Votes: 14 50.0%
  • No, it's a waste of time and it'll change nothing

Votes: 10 35.7%

• Total voters

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love it how guys like AP are are all 'sure fire' picks... in retrospect.

you do know if you were calling for the pick at the time (which a lot of these people were) that means it's not... in retrospect, right?

When we won that game against MIN so many people were upset because we wouldn't be able to draft Eli Manning.

Now that the guy has played a few years and been totally average we don't hear a freakin' peep about the dude. Funny how that works.

Completely average? He's on pace for 26 TDs and 18 INT (after posting 24 and 17 the previous two years) while he's got his team headed to the playoffs for the third straight year that and he's doing it this year without Tiki, who everyone said was completely responsible for getting them there the previous two years.

You want us to bring that stuff up? We can also bring up passing on Big Ben
but those horses are dead and buried. I'm sure people can oblige you on this request, but I'd rather we didn't.

Do you people love indulging in revionist history to pat your selves on the back? Because all I see is a bunch of guys who refuse to let go of an issue because they love stroking their ego's.

no - we refuse to let go of the personnel decisions because the GUY MAKING THEM KEEPS SCREWING THEM UP. That's why we talk about them. We WANT TO BE GOOD. We believe that CHANGE in the FO is necessary. I really don't understand why that's so hard for you to understand. The FO pisses us off beyond belief and we constantly see their mistakes coming back to bite us in the ass and keep us the most pathetic franchise in all of sports. We're SICK OF THAT and frankly most of us are completely fluxomned why you're not also.

sinsay

Veteran
Reaction score
Shows how much of a class act he is.

He SHOULD be going nuts!!! He's an amazing RB who's stuck behind a line that hasn't opened a hole in 3 games.

For the 2nd time in 24 games he only got 15 yards.

He's not getting the ball enough to establish a running game.

Does he yell out at his team? NO
Does he yell out in the media? NO
Should he be getting the ball a lot more? YES

Cards are destroying his chances of getting into the Hall of Fame. It's sad to watch a player like him have his talents wasted away when they aren't even using him.

Edge - Keep it up and I hope the yards will come. You've shown nothing but class from the start.
ya keep it up

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you do know if you were calling for the pick at the time (which a lot of these people were) that means it's not... in retrospect, right?

no - we refuse to let go of the personnel decisions because the GUY MAKING THEM KEEPS SCREWING THEM UP. That's why we talk about them. We WANT TO BE GOOD. We believe that CHANGE in the FO is necessary. I really don't understand why that's so hard for you to understand. The FO pisses us off beyond belief and we constantly see their mistakes coming back to bite us in the ass and keep us the most pathetic franchise in all of sports. We're SICK OF THAT and frankly most of us are completely fluxomned why you're not also.

The last paragraph pretty much nails my thoughts on this. Peterson is just the latest and most glaring example of our FO's inability to make the right calls to improve the team. that's what they get paid to do, we have been told quite clearly who is making those calls now, he should be accountable for them.

We did the same thing with Rolle we painted ourselves into needing a CB, and then took one and now that he's not very good people say well we needed a CB and he was the best one on the board, not Graves fault. Now we made ourselves need a T and got Brown instead of Peterson. Gandy was a nice sign I give Graves credit for that, but he passed on the best player in the draft on a team that needed speed, because he HAD to take a tackle, that's poor planning.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love it how guys like AP are are all 'sure fire' picks... in retrospect.

Just a quick 2 minute search resulted in these threads in which you'll see that not everyone is participating in revisionist history.

http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/showthread.php?t=89843&highlight=draft+peterson&page=4

http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/showthread.php?t=89785&highlight=draft+peterson

http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/showthread.php?t=89604&highlight=draft+peterson&page=4

One of those threads also contains this from me:
Youthfully Idealistic Pariah said:
I like Thomas, and I'll understand if they go with him over AD (though I suspect at least one of the two will be gone)...heck, I'll even be pleased with the selection. But AD is THAT much better than the OL at the top of the draft that even with Edge on the roster you have to consider him.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would Ugoh have been available with the cards second round pick?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a quick 2 minute search resulted in these threads in which you'll see that not everyone is participating in revisionist history.

http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/showthread.php?t=89843&highlight=draft+peterson&page=4

http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/showthread.php?t=89785&highlight=draft+peterson

http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/showthread.php?t=89604&highlight=draft+peterson&page=4

One of those threads also contains this from me:

Thank you for posting those links!

It just goes to show that the people that were against drafting Peterson before the draft are defending the pick of Brown, and the people who wanted AP before the draft are unhappy with the pick. and yet in every one of these threads 2-3 of the first category people make some "I think some of you just want to be right and can't let it go" comments completely ignoring the fact that both groups of people are doing the same thing, sticking to the opinion that they had BEFORE the pick.

Hell I was having this argument well over a month before the draft, I even made some comments about how I thought Lynch would be a more complete RB than Peterson but that you almost HAD to take Peterson first because he was more of a sure thing as a pure runner. Even that hasn't proven to be true so far Peterson has more receiving yards than Lynch does(they take Marshawn out on passing downs because their OL is so bad they need a RB who's a great blocker).

It is what it is, we can't change anything. I have watched so many guys over the years come into the league, have good careers, and at the end of their careers when they've clearly passed their prime people get mad when you suggest it's time to replace them with a better young player. That guy has been great for years he hasn't forgotten how to play etc. Nobody is saying Edgerrin James is a bad guy, nobody is saying he's greedy or lazy or a cancer in the locker room. We're just saying that what we see is what we get with Edge, if we had the best OL in the NFL he still wouldn't be getting a bunch of 20+ yard runs, he's just not fast enough and hasn't been for years. Tha'ts why he's an Arizona Cardinal and not still a Colt.

BigJoe

Rookie
Reaction score
Someone mentioned it before, Edge isn't and never has been a home run hitter. Not at Miami, not in Indy, and not in Arizona. To paraphrase Mr. Green, he is who we thought he was. A durable runner, a hard worker, probably one of the best blocking RB's in the game, a guy who is going to get a couple yards after first contact, but not a guy who is going to have a multiple 40+ yard runs a season. That's who he is.

Now, for all of the people pointing at Peterson (and as an OU fan, I love watching him succeed), let us not forget that they have a really good LT (McKinnie) paired with the best guard in the game (Hutchinson) and a Pro Bowl center (Birk) blocking in front of him. If you don't think that is one of the largest factors in his success, take a look at how Shaun Alexander "forgot" how to run in Seattle when Hutch left. It's no coincidence.

That being said, IMO, Edge probably isn't getting a 296 yard day in the Vikes O, but it's not out of the question to believe that AP would only get 20 or 30 with the Cards O.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
Someone mentioned it before, Edge isn't and never has been a home run hitter. Not at Miami, not in Indy, and not in Arizona. To paraphrase Mr. Green, he is who we thought he was. A durable runner, a hard worker, probably one of the best blocking RB's in the game, a guy who is going to get a couple yards after first contact, but not a guy who is going to have a multiple 40+ yard runs a season. That's who he is.

Now, for all of the people pointing at Peterson (and as an OU fan, I love watching him succeed), let us not forget that they have a really good LT (McKinnie) paired with the best guard in the game (Hutchinson) and a Pro Bowl center (Birk) blocking in front of him. If you don't think that is one of the largest factors in his success, take a look at how Shaun Alexander "forgot" how to run in Seattle when Hutch left. It's no coincidence.

That being said, IMO, Edge probably isn't getting a 296 yard day in the Vikes O, but it's not out of the question to believe that AP would only get 20 or 30 with the Cards O.
Excellent points!

I said something similar on couple of other threads but not as well.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
^ Well put but some will still argue we picked the wrong guy. Now if we had already locked up say Hutch, and a good LT before the draft, then and only then would I agree we should have took AP. As it stood with no good OL additions we HAD to address the line in the draft.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As it stood with no good OL additions we HAD to address the line in the draft.
Good grief.

For the umpteenth time, no one is saying we shouldn't have addressed the line in the draft. What we're saying is that you shouldn't pass up talent like AP for a "good" RT.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
Good grief.

For the umpteenth time, no one is saying we shouldn't have addressed the line in the draft. What we're saying is that you shouldn't pass up talent like AP for a "good" RT.

True. But I think he's was saying we couldn't get a "good enough" RT later in the draft. Seems we passed on AP the moment we cut LD loose.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would Ugoh have been available with the cards second round pick?

Yes.

Tony was a 2nd round pick.

AP and Ugoh sounds much nicer than Brown/Branch.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
True. But I think he's was saying we couldn't get a "good enough" RT later in the draft. Seems we passed on AP the moment we cut LD loose.
He's wrong about that, see "Ugoh."

Also, I'm not blind to the fact that the decision to pass on AP was a cascade of poor decision making--LD was the straw that broke the camel's back.

And again, I hate to beat a dead horse, but it just bugs me that some people are clinging to the idea that it was a GOOD thing to pass on the talent of AP. Blows my mind.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
He's wrong about that, see "Ugoh."

Also, I'm not blind to the fact that the decision to pass on AP was a cascade of poor decision making--LD was the straw that broke the camel's back.

And again, I hate to beat a dead horse, but it just bugs me that some people are clinging to the idea that it was a GOOD thing to pass on the talent of AP. Blows my mind.

At the time, considering the departed Davis I can accept why they passed on AP. Did it turn out to be the best decision? No. But you know what they say about hindsight. Let's just see what becomes of Mr Brown.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05