Amare looks done

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Even as someone who was against resigning him I did not expect him to decline so rapidly. He looks like he has lost several steps over the last year.

His old method of blowing by guys to the right from the top of the key move only leads to turnovers now. Unless he ends up with a cleared out lane the only move he goes to is a mid range jumper and even that is not as effective now that guys arnt afraid of him blowing past them so they can get in his face. His rebounding has gone into the toilet and he appears to be even worse defensively than ever. He doesnt even try to close out on shooters most of the time... I guess just to save energy.

The biggest sign that he has lot a ton of athleticism is he is getting blocked at a higher rate than any player in the league. Something like 12% of his shots are getting stuffed right now. Thats absurd, especially for a guy who is 6'10" and mostly shooting jumpers.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
In fairness, those same things about Stoudemire were all true during his last couple of years in Phoenix too -- it's just that his partnership with Nash partly covered them up.

cly2tw

Reaction score
He was a force last season for the Knicks until Melo trade and injury in playoffs. But this season, he becomes more stiff in his upper body and arms, and a lot slower and less explosive. That additional 20 pounds seem to really hurt him. Too bad.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He added alot of weight over the summer (almost 20 lbs.). I can't understand that. He says its muscle, but even if it is, he knees cannot take the extra stress. That upper body muscle takes away quickness.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is why I thought it was interesting that when the Suns played them earlier this season that the announcers spoke to D'Antoni and D'Antoni said Amare will take games off throughout the season to rest his knees.

That told me right there his knees were giving him trouble. Now factor in the horrible tragedy of losing his brother?

Seriously, this might be the beginning of the end for Amare.

Last edited:

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
during his first season with knicks. i think this was on nbaTV, that he was spending a lot of time in the gym. first one there, last one to leave.

i think all the extra work he put is taking it's toll.
so the fact that he put on extra miles and more weight, has shortened his knees life.
he should have thought about what he had with the suns medical staff, but i guess its a trade off for guranteed money.

maybe he knew something we all didnt know...

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO, Amare was wise to take the 100M from NY. Few players can afford to leave that kind of money on the table especially with his medical problems. I understand his contract could not be insured with NY. Before the micro-fracture surgery the Suns had one of the youngest most talented big men in their history.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I can't comment on amare because I have not watched him much. in the game vs dallas he looked like a shell of himself and dirk embarrassed him badly. however, it was one game. there are a lot of players, like dirk to name one, who have been effected by the lockout and it took a while for him to get his game shape. so who knows. that and the knicks are having constant changes going down with lin being added, melo, davis, jr smith, etc. so it's hard to say. this is one that could be best answered by knicks fans perhaps. i know for the mavericks their offseason changes really hurt them. they lost 3 key guys, 4 if you add butler. and then they added 3 guys that play a lot. so it takes time to adjust especially when you literally only have 1 practice session to prepare for your first game. for the knicks they are having major changes midseason if you will.......

Last edited:

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Well, according to Amare himself, his numbers are not down because he is struggling. They are down because he is sacrificing himself for the benefit of his team.
“I’ve spent a year where I’ve pretty much had to sacrifice a lot of my game. Whatever it takes to win. That’s the ultimate goal. If it’s sacrificing the All-Star Game for the betterment of the team, it’s how it goes sometimes.’’
So he's still an all-star, he just chose not to play like one this year for his team's benefit. I guess he needs to do a little more sacrificing then, because the Knicks still have a losing record despite all that sacrifice. Can't quite figure out how shooting a career low 45% from the field is supposed to help the Knicks win games though.

basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/219200/Stoudemire_Willing_To_Sacrifice_Individual_Numbers_For_Knicks

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I couldn't care less if Amare is done or not, the Suns signed Frye, Childress and Warrick to a combined bigger deal than that and those 3 are now dead weight contracts that no team in the NBA will touch.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can live with Frye's salary. At least he contributes. However, it is Childress' salary that really hurts plus of course Warrick.

JustWinBaby

Veteran
Reaction score
I couldn't care less if Amare is done or not, the Suns signed Frye, Childress and Warrick to a combined bigger deal than that and those 3 are now dead weight contracts that no team in the NBA will touch.

We had

Amare
Richardson
Barbosa
Clark - (who cares)
Goran

After all the expert decisions of the front office, we turned that group into

Gortat
Childress
Warrick
Brooks (Still in China)

We had 4 players who are still contributing to a team in the NBA. We turned those players into one player contributing in the NBA, Gortat.

Brilliant

Cannot wait to see what move they will make next, can you?

Magnus

Veteran
Reaction score
Even if they amnesty Gortat I wouldn't be surprised, more like slightly amused. That's how bad I think they are.

I have zero expectations, but maybe that's a good thing, cause it will be so much more awesome if they do something good.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
Well, according to Amare himself, his numbers are not down because he is struggling. They are down because he is sacrificing himself for the benefit of his team.

So he's still an all-star, he just chose not to play like one this year for his team's benefit. I guess he needs to do a little more sacrificing then, because the Knicks still have a losing record despite all that sacrifice. Can't quite figure out how shooting a career low 45% from the field is supposed to help the Knicks win games though.

basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/219200/Stoudemire_Willing_To_Sacrifice_Individual_Numbers_For_Knicks

Lol. A tree in my backyard plays better defense than Amare.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I did not check Fryes numbers but recently he must have gotten over 40% shooting for the season.

His recent shooting pushed him to the 40.5% mark but is still shooting only 33% from the 3.

OP
OP
Phrazbit

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

The Knicks on court/off court defensive stats are stunning, even knowing how bad Amare already was.

The Knicks give up 104.6 poinst per 100 possessions on 51% shooting with Amare in the game, and with Amare out they give up 97.3 points on 46% shooting.

Oh, and on offense the Knicks score 100.4 points on 46.7% shooting WITH Amare and score 104.8 on 48% shooting without him.

So... the Knicks are better both offensively and defensively when Amare is on the bench or not dressed for the game. Pretty pathetic. How anyone can question not handing him 100 mil was the right move is beyond me.

Also Tyson Chandler's foul rate drops dramatically without Amare playing, presumably because he is no longer having to cover 2 players.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
We had

Amare
Richardson
Barbosa
Clark - (who cares)
Goran

After all the expert decisions of the front office, we turned that group into

Gortat
Childress
Warrick
Brooks (Still in China)

We had 4 players who are still contributing to a team in the NBA. We turned those players into one player contributing in the NBA, Gortat.

Brilliant

Cannot wait to see what move they will make next, can you?

LOL you're right. Not a lot to be happy about with ownership/front office and roster. Can't draft for s****it either. At least it seems that way pretty often...

Although I must say Richardson was crap. Missing out on signing Joe Johnson was the worst, but that might be because of his own delusions and hard to overcome.

Of the guys we have out there now I just want to keep Gortat and Keef. Sign Telfair for really cheap and frigging force him to work on shooting.

Nuke everything else. OK maybe hang onto Redd for cheap also. Good to have some veterans on board after Steve Nash (the king!) and Grant Hill retire.

And while everything lays in ruins make $arver the dork sell the team to a nut billionaire like that big baby that runs the Mavericks.

Budden

Registered
Reaction score
No, Amare isn't done. In this second half of the season, his numbers will be significantly improved, he'll regain his leaping ability (compared to last season, not pre-micro, obv), and it'll be evident in both the stat sheet, but more importantly, watching him move.

OP
OP
Phrazbit

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No, Amare isn't done. In this second half of the season, his numbers will be significantly improved, he'll regain his leaping ability (compared to last season, not pre-micro, obv), and it'll be evident in both the stat sheet, but more importantly, watching him move.

And pigs will learn to fly!

Just kidding...

But seriously, expecting a complete reversal of Amare's fortunes is far fetched. He is traveling down a road well worn by other big men with a history of knee problems. But unlike dudes like McDyess, Martin, Garnett who stayed useful as their athleticism faded, Amare has never been a fundamentally sound player. So he does not have good low block moves, or strong rebounding, or defense to fall back on.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score

Also I doubt the tree does the matador move and gets out of the poster when you go in for the slam.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also I doubt the tree does the matador move and gets out of the poster when you go in for the slam.

I'm guessing the tree doesn't yell "And one!" every time it makes a move to the basket.

(It probably doesn't make too many moves to the basket either.)

Lorenzo

Reaction score

lol. where was this guy when he was in phoenix?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake