Arizona drops demand for Shelton compensation

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Skkorpion said:
That's fine. We like Shelton a lot. Don't do the deal then. Many of us would rather keep Shelton. If you do get Shelton, within a year you'll be bragging how you got the better end of the deal.

And your item 6 is just wrong. Shelton plays through pain and injuries. The guy is tough.

If this trade fails, we will still have a player we like who will work hard and play anywhere on the oline he's asked to play.

Both GMs should be shot if the one for one trade falls through. This is a rare win-win trade with both teams getting good value.

Right you are. We are in a win win. I like Shelton and we can use him and we have him for 3 years. I like Henry and we can use him. Buffalo is going to lose Henry anyway you cut it.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
DMBills36 said:
Donahoe and many of us in Buffalo don't exactly see Shelton as being equivalent to Henry, for a few of the following reasons:

1. Both lost their starting job, but Shelton more due to poor performance and not getting along with the coaching staff (this is a red flag to people like Donahoe)
2. Henry is a pro-bowler, Shelton is not
3. Henry is cheaper, Shelton is moderately priced
4. Henry has a 1 yr deal, Shelton has 3 or 4 more
5. There is a moderate age difference
6. Henry is a warrior who can play injured, Shelton is not known as a warrior.

:biglaugh:

You guys have no room to bargain. None.

*wipes tears from eyes*

Aside from most of the astute reasons listed above, I will simply reiterate that if the trade doesn't happen, we keep a reasonably good lineman and at the LEAST an invaluable backup, and at the MOST a solid starter. If the trade doesn't happen, you guys get nothing at all, aside from a major headache when Henry holds out. Then he walks and you get nothing.

If anyone is in a position to be bent over the barrel for draft picks, it's the Bills. But we've backed off on the extra pick demand. Clearly, to a logical mind, the Bills are in a poorer negotiating position. We'll see what happens from here.

spanky1

Reaction score
Would people consider trading our #8 to Buffalo for Henry and their #55 in round two?

Just a thought........not advocating it by any means.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
spanky1 said:
Would people consider trading our #8 to Buffalo for Henry and their #55 in round two?

absolutely not. The Henry trade would be FANTASTIC because it allows us to get one of THE best CBs along with the RB we need.

What exactly is the thought behind it? Keeping LJ for depth? Let us shore up glaring holes before we worry about depth - right now they are(and have been for years) RB and CB - get those taken care of and build depth in the draft.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
spanky1 said:

No, thanks!

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
DMBills36 said:
Donahoe and many of us in Buffalo don't exactly see Shelton as being equivalent to Henry, for a few of the following reasons:

1. Both lost their starting job, but Shelton more due to poor performance and not getting along with the coaching staff (this is a red flag to people like Donahoe)
2. Henry is a pro-bowler, Shelton is not
3. Henry is cheaper, Shelton is moderately priced
4. Henry has a 1 yr deal, Shelton has 3 or 4 more
5. There is a moderate age difference
6. Henry is a warrior who can play injured, Shelton is not known as a warrior.

1 is inaccurate. shelton was injured and reported to camp out of shape as a result. whereas henry DID lose his job due to performance, both his own and mcgahee's. the bills decided to go w/ mcgahee b/c the team wasn't getting it done w/ henry behind bledsoe. i must say, i'm a henry fan, but that causes me consternation. and not getting along with the staff? you're kidding, right? it was henry, not shelton who came out in the media to say he wouldn't play for his team again.

2 is also a bad ploy. neither were pro bowlers last year. just b/c someone made a pro bowl sometime doesn't mean they are still that caliber. we have to wait and see if henry still has that in him. heck, troy aikman made a lot of pro bowls but that don't mean he's got more value than shelton.

3 is comparing apples and oranges. shelton is cheap for a LT. see your boy jennings who left y'all high and dry. henry's deal is only for one year, he ain't gonna be "cheap" for much longer.

4 is actually in shelton's favor. you have a LT locked up for years whereas the cards would have to negotiate a new deal with a rb who thinks pretty highly of himself.

5 is negligible. i mean, LTs play a lot longer in this league effectively than do rbs. this is either a wash or plays in shelton's favor.

6 is rather meaningless in determining trade value.

both sides are being homers here. it should be straight up and both teams are better. simply put.

Mrh182

Jai Guru Deva OM
Reaction score
I have the solution...

We send buffalo our #8, Shelton, and swap 2nds

We get Henry and the swap.

Now that is a fair trade!

:biglaugh:

Rats

Somanyfreaks,SofewCircus'
Reaction score
DMBills36 said:
I say if you don't think highly enough of Shelton then we will give the 3rd rd pick that Henry is really worth with only a one year deal. Of course we are the only team that will give you a pick for him. And it will be the pick we got from NE. You have Zero leverage....you might want to tell TD that. :rolleyes:

DMBills36

can't stop this
Reaction score
Rats said:
I say if you don't think highly enough of Shelton then we will give the 3rd rd pick that Henry is really worth with only a one year deal. Of course we are the only team that will give you a pick for him. And it will be the pick we got from NE. You have Zero leverage....you might want to tell TD that. :rolleyes:

People, stop saying we have no leverage. We don't need Shelton as much as you don't need Henry.

From Insider chat with Todd McShay of Scouts, Inc
Mike (Tuscon, AZ): What will Arizona do now that Kurt Warner has come -- RB?

Todd McShay: I'm hearing that the Cardinals will get a trade down with the Bills in the next few days. The Cards will send Shelton and their second round pick (44) to Buffalo in exchange for RB Travis Henry and their second round pick (55). If that's the case, cornerback will be the Cardinals top priority. It will likely be either Antrel Rolle or Pac-Man Jones.

This does not mean it will happen, but it is worth noting. I understand where you are all coming from, but really, Henry is worth more than Shelton. Donahoe will not back down, either. I guess we'll all just keep our eyes open these next few days and see if it happens.

Last edited:

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Cards could very well be stalling.

There is no hurry to make this trade. It could be we are going to wait until the 1 or 2 rb's we want are off the board.

For instance, Brown goes to the Dolphins and the Bucs grab Williams. At that point we call the Bills and complete the deal.

DMBills36

can't stop this
Reaction score
slanidrac16 said:
The Cards could very well be stalling.

There is no hurry to make this trade. It could be we are going to wait until the 1 or 2 rb's we want are off the board.

For instance, Brown goes to the Dolphins and the Bucs grab Williams. At that point we call the Bills and complete the deal.

Who is stalling depends on how you look at it. The Cards are stalling in that they won't accept that we want an exchange of picks, too. The Bills are stalling in that, Donahoe will not blink (so to speak) and we will not do this trade straight-up.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
DMBills36 said:
Who is stalling depends on how you look at it. The Cards are stalling in that they won't accept that we want an exchange of picks, too. The Bills are stalling in that, Donahoe will not blink (so to speak) and we will not do this trade straight-up.

Then it won't get done. It's hilarious telling us to stop saying you don't have leverage. You have a guy who will hold out and then leave after a year. We have a guy we can keep and be productive. Why in the WORLD would we give up anything else? I mean, wow, it ain't rocket science, bro.

DMBills36

can't stop this
Reaction score
Stout said:
Then it won't get done. It's hilarious telling us to stop saying you don't have leverage. You have a guy who will hold out and then leave after a year. We have a guy we can keep and be productive. Why in the WORLD would we give up anything else? I mean, wow, it ain't rocket science, bro.

I don't see how it's hilarious. You have just as little leverage because there is no reason in hell that the team will want to pay $3 Mill for a mere backup. Henry will be fined if he holds out and will pretty much commit career suicide. If we hold on to him and he comes back he is a solid backup. Don't tell me he won't play hard because he will be playing for his worth in 2006 Free-Agency. And don't tell me it's not rocket science. You're practically calling me an idiot when I'm just looking at it from the opposite side of the ball, BUDDY.

Last edited:

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stout said:

:thumbup:

Rats

Somanyfreaks,SofewCircus'
Reaction score
DMBills36 said:
I don't see how it's hilarious. You have just as little leverage because there is no reason in hell that the team will want to pay $3 Mill for a mere backup. Henry will be fined if he holds out and will pretty much commit career suicide. If we hold on to him and he comes back he is a solid backup. Don't tell me he won't play hard because he will be playing for his worth in 2006 Free-Agency. And don't tell me it's not rocket science. You're practically calling me an idiot when I'm just looking at it from the opposite side of the ball, BUDDY.
That is just it. If Shelton remains on our team we will be paying 3mil for our starting Right Tackle. He isn't a backup if he is still on the team. How could he be a back up for us and a starting LT for you....this is insane. Again, if you want to scrap the Shelton trade and take the 3rd rd pick (NE) for Henry then I believe DG will accomodate you. It is the true worth of a player( with only one season left on there contract) that has said he won't be playing for the Bills again. If he holds out you will be lucky to get a second day pick in next years draft for him. Even up swap for players is the only win win in this deal and you know it so don't try and BS a BS er.....life is to short :thumbup:

DMBills36

can't stop this
Reaction score
Rats said:
That is just it. If Shelton remains on our team we will be paying 3mil for our starting Right Tackle. He isn't a backup if he is still on the team. How could he be a back up for us and a starting LT for you....this is insane. Again, if you want to scrap the Shelton trade and take the 3rd rd pick (NE) for Henry then I believe DG will accomodate you. It is the true worth of a player( with only one season left on there contract) that has said he won't be playing for the Bills again. If he holds out you will be lucky to get a second day pick in next years draft for him. Even up swap for players is the only win win in this deal and you know it so don't try and BS a BS er.....life is to short :thumbup:

Todd McShay: I'm hearing that the Cardinals will get a trade down with the Bills in the next few days. The Cards will send Shelton and their second round pick (44) to Buffalo in exchange for RB Travis Henry and their second round pick (55). If that's the case, cornerback will be the Cardinals top priority. It will likely be either Antrel Rolle or Pac-Man Jones.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DMBills36 said:

Just because a media guy is "hearing something" doesn't mean it is true.

Look, we don't have to call you names, you are doing a good job of establishing one.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Rats said:

shelton won't start at RT for us. ross is going to start. shelton will find his way outta az one way or the other. may be in the trade for henry, may be in a trade for draft picks. anyway you look at it, the cards ain't planning on having LJ here next year.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh and I really hope this trade doesn't go through...even straight up.

Henry is a fumbler and is going to want a big deal. The Cardinals are not in any sort of cap problems and can easily afford to keep Shelton as a top backup.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
guys, take it easy on the bills fan. while i don't agree with his assessment it's hardly way off base and he's not being a jerk. he's being a bills fan and viewing it from a bills perspective. lay off.

spanky1

Reaction score
DMBills36 said:

Bottom Line= Player for Player trade.....that's it.....pure and simple. Whoever Todd McShay is don't mean beans.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ouchie-Z-Clown said:
while i don't agree with his assessment it's hardly way off base.

It is way off base. His little list of reasons why Henry is worth extra compensation was laughable.

When he feels like being realistic, then he won't get ouchied (clowned).

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan