BA vs. Whiz

SeattleCard

Back in Arizona!!!
Reaction score
It's amazing how different BA is in conversation and with the press, versus Ken Whiz.

Coach Whiz would have never made the following comments:

“I was extremely pleased,” Arians said. “I haven’t stopped smiling. Every time we would want a player at a position, the board would just fall for us.
“I’ve only been at one other draft that was like that and that was last year in Indianapolis. We had a dream team and there they all were at the right spot. That’s basically how this one fell. It’s like, ‘Holy cow.’ This is how it (started) for us this year because every time I say, ‘Wow, we could use another lineman,’ I look over and Steve says, ‘There’s the next best guy right there.’

“It was such an easy draft.”

Not saying it's better or worse, just pointing out the major contrast between the two coaches. BA's approach with the press is definitely a new thing for this org versus the last 6 years.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
How much input do you think SK takes from BA in building the team? I hope he gives him a fair ammount, I'd really like him to get the players he wants/needs to impliment his system.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
How much input do you think SK takes from BA in building the team? I hope he gives him a fair ammount, I'd really like him to get the players he wants/needs to impliment his system.

Whatever it is, it is the perfect amount. The decision makers are making strong moves to get this team heading in the right direction.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
It's amazing how different BA is in conversation and with the press, versus Ken Whiz.

Coach Whiz would have never made the following comments:

Not saying it's better or worse, just pointing out the major contrast between the two coaches. BA's approach with the press is definitely a new thing for this org versus the last 6 years.

I find it very refreshing after CKW. I also like that he has shown a considerable amount of trust in some of his players. Trust enough to put two new players on your roster. Matthieu and Taylor.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
The biggest difference between Arians and Whisenhunt as Head Coaches: (For now)

Attachments

• NFC+Championship+Philadelphia+Eagles+v+Arizona+5dYDOOaD5wal1.jpg
    NFC+Championship+Philadelphia+Eagles+v+Arizona+5dYDOOaD5wal1.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 432

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
When Whiz won, lots of folks said it was with Denny's team. If BA wins, I don't think anyone will be able to say it was with Whiz's team.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
When Whiz won, lots of folks said it was with Denny's team. If BA wins, I don't think anyone will be able to say it was with Whiz's team.

It was Denny's team. A ton of long term veterans. Most players with the longest time in the NFL and with the same team. It took 5 years for that team to be built. Are we looking at our next chance in 2017? Do we have enough hold over veterans to compete right away or are we looking at 6-10,5-11,5-11, 8-8 before we get back in the hunt?

A lot of that is up to guys like Fitz, PP21, DWash, Campbell, Sendlein Floyd, Housler, Roberts and Acho. And of course Carson Palmer.

Funny though how the greatest season in modern Cardinal history suddenly isn't such a great accomplishment by the Head Coach since he was fired.

We're a fickle bunch sports fans.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
It was Denny's team. A ton of long term veterans. Most players with the longest time in the NFL and with the same team. It took 5 years for that team to be built. Are we looking at our next chance in 2017? Do we have enough hold over veterans to compete right away or are we looking at 6-10,5-11,5-11, 8-8 before we get back in the hunt?

A lot of that is up to guys like Fitz, PP21, DWash, Campbell, Sendlein Floyd, Housler, Roberts and Acho. And of course Carson Palmer.

Funny though how the greatest season in modern Cardinal history suddenly isn't such a great accomplishment by the Head Coach since he was fired.

We're a fickle bunch sports fans.

Oh it is still a great accomplishment. I'd still lead the charge to build a statue to Whiz for that one season alone. Of course in the statue, he'd be posing atop Denny's shoulders.

:D

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
I don't get the whole "winning with Denny's players" criticism of Wiz. #1 EVERY new coach in the NFL wins with someone else's players. Its the NFL not College where you cycle through guys every 4 years. You think anyone in SF says Harbaugh is pretty good, but wins with Singletary/Nolan's players? LMAO

Also I know Denny was involved in the draft but last I checked the GM picks the players and the same doorknob was here for both guys.

I'm now glad we made the change and am refreshed by Arians to this point but good style or not Wiz deserves R-E-S-P-E-C-T.

Dude took the Arizona Freaking Cardinals to the Super Bowl and was a brilliant in game coach. At least IMO

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't get the whole "winning with Denny's players" criticism of Wiz. #1 EVERY new coach in the NFL wins with someone else's players. Its the NFL not College where you cycle through guys every 4 years. You think anyone in SF says Harbaugh is pretty good, but wins with Singletary/Nolan's players? LMAO

Also I know Denny was involved in the draft but last I checked the GM picks the players and the same doorknob was here for both guys.

I'm now glad we made the change and am refreshed by Arians to this point but good style or not Wiz deserves R-E-S-P-E-C-T.

Dude took the Arizona Freaking Cardinals to the Super Bowl and was a brilliant in game coach. At least IMO

not sure I agree with the brilliant in game coach, but totally agree with the rest of this post.

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The biggest difference between Arians and Whisenhunt as Head Coaches: (For now)

Yeah! Let's do that again. Only better.

I don't care if the coach is Mr. Personality or not. I want the Lombardi staring everyone in the face when they walk in the front door in Tempe.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whatever it is, it is the perfect amount. The decision makers are making strong moves to get this team heading in the right direction.

It's a little early for all this praise.. One game has yet to be played..

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The biggest difference so far is that BA is a good manure spreader and comes off more personable than KW. I am cautiously optimistic because of the job he did last season at Indy but am not buying all of the hype just yet. Been a Cardinal fan too long :)

I think the SB was the BEST experience I have ever had as a football fan. KW got them there and I have jokingly said that he should be in the HoF simply BECAUSE he took the Cardinals to the big dance!

However, for KW I think the SB was his biggest downfall. Riding the crest of that he got a contract with more personnel power and roster control. Between him and RG we all saw how that worked out.

I think he was an average coach who fell into a serendipitous run to the SB. I would be surprised if he ended up as a HC ever again, but who knows?

I wish him no ill will but am glad that a change was made.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score

Just last year the Colts and Rams both turned over about 2/3 of their respective rosters. So no, not every new coach wins with the previous regime's players.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
It's early but I think one of the advantages of BA over Whis is player relations. Players seem to really want to play for BA and a couple of the free agents signed specifically because of him [Mendenhall and Powers].

I do like his philosophy of drafting productive team leader types.
I felt Whis and Graves lost several of those individuals after the 2009 season and it hurt the team.

We'll see how he does in a much tougher division this season.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
It's a little early for all this praise.. One game has yet to be played..

A little early to evaluate the results, yes. But, they are aggressively trying to right the ship, rather than sticking to the "system works" philosophy. That is what has me excited.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

Except in Arizona where cycling through players every 4 years is the norm.

:D

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Just last year the Colts and Rams both turned over about 2/3 of their respective rosters. So no, not every new coach wins with the previous regime's players.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Soooo Sam Bradford, Dwight Freeny, Reggie Wayne, Stephen Jackson, Jame Lauranitis, Robert Mathis and a host of others didnt help those teams last year? Does that mean Fisher and Pagano were winning with other peoples guys and dont deserve credit. Hell Bruce Arians won with what most would say were NONE of his guys lol. I dont even get what point you are trying to make.

With HC turnover/tenure being what it is NO ONE win with all players they acquired. And agian its the HC not the GM so tough to give credit either way anyway. The Wiz winning with Greens players argument is silly.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
not sure I agree with the brilliant in game coach, but totally agree with the rest of this post.

That was my take. I still think it was masterful that Wiz won 5 and 6 games respectively with the most atrocious QB play in the history of football. He seemed to adjust well and game plans were good (especially during the 2X Division Title Runs). Unfortuntaly his player development and player management skills were piss poor.

Thats why I think SD will be good on offense this year at least game to game. JMHO.

ndhillst

Rookie
Reaction score
Whiz took us to a Superbowl. That will forever mark him in my mind as a great AZ Cardinals coach. Later, though, for whatever reason, he made some poor decisions leaving us weak in some very critical areas (Oline, QB, RB) and it was time for him to leave. I am excited to have BA here and I think the change was the right thing to do, but it doesn't change my admiration for him taking us on that wonderful Superbowl ride.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
It's early but I think one of the advantages of BA over Whis is player relations. Players seem to really want to play for BA and a couple of the free agents signed specifically because of him [Mendenhall and Powers].

I do like his philosophy of drafting productive team leader types.
I felt Whis and Graves lost several of those individuals after the 2009 season and it hurt the team.

We'll see how he does in a much tougher division this season.
I think the philosophy of drafting leaders and team captains is one that is truly going to pay off. These guys know how to win and how to be great teammates. One of the first steps to becoming a winning team is for everyone to work together to achieve the same goal and that is what having a lot of team first guys should bring to this organization.