Analysis of What's Wrong with the Cards

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Mitch said:
As for Kendall...how many of you have actually considered what the players feel about Kendall???...after all, he was protecting their rights...which as union representative was his job.

Dennis Green broke the off-season NFL rules...not by just a little...players were hitting each other unprotected and were getting hurt...

For those of you who think "Oh, come on, what a bunch of whimp losers"... Playing football is these players' livelihood...all of them are one bad injury from having to give the game up and possibly forfeit financial security for their families in the process....not to mention having to give up playing the game they love.

Pete Kendall is a tough hard-nosed football player who played hard and hurt for the Cardinals when the chips were down.

Some of you got sucked into the DG mystique all too easily.

Pete Kendall was not the problem...he would have been the Cardinals' best interior lineman last year...and quite frankly, with him in the lineup, the running game would have been much stronger...and in all likelihood the Cardinals would have won both the SF games and, in doing so, would have made the playoffs.

Green hung Kendall out to dry and allowed everyone to consider him a cancer and a pariah. It was unconscionable.

It was also a very poor football decision to get nothing in return for him...especially in light of the immediate interest Kendall garnered in the open market, and the subsequent $3M+/yr. contract he inked.

Shame on the Bidwills and Rod Graves too for allowing this to happen.

Meanwhile, Kendall has been embraced as a Godsend in New York...and cited as one of the major reasons why Curtis Martin galloped to 1,300 yards last season.

Go figure.

I am with you Mitch.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Mitch said:
Their silence is the answer. Pete Kendall was their representative for a reason. He stood up for their rights.

Pete Kendall was not the representative. Scott Player was and still is. Kendall didnt go to the NFLPA, players which some speculate Kendall was one of them went to Player and Player was obligated to go to the NFLPA becuase it was his duty. Player is still on the team.

Kendall is very known to be a lockerroom lawyer and has a very big mouth, this is a fact. Players like that dont do well with new coaching regimes trying to change the teams attitude. He had the same rep in Seattle as well, and they couldnt wait to get him out of their locker room as well. They even tried to trade him for two straight years before he became a FA and came to us for a big pay day. but they were smart in knowing that they didnt have a good enough replacement and also tried to get something in return. We did not do that which was a mistake. There are a lot of articles that I PM'ed to Russ a long time ago about Kendalls problems in Seattle as well. I dont have them anymore but I am sure Russ will back me up.

Plus Bill Lewis and Dale Hallastrae on KDUS sports radio both agreed with the reasoning behind the cut. Both being former players know exactly how a locker room works, and both knew Kendall in the locker room. They knew that a new regime and a Kendall type locker room lawyer just do not mix. In this type of situation I totally trust former players who know the inner workings of a locker room, and their thoughts on them. But what they didnt agree with is not having a good enough replacement and the timing, which I to agree with as well.

Why is he doing so well in NY and not having the same problems. Honeymoon period maybe, but most likely the winning, veteran players and coaches are allready established, and he is more at home on the east coast, may have something to do with it.

I thought I was done with the Kendall debate. I swore I wasnt going to talk about it again. :mad:

Make your comments and I will listen off the air. :thumbup:

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
john h said:
Green does not seem like a man who accepts responsibility when things go bad. He will step up and accept responsibility when things go well--if they ever do.

Hey John... did you skip my post?

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
clif said:
Hey John... did you skip my post?

Yes I did miss your post. i know I do not hear all of DG's comments living here in Arkansas. The ones I do see however leaves me with the impression he is not one to readily accept responsibility. Leaders are supposed to do that. Followers respect it. I know I am making assumptions on the few things I see and read but that is all I have to go on. As a pilot I was and always accepted responsibility for everything that went on in my aircraft. If the copilot screws up I should have caught it. The only thing I could not help was aircraft systems failures but even some of them might have been caught on a preflight. Perhaps coming from a military background where one is expected to accept full responsibility I am overly critical. I still hear those words taught to me early in my career "No excuse Sir".

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
red desert said:
Then go to another thread. I don't like green and DO blame him for everything. He's the head coach. And I don't think it's unrealistic to do so.

Blame him for what?

Taken this team from a 12-4 playoff team to a ...oh wait......

I mean taking all the pro bowl players and turning them into.....oh ummm

I mean firing the offensive and defensive coordinators from Mac's regime coz...oh um....

What exactly are you blaming him for?? If you cant see the progression this team has made since 2003 you are blind. We have gone on this baord, as fans, from losing on the road to cleveland by 40 or Pitt by 27 and complaining how the team gave up, to talking about fixing one aspect of this team (the oline) to push for a winning season....I am baffled at how you cant see how much better it is now with Green and staff...and how much better it can be.

Whatever dude, you would F**K up a free bowl of soup! :rolleyes:

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I find it unbelievable how Green has gotten about 10x more crap in this town from local fans and media than Mac ever got.

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
I find it unbelievable how Green has gotten about 10x more crap in this town from local fans and media than Mac ever got.
One heartbeat Mao. It just made us feel so warm inside. One heartbeat.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:

Because they miss days like this

You must be registered for see images

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
LVCARDFREAK said:
Blame him for what?

Taken this team from a 12-4 playoff team to a ...oh wait......

I mean taking all the pro bowl players and turning them into.....oh ummm

I mean firing the offensive and defensive coordinators from Mac's regime coz...oh um....

What exactly are you blaming him for?? If you cant see the progression this team has made since 2003 you are blind. We have gone on this baord, as fans, from losing on the road to cleveland by 40 or Pitt by 27 and complaining how the team gave up, to talking about fixing one aspect of this team (the oline) to push for a winning season....I am baffled at how you cant see how much better it is now with Green and staff...and how much better it can be.

Whatever dude, you would F**K up a free bowl of soup! :rolleyes:

We are 0-2. Last year's record was what? We could/should have won this weekend plus 4 or 5 more games last year, BUT FOR THE horrendous play-calling and game management. Oh, and speaking of losing by 40 to cleveland and 27 to Pitt, what was the score in week one? Green didn't just take over this team last week.

We are 0-2. How exactly are we better that 2003? Call me crazy, but I'm assuming football is about winning and losing. Now if we win 10 in a row, then you can toss out your "whatever dude... " comments.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
clif said:

Which was usually followed up by days like this

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) - This wasn't just the lowest moment of a woeful season for the Arizona Cardinals.

Sunday's 49-0 defeat at the hands of the Kansas City Chiefs, Arizona's sixth straight loss after a 4-2 start, was the Cardinals' worst in their long NFL history -- and maybe ever

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
10 Xs the ego gets one ten times the grief. Direct correlation. Human behavior is predictable. Mac = nice guy Green does not = nice guy. :cool:

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
clif said:

You must be registered for see images

We are 0-2. We are complaining because we are not happy with that record. What exactly are you bitching about? Let us complain. Go to a positive thread. We are entitled to complain and bitch if we chose and you are free to move along to a gentler, kinder thread. Go. But you keep jumping right into the mis as if Green was your younger brother.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
red desert said:
We are 0-2. We are complaining because we are not happy with that record. What exactly are you bitching about? Let us complain. Go to a positive thread. We are entitled to complain and bitch if we chose and you are free to move along to a gentler, kinder thread. Go. But you keep jumping right into the mis as if Green was your younger brother.

There is nothing wrong with complaining, but to sit here and bitch and moan about every single move that is made is ridiculous. I don't agree with all the moves, but it doesn't take a brainiac to figure out that this team is moving in the right direction

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
clif said:
There is nothing wrong with complaining, but to sit here and bitch and moan about every single move that is made is ridiculous. I don't agree with all the moves, but it doesn't take a brainiac to figure out that this team is moving in the right direction

Alright braniac, let me say this s..l..o..w..l..y so you can understand:

We are 0-2. Talk to me when we win a couple of games.

Just messing with you. Seriously though, let us get at least one win under our belts before we talk about moving in the right direction.

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
red desert said:
We are 0-2. Last year's record was what? We could/should have won this weekend plus 4 or 5 more games last year, BUT FOR THE horrendous play-calling and game management. Oh, and speaking of losing by 40 to cleveland and 27 to Pitt, what was the score in week one? Green didn't just take over this team last week.

We are 0-2. How exactly are we better that 2003? Call me crazy, but I'm assuming football is about winning and losing. Now if we win 10 in a row, then you can toss out your "whatever dude... " comments.

If you cant see the difference between 2003 and 2005 you haen't been watching very closely. You expect going from the worst franchise in the NFL record wise over the past 50 years to a 12-4 winner of the superbowl in one year? Wow your standards are high.

Yeah let's go back to the Mac era where no one on the team even believed they could win. How many blowouts did this team suffer through in 2003? It is assinine to even compare that team and now...You honestly believe this franchise, this team, is no better off now than in 2003?

oK, well we get it you dont like Green...I am sure whatever other coach tis team would have brought in would have been sooo mch better.. :rolleyes:

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
JPlay said:
This question is simple.

No running game. Not enough running plays called. Keep pounding it. Try to mix in some Shipp and JJ more often next week. With a descent running attack the play action will be more effective and buy Warner time.

The Cards played good considering people were expected the Rams to blow us out. We had a shot to win at the end and held our own.

This team needs more balance.

Thats what some of us have been saying for years. Last year I running game suck, and the year before that, and the year before that, etc.

Its not a coincidence that we are consistently bad at running the ball and also consistent losers. They are tied together.

If you can't run the ball and stop the run on a consistent basis, you cannot regularly win this league. The sooner fans and this organization learns this the better

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Mitch said:
Canuck: My frustration and temper got the better of me when I signed off last year. When I came back I apologized for my rash decision and most of my fellow posters have been kind enough to accept my apology.

I HAVE to write my feelings or I will explode.

Like many of us...I am sick and tired of watching bad football from my favorite team of 43 years...yeah, yeah, yeah...I can quit being fan...but there's no quit in me there. I will be a Cardinal fan for the rest of my life.

I came back also because I realized that I was here rooting for the Cardinals long before Dennis Green arrived...and I will be here long after he's gone.

I do NOT have a personal vendetta against Dennis Green. I, like everyone else, want to see the Cardinals win...and if Green is the answer, I am all for it.

I made it public from the minute Dave McGinnis was let go that I wanted Charlie Weis as the Head Coach. I wanted Weis because I believe he brings a special talent as a play caller with him to the position...and in this day and age, with the parity of talent in the NFL, the teams that get their edge from creative coaches such as Weis are the teams that generally win.

With Dennis Green his special talent is working the NFL Draft. I would hire him as the GM in a blink of an eye.

As a Head Coach, he has not brought any special talent that has been readily discernable to this point. In fact, he's a lousy manager of the clock...he stands there stoically on the sideline...and never seems to do anything to motivate the players, except threaten them with their jobs.

If it hadn't been for Green's hiring of Clancy Pendergast, there's no telling how pitiful the Cardinals would still be. Pendergast has a good mind for the game...he's a little too zone happy for my tastes, but at least, he sprinkles in some aggressive stunts and blitz packages.

Last year Green did not get lucky with the hiring of Alex Wood. Game after game the play calling was atrocious...yet Green did NOTHING. Green kept talking about his TOP 5 Offesnsive System...but when Wood was clearly overwhelmed by the play calling responsibilities and the team was losing games because of it, Green never stepped in.

All Green did was fire the offensive line coach in order to appoint an old Viking player fresh off the waiver wire to be the new o-line coach. Even though the o-line was horrible last year...Green has stuck with the unqualified Lindsay.

Green went out and hired another offensive coordinator (Rowen) who has never called a play in the NFL...so...we have a super green OC and a super, super green OLC. It would be one thing if Green was there to call plays and orchestrate his so-called vaunted offense...but Green is so uninvolved that typically he either stands on the perimeter of the practice area simply observing...or he runs the scout team.

I am honestly not sure whether Dennis Green really remembers how to take over an offense and call the plays...because this team has desperately needed his direction...and he has put the fate of the team squarely in his assistants' hands, instead.

Green seems to fashion himself as a Bear Bryant type...oversee the operation from a distance...decide who plays and who goes...and let the assistants do all the work in the trenches.

If Green could make smarter decisions across the board...hiring an OC and OLC with direct NFL experience, for example...and if Green had a clue as to what kind of interior linemen he needs to win football games...Green could just as well operate from a distance.

The problem is...he has handicapped this team with rookie assistants and poor linemen...when the decisions could have been otherwise.

We are now staring an 3 or 4 win season in the face.

For the Cardinal fans who have been suffering for many years now...this is more agonizing than ever.

Green has talked playoffs since he arrived here...and he's brought some major league talent to the roster...but without providing key components at guard and nose tackle, and without making sure that the offense is in the hands of an experienced OC, he has essentially rendered this team too vulnerable to win...let alone get even a whiff of the playoffs.

We, as fans haven't been brain fu%^ed like this since Buddy trotted off into the sunset.

Once again...just two games into the season, the Cardinals are at rock bottom and bracing to try to climb their way out...which, year after year, gets more and more difficult to cope with.

Mitch: You and I are clearly on the same page and to use those magic words oft used on this board "I am buying into your system".

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
D-Dogg said:
Sorry, I'll take Green's ego over "One Heartbeat" 7 days a week.

So far what Green has done for us lies somewhere out there called the future. He had a bad record last year and we are beginning with a bad record this year. I could care less about DG's past I am living in the hear and now. What have you done for us lately DG in the way of winning football games.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Mitch said:
As for Kendall...how many of you have actually considered what the players feel about Kendall???...after all, he was protecting their rights...which as union representative was his job.

Dennis Green broke the off-season NFL rules...not by just a little...players were hitting each other unprotected and were getting hurt...

For those of you who think "Oh, come on, what a bunch of whimp losers"... Playing football is these players' livelihood...all of them are one bad injury from having to give the game up and possibly forfeit financial security for their families in the process....not to mention having to give up playing the game they love.

Pete Kendall is a tough hard-nosed football player who played hard and hurt for the Cardinals when the chips were down.

Some of you got sucked into the DG mystique all too easily.

Pete Kendall was not the problem...he would have been the Cardinals' best interior lineman last year...and quite frankly, with him in the lineup, the running game would have been much stronger...and in all likelihood the Cardinals would have won both the SF games and, in doing so, would have made the playoffs.

Green hung Kendall out to dry and allowed everyone to consider him a cancer and a pariah. It was unconscionable.

It was also a very poor football decision to get nothing in return for him...especially in light of the immediate interest Kendall garnered in the open market, and the subsequent $3M+/yr. contract he inked.

Shame on the Bidwills and Rod Graves too for allowing this to happen.

Meanwhile, Kendall has been embraced as a Godsend in New York...and cited as one of the major reasons why Curtis Martin galloped to 1,300 yards last season.

Kendall was the best OL we had and is playing better today than anyone on our present OL.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Evil Ash said:
If you can't run the ball and stop the run on a consistent basis, you cannot regularly win this league.
I think this is an outdated concept (much like batting average in baseball, somewhat important but not necessary) because I don't ever see this team consistently being in the Top 10 in rushing offense or rushing defense even if we are going to the playoffs. Green and Graves simply did not construct the team in the northern outdoors old-school fashion that you refer to.

The Cardinals are supposed to be a home run hitting big play offense with a fast defense that gets after the quarterback while creating turnovers. Expecting a team slow, plodding team that consistently lines up heavy and runs the ball in between the tackles while stacking the line with slow, but size-consuming behemoths is unrelaistic. In fact, it's stupid to even want such a team when everyone else in the division throws the ball and puts up points like it's going out of style.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Evil Ash said:
Thats what some of us have been saying for years. Last year I running game suck, and the year before that, and the year before that, etc.

Its not a coincidence that we are consistently bad at running the ball and also consistent losers. They are tied together.

If you can't run the ball and stop the run on a consistent basis, you cannot regularly win this league. The sooner fans and this organization learns this the better

Most of us, like you..have mastered the Football 101 obvious...

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
red desert said:

What a load. 'We are complaining because of our record'? As soon as we dropped a game you are on here quicker than a shot spouting off crap about Green.

Don't disguise your agenda behind this BS. It's painfully obvious what you are here to do. I just can't wait until you vultures go back under the rocks you crawled out from.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan