Beasley arrested for possession of marijuana

Errntknght

Reaction score
Neo
He is probably still going to get playing time because we don't have anybody who is very good to play down low, except for Gortat whose foot is still hurting and Len who may not actually be any good and whose foot and ankle is still hurting. We have to put somebody over 6'9" on the floor and Plumlee and the Morris twins can't take up all the minutes.

I knew we should have kept Haddadi!

Neo

Red Tape Sorter
Reaction score
Could the Suns possibly find a way to void his contract for this arrest or are they just stuck with it no matter what?

An arrest is a lot different from a conviction. At this stage he is still "innocent until proven guilty." Although from what is reported a conviction sounds likely. However, my own experience (as an attorney not defendant) is that what gets written in police reports and what can actually be proven in court end up being very different.

An arrest for smoking pot is probably not a severe enough crime to void his contract unless there is a behavior clause in the contract. I personally don't see this as being as bad as punching one's wife in the face over a french fry, driving 90 in 35 MPH zone with your kid in the car.

Arenas got 30 days in jail and his contract was not voided. We are likely stuck with this bozo.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Its for the best. The guy is poison to his teams and its impossible for young players to learn team basketball if they've got Beasley dragging them down.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What does a player have to do in order for his team/ the league void his contract?
Wasn't Birdman suspended by the league fora year or two few years ago?

Remember the Blazers then President Steve Patterson publicly said they'd void Damon Stoudamires contract if they could but the players union would never allow it. I don't know if that's changed but frankly Stoudamire had a worse track record than Beasley does. Beasley has been suspended by the league before and has prior arrests but Stoudamire actually got off on felony possession due to a judge ruling the search of his home illegal even though police were responding to a burglar alarm and found the door wide open with neighbors saying they saw strange car near the house and that the burglars might still be inside.

Unless the NBA has gotten much stronger on pot since then, I doubt there's much the Suns can do. Unless of course they somehow got very specific language into his contract.

Neo

Red Tape Sorter
Reaction score
I found this gem about Beasley via his DraftExpress profile. It reference an interview with his college coach from the link below.

“I wish my kids will grow up to have his character and I’ve got three of them. He’s phenomenal and he’s a treat to be around. He makes coaching an easy profession. He cares about winning and nothing else. He wants to be the best, so he works at it, but he doesn’t go around thinking he’s the best. He’s receptive to coaching. You could go back and speak to any one he’s ever been a student of, coached by, or played with, and you won’t find one person who will give you a negative comment about Michael Beasley. I was a schoolteacher for many years, and the stuff that he’s done, it was nothing more than a young teenager looking for attention. He’s never placed harm on anybody and he never will place harm on anybody. It’s not in his personality and it’s not who he is. He doesn’t steal, he’s not into drugs and he’s not a gangbanger. He’s a simple kid who enjoys being a kid. He never missed a practice. He’d roll an ankle, but he’d refuse to come out of a drill. He’s an unbelievable person.”
http://www.nba.com/bulls/news/martin_080623.html

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Michael Beasley will never play another minute for the Phoenix Suns.

Thank god. Thanks, Lance! The gift that just keeps giving.

This is the only positive. I think how the Suns handle this financially is key. I think a buyout is the best case scenario although this is probably wishful thinking.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
This is the only positive. I think how the Suns handle this financially is key. I think a buyout is the best case scenario although this is probably wishful thinking.

It will essentially boil down to two potential scenarios...

1.) They pay him the full $9 million he is owed, take it on the chin now and call it a day.

2.) There is a Waive and Stage clause (or something to that effect) in the CBA that would allow the Suns the ability to dump his sorry arse, and payout the remaining $9 million over a 5 year period.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It will essentially boil down to two potential scenarios...

1.) They pay him the full $9 million he is owed, take it on the chin now and call it a day.

2.) There is a Waive and Stage clause (or something to that effect) in the CBA that would allow the Suns the ability to dump his sorry arse, and payout the remaining $9 million over a 5 year period.

I'll take door #1. I'm still hoping there might be a sliver of hope to negotiate a buyout however unlikely.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Beasley should sign with the Nuggets for the vet min. That's the only way he even has a chance at being relevent again

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Maybe the D'backs could hire him to be Mark Grace's assistant.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Beasley should sign with the Nuggets for the vet min. That's the only way he even has a chance at being relevent again

After multiple chances, I don't think this cat will get it until he is much older a la Richard Dumas. When the money is dry and he's doing odd ball jobs to make ends meet, he'll reflect back and go, "damn, I really ****ed up."

Michael

The buzz is back!
Reaction score
There goes the last hope that McD would find any team stupid enough to trade for this *&#%#@&*. The worst player ever to wear the Suns uniform. What a disgrace. Aren't there rules in play that the Suns can terminate Beasley's contract for such behaviour?

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
See, it's funny, because the lottery-ball counters around here are upset that a self-absorbed jerk like Beasley was too self-absorbed off the court to do his very worst on the court so the Suns could get a high draft pick and replace Beasley with a player people actually wanted to watch.

"WTG, Beasley. You couldn't even properly screw up the year," we all seem to be saying.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
See, it's funny, because the lottery-ball counters around here are upset that a self-absorbed jerk like Beasley was too self-absorbed off the court to do his very worst on the court so the Suns could get a high draft pick and replace Beasley with a player people actually wanted to watch.

"WTG, Beasley. You couldn't even properly screw up the year," we all seem to be saying.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It's even funnier than that because some of it was said halfway in jest.

I believe it's in our best long term interests to be really bad this year but I'm not totally in favor of being really bad this year. If they really believe they can put a decent product on the court and build to a championship contender by establishing a winning atmosphere and then adding FA pieces, I'm fine with that too. But Beasley seems a better proposition to play you into a great lottery slot than he is to play you into a competitive position so it's disappointing he's doing what he can to eliminate our options.

Steve

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

You can say that again.

sure.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Beasley should use the Lance Armstrong defense here in response to efforts to void the contract.

"You should have known I was going to do this. I have always done this."

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Beasley is who he is. No surprise here. He's used up more opportunities than he deserves and surely will blow through the money he didn't rightfully earn. He's a cliché. In a few years we'll see a few stories about a broke and changed man who regrets the selfish and spoiled behavior of his youth. How his revelations will have come too late to save any chance of a career in the NBA. Blah... Blah... Blah... This story has been told again and again in pro sports. It's boring and pathetic. It's disgusting to see someone squander opportunities most will never have, to see someone so unappreciative of the blessed path he's been offered time and time again. You're a sad human being Michael Beasley.

I hope the Suns just cut him and eat the cap hit for the next 2 seasons. Sure they can spread it out over 5 years, but I'd prefer to eat it now and be rid of his taint sooner than later. The Suns aren't going to win for the next few years anyway so no reason to keep his name on the roster to save a few million in cap space any longer than necessary. Good riddance Beasley. I'll see those stories in a few years and shake my head in disgust. Not disgust at you, but rather that someone felt you deserved another opportunity to be relevant again.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The following article written by Paul Coro at azcentral dated 8-7-13 helps clarify the Suns options in terminating Beasley's contract. Also it talks about Gortat's ailing foot. See link below.

If the Suns are not able to get out of the contract because of this case or Scottsdale police’s investigation into an allegation of sexual assault, the Suns could cut ties with Beasley with a “stretch provision” allowed under the current CBA for a player signed after July 1, 2011.

Beasley is guaranteed $6 million in salary for the coming season, and half of his $6 million salary for 2014-15 is guaranteed. By waiving him under the stretch provision this summer, the Suns could take that $9 million of guaranteed salary and pay it over five years and choose whether it counted against the salary cap over two years or five years. If they waited to waive him until after Sept. 1, they would pay him $6 million and stretch the remaining guaranteed $3 million over three years for a lesser cap hit in future years.

Suns center Marcin Gortat has left the Polish national team’s training for the upcoming European Championship in order to return to Phoenix and have a sore right foot checked.

It is the same foot he sprained last season, causing him to miss the final 21 games. At the time, Gortat theorized that his extensive national-team work last summer played a factor in his first serious NBA injury.

I think the Suns would be better off waiting until September 1st to stretch the remainder of Beasley's contract. IMO, Gortat needs to stay in Phoenix and rehabilitate the foot.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/sun...ricky-costly-phoenix-suns.html?nclick_check=1

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Why stretch it? Just bite the bullet now. You're going to be terrible anyway.

It would be pretty awful if, for example, 4 years from now the Suns are close to making a big move but can't pull it off because of the few million that Beasley is costing them.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why stretch it? Just bite the bullet now. You're going to be terrible anyway.

It would be pretty awful if, for example, 4 years from now the Suns are close to making a big move but can't pull it off because of the few million that Beasley is costing them.

Agreed - eat it now.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just cut him. If he gets picked up by anyone, including foreign teams, whatever he gets paid comes off what the Suns owe him. They don't need the cap space now and someone may take a flyer for the vet min and save them 800k or so.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's even funnier than that because some of it was said halfway in jest.

I believe it's in our best long term interests to be really bad this year but I'm not totally in favor of being really bad this year. If they really believe they can put a decent product on the court and build to a championship contender by establishing a winning atmosphere and then adding FA pieces, I'm fine with that too. But Beasley seems a better proposition to play you into a great lottery slot than he is to play you into a competitive position so it's disappointing he's doing what he can to eliminate our options.

Steve

I'd much rather watch a young, athletic team struggle and grow together than Beasley's sorry ass. It was a pain to watch. Good riddance.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just cut him. If he gets picked up by anyone, including foreign teams, whatever he gets paid comes off what the Suns owe him. They don't need the cap space now and someone may take a flyer for the vet min and save them 800k or so.

Pretty sure the cap hit is locked in, if someone else signs him it just deducts some of the actual cash the Suns have to pay.

And I agree with the general sentiment here. Dont bother to stretch him, just cut him and be done with it. I dont want to spend the next 5 years having to be reminded "Dont forget Beasley is owed 1.8 mil" every time someone tries to figure out our cap space.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake