BASKING in a Positive Start

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Defense---very active---didn't even play much of Dockett, Campbell and Dansby---much stronger, more physical---much more aware of where the football is----good, solid tackling---very good depth---just about everyone played well---had to adjust to Packers going to the hurry-up on first possession, and did with nice goalline stand---the deep pass was over pretty good coverage by Cason---Mathieu is all over the place---how about that sack on Harrell?...for a rookie to use body control in that situation and not go screaming right past the QB---he's just so instinctive and so quick to finish.

Props: Abraham (patented sack strip), Acho (recovery), Minter (good filler!), Arenas (good tackler, keeps everything in front of him), Peterson (nice pick), Johnson (nice pass breakup on goalline to TE Finley, good ST tackles too), same for Alexander, McCann, Bethel.

Needs work:Rucker (not in shape and getting stood up---not good for a veteran of his caliber---got influenced too much inside and gave up easy cutbacks), Curtis Taylor (got beat badly on early 3rd down play on slant over the middle), Jasper Brinkley and Reggie Walker's pass coverage (don't think they are suited to play the nickel)---some missed tackles by Zach Nash---and some blown assignments on QB contain, esp. versus Vince Young.

Surprises (long shots---but making some noise): Padric Scott (thought he was very active), Kenny Rowe (edge rush), ILB Kenny Demens, DT Jonathan Mathis (QB hurry), Tony Jefferson (solid), CB Ronnie Yell.

Offense---passed more downfield in this one game than in half a season last year---Palmer underthrew the ball some, but was on the money to Roberts, who missed a long 3rd down deep pass, but not the second time---not much push in the running game with first team line (looked to me like the o-line's splits weren't wide enough, like they were all bunched too tightly together---but second team and workhorse Stepfan Taylor started getting the it done---Taylor is the epitome of a BA workhorse RB---Alfonso ran hard, but he still lacks vision and patience---guess we see why BA and coaches have been raving about WRs Brown and Hawkins---Stanton is tough, keeps his cool under pressure---threw the ball well downfield---looked in command, still a little off, but mostly on---

Props---o-line pass pro! They all get a shout out for that!

Needs work---run blocks, obviously, TE play (not good tonight and could be a real issue), Jefferson's hands (what a nice target, though).

Disappointments: Chilo Rachal (out of shape, not good in pass pro, didn't finish blocks), the play mixups and subsequent timeouts (expected to a degree---but BA will let the players have it, no matter how early it is in the pre-season).

Surprises: RG Paul Fanaika (he's pretty dang good as BA has been saying); WRs Buckner & Toma, nice sliding catches on seam routes, Lindley (the light bulb is starting to come on---looks already more comfortable within the offense and what his role is), C Mike Gibson (except for missing one A gap blitz), LT Jamaal Johnson-Webb (looks real good---good size and balance), WR Nicolas Edwards (what excellent size and sneaky speed on deep pass---pass interference), TE Mickey Shuler (nice catch, a couple good blocks), RGs Senio Kelemete (solid) and Earl Watford (man what impressive size and strength---the roughing penalty aside)

STs---great coverage teams all night---obviously the kicking was off, all of it, FGs and punts---2 good punt returns from Hawkins and Mathieu (have we ever been that talented, deep and loaded at punt returner?).

What this game was---it was a blueprint for the BA formula for success, just as he's described it to us:

1. Take care of the football.
2. Take deep shots to get chunk yards and to put the defense on its heels.
3. Pound the rock with a workhorse RB.
4. Create turnovers and take advantage of them.
5. Win the field position game.

Sure, it's only a pre-season game and there were plenty of mistakes, but we got a good taste tonight of what BASK Ball philosophy looks like.

Dang---this is exciting because it is aggressive, physical, play to win football in all aspects of the game.:newcards:

Last edited:

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
It's preseason man... Practice man...

That said, still not sure how to process a Cards win like that... My eyes haven't seen such a thoroughly well-played and well-coached game from this team in like, forever!
And it's clear just how much depth we have across the entire team...

Peterson is quickly become a player I admire in par with Q, A-Dub and Fitz... Love, love,,love the guy.

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
I'm very happy with the win tonight, it puts some of my fears to rest and the debacle of a practice I saw (which I put way too much credence into!)

I'll enjoy the feeling of watching our team not suck goat gonads, for a welcome change, the rest of the evening...and go back to being overly critical of the team until we string together some regular season successes.

Pass me some Kool-Aid!

You must be registered for see images

redheat

A real American hero
Reaction score
TE and run game very concerning. If we can't run the ball those deep passes won't be effective.

27Veer

Veteran
Reaction score
For a first game I thought the O Line play was much improved over any time last year. Faniaka looks as if he wants to start in his hometown. Cason is a pro and shuts down the deep ball. Buckner is showing that he can ba an NFL receiver. It will be nice if we can have some local folks on this team.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Thought Taylor showed some promise. Mendenhall needs to be our horse though so he better find a way to stay healthy!

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
For a first game I thought the O Line play was much improved over any time last year. Faniaka looks as if he wants to start in his hometown. Cason is a pro and shuts down the deep ball. Buckner is showing that he can ba an NFL receiver. It will be nice if we can have some local folks on this team.

Didn't Cason get burned on a deep pass from Rodgers??

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Can't be terribly concerned with the run game yet considering that neither Mendenhall and Ellington played.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Nice read Mitch-----I was very happy to see that BA's promises have been addressed, and that the results are very positive. This is not your Grampa's Cardinals. This team is talented, and deep. It is well stocked with playmakers, (all of whom performed well tonight). This is going to be fun football to watch. I sense a beginning of long-term winning here in the desert.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Rams beat us in week one, tonight won't mean crap. Hell, if we win in week one it won't mean crap.

That said, we looked sharp in terms of lining up properly, getting the play calls in promptly, etc. There have been many first preseason games where it looked like we had barely practiced. Obviously, if it had been firsts vs firsts the whole game or first half... certainly not a shut out.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
Palmer and Stanton look to be so much better than what the Cardinals had the last couple of years that fans should be jumping for joy.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I like Hawkins and Brown. DC Jefferson had no hands! Badger is all over the place, I just hope he keeps on the straight and narrow for years to come. I think BA maybe keeping 3 QBs if they all play as well as the did today. I am still concerned with the 1st string D as the first drive by GB was just to easy. Yea they had a great goal line stance, but they shouldn't have to have a stance like that with the talent we have on D.

Mitch, I always look forward to your detailed posts! Thanks for the run down on all the players. Amazing how you can keep an eye on all of them like that. :)

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Rams beat us in week one, tonight won't mean crap. Hell, if we win in week one it won't mean crap.

That said, we looked sharp in terms of lining up properly, getting the play calls in promptly, etc. There have been many first preseason games where it looked like we had barely practiced. Obviously, if it had been firsts vs firsts the whole game or first half... certainly not a shut out.

I'm not so sure. Tonight's game was enlightening IMO. Even in our wins this team has been pretty painful to watch since Warner retired. We had some great defensive moments but for the most part we just weren't an entertaining team. Win or lose come opening week, this team looks like it could be fun to follow if we stay reasonably healthy. We could improve considerably from the past two years and still be a mediocre team but just knowing your team MIGHT actually move the ball down the field is a wonderful change of pace AFAIC.

Steve

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not so sure. Tonight's game was enlightening IMO. Even in our wins this team has been pretty painful to watch since Warner retired. We had some great defensive moments but for the most part we just weren't an entertaining team. Win or lose come opening week, this team looks like it could be fun to follow if we stay reasonably healthy. We could improve considerably from the past two years and still be a mediocre team but just knowing your team MIGHT actually move the ball down the field is a wonderful change of pace AFAIC.

Steve

Truthiness.

On the rare times our offense managed to get beyond three and out the last couple years it they seemed to be heavily reliant on short passes. And thats not to blame the play calling, we had guys open down field but they got ignored or missed. It would be really nice to watch an offense that will still be a threat on long yardage situations.

Only thing that bummed me out tonight was seeing Levi Brown look a lot like the Levi Brown everyone remembered.

TruColor

Trombonist in Roger Goodell's Wedding Rcpt.
Reaction score
I had a dream last night that the Cards signed Derek Anderson to be a backup.

So I guess the nightmares haven't quite stopped yet.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
Very happy watching this offense. Carson Palmer and Drew Stanton both looked good. I think the days of seeing our offense score ten points for a game are over. I am looking forward to seeing Mendenhall and Ellington. I think they will be 1 and 2 when all is said and done. I think we will have a top ten defense and a top 15 offense. With that kind of balance we can be a playoff team if we stay healthy.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Loved the play calling. Arians kept it balanced and aggressive.

I like where this team is going under Steve Keim.

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

I thought we looked weakest in terms of lining up and getting the calls in. We burned two time-outs for alignments and got burned once for having too many men on the field and another for not having enough.

That being said, those things are the easiest to correct. All new staff, working together for the first time, once they get their own processes down it will be corrected.

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Palmer and Stanton look to be so much better than what the Cardinals had the last couple of years that fans should be jumping for joy.

I was fairly impressed with Stanton. Palmer is a clear upgrade, but even Stanton would be an upgrade over every QB we had last year.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nice writeup Mitch. Looks like we finally have a qb. Nice to shut out the Packers in Lambeau even though it means nothing.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05