Analysis of What's Wrong with the Cards

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Walter, the way you talk about Kendall, you would think that 2000 years from now everyone will have little figurines of him on their dashboards.

Guess what, they won't. Furthermore, he was not Norma Rae, nor the second coming of Samuel Gompers. He was a slightly better than average guard who was hurt more often than not. And he was, by most accounts, a big mouth locker room lawyer. Those guys are almost always the first ones shown the door when there is a managment change. Even Kendall himself is probably over this by now. Why aren't you?

The Shark

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
jefftheshark said:
Walter, the way you talk about Kendall, you would think that 2000 years from now everyone will have little figurines of him on their dashboards.

:biglaugh:

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
mattyboy said:
it isn't unrealistic to say that kendall would be our best interior lineman right now.

Of course, he would be our best interior Olineman but...

1) Having him would not fix the problems of our line. If it were just one Olineman playing poorly, they wouldn't be playing as bad as they have been

and

2) There are no guarantees that he would stay healthy. He had problems with health his entire Cardinal career ... why would that change now?

CronosCard

Veteran
Reaction score
"..And in this corner.."

Whatever any of you have to comment about what I believe these last year and 2 games have proven about DG, I don't give a rat's ass. We are all frustrated aboutthe under-acheiving players and more importantly, COACHES. If I remember correctly while it is the positional coaches responsibility to have their units properly fired up and properly prepared to meet each opponent, it is DG's ultimate responsibility, since hehired these coaches, and has the responsibilty to hold them each accountable for their team's success in the areas they coach. It isn't DG bashing just because some of the previous posters believes DG hired unqualified coaches, which is shown to be an accurate assessment this first 2 games, and last year as well. As far as releasing the Oline players he did--objectively speaking it took kendell less than 3 days to get picked up, Shelton got picked up and Clement got picked up.. Someone else, with far more wins than DG had last year thought kendell was worth it- and I don't know who picked up Shelton and Clement, but I wonder if they are 0-2.. :shrug:
It also isn't DG bashing talking about his capricious ego.. That's what got him fired in Minnesota, and will ultimately get him fired here. I've never heard him say the words 'The way we played today was my fault, because it starts from the top' I have heard many standup head coaches this year take the blame squarely on their own shoulders first-that creates team cameraderie, that the coach admits he should-could have done more to help his team win..
Listen on NFL network about how the top coaches in this sport talk after a loss, then DG.. Get off all those Valium, DG!!! :notworthy

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I've never heard him say the words 'The way we played today was my fault, because it starts from the top'

Listen to the press conference this week then. he says he did a lot of things wrong on the sidelines. He says it about 3 times. he says it after every loss.

You guys like to make things up.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LVCARDFREAK said:
Normally I agree with your posts but this last one is bitter hatred for DG. How is that us fans and Graves were "sucked into the DG mystique too easily" but somehow you KNOW what the players in the lockeroom felt about Pete?

I seem to remember most of them saying when asked, (paraphrasing) "sometimes these things happen" I dont remember any players coming out vehemently defending Pete once.... :shrug:

Just guessing here, but defending a just fired player would not seem to be career enhancing, since Green's ego overwhelms his sense of logic.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
D-Dogg said:
The anti-Denny crowd is terribly annoying.

That's one heck of an understatement there, Dogg. I personally can't wait for these chuckle heads to move on.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
... and the anti Denny crowd probably finds the pro Denny crowd equally annoying. ;)

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
D-Dogg said:
Ok, I've heard enough. You don't like Green and unrealistically blame him for everything. Stop recycling the same tired lunacy in multiple posts. We get it. Move on.

Then go to another thread. I don't like green and DO blame him for everything. He's the head coach. And I don't think it's unrealistic to do so.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Keep in mind... that Walter says that he does not have an axe to grind against Coach Green.

Every word taped out is pure unalterated objective thought from a person who knows more about the game, coaches, players and, through the magic of TV, can read their minds before, after a play or on the sidelines...

Walter knows!!!

That's right! And, if you don't believe me ask him... :D

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
CronosCard said:
. I've never heard him say the words 'The way we played today was my fault, because it starts from the top'

DG was interviewed yesterday on Channel 15 and specifically said that he takes the blame for the last play and he did not coach his best game.... But Hey... don't let that stop you.

Some of you guys just don't get it. DG is here to make tough decisions.. right or wrong.. he is NOT here to wallow in indecision or second guess himself. I don't need or want somebody making excuses for a decision that was made.

The only ego I see here are people who continually spout off pages and pages of hate regurgitated in different forms to somehow filibuster their way to a point.

Disgusting and just plain wrong. It's amazing that the vast majority of people with any credibility in the NFL think that DG is a great head coach and has the Cards on the right track, BUT a few fickle fans of a horrendous franchise actually want to question a proven coach. DG may not always be right, but I think it is hard to argue with the fact that he is more right than any coach that we've had in at least the past 20 years.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
mattyboy said:
it isn't unrealistic to say that kendall would be our best interior lineman right now.

Yes...but how effective was the Pro Bowl G...at C for us? What a waste.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
LVCARDFREAK said:
Just because he doesnt spout good-ole-boy-Texas euphimisms like Mac doesnt mean he doesnt deserve a chnavce to turn around, the SORRIEST EXCUSE FOR A FRANCHISE IN THE HISTORY OF SPORTS! YES i said it, the sorriest....Give the man a chance!

True statement...We are lucky to have a Coach like Green willing to risk there reputation trying to turn this ship around.

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Two conflicting thoughts on the end of the game: 1) Warner should have taken the reins and pushed and shoved his line into position and spiked the ball. He didn't appear to show any leadership during the last 27 seconds. Blame : Warner. 2) After the sack, Warner was signaling to the sideline and looking for some kind of sign. That the coaches were not allowing Warner to control the field during this crucial time is stupid. Blame : Green

If you are predisposed to hating on Green, then #2 is way to go. If you think that veteran players who are being paid $4 million per year to lead their team, should actually lead, then go with #1.

The Shark

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
jefftheshark said:
Two conflicting thoughts on the end of the game: 1) Warner should have taken the reins and pushed and shoved his line into position and spiked the ball. He didn't appear to show any leadership during the last 27 seconds. Blame : Warner. 2) After the sack, Warner was signaling to the sideline and looking for some kind of sign. That the coaches were not allowing Warner to control the field during this crucial time is stupid. Blame : Green

The Shark

If you read the story posted here today about the plan it's clear the coaches intended to run 2 plays without the spike so that was a coaching decision not Warner. I still think he should have recognized the disorder and called for a spike, but the plan was no spike.

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
This question is simple.

No running game. Not enough running plays called. Keep pounding it. Try to mix in some Shipp and JJ more often next week. With a descent running attack the play action will be more effective and buy Warner time.

The Cards played good considering people were expected the Rams to blow us out. We had a shot to win at the end and held our own.

This team needs more balance.

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
If you read the story posted here today about the plan it's clear the coaches intended to run 2 plays without the spike so that was a coaching decision not Warner. I still think he should have recognized the disorder and called for a spike, but the plan was no spike.

The coaches plan went out the window with the sack. At that point veteran leadership takes over.

If Alex Smith was playing then I could understand the logic of having the coaches calling the shots, however this was a Super Bowl MVP out there. For all his faults, could you imagine Plummer not taking control out there and doing what needed to be done? Young? Montana? Favre?

Personally I think Green is taking the heat for Warner's brain-fart. I don't think Warner should be benched, but for me the bloom is somewhat coming off the rose as far Warner is concerned.

The Shark

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
mattyboy said:

He would have been a FA at the end of last season and most likely would not have re-signed here. Kendall is an east coast guy and thats where he would have ended up. So yes it is unrealistic.

Last edited:

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Crazy Canuck said:
So many well crafted words in support of a single tiresome thought:

Dennis Green is the problem!!!

(We know you feel this deeply, and all remember that empty threat to never post here until he was driven out of town... So, tell me: Why did you come back?)

When a team goes bad the Head Coach can hardly escape "some" of the responsibility. After all, he helps bring in all these players. He hired and fired the Coaches. All these players are his players. He helps develop the game plans. Yes DG like Bush must step up and say I could have done better. However that is not in his character. No he is not totally responsible but he is sure part of the problem.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
red desert said:
Yup. It's amazing to me that some just refuse to admit Green's shortcomings.

I am always amazed at how quickly people jump on some ones bandwagon and refuse to recognize their faults. I first and foremost am and always will be a Cardinal fan. If a coach or players cannot cut it then I will say so. Players and Coaches come and go. The Cardinals continue on.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
john h said:
I am always amazed at how quickly people jump on some ones bandwagon and refuse to recognize their faults. I first and foremost am and always will be a Cardinal fan. If a coach or players cannot cut it then I will say so. Players and Coaches come and go. The Cardinals continue on.

I will give you a pass since you didn't get a chance to catch local tv here in arizona, but again DG did take the blame.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Mitch said:
Crimson: yeah, the Cards have been banged up some...but so has just about every other team. The Rams secondary is currently a MASH unit...and they were giving the Cardinals the win yesterday...but a bonehead decision to take the snap from center...to badly blow a fundamental blocking assignment in allowing Archuletta an inexcusable straight line up the A gap to the QB...an even more bonehead decision to allow precious seconds to tick off the board while trying to call a play...and then to not have the discipline to stay on-sides...that's not bad luck...that's bad coaching, bad playing, bad preparation...and ZERO mental toughness.

As a coach we used to end every practice with late game situations...with the clock set at 1:00 and no time outs. Every day, man. High school kids can be taught that the clock is the enemy...and they don't practice virtually seven months of the year.

Yesterday was an embarrassing display of a lack of discipline...and an unpreparedness to win.

Yes, props go to players like Shipp and Q who played their tails off and did everything they could to win the game. You're right Crimson...some players are playing hard and well. But, football is a team effort...and the team effort yesterday was not nearly what it should have been, especially playing at home at a clear advantage in the heat.

A head coach may not be responsible for individual performance but he is responsible for team performance. He is the leader, he sets the tone, and he must accept responsibility for the outcome. If you have poor performing players whoever brought them in is responsible for having poor performing players. Was it Green or Graves or a combination? It is difficult to take a bad player and make him a good player. Good coaches can take good players and make them into an outstanding "TEAM". So far Green does not seem like a man who accepts responsibility when things go bad. He will step up and accept responsibility when things go well--if they ever do.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan