At Colorado series thread

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Here come the Rockies...hit to RF by Johnson, Bautista bobbles the ball allowing Johnson to get into 2B. 3-2 Dbacks

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
SEXSON!!! Doubles in Gonzo (who hustled out an infield hit) and the dbacks lead 4-3

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Valverde hits Johnson with a pitch 5-4 Rockies...

...then he throws wild pitch to back stop and Rockies score again 6-4

IndyDevil

Defensive liability
Reaction score
??????????

WTF is going on with this team??? Koplove walks in the tying run, Valverde hits a batter to force in a run, then uncorks a wild pitch to bring in yet another run!!! Worse yet, we have stranded 20 - yes, 20 - runners on base through 7 innings!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

P.S. As I finish this post, Valverde walks another one.....

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Valverde walks the bases loaded again. 1 out, 1 hit, 4 walks, 1 hit batsman in the inning.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
From reading the ticker, looks like Brenly has made some really dumb moves and none moves. I wonder if he will last the year?

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Complete and utter self-destruction.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

:bang: :bang: :bang:

This is embarassing!

AZZenny

Reaction score
Sorry - how can you blame BB for walking in runs, hitting the batter, wild pitches...I mean this is godawful, but it's hard to see how it's primarily Brenly's fault. I suppose he could just run through every guy in the bullpen consecutively, but I have the feeling right now it wouldn't make any difference WHO was pitching - we are skunk-bit.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
AZZenny said:
Sorry - how can you blame BB for walking in runs, hitting the batter, wild pitches...I mean this is godawful, but it's hard to see how it's primarily Brenly's fault. I suppose he could just run through every guy in the bullpen consecutively, but I have the feeling right now it wouldn't make any difference WHO was pitching - we are skunk-bit.

I agree. About the only thing I would question is to me it was plain as day Koplove wasn't getting it near the strike zone very well...how long do you wait for him to sort it out?

I wonder why Alomar was so passive on that weak grounder???

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hey AZZenny, what I meant about Brenly was I saw when the game was 3-2 he pitched to the 8th batter instead of pitching to the pitcher with first base open. Also, I wonder why Webb did not start the 7th. He threw only 107 pitches.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Let's call up Tracy and Hairston, put Finley, Hillendbrand and Alomar on the dl and play the young guys. Also, waive Saddler.

Finley-172 average
Alomar-158 average
Hillendbrand-136 average

Last edited:

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
2 Valverde walks, an error by Cintron has loaded the bases again with 2 outs...

schillingfan

All Star
Reaction score
Zona90 said:
Let's call up Tracy and Hairston, put Finley, Hillendbrand and Alomar on the dl and play the young guys. Also, waive Saddler.

Finley-172 average
Alomar-158 average
Hillendbrand-136 average
Fish or cut bait. The D-Backs want to rebuild and remain "respectable". That the NL West is regressing this year makes them believe they can compete for the NL west crown.

This usually results in teams using mediocre to above mediocre (but not good) players.

Too many signings of mediocre and fading players over the winter. I'd have preferred to see them go completely with the youth movement.

Did people see the salary breakdowns in sports weekly this week? The D-Backs salary this year was around $69 mil and they are in the bottom third in terms of reductions in payroll from last year. In 2001 they were over $100 mil in payroll. With the decline in payroll comes some decline in talent.

AZZenny

Reaction score
I hear you - not saying BB is brainless...er, blameless... :D Just that we have Absolute Bullpen Meltdown today - it's almost like the previous bullpen screwups were just practice runs.

As to replacing some old guys with new Babybacks - I AM ALL OVER IT!! :thumbup: Tracy yes, but Hairston has sucked - Devore is hitting, and so is Terrero - and I have to really wonder, frankly, if the catcher is a factor in what announcers are consistently describing as lousy pitch selection. I want Hammock up here, ASAP. Let's raid El Paso and Lancaster while we're at it. We can't do worse - This is April 2003 deja vu all over again. All over again.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hairston is hitting very well. He had a double and home run the other night. He is their future at second. This guy has so much talent.

AZZenny

Reaction score
You're right - he did start hitting well last two games - he was hitting around .167 with a load of SO for the first couple games - early stats are misleading of course, which applies to the veterans too, lest we forget. Sidewinders announcers have not been keen on his defense, though. I don't think he's the future at second base for us, and from what little I've seen of him in person think he's a bit overrated, but who knows? - there is still talk about trying him in the OF (but then, who aren't they considering for OF?!)

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well the Diamondbacks go down 1,2,3 in the first. I really believe they need to sit Finley. He has done nothing so far, and that is including spring training. I'm sick of hearing he is a slow starter. The guy is 39 and it is apparent he can't catch up to the fastball like he used to. It will be interesting to see how long Brenley will stick with the veterans before going with the talented young guys.