Amare looks done

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Justifiably overweight, injured back, bad legs, a risky eye situation.

Inconsistent rebounder, lazy on defense.

No matter how it is candy coated, I am glad we didn't sink money into him.

I was an Amare fan when he was here and I'm still mostly an Amare fan but I wholeheartedly agree with you. It would have been foolhardy to sign him to the terms that we offered him let alone the contract the Knicks gave him.

Steve

OP
OP
Phrazbit

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well, Knicks get blown out and Amare struggles against the immortal Andrea Bologna.

But, full disclosure, there are reports that Amare had a big breakfast.

:D

JustWinBaby

Veteran
Reaction score
I was an Amare fan when he was here and I'm still mostly an Amare fan but I wholeheartedly agree with you. It would have been foolhardy to sign him to the terms that we offered him let alone the contract the Knicks gave him.

Steve

It was probably a fair offer by Sarver all things considered but one that Amare could not take in light of the Knick offer, no one would. We obviously could have done a far better job using the money we created by not signing him.

Bottom line is that he is "not done yet" and we would be a better team this year and last year with him on the roster. Probably not $100 Mil better, but still better.

Maybe it was not all D'Antoni's fault that they sucked. Melo had another stinker along with virtually everyone else, including Amare, and they got killed by the Craptors tonight. The Raptors zoned them and they had no clue on how to attack it. The Knicks shot 38% from the filed and 5 for 28 from 3 with Nowak having all 5 of their makes. JR Smith is who we thought he was. Melo is horrible.

Great win by the Suns. Now there is a team exceeding expectations.

Boris heating it up in San Antonio. 1 for 1 for 2 points in 8 minutes and +12 leading the team. Quite frankly I think it is a perfect place for Boris and expect him to do very very well playing for Pop. I think they are now my favorite to come out of the West if everyone is healthy.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was probably a fair offer by Sarver all things considered but one that Amare could not take in light of the Knick offer, no one would. We obviously could have done a far better job using the money we created by not signing him.

Bottom line is that he is "not done yet" and we would be a better team this year and last year with him on the roster. Probably not $100 Mil better, but still better.

Maybe it was not all D'Antoni's fault that they sucked. Melo had another stinker along with virtually everyone else, including Amare, and they got killed by the Craptors tonight. The Raptors zoned them and they had no clue on how to attack it. The Knicks shot 38% from the filed and 5 for 28 from 3 with Nowak having all 5 of their makes. JR Smith is who we thought he was. Melo is horrible.

Boris heating it up in San Antonio. 1 for 1 for 2 points in 8 minutes and +12 leading the team. Quite frankly I think it is a perfect place for Boris and expect him to do very very well playing for Pop. I think they are now my favorite to come out of the West if everyone is healthy.

If we could have insured the contract I'd have given him the max but there's just no way that we could justify that risk in the Phoenix market. Well, I only have a few bucks so maybe not quite the max but if I could spend Sarver's money I would have. He's not a perfect player but he was fun to watch, he galvanized the crowd and he was great at drawing shooting fouls. Maybe Pbit is right and Amare is done but even done, he'd be still be a star on our team. As for Boris, I wish he were here but I agree, he'll do well in San Antonio.

Steve

OP
OP
Phrazbit

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Now THIS is a post I can aaalmost entirely agree with. I dont blame Amare at all for leaving, if I was in his shoes I would have done the same thing. Its 100 million guaranteed bucks and everyone is telling him his career has an impending expiration date. Anyone would have taken that cash.

As for the Suns... letting Amare walk was without a doubt, the right move. How they used the cap space afterwards... was pretty stupid. Giving Frye more than I could imagine another team offering was dumb, signing Warrick to anything more than a 1 year deal was absolutely insane and there are not words to describe the waste that Childress is.

As for Amare being "done"; is he Hakim Warrick "done"? No. But is he "done" as an all-star and impact player? You bet your balls he is, and he will only get worse as his very long, very expensive and very ill-advised contract goes on.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Frye... Warrick... and Childress... all, signed to LONG-TERM DEALS. Man, what incredible idiocy.

OP
OP
Phrazbit

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Amare, out indefinitely with a bulging disk in his back.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Frye... Warrick... and Childress... all, signed to LONG-TERM DEALS. Man, what incredible idiocy.

I have no problem with Frye's deal. Warrick was not the best idea, but seemed necessary at the time. Childress will be amnestied.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/27/s...estionable-for-knicks-bucks-game.html?_r=1&hp

Doesn't sound good long term. Too bad, right when they started doing well again Perhaps Sarver was right in not gauranteeing all of the offer to Stoudemire

I don't mean to sound arrogant, but, of course he was right. There was just no way that an uninsurable contract like Amare's made sense for Sarver or the Suns. It was a huge risk for the Knicks too but they play in a whole different ballpark than we do. I think Sarver was right even if Amare played out his contract and was an automatic all star every year.

Steve

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I have no problem with Frye's deal. Warrick was not the best idea, but seemed necessary at the time. Childress will be amnestied.
Seemed necessary?

How? They could have probably acquired a guy like Jason Thompson, JJ Hickson, Kris Humphries, Udnois Haslem etc. are were all better than Warrick even at that point.

Hell, resigning our very Lou would have been a much better idea!

And as to Frye....I guess we'll have to see how much Ryan Anderson makes this summer cause then we'll be able to tell if we got ripped off or got a bargain with Frye.

Budden

Registered
Reaction score
I don't mean to sound arrogant, but, of course he was right. There was just no way that an uninsurable contract like Amare's made sense for Sarver or the Suns. It was a huge risk for the Knicks too but they play in a whole different ballpark than we do. I think Sarver was right even if Amare played out his contract and was an automatic all star every year.

Steve

I don't mean to sound arrogant, but I'm hoping this post will come off as such nonetheless. Just kidding (he said sarcastically)!

But to be realistic, Sarver didn't offer Amar'e Stoudemire a contract. Sarver structured the "offer" such that the only person who was going to benefit from the "negotiations" was Sarver - he could say he offered Amar'e the max and Amar'e chose to go to NYC anyway, giving off the appearance that Sarver isn't cheap, but rather is an intelligent financial guy who thought up an innovative way to pay Amar'e what he deserved while maintaining some insurance if everybody's worst fears came true. I guess it was the best way to amicably allow Amar'e to walk, but there was no way he was going to sign that contract. I mean, why didn't Sarver consider a sign-and-trade, where the deal would be structured such that in a couple of years, if Amar'e is still playing well, we're allowed to reverse the trade?

In any event, you really can't judge the merits of a decision with an unsure outcome (especially when there's no real way to assign probabilities to potential outcomes) by looking back at how things turned out. But even if you do take into consideration the events that have transpired in in the two years since Amar'e left, Sarver's "offer", as the deal was structured, the piece of the contract that is currently playing out is one that was guaranteed - so Sarver the Suns would be paying Amar'e max dollars now even though he hasn't been healthy all season. And who knows: maybe this back injury will result in the "Grant Hill Effect", diminishing the wear-and-tear on Amar'e's surgically destroyed left knee and thus prolonging his overall productivity. Or, as Amar'e pointed out after he left, the Suns love to brag about their amazing training staff, so maybe with their care and supervision Amar'e never would've injured his back in the first place.

The way I look at it, Amar'e Stoudemire was a member of the Phoenix Suns' graduating class of 2010. Shaq graduated in 2009 by playing a full season with the Suns as the best center in the West; Jason Richardson graduated in early-2011 when he became the Suns most clutch shooter and consistent scorer. I'm being a bit sarcastic, but if you look at how this team has been run over the last 4 years or so, the Suns seem more like a basketball camp than an NBA team. You come to Phoenix, get to play with and learn from one of the best point guards to ever play the game, get some great attention from the training staff, and then the players get to showcase their improved game so that a real NBA team will pay you what you're worth. I think that, if the Suns do get one of the first picks in the draft one of these years, it will be a great opportunity for a rising star to develop into an all-star and go on to do great things for whatever organization is willing to pay him the market price.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
You come to Phoenix, get to play with and learn from one of the best point guards to ever play the game, get some great attention from the training staff, and then the players get to showcase their improved game so that a real NBA team will pay you what you're worth. I think that, if the Suns do get one of the first picks in the draft one of these years, it will be a great opportunity for a rising star to develop into an all-star and go on to do great things for whatever organization is willing to pay him the market price.

It didn't exactly work that way for Barbosa or Diaw, neither of whom has been an impact player after leaving the Suns (and, indeed, who were regarded as overcompensated by their Phoenix-inked contracts once they left). For that matter, even O'Neal seemed to leave what was left of his game in Sky Harbor as he departed the Suns.

OP
OP
Phrazbit

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I mean, why didn't Sarver consider a sign-and-trade, where the deal would be structured such that in a couple of years, if Amar'e is still playing well, we're allowed to reverse the trade?

... I assume this sentence was in jest...

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't mean to sound arrogant, but I'm hoping this post will come off as such nonetheless. Just kidding (he said sarcastically)!

But to be realistic, Sarver didn't offer Amar'e Stoudemire a contract. Sarver structured the "offer" such that the only person who was going to benefit from the "negotiations" was Sarver - he could say he offered Amar'e the max and Amar'e chose to go to NYC anyway, giving off the appearance that Sarver isn't cheap, but rather is an intelligent financial guy who thought up an innovative way to pay Amar'e what he deserved while maintaining some insurance if everybody's worst fears came true. I guess it was the best way to amicably allow Amar'e to walk, but there was no way he was going to sign that contract. I mean, why didn't Sarver consider a sign-and-trade, where the deal would be structured such that in a couple of years, if Amar'e is still playing well, we're allowed to reverse the trade?

In any event, you really can't judge the merits of a decision with an unsure outcome (especially when there's no real way to assign probabilities to potential outcomes) by looking back at how things turned out. But even if you do take into consideration the events that have transpired in in the two years since Amar'e left, Sarver's "offer", as the deal was structured, the piece of the contract that is currently playing out is one that was guaranteed - so Sarver the Suns would be paying Amar'e max dollars now even though he hasn't been healthy all season. And who knows: maybe this back injury will result in the "Grant Hill Effect", diminishing the wear-and-tear on Amar'e's surgically destroyed left knee and thus prolonging his overall productivity. Or, as Amar'e pointed out after he left, the Suns love to brag about their amazing training staff, so maybe with their care and supervision Amar'e never would've injured his back in the first place.

The way I look at it, Amar'e Stoudemire was a member of the Phoenix Suns' graduating class of 2010. Shaq graduated in 2009 by playing a full season with the Suns as the best center in the West; Jason Richardson graduated in early-2011 when he became the Suns most clutch shooter and consistent scorer. I'm being a bit sarcastic, but if you look at how this team has been run over the last 4 years or so, the Suns seem more like a basketball camp than an NBA team. You come to Phoenix, get to play with and learn from one of the best point guards to ever play the game, get some great attention from the training staff, and then the players get to showcase their improved game so that a real NBA team will pay you what you're worth. I think that, if the Suns do get one of the first picks in the draft one of these years, it will be a great opportunity for a rising star to develop into an all-star and go on to do great things for whatever organization is willing to pay him the market price.

Clif notes anyone?

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Sarver, our complete mis-management, the lockout, and my complete disdain for many of the players on the team this year caused me to get rid of NBA league pass. So I have really been out of the loop as far as the NBA is concerned.

But Damn..... We are 3 minutes into this Knicks - Heat game and Amare has already had is shot completely B-slapped back into his face and then he is dunked on by Chris Bosh. CHRIS FREAKING BOSH.

I miss him so much on the Suns, but he is nowhere near the guy he was 3 years ago. It's like I am watching a live funeral of his career. He isn't worth anywhere near 100 million dollars. He might not even be a $10 mill per year guy.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
It's like I am watching a live funeral of his career.

It's very sad. I don't think that anyone who enjoyed seeing Stoudemire in a Suns uniform can be happy watching him struggle like this. Maybe he'll go through another round of microfracture this summer and come back strong in 2013-14.

OP
OP
Phrazbit

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
For Amare to counter-act how inept he is on defense and rebounding he might need to drop 50 a game.

I honestly dont think its possible to be worse on D than he is. The Knicks might as well be playing 4 on 5, at least then Amare wouldnt get in the way and commit his idiotic fouls.

And now there are reports that he jacked up his hand after the game punching a wall.

JustWinBaby

Veteran
Reaction score
Pretty stupid to punch the glass of a fire extinguisher but I think most would if you had to play with Carmelo every night.

The Knicks had a definite advantage in the paint in this series if Melo and Woodsen would stop running ISO's for Melo on every play so he can jack up more shots than anyone on the planet. Lebron James he is not.

Melo took 26 shots to get 30 points, mostly jumpers. Amare took 9 and Chandler 8 for a total of 17 shots and 31 points. When they did get Amare and Chandler involved they actually looked pretty good. It seems to me that my focus would be to get the ball to those 2 guys, duh.

Most are saying that they won without Amare and Mike, of course the schedule softened quite a bit after they dumped D'Antoni and Amare got hurt, but it was fools gold. Mike believed in sharing the ball as well as Amare. Melo will have none of that, he is a star.

The Knicks cannot and will not beat the good teams with Melo creating every offensive play. I expect Amare got fed up with Melo's act and the genius Woodsen leading the team. He reacted and did a real stupid thing in the locker room. Now Melo will have an opportunity to take more shots. Good luck. The Heat will not allow Melo to beat them.

It will be a sweep and Amare will be the culprit, somehow. He always is.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake