the opportunity to have paid him last summer. In fact I bet the number is very small.

It was an understandable mistake by Sarver based on flawwed logic ("he isn't a star, i have already paid for Nash and Q")

This is ridiculous. It is cap suicide to lock in a starting 5 with the lowest contract being 7 million a year. Not to mention that there was a new owner and the team was coming off a dismal season.

It may have been a mistake, but it was based on very good logic.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Shawn Marion is the best example I can think of where a guy was paid based on potential

Maybe you meant just on the Suns, but league-wide, the best example is McGrady. Chandler might become another good example, but we'll have to wait and see.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
elindholm said:
Shawn Marion is the best example I can think of where a guy was paid based on potential

Maybe you meant just on the Suns, but league-wide, the best example is McGrady. Chandler might become another good example, but we'll have to wait and see.

Good call on Mcgrady.

Chandler and Daly both fit into the same catagory. I love both of them but I think the only way they will be worth their deals is if you count in the bonus for being 7 feet tall.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Right, especially with Dalembert. Really, overpaying seven-footers is so routine that one even wonders whether it's based on "potential" at all, or just the vague hope that the player will continue to look competent when given playing time.

sunsfn

Reaction score
My guests have left, and I have read all of this thread again and I think it is time to end it. (for me that is)

There is no sense in hashing this over and over.

I see Joe Johnson as a 6’8” off guard that is an all star caliber player, and can do things that not many other off guards can do, and Is still improving on his game. I thought he would be with the suns for years and help them win an NBA championship.

I see Sarver as a person that has a very large ego and is “conservative”.

I had written a long post about the spurs and baseball players incidents, and my banking experience, but deleted it because it would probably bore you and it does not matter at this point.

When it comes to the Sarver/JJ 50 mil contract, "Some" :) of my posts on this subject have probably not been open minded because of my negative impression of Sarver, and my high regards for JJ as a basketball player.
My inpression of Sarver is not going to change any time soon because of the many experiences that I had during my 10 year banking career. I will remain a strong suns fan and continue to watch all the games and hopefully Sarver will do something that will change my mind about him.
------------------------------------------------------
Unfortunately sunsfn has already said he's out. Since he got the last word, that automatically means he wins the argument.

Too bad we didn't think of that trick. :rockon:
--------------------------------------------------------
I probably should not have come back then……..but said I would.

So elindholm, here is your chance to win this argument by posting last. :)

-

az240zz

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
devilalum said:
I'm with you.
If Amare leaves Sarver has to take responsibility.

So he takes respnsibility, whats he gonna do, Fire himself.

a team owner taking resposiblity what a joke :biglaugh: :( :biglaugh: :( :biglaugh:

az24-z

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake