Amare to opt out if suns dont give MAX

asudevil83

Reaction score
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5266289

GILBERT, Ariz. -- Amare Stoudemire will opt out of the final year of his contract if he doesn't re-sign with the Phoenix Suns before the deadline at the end of this month.

Stoudemire, speaking at his basketball camp Tuesday, said he deserves a maximum contract and would like it to be with Phoenix, where he has played since he was drafted out of high school in 2002. The All-Star power forward said there was "no chance" he would exercise the final year of his contract with the Suns, which would pay him about $17 million.

Phoenix could give him more than any other team -- a six-year deal worth about $127 million.

"We've got the fans excited about basketball again," Stoudemire said. "So what I don't want is for me to have to leave and the fans are now not quite as excited about the game here. I want to keep the hype, want to keep the fans involved, want to keep everybody ecstatic about the Phoenix Suns."

Stoudemire, who helped the Suns reach the Western Conference finals, can become a free agent on July 1 but indicated he would like to have things settled with the Suns before then.

Asked if he would be a Sun if he was offered a maximum deal, Stoudemire said, "There's a very great chance of that."

Stoudemire said his agent, Happy Waters, would meet soon with Suns owner Robert Sarver and general manager Steve Kerr.

"My agent is doing a good job of keeping the line of communication open with Steve Kerr and Robert," Stoudemire said. "Those guys became great friends, so I'll just sit back and let them handle it. Once it comes down to a bottom line, that's when I step in."

Sarver has said he doesn't mind spending the cash as long as he gets his money's worth. Whether that means a full deal for Stoudemire, perhaps a shorter-term contract or nothing at all remains to be seen.

"That meeting's going to tell a lot," Stoudemire said.

Kerr did not return a message on his cell phone.

Stoudemire averaged 23.1 points and 8.9 rebounds last season and was especially effective after the Suns decided against trading him at the All-Star break. He averaged 21.2 points in the playoffs but only 6.6 rebounds.

There is concern by some that Stoudemire eventually will need another operation on his left knee, after he missed virtually all the 2005-06 season following microfracture surgery. He also was sidelined the final months of the 2008-09 season after surgery for a detached retina.

Stoudemire, with career averages of 21.4 points and 8.9 rebounds, cited the success the team has had in his eight seasons there.

"The most important factor of playing for an organization is to be able to be totally comfortable and give them 100 percent," he said. "That's what I've done my whole career, so it's only right to look for a maximum contract. From the time that I was here we've done great. We've done great in the community, three Western Conference finals, we've been in the playoffs and won 60 games or so in several years."

Stoudemire was confident there would be plenty of interest should be become a free agent. He mentioned the near-trade as evidence.

"Now there's a chance to get me without giving up players," he said. "I'm pretty sure there's going to be a recruiting frenzy, but again it could not get to that point. You never know."

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess this is news but not really. Amare has always made it clear he wanted the maximum. I never thought he would not opt out of the final year of his contract. The question is how Sarver and Kerr deal with this issue. I do not think they will pay Amare $127 million.

jibikao

Reaction score
127 millions on Amare.... I won't sign Amare more than 3 years but it's just me. This is crazy.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No way should they pay Amare the max.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MAX players don't have their numbers DROP in the playoffs Amare. There is no way in hell we give him what he wants.

AfroSuns

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is a ridiculous amount. There is no way he is playing at this level in 4years with that knee.
A lot of teams will give him the max but i doubt any would go as far as six years.

Trifecta

Veteran
Reaction score
Don't do it Sarver. You won't get any complaints from me about being cheap this time if you just let him walk. In 3 years that contract would be suffocating our salary cap ala Penny/Googs 10 years ago and prevent us from moving forward post-Nash.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Amare had 36 rebounds and 3 assists for the Lakers series...averaged out thats 6 boards and half an assist per game...Plus he got the ball stuffed back in his face more times than I could count. The Lakers had his number for almost the whole series except for his one breakout game.

NO WAY WE SHOULD MAX HIM OUT!!!

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do it. Don't let him walk away for nothing. If you don't want him on the team anymore, sign and trade him.

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
Do it. Don't let him walk away for nothing. If you don't want him on the team anymore, sign and trade him.

I think some are still concerned about the knee over 6 more years. He's already passed some of the initial time tables about possibly needing another operation ( I believe it was last fall that was the 4-5 year mark?). Either it's been a great success and he'll be totally fine going forward, or his fake cartilage could break down, and he'll need another 1-2 seasons to recover while taking up a ton of salary cap.

As a GM about to pay max money to a player, i'd factor in what the player brings to the table. Amare can do great things, but is he worth max $? I would say sometimes. If i'm investing that much in my franchise and one player, I'd really have to take the injury history in mind.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think some are still concerned about the knee over 6 more years. He's already passed some of the initial time tables about possibly needing another operation ( I believe it was last fall that was the 4-5 year mark?). Either it's been a great success and he'll be totally fine going forward, or his fake cartilage could break down, and he'll need another 1-2 seasons to recover while taking up a ton of salary cap.

As a GM about to pay max money to a player, i'd factor in what the player brings to the table. Amare can do great things, but is he worth max $? I would say sometimes. If i'm investing that much in my franchise and one player, I'd really have to take the injury history in mind.

Yeah right. If you factor in his knee plus his poor rebounding and defense that makes him a max risk to go along with his max money.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That 4-5 year mark is not proven with modern procedures.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah right. If you factor in his knee plus his poor rebounding and defense that makes him a max risk to go along with his max money.

Why not factor in the eye too?

The Suns gave Amare a max contract last time when they KNEW he needed knee surgery. The knee won't be an issue this time either.

scotsman13

Reaction score
not counting the knee or the eye. lets look at this team, nash has 2 years left on his contract, jrich has 1 and the same with grand hill. so within 2 years this team is going to have to rebuild and while i do like dragic and robin lopez and i do have hope for clark to develop into a solid player. in the end i dont think tieing up max money is the big issue i think it is max time that is the real problem. i have no problem with them giving amare max money for 2 years but if he wont take that it would be better to let them walk then sign him for a contract that is to long.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In regard to salary and value to the team, Amare may compare to Rashard Lewis. Was Rashard Lewis worth a six-year contract worth more than $110 million with the Magic. I never thought so.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In regard to salary and value to the team, Amare may compare to Rashard Lewis. Was Rashard Lewis worth a six-year contract worth more than $110 million with the Magic. I never thought so.

Salary is comparable. In no way can you say that Lewis and Amare have the same value to their team. That's silly.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Ironic at how we kinda want Sarver to be cheap when dealing with Amare.

Personally, I'm tired of the guy. I'm ready to just say "See ya!" and find out what creative things we can do that don't involve that primadonna.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
Just for clarification. If Amare leaves we are 9 mil under the cap, we'd have the MLE at around 6mil and a trade-able asset in Barbosa 7mil.

What are the FA options in the 9mil and 6mil dollar range?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just for clarification. If Amare leaves we are 9 mil under the cap, we'd have the MLE at around 6mil and a trade-able asset in Barbosa 7mil.

None.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Money to resign Charlie Frye and perhaps Amundson.

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
That 4-5 year mark is not proven with modern procedures.

I do remember that timetable being thrown out there, maybe it was only for the older ones that ended guys careers. I know it's come a long way and I wish Amare the best, especially with Kidd, Randolph and those guys having success post Micro. It does seem like the modern ones are better, but still not real cartilage in the hole they drilled. That would worry me as a GM. If he lasted through the 6 year contract with no knee issues, it would be a great medical success story for sure.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Hopefully they can work out some kind of a sign and trade so they get something in return, but I really hope they don't give him the max. $60M over 4 years is as much as I'd offer him.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, bitter much? :D

That's really not true. We'll get the leftovers after the big guns are snatched up by teams.

Like?

Lee is going to command more than 9 per year for example.

Tell me who might be available that could help our team with 9M per year.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05