Barbosa Blames "Flop Artist" Ginobli

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
I HATE GINOBLI:hammer: , he belongs in the WNBA. I'm sure most of you have already seen this but it made ESPN.com frontpage:

Phoenix Suns guard Leandro Barbosa could miss up to three weeks with an injury to his left knee.

Barbosa has a Grade 2 sprain of the medial collateral ligament but could return in one to three weeks, the Arizona Republic reported.

But while the diagnosis received a sigh of relief from the team, it offered little solace for Barbosa who believes the injury could have been avoided.

He was injured Saturday when Spurs guard Manu Ginobili fell into him. He did return to play in the second half of that game.

"Ginobili always likes to flop," Barbosa told The Arizona Republic. "Nobody even touched him.

"He jost flopped. That's why I feel sad to hurt myself like that," he added. "I wish I could have hurt myself in another way."

Suns coach Mike D'Antoni told the paper Ginobili "got tangled up a little bit" with Raja Bell when he stumbled backward, and "just to make his point, he was falling down."

"It was an accident," D'Antoni told the Republic.

Ginobili has been accused in the past of overacting to draw fouls; Suns forward Shawn Marion even joked about practicing his own acting skills during last season's Western Conference finals, the paper reported. Barbosa was averaging 15.7 points in 25.8 minutes this season.

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
devilfan02 said:
"Ginobili always likes to flop," Barbosa told The Arizona Republic. "Nobody even touched him.

"He jost flopped. That's why I feel sad to hurt myself like that," he added. "I wish I could have hurt myself in another way."

I hate you Manu.

OP
OP
devilfan02

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
jbeecham said:
It's nice to hear some honesty from a player instead of spin.

No kidding. It's only a matter of time before Manu gets his ***** a$$ knocked out. Someone will make an example out of him. Flopping belongs in the WNBA

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
It's only a matter of time before Manu gets his ***** a$$ knocked out. Someone will make an example out of him.

I was thinking that too. Had he grown up playing street ball like most of the league, he would have been taught this lesson a long time ago.

OP
OP
devilfan02

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
elindholm said:
It's only a matter of time before Manu gets his ***** a$$ knocked out. Someone will make an example out of him.

I was thinking that too. Had he grown up playing street ball like most of the league, he would have been taught this lesson a long time ago.

I've never been so angry while watching last years Western Conf Finals and after Saturdays game, it's icing on the cake. Manu kept floppin all over the place and the refs were giving him the calls up until the last two games of the series. During the series, Marion made some wise cracks directed towards Manu for flopping but didn't do anything about it. IMO, as one of our leaders, Marion should have roughed him up or got in his face to send a message that he needs to stop playing like a little girl. Hopefully now that Manu's antics finally hurt someone, ON OUR TEAM, we'll do somethin to him next time. I'm not saying we should knock him out but we should def foul him REALLY HARD so he can't flop. Then he'll be scared to death and will sit out on the perimeter. More reason for Amare to heal up

Shawty

Veteran
Reaction score
devilfan02 said:
Hopefully now that Manu's antics finally hurt someone, ON OUR TEAM, we'll do somethin to him next time.
Antics? Overexaggeration of fouls is sumthin' many players do. It's been there since the days of Magic Johnson. Every basketball player KNOWS when he steps on the floor that there is a possibility for injury. It's unfortunate but also a stretch to try and pin an injury like this on the "antics" of a player. I could see if the guy made a flyin' leap at Barbosa's knee but...

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I've always really disliked Manu for his girl ass flopping, I want him to get trucked one day for those girl flops

Last edited:
OP
OP
devilfan02

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
Shawty said:
Antics? Overexaggeration of fouls is sumthin' many players do. It's been there since the days of Magic Johnson. Every basketball player KNOWS when he steps on the floor that there is a possibility for injury. It's unfortunate but also a stretch to try and pin an injury like this on the "antics" of a player. I could see if the guy made a flyin' leap at Barbosa's knee but...

Anytime someone gets near him he does a swan dive for the floor. Any sports fan knows its a part of the game but no one in the history of the NBA can hold Manu's jock when it comes to flopping.

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
devilfan02 said:
Anytime someone gets near him he does a swan dive for the floor. Any sports fan knows its a part of the game but no one in the history of the NBA can hold Manu's jock when it comes to flopping.

No one can hold his Jock, but Vlade Divac made it :D

myrondizzo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
you have to flop to get a charging call. but woManu flops constanly. so much in fact its actually hard to foul him because most of the time when someone get near him he's already on the floor. it really is disgusting to watch. i wish someone would flop on him with an elbow or something.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Shawty:

Exaggeration of contact is fine. Trying to draw a charge is fine.

Throwing yourself on the floor is just dangerous.

Shawty

Veteran
Reaction score
devilfan02 said:

With all due respect, I disagree. I will assume that you're a reg. b-ball watcher like myself. I can understand your hatred of Manu since you are a Suns fan. However, if you've watched basketball over the course of history, you realize that Manu is a smart player. His overemphasizin' contact gets him many calls. Much like Magic and Stockton used this type of activity. In street ball, it doesn't work. Organized? It's golden. This does not negate the fact that he's a talented player. You also realize that Manu weighs 100 pounds soakin' wet. A lotta the contact he absorbs is that forceful since a good majority of the time the opponent is MUCH bigger than he is. Funny how the comments say that Manu's dangerous and this is the first time he's netted comments about hurtin' someone. Manu's no Fortson. Manu's no Artest. Manu's no Dikembe.

Shawty

Veteran
Reaction score
myrondizzo said:
you have to flop to get a charging call. but woManu flops constanly. so much in fact its actually hard to foul him because most of the time when someone get near him he's already on the floor. it really is disgusting to watch. i wish someone would flop on him with an elbow or something.

The guy's been smacked and slammed many times and he just gets back up. Ask Fortson.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Manu is a hell of a player and he is no weak little girl getting thrown around out there.

He just acts that way.

It sure wasn't Bell's extended arm that threw him to the ground this time.

OP
OP
devilfan02

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
Shawty said:
With all due respect, I disagree. I will assume that you're a reg. b-ball watcher like myself. I can understand your hatred of Manu since you are a Suns fan. However, if you've watched basketball over the course of history, you realize that Manu is a smart player. His overemphasizin' contact gets him many calls. Much like Magic and Stockton used this type of activity. In street ball, it doesn't work. Organized? It's golden. This does not negate the fact that he's a talented player. You also realize that Manu weighs 100 pounds soakin' wet. A lotta the contact he absorbs is that forceful since a good majority of the time the opponent is MUCH bigger than he is. Funny how the comments say that Manu's dangerous and this is the first time he's netted comments about hurtin' someone. Manu's no Fortson. Manu's no Artest. Manu's no Dikembe.

I am a reg NBA watcher and I disagree. Did you watch the Western Conference Finals last year????????? Even the commentators were saying his flopping was a joke. Even the refs ignored his flops the last couple games of the series and put their whistles in their pockets. It sounds like your a San Antonio and if you are I can see where your coming from. He's def one of those guys that you love when he's on your team but you absolutley hate when he's not. I'm not even mad about the Barbosa thing it's more that he plays like a complete girl. And the comparison to Magic????? Come on, Magic did not flop like or as much as Ginobli does. Give me a break

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
Exibit A:

You must be registered for see images attach

Doesn't look to me like Prince wants any of that flop comming is way....

Shawty

Veteran
Reaction score
devilfan02 said:
I am a reg NBA watcher and I disagree. Did you watch the Western Conference Finals last year????????? Even the commentators were saying his flopping was a joke. Even the refs ignored his flops the last couple games of the series and put their whistles in their pockets. It sounds like your a San Antonio and if you are I can see where your coming from. He's def one of those guys that you love when he's on your team but you absolutley hate when he's not. I'm not even mad about the Barbosa thing it's more that he plays like a complete girl. And the comparison to Magic????? Come on, Magic did not flop like or as much as Ginobli does. Give me a break

I'm glad you're a reg. ball watcher. And yes I watched the WCFs. I wouldn't expect a die-hard Suns fan to agree with me. I respect that. What EXACTLY did the commentators say? Commentators always have opinions. Just like they say that Marion choked last season. I don't agree with that either. Commentators aren't always experts.

Quote:
It sounds like your a San Antonio and if you are I can see where your coming from. He's def one of those guys that you love when he's on your team but you absolutley hate when he's not.

You are correct with that. I hated Stockton who did play Manu-style ball at times. But I oftentimes wished he ran our offense. My reference to Magic was his ability to overexaggerate contact. That he DID do. He drew MANY charges that way. Ginobili plays like a girl? Since when do girls post 48 on the last year's BEST TEAM in the West?

Shawty

Veteran
Reaction score
myrondizzo said:
he's 6'6" 205 lbs he's far from undersized for a SG.
Who usually guards Manu? He's usually out-sized. And if you believe he's 205...who am I to argue with you? I think he might actually be a lil' less than that. Hwever, for 6-6, that is not big at all. Raja Bell is a good size.

OP
OP
devilfan02

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
Shawty said:
I'm glad you're a reg. ball watcher. And yes I watched the WCFs. I wouldn't expect a die-hard Suns fan to agree with me. I respect that. What EXACTLY did the commentators say? Commentators always have opinions. Just like they say that Marion choked last season. I don't agree with that either. Commentators aren't always experts.

Quote:
It sounds like your a San Antonio and if you are I can see where your coming from. He's def one of those guys that you love when he's on your team but you absolutley hate when he's not.

You are correct with that. I hated Stockton who did play Manu-style ball at times. But I oftentimes wished he ran our offense. My reference to Magic was his ability to overexaggerate contact. That he DID do. He drew MANY charges that way. Ginobili plays like a girl? Since when do girls post 48 on the last year's BEST TEAM in the West?

He doesn't play like a girl, he acts like one. Isn't that the reason for this discussion????? If you were watching the WCF's, the commentators talked about it every time he hit the floor and made it clear that he's known for over reacting to contact (or NEAR CONTACT). Marion didn't choke, he was shut down by Bowen and anyone with bball knowledge would agree with that. It was Q that choked. You have your opinion about Manu and we have ours. I may be speaking for most Suns fans (maybe not) but I would love to see someone make an example of him and put him on the floor. As for Stockton, he was known more for being a dirty player but he also flopped because he was under 6 foot and is 100 lbs soaking weight. Manu is 200 + and over 6'5 at least.

Shawty

Veteran
Reaction score
devilfan02 said:
He doesn't play like a girl, he acts like one. Isn't that the reason for this discussion????? If you were watching the WCF's, the commentators talked about it every time he hit the floor and made it clear that he's known for over reacting to contact (or NEAR CONTACT). Marion didn't choke, he was shut down by Bowen and anyone with bball knowledge would agree with that. It was Q that choked. You have your opinion about Manu and we have ours. I may be speaking for most Suns fans (maybe not) but I would love to see someone make an example of him and put him on the floor. As for Stockton, he was known more for being a dirty player but he also flopped because he was under 6 foot and is 100 lbs soaking weight. Manu is 200 + and over 6'5 at least.

He doesn't play like a girl but he acts like one? On the court? That statement doesn't make sense to me but I'll leave it be. I watched every second of the WCFs and the whole Spurs season. Manu has habit of overemphasizin' contact but my definition of flop is old school. Floppin' was sumthin' players did to draw offensive fouls though there was no contact. Manu takes contact and makes it seem worse than what it was MANY TIMES. That's not floppin'. That's usin' the refs to your advantage which is sumthin' all players do. Manu just does it more often and more effectively, love it or hate it. It's true. I agree that Marion didn't choke. many commentators didn't see it that way nor did many posters here. As for Manu bein' 200 pounds, I highly doubt that. Contact isn't the only thing overexaggerated here. And Manu has been beat around quite often. I've seen the guy get up and keep playin' every time. I've seen Fortson, Carmello, Buckner, Steven Hunter, and many others "make an example" of him. They all get ejections and flagrants while Manu checks his face, dusts himself off and sinks his two FTs.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05