ARZ 21 PIT 13: Analysis and Player Notes

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
I agree about bridges. He looks like a viable option at RT. Better than wakefield and actually better than ross in pass protection.

Still worried about the run game.

I do not buy the line about our d and pass offense being good enough to get us to the playoffs (sorry conrad).

My heart skipped a beat when Warner pulled it down and ran on the first pass play.

If we have to pass 35 times a game because we can't run, Warner won't last six games.

And if he doesn't start the vast majority of our games, we won't make the playoffs.

But, like someone said, it's still early. And, pitts dline is really good. So no need to hit the panic button yet.

Doc Cardinal

Old Fart
Reaction score
I've watched half of the game on my DVR and hope to watch the second half later.

You local guys sure are lucky to be able to go to these guys at that stadium....traffic problems or not.

Bridges shocked me the most as well....he was aggressive and quick...and we know he's huge.

Arrington seemed to be improved but this is only the pre-season.....maybe the improved o-line has helped him as well.

The d-line was very impressive....our rotation looks solid and even though some project Lewis to the practice squad he still looked mighty good yesterday at DT.

I'm excited.

GO CARDS

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
91 Langston Moore-DT. To me THE shock and surprise of camp. Hardy Brown first called it...way to go, man...and we all saw it yesterday. Not only does he plug the middle like Ted Washington, he gets to the ball and he has a good bullrush on pass plays. If he keeps playing like this...not only will be be the starter...this defense could...(I don't want to get too far ahead of myself...but I think you all know what I'm thinking).

Several of us were talking about how good he looked during games last season.

That he played well is no surprise to me.

Same with Antonio Smith.

These are the guys who got unexpected and valuable playing time last season and hopefully it will continue to pay off for Arizona.

Red Dawn

Go Big Red!
Reaction score
Nice job Mitch...I also liked the screen passes, they are a thing of beauty when run correctly. There's nothing like the sight of a couple of huge OL out front looking for someone to hit.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
vince56 said:
I don't always agree with your comments Walter, specifically the past few years, but I'd have to say these points especially are 100% right on. The defensive line looks like it has the makings of the best DL we've ever seen here. Yeah, we don't have an Eric Swann on the line, but we have amazing defensive ends and for the first time, big & strong bulls at defensive tackle. I hope we see a lot of Moore, Watson, & Clancy this year just plugging up the middle, taking on 2 linemen, & freeing up Dockett & the LBs to make plays.

Damn it's amazing we actually have runstuffers!! What a difference a year makes. I'm thoroughly excited about the defense this year because of how the front seven played yesterday.

Francisco looked great too. If he continues to improve, I think he could see a lot of time at FS this year in place of Griffith. You're dead-on right when you say he's getting the cover 2 system down. He puts his body in just the right place to be effective & disruptive.

Vince: Three cheers for run stuffers! I too am delirious about it.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Chainthroer said:
Mitch - Thanks for the comments. You refreshed my recollection on a couple areas. I'm going to watch the replay on TV today. I believe it's 1pm.

Thank you, Chainthroer. What did you think watching the tape the second time around?

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
ArizonaSportsFan said:
Nice that Francisco is playing well. He is from my alma mater (BYU). He is an energy guy and in college would hit like a linebacker from the safety/corner position.

Yes, ASF, Francisco is playing with confidence and certainty.

Like the ol' Mormon theme song...

If you're going to bring 'em...Brigham Young!

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Snakester said:
Great stuff Walter. Keep it coming! I'm just going over the game now and I also see alot of positives. I agree with you about Jeremy Bridges. He already looks alot better than Ross did at any point last year. He also played much better than Wakefield did as well. I also agree that Milford Brown looks very stout at his RG position. He played better than I expected him to this early in the preseason.

Thanks, Gary. No one breaks down a tape better than you, my friend.

Which reminds me of why your analyses were always so helpful...so many times it SEEMS an offensive lineman is having an awful day, but when you watch the tape and watch his performance play after play, you realize that he wasn't playing nearly as bad as you thought...like Stepanovich on Saturday...he actually played pretty darn well, all things considered.

Gary-as you well know-running plays can get blown up by one missed block (or assignment) or the right defensive scheme call...or just simply disrupted timing.

Like the first play to Edge...had Reggie Wells gotten off the ball properly and executed a simple down block on the DT...Edge would have had a cut back hole the size of a 4 wheeler. Instead the DT beats Wells off the ball and winds up in Edge's grill.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Duetto said:
NFLE stats for Boyd, he was an int machine. He couldn't hit the side of a barn in NFLE.

S.Boyd, Col (PIT)185
10054.11,1396.1652.780t115.910/3657.0

5 tds, 11 ints, 57.0 rating

Thanks for the stats, Duetto. To be honest, after watching Boyd play Saturday, his NFLE stats mean little to me. What I saw was a poised, calm, fundamentally sound QB who can beat you with his arm and his legs. If his WRs and TEs didn't drop so many balls, Boyd would likely have gotten much more notice and points than what he got.

On the flip side, Navarre looked panicky, indecisive at times, and his arm and footwork fundamentals were suspect on many plays.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
18. Zamir Cobb, Longshot

Mitch, make that a REAL long shot. I believe he was cut a few weeks back. Thanks for a great read. I agree with just about all of your assessments.

Chainthroer

Registered
Reaction score
Mitch-
You must have recorded the video and replayed and replayed. The problem I had with the replay is that most of the video is taken straight on from the side line. Can not pick player numbers like you would from an angled look. But I was able to reconfirm at lot of what you saw. Also, I agree now that Step was better than I originally thought.

Last edited:

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Mitch said:
53 Roster Prediction (I'll update each week during the pre-season)...and please, as always, make your own.

1-3 QB Warner, Leinart, Navarre

4-6 RB James, Shipp, Arrington

7-8 FB Bronson, Ayanbadejo

9-13 WR Boldin, Fitzgerald, Johnson, McCoy, Walters

14-16 TE Bergen, Edwards, Pope

17-25 OL Davis, Wells, Stepanovich, M. Brown, Bridges, Wakefield (or Ross), Lutui, Leckey, E. Brown.

26-33 DL Okeafor, Dockett, Moore, Berry, Smith, Clancy, Lewis, Watson

34-41 LB Dansby, Darling, Huff, Pace, Hayes, Blackstock, Johnson, Mitchell

42-50 DB Rolle, Wilson, Griffith, Macklin, Reid, Francisco, Brewer, Shazor, Green

51-53 ST Player, Hodel, Rackers

PS 1-8: WRs Holiday, Spurlock and Lee, DE Schable, DT Bulman, DBs Hunter, Wyatt, McCareins
Great analysis, Walter. (As usual)

Minor differences from the way I see see the final roster.

I don't think we'll carry 5 safeties. Francisco is perhaps the most improved player on the team. He looked great and I think that will cost Brewer a job on the final roster - despite his good ST play. Francisco just looks much better as a FS and he too was impressive on ST.

And with OL being our major weakness, I think that they'll make room for Wakefield, Bridges AND Ross. Several teams carry 10 OL on the final roster, so I don't see why we wouldn't.
OT - Davis, Ross, Bridges, Wakefield
G - Wells, Brown, Brown, Lutui
C - Step, Leckey

Our back-up LBs also looked very well, so I don't see the need to carry 8 LBs. IMO Johnson didn't show anything to convince me that he shouldn't spend a season on the PS. Mitchell isn't a lock to make the roster. Reports about him from camp have been confusing - some good and some bad. IMO we could be down to 6 LBs on the final roster or 7 if Mark Brown get a roster spot. I could easily see Mitchell/Johnson on the PS and Hunter/McCareins on the final roster.

What about King? He's going to be on the PUP until week 4 or so. What happens when he gets back?

Another thing I could see happen is using a PS spot for Capshaw.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
BACH said:
What about King? He's going to be on the PUP until week 4 or so. What happens when he gets back?

I don't think this is the case. I think that once a player participates in training camp, they can't be placed on the PUP list for the regular season (joe?). He'll either go on IR (again!) or we'll have to carry him as an inactive player into the regular season...

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
I don't think this is the case. I think that once a player participates in training camp, they can't be placed on the PUP list for the regular season (joe?). He'll either go on IR (again!) or we'll have to carry him as an inactive player into the regular season...
Players can be kept on the PUP list until week 6, then the team has to either put him on IR or the active roster. (Unless there's a new rule this season)

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
BACH said:
Players can be kept on the PUP list until week 6, then the team has to either put him on IR or the active roster. (Unless there's a new rule this season)

I know that's true if the player didn't participate in training camp, but I'm not sure it's true if they get injured in training camp. I'll check...

EDIT: Another item to the list of things that you're wrong about, BACH:

NFL rules allow teams to designate players as "Physically Unable to Perform." Once they are designated as such, they are prohibited from practicing with the team. They can, however, rehabilitate and participate in team meetings. If a player begins training camp on the PUP list, they can be moved to the active roster at any time, even after one practice. A player is not allowed to be placed on the PUP list if they start training camp on the active roster.

Nice try, though. Maybe check to see that you know what you're talking about first.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
BACH said:
Great analysis, Walter. (As usual)

Minor differences from the way I see see the final roster.

I don't think we'll carry 5 safeties. Francisco is perhaps the most improved player on the team. He looked great and I think that will cost Brewer a job on the final roster - despite his good ST play. Francisco just looks much better as a FS and he too was impressive on ST.

And with OL being our major weakness, I think that they'll make room for Wakefield, Bridges AND Ross. Several teams carry 10 OL on the final roster, so I don't see why we wouldn't.
OT - Davis, Ross, Bridges, Wakefield
G - Wells, Brown, Brown, Lutui
C - Step, Leckey

Our back-up LBs also looked very well, so I don't see the need to carry 8 LBs. IMO Johnson didn't show anything to convince me that he shouldn't spend a season on the PS. Mitchell isn't a lock to make the roster. Reports about him from camp have been confusing - some good and some bad. IMO we could be down to 6 LBs on the final roster or 7 if Mark Brown get a roster spot. I could easily see Mitchell/Johnson on the PS and Hunter/McCareins on the final roster.

Another thing I could see happen is using a PS spot for Capshaw.

Excellent thoughts, Bach. You could very well be right. Here are some added thoughts:

1. As for 10 offensive linemen...most teams waver bewteen 9 or 10. Because a player like Reggie Wells offers such versatility, I think that the Cards will go with 9. If Wells gets moved to center, it's possible that Leckey could be waived...although that would be a mistake. I could also see the Cards keeping 9 and signing a young T to the practice squad...like the one they just signed (I am forgetting his name).

2. The LB situation is a little misleading because of Calvin Pace's dual role as an OLB and a DE...which allows for the team to carry 8 DL (5 DTs and 3 DEs). I think you are right that if anyone doesn't make the list it's Lance Mitchell (although DG hates to cut his own draft picks). And I think you a right that Mark Brown is still very much in the mix. However, there is no way DG is going to cut 5th round pick Brandon Johnson...he's the fastest LB in the draft and has tons of potential...AND, now that the team has to defend big, fast TEs like Jeremy Stevens, Joe Klopfenstein and Vernon Davis twice each a year, the need for a big, fast cover man is paramount, and Johnson fits that bill. And I still think that Lance Mitchell's improved play on STs earns him a roster spot over a 10th o-lineman.

3. As for 5 safeties...this is going to be the team's toughest call, IMO. I will tell you right now I would absolutely shocked if Jack Brewer doesn't make this football team. We saw vastly improved STs...thanks to players like Francisco and Brewer (they both had two unassisted tackles on returns).

The big decision will be...whether the team thinks the incumbent starting FS, Robert Griffith, is still good enough to start and play well...because...if Francisco starts ahead of Griffith...then the team has to decide between keeping Griffith or Ernest Shazor...that is...IF the team will only keep 4 safeties...I think the team likes Griffith's veteran presence and knowledge of the defense and will elect to keep him, whether he remains the starter or not...but I don't see them trying to slip Shazor through waivers again...other teams could see this past week that the kid has shown up this year.

The team will carry at keast 9 DBs...keeping 4 CBs isn't as bad when the team will intend to keep two or three CBs (Hunter, Wyatt, McCareins) on the practice squad.

If the team goes with 5 CBs...it will be because of Hunter's speed and how he may be an asset in the nickel and on STs. I'd say Hunter has a 50/50 shot right now.

These are the tough decisions, Bach.

And there's one we haven't even talked about...what about a 6th WR? I think that's still very possible because Carlyle Holiday is playing well enough to make the team...and also DG hates to cut his draft picks, even 7th rounders like Todd Watkins...because WR depleted teams like Philly, New England, Pittsburgh and San Francisco could take a flier on Watkins because of his elite speed.

Lastly, these predictions are what I think DG will do...they are not my own. I'll think about it for a few minutes and give you my own.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Great job (as usual) Mitch.

A couple of comments:

1. You're the second guy who mentioned that Kendrick Clancy played Saturday. He was listed pre-game as "not ready to play." Is it possible that you and the anncr. confused #70 (Clancy) with #90 (Darnell)? Or did Kendrick really suit up?

2. I'm not ready to relegate Ferri to the PS. Behind edge, we've got (a) Shipp (who looks like all he needs is a little bit of daylight to really do damage, (b) JJ (who has learned to lower his shoulder and cut north-south more decisively and (c) Anderson and Ferri (who look like they can hold their own on any roster as a #3 RB).

Right now, we're loaded with a number of RB's who can get the job done, but that can change in the blink of an eye (Remember what happened to our deep group of receivers the year before we drafted Fitz)? Or last year to our "deep" defensive line and secondary?

I'd like to see Ferri step up and "do it again." He's a compact, productive runner (JHolt - Know who he reminds me of? Darius Howard). If he can repeat or expand on Saturday's performance, I could see us trading one or even two other RB's and keeping Ferri as our #3 or #4 RB.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
Nice try, though. Maybe check to see that you know what you're talking about first.

Yup, unlike you I make mistakes and are, at times, wrong. I was pretty sure that King had been placed on the PUP list, but I was wrong.

I could have changed the subject completely and pointed out that the rule that I decribed was correct while rambling aggresively about some other thing. But I leave that to others.. :)

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Mitch said:
These are the tough decisions, Bach.
Indeed they are.. That's what makes this discussion so interesting. :)

It's a numbers game. There's only 53 spots. In terms of pure talent this is one best rosters in the league, which makes this so hard, because talented young players are going to be cut from this team to get to the final 53 roster.

I guess I'm basing my thoughts on cutting down to the minimum at our strongest positions. We are very strong at WR, RB, DL, so I only think we'll carry 5 WRs, 3 RBs and 8 DLs. That's also why I think Brewer will be cut. Griffith will not be cut and Francisco looks ready to break out. So why keep Brewer? Wouldn't that roster spot be better used on e.g. OLB Johnson or one of the other LBs in danger of not making the final roster.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
JeffGollin said:
Remember what happened to our deep group of receivers the year before we drafted Fitz)? Or last year to our "deep" defensive line and secondary?

:confused:

Our deep group of WRs before we drafted Fitz featured to UDFAs as the starters, Anquan in the slot, and Bryant Johnson who essentially redshirted. Everyone who had their eyes open knew that group was going to stink.

I don't think a lot of people thought that our secondary was deep last season, either. We had UDFAs backing up both safety positions, and basically warm bodies at #4 and #5 corners.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
:confused:

Our deep group of WRs before we drafted Fitz featured to UDFAs as the starters, Anquan in the slot, and Bryant Johnson who essentially redshirted. Everyone who had their eyes open knew that group was going to stink.

I don't think a lot of people thought that our secondary was deep last season, either. We had UDFAs backing up both safety positions, and basically warm bodies at #4 and #5 corners.

It was a year earlier,2002, than what Jeff stated that we had so many injuries to WR's that FJones led in number of catches with 44.

That was the year Kasper,Gilmore,McAdderly,Poole and Soliday played WR. 10different guys had receptions as WR's compared to only 5 the year before.

Those street guys they picked up impressed the Cards brass so much that they let Boston,Sanders and Jenkins go after the season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05