.....and the plot thickens............

Tangodnzr

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
This is great.

I ran across this in regards to Joe Bugel. He was indeed hired by the Redskins as a consultant in October. Foge Fazio had already been hired as one and a part-time scout also.

http://msn.espn.go.com/page2/s/hruby/031023.html

It sheds a little more light on what has and is going on with Snyder and the Redskins/ coaching changes/ Bugel...etc.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the radio Tuesday, Bugel said he has three offers to become an assistant from guys looking to be head coaches. He named no names. But, when he was asked about coaching here (as an assistant), he said it would be great, and he'd definitely consider it. He said it'd be very exciting to build a winner in this city.

I'd love it if the next coach got Bugel as his o-line coach. I think he'd do some very good things with our guys. Even Clement.

OP
OP
T

Tangodnzr

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
...just ran across this quote from him in 2002, when he "retired" from the Chargers:

The Bugels will maintain their condo in Coronado but will also continue their dual residence in Phoenix, where all three daughters and Joe's mother-in-law live.

"If I had to move away from here, I didn't want it to be somewhere far away," Bugel said. "My health is really good, and I've had a tremendous career.

pinnacle

Reaction score
Tango....I am not sure the Redskins stint lasted very long...Bugel is on KDUS every week from like mid-August until the end of december...and on one show he specifically said he went back to Washington at the request of Daniel Snyder (I think) and I know he said: I spent some time there...there were some things I did not like and decided to not go forward with the Redskins...that was like midway thru the 2003 season. I got the impression he was retained as a consultant - went back for awhile - but the gig did not last long as Bugel seems to have ended it. I do not know if his problem was with Spurrier, Snyder..or what the problem was...

I think he now resides in Fountain Hills, AZ for like 8 or 9 months of the year and has a place in san diego (coronado?) for the summer months..It seems like in august and the 1st half of September he was in San Diego when they talked to him - but ever since then he has been in Fountain Hills - and it sounds to me like he currently considers fountain hills home....

Figured I would give you out of towners an update who do not hear his show here in AZ (he is on weekly as a guest of Jurecki and Lewis).

Rats

Somanyfreaks,SofewCircus'
Reaction score
I always love listening to Buuggs talk football and he indeed did say that things didn't work out and he wasn't consulting for Wash anylonger back in Oct. He would be a good OL coach for us ala Hannifan for the Rams....it would be sweet.

OP
OP
T

Tangodnzr

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Thanks Pinnacle, your info is appreciated.

I'm sure you are right on with your comments.
Everything I've seen would tend to support exactly what you said.

OP
OP
T

Tangodnzr

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
OK...verified another of the little tidbits:

Fassel and Bugel coached together under Mike White for the Raiders in 1995, before Fassel left to come to Arizona.
edited to add: Bugel was asst head coach/offense, Fassel was QB coach.

I am still checking on Green, but I don't think his and Bugel's paths ever crossed while coaching(at least in the respect of coaching together).

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Tangodnzr

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
this quote from the Atlanta Journal after Green's interview with the Cards yesterday:

Green, who coached at Northwestern and Stanford, was asked about the personal problems he had off the field when he was at Minnesota.

``I don't worry too much about the past,'' he said. ``I've been co-chairman of the competition committee with (Atlanta Falcons' president) Rich McKay. Mr. Bidwill has been at league meetings and seen me sitting at the right hand of the commissioner. I am married, two beautiful small children, and have a lot of faith in myself.''

My question here: If Green has been co-chairman of the committee with Rich McKay, who was just recently hired away from Tampa to go to Atlanta....why hasn't Green's name cropped up as a possible candidate there? or has it?
Obviously those two are not exactly strangers to each other.

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Originally posted by Tangodnzr

My question here: If Green has been co-chairman of the committee with Rich McKay, who was just recently hired away from Tampa to go to Atlanta....why hasn't Green's name cropped up as a possible candidate there? or has it?
Obviously those two are not exactly strangers to each other.

Maybe they do not like each other. Maybe the Falcons are looking for someone more "dynamic" or a coordinator that demands less pay on the market. Maybe Lovie has expressed such strong interest that they are not taking any other candidates seriously until he is free after the playoffs.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Every single story on Reeves' firing mentioned Green as a candidate for the Falcons job. Who knows? Maybe Green just is not interested in coaching in Atlanta. If the Cards front office is judging the worthiness of candidates by the amount of interest shown in them by the Atlanta Falcons, we're screwed.

pinnacle

Reaction score
could be that Lovie Smith has the job sewed up in Atlanta due to his previous relationship with McKay.

I also vaguely remember someone saying during the season that Dennis Greens old agent was in charge in Atlanta and Green would be their coach if they ever got rid of Reeves.....which is odd because it was not McKay to my knowledge...perhaps this person is no longer with the Falcons?

prior to Tango's post on the Fassel Bugel connection - I had assumed Fassell and Bugel had some type of history - but I doubt Green and Bugel did....I was guessing Bugel was talking to Fassel about the Cardinals job - but that was a guess...

Tango: of the 4 coaches mentioned.....Jim Johnson might have the closest connection to Bugel...Jim Johnson.. I think.. has worked with Bugel before..or so I remember hearing..

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember Bugel saying during the year that he was offered a position w/ Washington as a a consultant. I believe he acted in that capacity for a week or so. Some of the things that Snyder was having him do seemed to undermine some of the staff. He then stated that he relinquished the position because he didn't want to step on the toes of the Redskins' Coach, GM (?), and assistant coaches.

Joe's a class guy and this really shows how stand up he is.

OP
OP
T

Tangodnzr

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You are exactly right Pinnacle.

This is from an article on Dec. 14. BEFORE the Falcons hired Rich McKay.

"Falcons owner Arthur Blank was clear Wednesday when he fired Dan Reeves that his next coach won't make personnel decisions. Reeves' title was executive vice president/head coach.

"We're not going to hire that kind of person," Blank said matter-of-factly.

Green has surfaced as a candidate for Reeves' replacement. Not only was Green a successful coach, his former agent, Ray Anderson, is the Falcons' executive vice president/chief administrative officer."

So McKay's hiring has probably changed things "considerably" since then. But I haven't heard Green's name mentioned there much since then.

JHall

Veteran
Reaction score
Bugel went to DC for one day watching over game tape of a Redskin game (Spurrier had major problems protecting his QB). He was quickly in and out the back door before anyone knew it.

Spurrier was not informed of his arrival. Probably one of the reasons he ended up quitting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stbmd