Barbosa numbers for the Brazilian National Team

planaria

Rookie
Reaction score
I don't know if this was already posted here, but as I haven't seen yet...

Barbosa numbers for brazilian national team:

Game 1: Montividéu (Uruguai) - 08/03/2005: Brasil 91 x 75 Uruguai

Barbosa: 25 minutes, 18 points, 1/4 fg3, 5/8 fg2, 5/5 ft, 2 rbts, 0 assists, 3 TOs, 1 foul.

Box Score: http://www.urubasket.com/Noticias/Noticias%2050.htm

Game 2: Montividéu (Uruguai) - 08/04/2005: Brasil 96 x 86 Uruguai

Barbosa: 20 points

* The box score isn't disponible yet.

Points per brazilian player: Start five: Leandrinho (20pts), Alex (9), Guilherme (16), Anderson Varejão (11) e Tiago Splitter (16). Bench: Marcelinho (15), Rafael “Baby” (2), Marcelo Huertas (1), Murilo (4) e Nezinho (2). Coach: Lula Ferreira.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
People keep ragging on Leandro since he has not become much of a PG, but the guy has shown he can score. The thing he will have to do is work on his team defense and develop a mid range shot.

Dustbuster

Veteran
Reaction score
Barbosa's numbers in that second game look particulary good. Except for his three point shooting. As a rookie, I thought he was actually a very, very good three point shooter. He really took a step back in this last year. I wonder why?

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dustbuster said:
Barbosa's numbers in that second game look particulary good. Except for his three point shooting. As a rookie, I thought he was actually a very, very good three point shooter. He really took a step back in this last year. I wonder why?

He had a lot more chances to shoot his rookie year and he played off the ball more. He has an ugly (flat) shot, but I think he can still shoot.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
Even Griffin admitted on one of the radio shows that the talent level in those leagues is at a much lower level. Barbosa should be able to score a lot of points in those leagues and I don't believe scoring a lot of points in the summer league or the Brazillian leauges provides any projection on what happens in the NBA.

The guy to me is just ok if he plays within his job then he will help this team next year. His job is to spell Nash, play D, and not let any lead slip away while Nash is resting; not score 20pts a game for the Suns, we have other guys I would rather see get the shots.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If Leandro could learn to kick out after driving the basket, he could be a big help. Right now, Leandro is the only player other than Amare that attacks the basket in the half court. He is very quick and hard for defenders to keep out of the lane. But he tries to get to the basket even when there is a defender in the way.

PetryJr

Registered
Reaction score
Just watched Brazil vs Canada this morning. Brazil won easily, 100x76, I think. Leandrinho scored 31 points and had at least 4 assists. He started at PG, and that's where he played most of the game (though he did play at the 2 when Marcelo Huertas or Nezinho were on the court).

The competition wasn't the best, but I liked what I saw from Leandro. He made some nice passes and ran the offense quite well. It'll be interesting to see how he plays in the World Championship Qualifying.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
PetryJr said:
Just watched Brazil vs Canada this morning. Brazil won easily, 100x76, I think. Leandrinho scored 31 points and had at least 4 assists. He started at PG, and that's where he played most of the game (though he did play at the 2 when Marcelo Huertas or Nezinho were on the court).

The competition wasn't the best, but I liked what I saw from Leandro. He made some nice passes and ran the offense quite well. It'll be interesting to see how he plays in the World Championship Qualifying.

Thanks for the update.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
If Leandro could learn to kick out after driving the basket, he could be a big help. Right now, Leandro is the only player other than Amare that attacks the basket in the half court. He is very quick and hard for defenders to keep out of the lane. But he tries to get to the basket even when there is a defender in the way.

George, that is pretty much what leandro already does, this is exactly what Nash does not do.

Watch Leandro if you have some games of him Tivo'd he drives head down often missing an open Marion and Amare cutting to the lane and if he doesn't take a fade away layup attempt, he kicks it back out to a shooter, this is exactly what Steph used to do as well, except he was better at using his body for position when driving the lane. The biggest thing leandro needs to do if he wants to really learn from Nash is watch Nash's patience and learn how to survey the court look for the defensive breakdowns and hit your finishers in stride. Again that is way easier said than done and Nash is the MVP for a reason.

At this point I really believe Leandro would make an excellent swingman off the bench, and I think the Suns are blowing it by trying to keep him at the point. I think they should have him contrate on defensive mastery and his midrangejumper, he would then I think have a better shot at developing into an impact player at the NBA level.

Last edited:

Errntknght

Reaction score
George, "If Leandro could learn to kick out after driving the basket, he could be a big help. Right now, Leandro is the only player other than Amare that attacks the basket in the half court. He is very quick and hard for defenders to keep out of the lane. But he tries to get to the basket even when there is a defender in the way."

One of the reasons that Leandro doesn't get many assists on his drives is that he doesn't get into the lane at all - he always takes an outside route which doesn't position him for making telling passes. If he passes at all it's either cross court after he's jumped past the baseline or he jumps and turns around in the air hoping to find someone for a kick out. On top of that he's looking for his own shot and he only passes when the defense eliminates his shot or cuts him off.

I'm not complaining about his game because I don't think of him as a PG and sometimes he can be quite an effective scorer. I'd much rather see him just trying to do the things he does best than fall apart at the seams under the pressure of trying to run the offense. I'm happy that he does make a good pass now and then when a teammate has an opening and is in Leandro's narrow field of view.

My estimate of his potential keeps dropping. His improvement on defense is glacially slow and his best half court offense seems only to appear when he takes the other team by surprise. The best part of his game is on the fast break so he's a useful sub on this team but he's going to have to improve a lot faster than he has been to ever be NBA starter quality.

Hopefully, the coaches have he sense to keep him out of the mix at point and that that lights a fire under him. The minutes are going to be there for him to win...

PetryJr

Registered
Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
Leandro led Brazil over what appears to be an American team, scoring 18 points.

CONFEDERAÇÃO BRASILEIRA DE BASKETBALL - CBB

Yeah, it's the American team that will compete in the America's WCQ. There are some familiar names for Suns fans on the roster:

11 Isiah Victor
13 Aaron McGhee
14 Jerome Beasley
4 Tyus Edney
7 Charlie Bell
10 Ron Slay
12 Noel Felix
15 Kris Lang
18 Adam Chubb
6 Lynn Greer
8 Alex Scales
5 Marque Perry
9 Tang Hamilton

If I'm not mistaken, they don't have a guaranteed spot in the World Championships, so they need to make it to the semifinals of the WCQ with this team.

From what I've watched so far, they need to improve a lot. Charlie Bell has turned into a very good outside shooter, but he doesn't have good shot selection. Lynn Greer is a nice player, but he's playing behind Edney. And Ron Slay showed some nice moves, but nothing to get really excited about.

By the way, Leandrinho's actual numbers were 10 points, 3 rebounds and 3 assists. He scored 14 points on the previous game, also against US, and 27 points against Canada. Brazil is undefeated so far, and the WCQ starts on August 24th, I think.

Last edited:

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The website is very hard to understand. Euro league sites are a lot more straight forward. None the less, while it is true that the opposition Leandro is facing is not the best, he's continuing to show that he can score.

Right now the Suns lineup has seven clear cut rotation guys:

Inside: Stoudemire, Thomas, Grant
Wing: Marion, Jackson, Bell
Point: Nash

Diaw and Barbosa will compete for the backup to Nash position unless another PG is picked up. Barbosa can play guard and Diaw can play forward as well as guard. Diaw is a better ball handler and a better overall defender. Barbosa is a better shooter and is more agressive about going to the basket.

If Finley signs, Barbosa will be limited to spot duty. If Finley doesn't, I think Barbosa would end up with more of his minutes at SG than PG.