Amare????

Reaction score
With the fiasco over losing two of the five starters from last year's Western Conference Finals team...and fan unhappiness being displayed on EVERY Board...

...you'd think the Suns would try and mitigate damages by simply announcing the extension of Amare's deal. It's a simple process (any GM worth his salt would have had the paperwork typed up and ready to go)....negotiations are simple....Max deal....6 years.....max increases...more than any other team can offer...."the Suns are now your franchise". Period.

But no deal yet.....I sure hope Sarver isn't trying to lowball Amare by trying to sign him for a bargain (5 years $60 mil).....I can imagine it now...."sign this deal Amare...play well...and you'll get your money".....

Seriously...if it was YOUR franchise, wouldn't you have a positive "spin" lined up to deflect some of the criticism about the JJ deal? Wouldn't the signing of Amare take some of the heat off Suns management?

I got a bad feeling about this....things don't have the same "proactive" feel that they had last year, when it appeared they had a plan....and everything fell into place...it seems pretty much reactive this year ("we will match any offer", etc. etc.)

:mad:

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Don't worry. Sarver is probably making sure that the key to Amare's new Porsche is clean.

Amare will be extended.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
I think you (and many others on this board) are really overreacting.

If I had the time I would go back about a month and find all the posts where you said everyone was overreacting about the possibility of losing JJ.

I specifically recall you saying there was no way it would happen.

I for one have always worried about Amare because I view him as the potential future face of the league and I think the future face of the league might think twice before playing for the next Donald Sterling.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score

fair, however, when I see you or the other optimistis blaming D'Antoni for the teams struggles next year I will be the first to say that you guys are overreacting..he gets a free pass this year as far as I am concerned, since he has to adjust his style.

OP
OP
W
Reaction score
Chaplin said:

It's all about penny-pinching. Think not??? Let's review....

The Suns make it within 3 games of the Finals.

1. Keep QRichardson
2. Re-sign JJ
3. Use the draft pick on Nate Robinson as a change-of-pace backup for Steve Nash
4. Use the 1.7 to re-sign Hunter (WITHOUT the option year).
5. Use the MLE for a backup big man like Stromile Swift or Donyell Marshall
6. Sign Amare to a max extension

Go into the season with the same team that was successful last year...only with additional depth.

If (and only if) the team wasn't successful in a legitimate championship run....THEN you could trade some of the high priced players for draft picks and/or expiring contracts....and no fan would think the worst (after giving it a legitimate shot).

....after the moves the Suns have shown so far....it doesn't look like overreaction to me.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
WastedFate said:
Don't worry. Sarver is probably making sure that the key to Amare's new Porsche is clean.

Amare will be extended.

No offense fate but thats the same positive rhetoric i was getting all year about Joe. Consider me "once bitten, twice shy..."I wont feel good about Amare until his name is on the dotted line. The reality is we have no idea what is going to happen and your guess is really as good as mine. I never forsaw a plan that would have JJ leaving this team but...........

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
There is absolutely NO WAY that Sarver doesnt sign Amare to the max. The city will have his head if he doesnt, and he knows it.

There are so many SG's that can do what Joe can do. Amare, though, is a beast and quite possibly will become the best PF of all-time.

playstation

Selfless Service
Reaction score
wilecoyotesupergenius said:
It's all about penny-pinching. Think not??? Let's review....

Fair enough. I certainly agree with you, but just to play devils advocate:

-didn't most of the public say we overpaid for Raja Bell
-didn't EVERYONE scream we drastically overpaid Steve Nash

He is a conservative owner, no doubt about that. But to compare him to Sterling is probably not accurate either. Sterling has never done anything like the 2 points listed above.

Personally, at this point my feeling is that Robert Sarver is one of the 5 or 6 cheapest owners in the NBA, with Sterling (Paper Clips), Abe Pollin (Cheese Wiz), Robert Johnson (Bobby's Cats), George Shinn (Nawlens), and MAYBE Howard Shultz (StarbucksSonics) being cheaper.

The thing that got me was carrying only 12 people last year. I mean, that's just friggin cheap. Ya'll can say what you want about '$70M is alot', and 'don't blame Sarver for JJ', but when a guy doesn't want to spend $200k so so they can have an adequete practice team, you start to look at him a certain way.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Even JJ's strongest admirers would admit that he was not worth $70 million and was going to screw up the Suns cap situation for half a decade. Like most cases of overpayment, it would be due to competition rather than pure value. I really wanted to keep him for one run at the title, but it was heavy heavy price.

No one, absolutely no one, says that Amare is not worth a max contract. The only guys who are even slightly better (and a lot older) are paid far more.

newfan101

Registered
Reaction score
playstation said:
The thing that got me was carrying only 12 people last year. I mean, that's just friggin cheap. Ya'll can say what you want about '$70M is alot', and 'don't blame Sarver for JJ', but when a guy doesn't want to spend $200k so so they can have an adequete practice team, you start to look at him a certain way.

Yep. He also sold a late 2nd round pick.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
im not disagreeing that EVERYONE knows Amare's value and worth. Im just getting tired of these "unforseen circumstances" thta mangae to throw sure things into shoulda-beens. Who knows what might come up? Amare might have dreamed since he was a kid of being a Laker.....(oh thats the worst sentence ever uttered). im not doing anything until he is locked up. Thats not overreacting, thats just plain sense......

Phill11

The Payphone Man
Reaction score
devilalum said:
If I had the time I would go back about a month and find all the posts where you said everyone was overreacting about the possibility of losing JJ.

I specifically recall you saying there was no way it would happen.

I for one have always worried about Amare because I view him as the potential future face of the league and I think the future face of the league might think twice before playing for the next Donald Sterling.

But Chaplin is right. People are acting like the Suns are worse than the Clippers now. We lost Q and JJ. Big DEAL.

We still have Amare, Marion and Nash. The true CORE of the team.

Two years ago JJ was worthless. He would occasionally have a big game, then dissapear for weeks at a time. Joe had one good season and expects to be offered a max deal? Fine, get your max deal, but sure as hell not in Phoenix.

If we locked JJ up with a max deal, in a year from now it'd blow up in our faces as we'd have to watch either Marion or Amare leave.

I give Suns ownership/managment credit. They are not only trying to build a contender, but they want to be good in the future too. Signings like Bell are what this team needs. Guys that can play roles.
I feel with the

SunsPride

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Phill11 said:
But Chaplin is right. People are acting like the Suns are worse than the Clippers now. We lost Q and JJ. Big DEAL.

We still have Amare, Marion and Nash. The true CORE of the team.

Two years ago JJ was worthless. He would occasionally have a big game, then dissapear for weeks at a time. Joe had one good season and expects to be offered a max deal? Fine, get your max deal, but sure as hell not in Phoenix.

If we locked JJ up with a max deal, in a year from now it'd blow up in our faces as we'd have to watch either Marion or Amare leave.

I give Suns ownership/managment credit. They are not only trying to build a contender, but they want to be good in the future too. Signings like Bell are what this team needs. Guys that can play roles.
I feel with the

We could of still offered JJ a max deal and still resigned Amare to a max deal. Those were the only two that mattered in the long run. (JJ and Amare)

They were our young and up coming stars.

JJ will be a great player, we will all regret letting him walk. Mark my words.

Phill11

The Payphone Man
Reaction score
SunsPride said:
We could of still offered JJ a max deal and still resigned Amare to a max deal. Those were the only two that mattered in the long run. (JJ and Amare)

They were our young and up coming stars.

JJ will be a great player, we will all regret letting him walk. Mark my words.

With 4 Max deals the Suns would be hurting in two years. Haven't you people learned that max deal players don't win championships. It's role players. I'd rather have Nash, Amare, Marion, and good solid role players rather than Amare, JJ, and Nash.

I'd take Marion over JJ anyday. JJ had one good year. Marion has been consistent since he started with us.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Apparently Amare is upset about how the media blew the thing between him and JJ way out of proportion. He said something to the effect that sure he yelled at JJ and JJ has yelled at him too. He said that JJ was his boy. He also went on to say that with the recent developments in Atlanta that JJ is probably scared.

This info is all paraphrased and second hand. Actually it is third hand so take it for what it's worth.

Last edited:

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Folster said:
Apparently Amare is upset about how the media blew the thing between him and JJ way out of proportion. He said something to the effect that sure he yelled at JJ and JJ has yelled at him too. He said that JJ was his boy. He also went on to say that with the recent developments in Atlanta that JJ is probably scared.

This info is all paraphrased and second hand. Actually it is third hand so take it fo what it's worth.

Mind if I ask from where?

(it all sounds pretty true)

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
Phill11 said:
With 4 Max deals the Suns would be hurting in two years. Haven't you people learned that max deal players don't win championships. It's role players. I'd rather have Nash, Amare, Marion, and good solid role players rather than Amare, JJ, and Nash.

I'd take Marion over JJ anyday. JJ had one good year. Marion has been consistent since he started with us.

well let's not get totally carried away max deal type players do help a little bit.

cpatterson23

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
last i heard, the current deal is 5 years 80 million for an extension, and you are right phill11 i'd take matrix over jj any damn day. F*ck JJ, if he's gonna be a twit and ask for ****loads of money, we don't need him. You don't give a guy 20 mill then 10 millx4 just for 17 ppg, 5 rpg, 3.5 apg, and .96 spg, and jj had 1.8 TOpg as well. The only good thing was that he played and started in all 82 games. He's a great player if he's gonna take the 3rd or 4th spotlight, but if he's your main guy, get a new team.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
cpatterson23 said:
last i heard, the current deal is 5 years 80 million for an extension, and you are right phill11 i'd take matrix over jj any damn day. F*ck JJ, if he's gonna be a twit and ask for ****loads of money, we don't need him. You don't give a guy 20 mill then 10 millx4 just for 17 ppg, 5 rpg, 3.5 apg, and .96 spg, and jj had 1.8 TOpg as well. The only good thing was that he played and started in all 82 games. He's a great player if he's gonna take the 3rd or 4th spotlight, but if he's your main guy, get a new team.

Sorry, JJ is a much more complete player than Shawn, and can create his own shot. I like Shawn, but let's not lose sight of reality here.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
ASUCHRIS said:
Sorry, JJ is a much more complete player than Shawn, and can create his own shot. I like Shawn, but let's not lose sight of reality here.
Please. At worst, they are equal. IMO Shawn has more importance on this team. Sure, JJ has a prettier shot, but that doesn't make him automatically better. JJ can handle the ball fairly well, but Shawn can rebound a lot better and is a slightly better defender.

cpatterson23

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Please. At worst, they are equal. IMO Shawn has more importance on this team. Sure, JJ has a prettier shot, but that doesn't make him automatically better. JJ can handle the ball fairly well, but Shawn can rebound a lot better and is a slightly better defender.
Yeah, a shot doesn't mean that much unless it's a last second shot to win. I remember JJ having like... 1 of those... So overall, Shawn is far better, shawn's way too underrated, he rebounds, he blocks, he does all the little good things.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Chaplin said:

Are we talking regular season/post season? For regular season, sure Shawn is probably a better player. In the season that matters, JJ can create his own shot in the half court game, which makes him infinitely more valuable in the playoffs. I like to think playoff performance is more important, ergo I think JJ is better.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
ASUCHRIS said:
Are we talking regular season/post season? For regular season, sure Shawn is probably a better player. In the season that matters, JJ can create his own shot in the half court game, which makes him infinitely more valuable in the playoffs. I like to think playoff performance is more important, ergo I think JJ is better.

We eliminated Dallas with Shawn and without JJ, so not sure if JJ even has enough playoff experience to be evaluated.