2024-2025 Around the NBA Thread

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
The Nets are trying to continue the fire sale. Reports are that they have been trying to desperately move Ben Simmons but nobody is biting.
They should trade him to the Bulls for Zach LaVine. And then the Bulls can trade him back to the Nets for LaVine a year from now.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They should trade him to the Bulls for Zach LaVine. And then the Bulls can trade him back to the Nets for LaVine a year from now.

I'm not sure who the better tank commander is, Simmons or Lavine. Both will miss a lot of games. Lavine hasn't seen a shot he wouldn't take and Simmons hasn't seen a shot he would attempt. Both bad in their own special way.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not convinced Klay isn't a shell of his former self. If that is the case? Definitely not an upgrade. Maybe Klay just needed a change of scenery.

I think the question to me is can Klay adjust to the role. Luka and Kyrie are VERY ball dominant, he's never played in a system like that, his entire NBA career has been on a team that moves the ball now he'll be asked to stand in the corner and catch and shoot 3's. He can absolutely fit there he's a great shooter, but it's a huge change for him he's just never played in that system.

I'm a bit mad at the bay area media planting all these Klay was bad in the lockerroom etc stories now that he's gone. My take is as a Warrior fan I went 40 years between titles and Klay helped change that. So I'm giving him a pass. I think he wanted too much money and I don't think he ever accepted he wasn't the same guy when he came back, but that just makes him human not a bad guy IMO.

I hope he does well, all time great Warrior player.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I think the question to me is can Klay adjust to the role. Luka and Kyrie are VERY ball dominant, he's never played in a system like that, his entire NBA career has been on a team that moves the ball now he'll be asked to stand in the corner and catch and shoot 3's. He can absolutely fit there he's a great shooter, but it's a huge change for him he's just never played in that system.

I'm a bit mad at the bay area media planting all these Klay was bad in the lockerroom etc stories now that he's gone. My take is as a Warrior fan I went 40 years between titles and Klay helped change that. So I'm giving him a pass. I think he wanted too much money and I don't think he ever accepted he wasn't the same guy when he came back, but that just makes him human not a bad guy IMO.

The breakup was inevitable but he was one of the most devastating two-way players of this generation. He was capable of scoring 30+ points in a quarter or taking over do or die playoff games. Such an underrated player all time but he’s clearly cooked physically and getting by on just his 3pt ability. I think they’re counting on him to be Ray Allen with the Heat.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The breakup was inevitable but he was one of the most devastating two-way players of this generation. He was capable of scoring 30+ points in a quarter or taking over do or die playoff games. Such an underrated player all time but he’s clearly cooked physically and getting by on just his 3pt ability. I think they’re counting on him to be Ray Allen with the Heat.

Reading my mind as I literally today watched the 37 point quarter against the Kings on youtube!

Still one of the more amazing feats in NBA history. I think he had like 8 dribbles or something like that in the entire quarter. 37 points, 13-13 from the floor 9 for 9 from 3.

Darren Collison was the PG for the Kings I saw an interview where he said he's never in his career seen anybody that hot at any level. There's one 3 where the ball hits the rim and somehow goes in and you can see the look on Collison's face, what is going on.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Reading my mind as I literally today watched the 37 point quarter against the Kings on youtube!

Still one of the more amazing feats in NBA history. I think he had like 8 dribbles or something like that in the entire quarter. 37 points, 13-13 from the floor 9 for 9 from 3.

Darren Collison was the PG for the Kings I saw an interview where he said he's never in his career seen anybody that hot at any level. There's one 3 where the ball hits the rim and somehow goes in and you can see the look on Collison's face, what is going on.

Lorenzo

Reaction score

that's one of the most incredible things I've ever seen in the NBA.

I think dallas are hoping to tweak things a little on offense, but you are correct. if dallas' offense doesn't change much from what it was this year, then that means Klay will have a lot of catch and shoot, put the ball down and shoot a 2 off the dribble, or drive to the rack if its there. dallas desperately needs someone with Klay's ability on offense. This makes PJ Washington their fourth or fifth best scorer and that's a good thing because that's where he can be more effective.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I think part of the problem with Klay and his contract demands were the Warriors own doing by extending Draymond to a ridiculous deal. Klay has been a model citizen, even through his injuries, and they paid Draymond more than they offered him. I'd be pissed too. I can't blame him for wanting out. He didn't seem to cause issues throughout his contract issues or when he was moved to the bench last season, with his contract issues being unresolved at that time. Not a lot of "stars" would quietly accept a demotion without an extension like he did.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that's one of the most incredible things I've ever seen in the NBA.

I think dallas are hoping to tweak things a little on offense, but you are correct. if dallas' offense doesn't change much from what it was this year, then that means Klay will have a lot of catch and shoot, put the ball down and shoot a 2 off the dribble, or drive to the rack if its there. dallas desperately needs someone with Klay's ability on offense. This makes PJ Washington their fourth or fifth best scorer and that's a good thing because that's where he can be more effective.

The no dribble stuff is classic Klay, he's had 30 points on like 4 dribbles in a whole game before! But he's always been in a system with lots of ball movement, no idea how long it will take him to get used to watching Luka and Kyrie and waiting for the ball. But he's a great shooter, my guess is he'll get lots of open looks playing with them.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think part of the problem with Klay and his contract demands were the Warriors own doing by extending Draymond to a ridiculous deal. Klay has been a model citizen, even through his injuries, and they paid Draymond more than they offered him. I'd be pissed too. I can't blame him for wanting out. He didn't seem to cause issues throughout his contract issues or when he was moved to the bench last season, with his contract issues being unresolved at that time. Not a lot of "stars" would quietly accept a demotion without an extension like he did.

And now we're told his agent made 4 different proposals to the Warriors and each time were asked to wait as they had other priorities.

So yeah hard for me to see him as a bad guy in this. It's a business

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I expect they're also going to task him as the primary wing defender, and he just isn't that guy anymore. And, as we've seen, when Klay is getting roasted on defense, it melts away his confidence across the board.

I don't think Klay is a bad dude though, but he's been in his own head for a while. I don't doubt that his attitude much of the last year was a drag on the clubhouse. He isn't toxic, especially not in the traditional sense. He isn't whining about touches, he isn't boasting about how great he is and he certainly isn't trashing on teammates. Instead, he is down on himself, beating himself up because he isn't the dude he was before 2 devastating injuries.

I don't see it working out in Dallas for him because he's going to have pressure to be that guy, that player is gone, and I don't think Kyrie or Luka are very supportive teammates.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I expect they're also going to task him as the primary wing defender, and he just isn't that guy anymore. And, as we've seen, when Klay is getting roasted on defense, it melts away his confidence across the board.

I don't think Klay is a bad dude though, but he's been in his own head for a while. I don't doubt that his attitude much of the last year was a drag on the clubhouse. He isn't toxic, especially not in the traditional sense. He isn't whining about touches, he isn't boasting about how great he is and he certainly isn't trashing on teammates. Instead, he is down on himself, beating himself up because he isn't the dude he was before 2 devastating injuries.

I don't see it working out in Dallas for him because he's going to have pressure to be that guy, that player is gone, and I don't think Kyrie or Luka are very supportive teammates.

The one negative I had with Klay last year was he shot us out of a bunch of games, 4-5 where if he would just not have forced a bunch of shots we would have won. It was a common theme the media picked up on, he still thinks he's that guy and he's not and it has cost the team a few games where he forced things. But I doubt that will be a problem in Dallas because they have Luka and Kyrie.

I hope it works well for him I love the guy, but I do think it was probably time to move on. Sounds like they have a sign and trade for Hield, not Klay Thompson but a guy who can shoot the 3. They brought in Melton, my guess is it probably means my guy GP2 is either going to see greatly reduced role or move on. Love the guy but last few years he has been unable to stay healthy and the type of injuries that are unlikely to stop happening in the future. I'd love for them to go one more year with him but Steph, Podz, Melton and Hield would all likely be in front of him and unless Moody is part of this alleged attempt to get Lauri Markkanen, he would be too.

If they get Lauri they're in a sense replacing Klay offensively with him, and right now Lauri is the better offensive guy.

The key to their chances next year IMO are the hope that Podz and Kuminga take that next step, if they get Lauri you're looking Draymond, Lauri, Kuminga, Steph and Podz. 2 really good defenders and Kuminga can guard too. But the bench would look pretty weak beyond Hield and Melton and Jackson-Davis so I'm hoping GP2 sticks.

I'm glad they passed on LaVine.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
-
Remember when Jaylen Brown signed for $300m a year ago. Now rookies are basically getting $50+ mil a year too. Not sure what the endgame is here when it comes to the cap. Bill Simmons said players drafted by the team shouldn’t count towards the 2nd apron. Mediocre teams like Orlando, Cleveland and Toronto are basically screwed paying these guys.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
-
Remember when Jaylen Brown signed for $300m a year ago. Now rookies are basically getting $50+ mil a year too. Not sure what the endgame is here when it comes to the cap. Bill Simmons said players drafted by the team shouldn’t count towards the 2nd apron. Mediocre teams like Orlando, Cleveland and Toronto are basically screwed paying these guys.

The new CBA needs to be renegotiated. Players got it wrong.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
-
Another very likely toxic contract that Orlando will be looking to unload in a season or two.