Another mvp-like game for Nash 4-29

bigfoot

Mystery solved.
Reaction score
Did you hear the commentator say some thing like: "Steve Nash ... my MVP ... i'd like to change my mind if they'll allow me to do that". (referring to the ballot he already cast)
It drives me nuts.
:mad:
The two-time MVP probably could care less if he doesn't get it this time, but I care coz I think he deserves it! And it irks me when people who didn't vote for him try to undo their mistake by saying things like this. This is already the second time a commentator said something like this.

Last edited:

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It would be the supreme irony if Dirk wins the MVP and the Mavs lose in the first round.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It would be the supreme irony if Dirk wins the MVP and the Mavs lose in the first round.

other than the suns winning the championship, that would be the coolest thing that could possibly happen

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the TV analysts said two weeks. I kept thinking this is so not what the Suns are about, although I do wish Nash would win the MVP for a third time.

TheFallen49

Veteran
Reaction score
Dirk deserved the award, I don't know why everyone seems to be changing their minds now just because his team has lost two games in the playoffs (and have only played 3 thus far).

I'll tell you what, if by some chance Phoenix slaughters the Spurs and takes them 4-0 I will concede that Nash is the MVP... but that won't happen. Nor will Golden State beating the Mavericks occur, Mavs in 6.

msdundee

Registered
Reaction score
Charlie Rosen's write-up on today's game at msn.foxsports.com:

"How could anybody even entertain the thought that little Stevie Wonder should not be a three-time MVP?"

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
Charlie Rosen's write-up on today's game at msn.foxsports.com:

"How could anybody even entertain the thought that little Stevie Wonder should not be a three-time MVP?"

He also said... "And what's there to be said about Steve Nash that hasn't already been said? How about this: If Magic was the best fast-break/early-offense passer ever, then Nash is the best half-court passer ever."

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Dirk deserved the award, I don't know why everyone seems to be changing their minds now just because his team has lost two games in the playoffs (and have only played 3 thus far).

I'll tell you what, if by some chance Phoenix slaughters the Spurs and takes them 4-0 I will concede that Nash is the MVP... but that won't happen. Nor will Golden State beating the Mavericks occur, Mavs in 6.
We are talking about MVP of the regular season so technically it doesn't really matter what either player does in the playoffs. But Dirk "deserved" it only if you consider MVP to be the best player on the team that won the most games. Nash clearly was and still is the more valuable player.

Steel Sun

I hate John Paxson
Reaction score
Did you hear the commentator say some thing like: "Steve Nash ... my MVP ... i'd like to change my mind if they'll allow me to do that". (referring to the ballot he already cast)
It drives me nuts.
The two-time MVP probably could care less if he doesn't get it this time, but I care coz I think he deserves it! And it irks me when people who didn't vote for him try to undo their mistake by saying things like this. This is already the second time a commentator said something like this.
$$$$$
For anyone to have voted for a 7ft 1 dimensional fade away jump shooter
is insane
so they're backtracking makes them even sound like bigger idiots

Steel Sun

I hate John Paxson
Reaction score

Look at the numbers
He deserves to win the award why?
because of all those fade away jumpers he makes?
the guy plays NO defense and doesn't avg 10 boards a game and he is a 7ftr
HELLO

supernova

Rookie
Reaction score
Nash is quite obviously the MVP, but I would prefer Dirk get it this year. I'm sure Nash feels the same. Let Dirk deal with the pressure while Nash wins the ring.

supernova

Rookie
Reaction score
I hope Nash becomes like Magic, and routes for one of his teammates (like STAT) to get the MVP next year. I wouldn't be surprised. He brought the whole team up when he won the first. Nash is the ultimate team player. I really hope the Suns win it just for the kids. Pass first instead of hog the ball a la Kobe -- what a concept.

GO SUNS!

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Forget the kids...win it for me damn it!! :D

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
I wonder how the early postseason performances of the 2 and their respective teams will have an effect on the MVP voting. I think you can't help but let this early postseason skew the MVP vote - it's pertinent to the fact. Nash HAS to win MVP now....

msdundee

Registered
Reaction score
I wonder how the early postseason performances of the 2 and their respective teams will have an effect on the MVP voting. I think you can't help but let this early postseason skew the MVP vote - it's pertinent to the fact. Nash HAS to win MVP now....

I wish that were true, but I think the MVP votes had to be in a week ago this past Friday. My guess is that a lot would change their vote right now if they could -- 2 or 3 have said so outright.

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I am sure the votes are in.

In theory, the MVP is about the regular season and only the regular season. Obviously, most of the MVP candidates will get into the playoffs, but not always. It is not fair to great players on lottery teams to compete with guys in the playoffs, since the playoff performances would get too much consideration.

You would think that the MVP of the playoffs would be given as much recognition as the League MVP, but it doesn't seem to work that way.

TheFallen49

Veteran
Reaction score
Look at the numbers
He deserves to win the award why?
because of all those fade away jumpers he makes?
the guy plays NO defense and doesn't avg 10 boards a game and he is a 7ftr
HELLO

His numbers show amazing efficiency, and in basketball its clearly not obvious as say giving your team a few assists to the average fan but when you look at the PER formula it becomes a little more clear. I'll say this once again: he does the most with the least. And yes, he is the best player on the best team (far and away the best team) of the regular season, so just an example of how there is more than one argument for Dirk being the MVP.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
His numbers show amazing efficiency, and in basketball its clearly not obvious as say giving your team a few assists to the average fan but when you look at the PER formula it becomes a little more clear. I'll say this once again: he does the most with the least. And yes, he is the best player on the best team (far and away the best team) of the regular season, so just an example of how there is more than one argument for Dirk being the MVP.

Dirk has not been the best player on the best team in the playoffs. However, it's a regular season award. If not for the record the Mavs had, Dirk would not have had a chance at the MVP IMO. Oh and by the way what is your definition of far and away? 6 games better then the Suns? 9 better then the Spurs? Hardly far and away the best team.

hafey

Registered
Reaction score
If anything, the playoffs may've shown Dirk is indeed the second best player on the best regular season team. Howard is quickly narrowing the distance between the two.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05