Bell,Diaw,Singletary out....Jason Richardson,Jared Dudley,'2010 2nd rd pick in

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
Kerr hires a new defensive-minded coach, starts the season feeding us with "defense wins championships" banter, and a month and an half into the season he trades our 2 less worse defenders (let's say they were "average") for a guy who can't really play defense (Kerr described him as "an excellent defensive player" though, yipee !). That makes sense ?

Bell was a good defender, now he is average. Diaw is an average defender as well and while Richardson isnt going to improve the defense, it isnt going to get much worse either.

The trade makes both the perimeter and the post defense worse, doesn't solve the backup PG problem and leaves the Suns with Lopez and Amundson to back up Amare and Shaq... And it doesn't make much sense from a financial point of view either (it saves Sarver 2M this year though, he'll probably need it).

Bell is not a lockdown defender anymore and like I said above, losing Diaw and Bell doesnt exactly kill your defense.

The backup PG problem will be solved with another trade or by signing a free agent, not hard to see.

Lopez and Dudley are the back ups in the front court and Amundson is going to see limited minutes.

Fiscally, it makes a ton of sense, because Kerr moved Diaw and his terrible contract for a better player who has a contract that will be easier to move for 2010 if needed and expires for 2011 when the Suns will have the cap to offer Carmelo a max offer, not to mention the '11 class is loaded as well.

He's known for being a nice guy and all, but he's streaky and not really clutch, that's why he's a second-tier starting SG and not an all-star. And Dudley may be promising but unfortunately there's not much playing time for another tweener on this team.

Yeah, I agree with you on Richardon, however he is the better player over Diaw and Bell. While Richardson may not have been driving/slashing as much, he is a huge asset for this team in the half court, because he stretches the defense much better than Bell ever did.

As for Dudley, yeah he is a tweener, but so what. He has played well and is a very solid SF/PF off the bench. He is consistent, a good passer, hits the glass (especially offensive) and he is effective as a PF.

I still hope that Kerr will trade Barbosa for a decent big man and find a way to sign a solid veteran backup PG. If all that happens, then the Richardson trade makes some sense. But for now, this team is nothing more than a first round exitee, as it was a week ago, and I still don't understand what Kerr's doing except messing with the team chemistry. Blast me for that.

I am with you on Barbosa being traded, but they need to move him for someone with a short contract (expiring by 2010) and a young player or a pick.

This very well may be a 1st round exit team, but adding Richardson shows that management isnt going to blow up this team to rebuild. Kerr is trying to rebuild while still trying to win. It isnt easy, but the Richardson trade fits perfectly into the trying to win while rebuilding mode.

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
Larry Brown. That guy kills me. The one article about this trade nailed it with this guy. They said Larry Brown is a control freak and will make decisions sometimes just to show who is in charge.

Exactly, just watch what Charlotte moves Gerald Wallace for...

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
Every chance he gets:

Oh no, here goes Shaq again complaining about his touches:

"I could average 27 and 10 in this league easily," O'Neal said. "Easily. In this conference, in this league, easily. Eyes closed.
"I can but I've got to get the opportunities. I'm not really the first option on this team but when I get it down there, I'll do what I do. Like I told everybody, 'You want me to be [COLOR=green! important][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][COLOR=green! important][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Shaq[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR]?' Then I've got to get the Shaq touches and Shaq opportunities. I just can't be taking five shots . . . and then you look at me like I'm old. I could average 27 and 10 until I'm 50."

msdundee

Registered
Reaction score
He did kind of forget to mention again how many days off between games he needs to take if we expect him to be "Shaq." He already told us one day isn't enough.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05